Hubpages v Squidoo

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (17 posts)
  1. sasta10 profile image60
    sasta10posted 12 years ago

What are you thoughts on this matter?

Which one do you prefer?

Personally I have been using Hubpages and think it is great but recently i have been using Squidoo. Not sure which i prefer better yet

Tell us What you think?

1. Ms Dee profile image87
      Ms Deeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've newly published on about four different sites this weekend to get some backlinking and of the ones I posted on, I found Squidoo the hardest to navigate. Actually, my post has not gone live yet because an email has not arrived to verify my activation after several attempts. So am waiting for them to get to my request for help I submitted. sad

2. vexez profile image64
      vexezposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I do prefer Hubpages than Squidoo.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 12 years ago

I tried Squidoo once, ages ago, and was not impressed - but I think I misunderstood the model.

Based on my HubPages experience, I expected my Squidoo lens to get some traffic without much promotion.  That's the only advantage of rev-sharing sites in my opinion - the fact that you get traffic just by being part of a bigger site.  If I'm going to have to spend time promoting, I may as well use my own website, because I can promote that more efficiently than promoting multiple individual articles.

So I wrote a few lenses, then left them to mature - and they disappeared out of sight, and so I abandoned Squidoo.

I now understand that for a lens to be successful, you have to do some internal promotion on Squidoo first. I haven't really looked into it so I can't give you details. 

The main difference is that HubPages was slaughtered by the Panda updates and is still trying to recover,whereas Squidoo got its Google slap years ago and was less badly hit this time.  So my guess is that if you use the site correctly, Squidoo should have more potential for natural traffic right now.

3. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

I have always read that Squidoo was good for backlinking. I've tried it two separate times and both times found it to be too time consuming and difficult to navigate.
    I too was not impressed..wink

4. daybreak profile image79
    daybreakposted 12 years ago

I tried both tools a few years back when there were plenty of topics that had not been taken.

At the time, I strongly favored Squidoo and focused my efforts there. My primary reason for using both sites was backlinking, but as the number of lenses grew, the idea of generating income seemed worthwhile.

Several years have passed and now income from my lenses is much greater than from hubs.

Sadly, Squidoo seems to be saturated at present. Also their constant changing and lack of communication between HQ and their members has sparked an exodus.

I no longer create new lenses because of the problems associated with the site but I am glad to have gotten involved during the early stages.

I think a lot of the older lensmasters are just trying to maintain their portfolios as long as they are productive.

I continue making new hubs and since the subdomain switch happened, I am even more encouraged.

In the last year or so I have decided to go back to basics and focus on the SEO related benefits of both sites. If I earn income as well, that is a bonus.

5. Jonathan Janco profile image61
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

I have a Squidoo account because of a series of stories I wrote that are way too erotic for HubPages. I havent published them yet but I also find Squidoo kind of difficult to navigate.

6. Glen619 profile image60
    Glen619posted 12 years ago

I started on Squidoo and HubPages together around November last year and since then i have multiple squidoo lenses and Hubs.

Squidoo requires more time in creating a good lens but i hardly got any traffic from Google out there it was mostly Squidoo members, just that recently Squidoo has become really boring because of the changes made in its forum.

HubPages on the other hand was not as sparking as i was fully engrossed in Squidoo but since the last six months i have paid more interest in building my Hub profile and have seen that it is more efficient in getting traffic and also it keeps helps me write quality articles.

In my opinion HubPages Rocks big_smile

7. Helena Ricketts profile image91
    Helena Rickettsposted 12 years ago

I had three Squidoo lenses.  One is still live on the site and the other two were never published even though I had hit the button for them to go live multiple times.  Squidoo's reason for not publishing the two was that I would have to promote them on my own using the individual url for each lense.  Once they received enough traffic that way, they would be released on the site and would be able to be found in the search.

It didn't make sense to me so I went ahead and deleted them because I was tired of seeing the red.  Their revenue potential was sucky anyway (is sucky really a word?).

Personally, I don't like Squidoo.  It's too complex and not very user friendly.  I've only been on HubPages for a month and I really like it.  It is easier to navigate, easier to promote my articles and understand how to get things done.

Just my two cents.  smile

1. formosangirl profile image80
      formosangirlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why don't you save those articles somewhere and then delete the articles off Squidoo and published them here at HP. I have invested 21 days at Squidoo, and with all of the controversy regarding low payouts for tier 2 and tier 3, i thought I better check HP out. However, here I found that people made 1 cent in 5 weeks. That's slavery. So, I am trying to look to see how I can possibly fair in these sites.

8. viryabo profile image94
    viryaboposted 12 years ago

I started writing on Squidoo before i came over to HP. I'm not too impressed with them, and i find their interface a bit garish. Plus earnings SUCK big time.

I've made on Squidoo, in 1 year, what i make in a day here at HP. I decided to work here and 'chuck' them because of that. I made a few Amazon sales there though.

My 7 lenses there are still live, but they are barely 'kicking'.

9. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

Yeah Squidoo earnings are pretty terrible for me unfortunately sad

10. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 12 years ago

I don't have a preference, I use both and both are productive and profitable for me.

In each case, I was lucky enough to start right out when the sites were first beginning, and that has made it easier on both as far as knowing the intentions behind their creation and learning new features as they were invented. 

The most important thing to realize is that although they both are places where people can create content and earn from a share of affiliate revenue, they are not the same type of website and operate really quite differently, so being successful with either is the result of different actions and methods.  Neither is a get-rich-quick solution, both take significant work if you want consistent earnings.  I don't do backlinking or social networking promotion for my content on either. 

It's thanks to these two sites that I got to give up having a conventional day job.

1. Janet21 profile image80
      Janet21posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I second that.

11. anasshad profile image77
    anasshadposted 12 years ago

Hubpages and Squidoo are tough competitors. The features are almost the same but the difference is in traffic. Hubpages provide much more traffic to new hubs than Squidoo provides. So the best choice for new ones is Hubpages.

12. AEvans profile image70
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

Hubpages! More friendly and not so sterile.

13. toygurus profile image56
    toygurusposted 12 years ago

I love both Squidoo and hubpages. Hubpages is great if you want a standardized layout. You don't have to spend anytime building backlinks. In fact, promoting you own hubs are discouraged. Squidoo is a whole lot more powerful especially when it comes to layouts and promotion.

If you know css you can create some superb looking lens where hubpages all pretty much look the same. You will have to spend more time on squidoo promoting your site onsite and offsite. This is actually encouraged and is a great stepping stone to creating your own websites. For many hubbers it may be too difficult.

The payouts are also pretty different. Hubpages pays per click where squidoo pay based on rank.

I think that hubpages is a great short term strategy but squidoo is a great long term strategy. Either can work if you put in the effort. As long as you are producing quality content it doesn't matter which platform you choose.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)