Amanda Knox is freed

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (75 posts)
  1. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Amanda Knox has been freed by the court of appeal. I am tempted to think money talks. Your opinion?

1. K9keystrokes profile image85
      K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Without a doubt Izzy.

2. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I thought she was innocent. It appears no one else here did.

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Interesting. Why did you think she was innocent? There must have at least one piece of evidence, or lack of, that made you think that.

3. Karen N profile image69
      Karen Nposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm really not sure if she was innocent or not but reports are that the evidence was tainted.  If this is true I really don't see how they could convict her.

4. Paul Wingert profile image60
      Paul Wingertposted 12 years agoin reply to this

None of us were that at the first trial to make any judgement. Either way, good for her!

1. IzzyM profile image86

And the girl that died? Good for her too?

We don't need to be at a trial to make a judgement.

I still don't know if she did it or not, but I strongly dislike the US arrogance of saying she didn't do it when the Italians said she did.

Do you think they are a third world country?

1. Paul Wingert profile image60

I didn't say nothing about the propaganda surrounding this case or the victim. Apparently her murder is still out there. I'm talking about Knox and Knox only. It's point obvious that the Italian court changed their mind or she'd still be in prison. This is a case of someone wrongly convicted.

The way they run their court system, they might as well be a thrid world country and that goes for some areas here in the states.

1. IzzyM profile image86

From what I could see, Amanda Knox got off on a technicality. The evidence surrounding the knife incident - DNA etc, plus the bra clasp that wasn't found till weeks later, was enough to convince the jury that the conviction was unsound.

That is the way the law works in all first world countries.

Doesn't make it right, because a lot of this evidence, or doubts surrounding it, were presented at the original trial, and the jury then had to take it all into consideration, plus all the other evidence of the trial.

This jury only had to think about this particular part of the case. That is why it is a technicality.

Well-paid lawyers aren't well-paid for nothing. They can go over evidence with a fine tooth comb, and if anything is remotely doubtful, can appeal, as happened in this case.

There is always doubt in a trial without overwhelming evidence one way or the other.
            But the original trial jury were presented with every aspect of the case. You have to trust their judgement, else there is no such thing as justice at all.

She got off on a technicality, That doesn't make her innocent and it doesn't bring poor Meredith Kercher back to life.

It just stops another young life from being ruined.

When is that book coming out?

Doesn't make her guilty either. Tainted DNA and no real physical evidence tieing them to the crime. I'm done with this topic. Next!!

5. profile image0
      Ginny Kingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why would a young woman who had arrived in a new country just  two months earlier murder another young lady.???? Wake up and smell the coffee!

1. IzzyM profile image86

Is that a rich Italian blend of coffee? Mmmmmmm!

Your first statement doesn't make any sense.

6. Joe Badtoe profile image58
      Joe Badtoeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not a lot of noise coming from the Death Penalty advocates on this...Irrespective of whether she's guilty or not.  Is that because she's young white and considered attractive? I suspect she won't show a fear of impending fame either. How could anyone do 4 years jailtime, accuse someone else of the murder,change her story and then walk? Police incompetence to blame?

1. IzzyM profile image86

And now it is only the black guy doing time, and it was said at his trial he did not act alone.
        I think racism is alive and well.

2. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

Let Penthouse and Playboy begin the bidding war....

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure Greek One you would never partake.lol

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

i'm a happily married man... i gave up sexy psychos when I said 'I do'

Well, at least you didn't marry one. See, there's always someone worse off than yourself. :0)

3. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

I honestly don't know whether she's innocent or not. I know the legal system in Italy is different to that in the UK, but once they've decided on what is or is not admissable evidence the jurors are left with a few tidbits. I don't think we'll ever know.

4. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

I've never heard of Amanda Knox.

There's been an ongoing court case in Italy. A.Knox was accused, along with her boyfriend and another man, of murdering her fellow student and housemate, in what was claimed to be a sex game which had gone wrong.

5. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 12 years ago

she looked a bit shifty in the eyes.....oh well, if she does the same again then maybe she will rot in prison, who knows? the legal system is a load of pants anyway in most countries.....

