Theft of subject? Please, advise.

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Haunty profile image74
    Hauntyposted 12 years ago

Last night I published a hub called 'How Birth Order Affects Personality Traits.' Today I got a comment which said something to the effect of 'this is a great hub compared to the others I read on the subject.' So it made me wonder what she was talking about, and to my horror, I realized that the same subject has been covered time and again on HubPages.

Now, I thought this was an interesting and unique subject so I invested hours of research into doing a hub on it. I even cited my source, so it's no secret where the information came from. I had no knowledge of the existence of the other hubs. If you travel to them individually (which you can do by opening mine and looking at the related hubs column on the right hand side), you will see that I must not have taken them into account while writing mine.

Still, the subject is the same, the facts are quite the same. Even the titles are very similar. What shall I do? Shall I unpublish my hub? Can this be considered theft in any way?Please, advise.

1. CASE1WORKER profile image62
      CASE1WORKERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I had this dilemna and I e mailed the author who said that this bound to happen and not to worry. Don't unpublish, it is just coincidental!

2. michifus profile image57
      michifusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I find the best way is to check a subject by searching on hubpages before OI write/research a hub. If I find that there are a load of hubs on the topic, I wont bother with it. If there are only a few, or if my particular keywords are not covered then Ill carry on.

Some topics have thousands of hubs so I wouldn't worry about it, and certainly don't unpublish it! But if you want to make sure you get decent traffic it helps if you don't have so much competition, so a quick check to start with is always worthwhile!

Good hub BTW!

2. QuestionMaster profile image79
    QuestionMasterposted 12 years ago

The internet is two decades old - it's close to impossible that subjects haven't been covered before.

The big difference though, is that you bring your own thoughts, views and experience to the topic. It's only theft if you either copy someone elses work entirely or paraphrase it, without adding any of your own thoughts.

There are many subjects on hubpages that have been covered dozens of times - and if you can write a hub better than others on the topic, good for you!

3. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

Even when writing fiction there is supposed to be a limited number of plots that can be written. Therefore it is said that no one can come up with a story line that is not based on one of the known scenarios. Yet each time a writer creates a story they are able to create a tale that has never been told before.

This may not seem relevant as the OP is about a factual hub. But to me it is; as it is even less likely that we can write on a topic that has never been covered before.

As you clearly state you did not use others hubs to create your own then as I see it you had the correct approach.

From what you say you have created a well researched hub and it may answer the questions a reader has better than some of the other material on the net.

4. Haunty profile image74

@CASE1WORKER - Thanks. It's good to know you've had this experience and the author had no problem with it. Probably, I won't unpublish my hub then.

@michifus - Great advice! I was super silly to not do this check in the first place. Thanks for the compliment too.

@QuestionMaster - Thanks. I agree, it's probably impossible to find a subject that brings up something new. I don't write better hubs, I just write my type of stuff.

5. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

I agree with the other posters, Haunty. No one can "own" a topic. For example, I'll bet there are tons of recipes online for homemade biscuits, including several here on HP. You didn't copy someone else's work, so you're good to go!

6. Haunty profile image74

@2uesday - Thanks. That's a great analogy, especially since it works in my favor. wink

7. Haunty profile image74

Thanks, habee! smile

8. Hollie Thomas profile image61
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

When I first starting writing here I used to search to see if hubs had been written on a similar subject. I quickly realized that if you decided not to go ahead and write a hub because the topic had been covered you'd rarely write anything. Now I don't bother looking to see if the topics been covered, I just write and even when the topic has been covered, you may have new information to give or approach the subject from a different angle.

Hauntyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can see your point. I wanted to write about the age of the earth, but then found out that topic has been covered like 5 times. Which is not surprising give its totally unoriginal nature. Then I wanted to write about mass extinctions. To my dismay, I found that's also been covered.

9. Hollie Thomas profile image61
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

If you hadn't have checked you'd have probably gone ahead and written those hubs. When I want information on a topic I'll often read several articles which cover the subject. Even though some of the information may be duplicated there's always a new angle or more information to be gleaned. I think you should go ahead and write those hubs.smile

Hauntyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. Wanna hear something funny? This illustrates your point very well, I think. I just checked out your profile and I found a hub on the Cassowary bird. (misspelling in title) I also have one on the same subject. But mine is an early hub and one that I would personally call substandard. Yours is so much better, so it was totally worth writing it.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
        Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. I actually had no idea you'd written one on the topic, I didn't search to see. I'm sure yours is not substandard at all. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)