Well, it is. But we can't make a massive judgement like this based on the look of the eyes smile

1. waynet profile image68
        waynetposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Of course we can....you can tell a lot from someones shifty looking eyes....it says Guilty! Guilty! and more Guilty!!!!!!

That's like the classic ' He showed no remorse' statement. Probably the expression in the eyes and lack of remorse is more to do with the situation they have found themselves in.

Yes, it's the situation they found themselves in that gave them shifty looking eyes....the guilty eyes of a horse faced clown who just wanted to have some monkey sex that went wrong.....

The eyes always give away the shifty looking nature of guilty guilty guilty!!!!!!

Thank goodness I'm not AK and thank goodness your not a juror.

Well, she is free to do the same again if she wishes with an invincible air to her freedom, but those who get caught up in stuff do so of their own free will and she was right in the thick of it!

Ok, I get where you're coming from with the eyes, in normal situations that is. But I once had to give evidence in court ( no, I was not the acussed smile) But I was absolutely terrified. I must have looked like a startled gazelle, or a bunny in the headlights. I sounded ridiculous when I gave evidence, made a complete fool of myself and must have had zero credibility. See where I'm going with this. smile

Sure there's the whole startled "oh no" thing, but the underlying look of guilty is obvious to an experienced person with body language expertise on her whole mannerisms and the way she carried herself throughout trial and the public media of news!

6. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

Ahh, I see. I don't read murder stories usually, hence my ignorance.

It's been shown on the news, now and again. Odd really when you consider there are murder trials in this country that never make it into the national news.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Most murder trials in the UK or elsewhere don't make the news. trust me on that one, I know.
        They only make the news if someone contacts a newspaper and asks them to include it.

And even then the newspapers can be silenced on all kinds of grounds.

7. CASE1WORKER profile image61
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

rather shocked here

8. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Gotta agree with Waynet here, the eyes always tell the truth, and I didn't like hers!

@writeangled, murder took place in Italy of a young English Leeds uni student on gap year, 4 years ago?

Amanda Knox was a US roommate, and she was convicted along with her Italian boyfriend and a black guy from ?Nigeria who used to hang around.

Newspapers said sex game gone wrong - Meredith, the girl who was murdered, had her throat slashed but there was evidence she had recently had sexual relations - I don't know who with - did the DNA tell us that?

9. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

What normal person do you know does cartwheels in a police station when taken in for questioning over something as grisly as a murder?

Alarm bells ringing loud and clear.

Yeah,, but that's the point I've just raised with Waynenet, too many weird things happened.

10. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago
  11. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

What's strange is that the girl who was murdered was a student in Leeds (UK) for a time, so when I lived there, the local sympathy was with the murdered girl and was sceptical of Knox.  Now I am over here in the US, the media are much more sympathetic to Knox!

I think it has a lot more to do with media portrayal of events, rather than the events themselves. As always smile

That I will agree on....the events can be shown in such a way with different countries news that may give a sympathetic eye...but her eyes were just GUILTY! .........

Waynet, you are cheeky smile

I know I am...er all 4 of them...them cheeks! smile

Those cheeks. I actually was not thinking about your bum, but now you've just added a whole new dimension to this post :lol:lol:

Well, I often talk out of my bum according to my wife....lol!

Wives always no best. Earnest, I'm sure, will back me up on this. smile

Somehow I don't think he's a wife lol! lolololol hahahaha lol!

2. earnestshub profile image80
              earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Humour in the threads again.... thank all that is good.

big_smile

12. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

It must be a nightmare for the bereaved family.

It must be. If that was my daughter I'd want to be sure that the real murderer had been caught. Whether that's A.Knox or not. Just some justice.

13. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

It's not over yet. Under Italian law prosecution have the right to appeal the sentence.
    I have not followed the case closely, but today's news claims the DNA evidence was tainted.

The Prosecution are sure to appeal.

If they do appeal, what do you think the chances of the US agreeing to extrodite her back to Italy? I got money saying zero to no chance.

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree. From the press I have seen I'm backing zero as well. smile In light of the option to appeal being available to prosecution, it must have taken a bit of "leverage" to get her on a plane for the States.;

That's if the court grants the appeal. Since her boyfriends lives in Italy, he'd be screwed. But in Amanda's case, they're SOL.

14. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

You bore. Your wife gave those cheeks a slap lol lol

15. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 12 years ago

I was shocked at my own reaction this morning when I saw she had been released. I tried not to read about this story when it was all over the news, I hate that sort of media circus and don't want them selling newspapers. I think that media circuses get in the way of real justice happening, people can become motivated to arrest someone so they look good in the public light. So when I felt total relief for this woman and even started crying, I was sort of shocked to respond like that. I think for me, on the little of the story I did see while watching the news in the mornings for weather reports (working outside I pay close attention to if I am going to be rained on or not) was that they were making a pigs ear of it right from the start. I didn't really think she was going to get a fair trial and wasn't convinced she was guilty.

There was another more local story here of a nurse who was charged with tampering with vials of medications at a hospital that resulted in a number of patient deaths. They were calling her the death nurse, and to me it felt the same way. Like they were rushing to charge someone. The nurse got off in the end and was reported to say she had been totally shocked to be called the death nurse, it had been unreal. I imagine that is how Amanda felt during all that happened when she was first arrested (assuming she was innocent, which we are likely to never know) and could easily explain why she acted 'oddly'. To me she acted like an innocent person who can't believe any of this is really serious. I feel for her and hope she was innocent, cause the book deals and interviews should give her a comfy life from here on out.

16. justanie profile image60
    justanieposted 12 years ago

Yeah,I feel she's innocent,maybe a set or foul play was involved in her accusation but whatever be the case someone has to lose a case and another has to win.Her luck I guess.

17. Karen N profile image69
    Karen Nposted 12 years ago

I did find a quote online where Guede allegedly states that he did have help but that it wasn't Knox and her boyfriend.

18. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

One of the things I heard (I think) about the appeals process in Italy is this:  the appeals court or board is made up of a few judges and several private citizens, and they are allowed to request any information they would like to see or review.  I may not have accurate information about that, but it sounds like they can request information that was not presented by the lawyers.  That would sound like a good thing to me.

In the US, a case can normally be appealed only when some new evidence (not available or not found at the time of the original trial) has come to light or when the lawyers can make a case that there was a flaw in the original trial, some incorrect procedure.  That places a limit on which cases can actually be moved into an appeals court.

As widely covered as this case was, we were still not there to hear the evidence and arguments, either in the original trial or in the appeal.  I hate it when guilty people are allowed to go free - whether on a technicality or otherwise - but I also hate it, maybe even more, when innocent people are locked up because of poorly interpreted evidence or because they didn't act the way we think innocent people should.  I don't know which has happened in this case, but I hope for justice for all of the victims of this tragedy.  All of them.

She is now back on US soil, back in Seattle to be exact  (2 hr drive for me) and the Italian prosecuter can appeal all he wants. What he wants and what he gets are two different things. Maybe, or maybe not, the Italians will find justice for the murder victim. I do hope they do find him or her. Whether Amanda knew who did it, or not ,or had any part of it, or not, this world will never know. Only she does and that's something she'll take to the grave. The bottom line, the evidence didn't tie her to the crime and the Italian judge(s) threw out her conviction based on faulty evidence presented in the trial and that's that. End of story.

1. Aficionada profile image79
        Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My reference to the appeals process was an explanation of the appeal that has already taken place and that overturned her conviction.  It was intended to underscore the fact that those of us commenting here in this thread do not have all of the information that the appeals court (or board or whatever) was able to access and evaluate, as I wrote here:  "As widely covered as this case was, we were still not there to hear the evidence and arguments, either in the original trial or in the appeal."  And it was a reminder to us that all we are doing now is speculating, based only on what has been reported in the media or on our own assumptions.

19. AngelTrader profile image58
    AngelTraderposted 12 years ago

What I find disturbing is the prospect of Knox making millions out of Meredith Kercher's murder. While she has been released by the Italian courts many people still believe she was involved so for her sake I hope she meets the Kercher family and offers to share the proceeds from her deals with them or donate to charity.

The brutal death of this young woman, stabbed 47 times no less, seems to have been forgotten in the media circus surrounding Knox. It is distasteful in the extreme and illustrates the banality of the main stream media today. Rather than venerating her as a victim the press should be pushing the Italian authorities into finding the others involved.

Just spare a thought for the Kercher family who have no closure and are "back to square one".

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)