Is Amanda Knox a victim of "Anti Americanism"

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (29 posts)
  1. BillWest165 profile image58
    BillWest165posted 12 years ago

Even after the evidence in the case was completely discredited. Most British and Italian people including the victims family continue to believe the bizarre "sex orgy" theory concocted by the corrupt italian prosecutor. I think Amanda was just a surrogate for the United States. And Italians and Europeans just wanted to get her for that reason. After all the U.S has done and continues to do for Europe. I think it's disgusting.

1. recommend1 profile image61
      recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think so, as she was clearly on the scene and there is a dead person - so I would say that her being guilty is quite a high probability, anyone who has played cluedo can tell you that.

The fact that she has been shown in corroborative evidence to be a lying deceiptful young lady probably does not help.

Calling the legal system of another country corrupt and ignoring your own corruption is like calling Guantanemo Bay a hotel.

All that America has done for Europe has been paid for with interest, financially and in blood, anything it continues to do is for its own narrow and increasingly belligerant purposes.

1. BillWest165 profile image58
        BillWest165posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow. Another angry America hater. And there is no evidence she was even there.

If pointing out the twaddle in your post makes me anti-american then I guess most people here will come under the same banner.  You have no grounds for calling me either angry or american-hater.

1. Petra Vlah profile image60
            Petra Vlahposted 12 years agoin reply to this

don't take it to heart; anyone who tells it as it is becomes anti-American, antisemite, anti-guy, or a misguided bigot

2. Amanda Severn profile image93
        Amanda Severnposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There were so many difficulties with this case. The fact that Amanda Knox tried to implicate someone who was proven to be 100% innocent certainly didn't help, and her bizarre antics such as turning cartwheels in the police station, made her appear detached and unsympathetic towards the victim. This isn't about her being American, in fact that is an insulting and ridiculous assertion. This is about a young lady whose behaviour in challenging circumstances deviated wildly from the expected norm. With so much media coverage, everyone is an amateur detective these days, and rightly or wrongly, Amanda Knox would make the perfect Agatha Christie style villain.

3. lyndre profile image59
        lyndreposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Couldn't have said it better

2. Hugh Williamson profile image76
      Hugh Williamsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I doubt that we'll ever know whether justice was done or not in this case. The prosecutor's case rested on tainted evidence, as was proved by the Italian's own court appointed experts.

If the case had not been publicized as it was, I doubt that there would have been such a thorough appeal - and being American certainly helped the publicity. So, I think it actually helped her case.

No one likes it when a foreigner is accused of a crime in their own country. The Italians have never seemed anti-American to me. They probably have a few ignorant conspiracy fools like everywhere else (who blame the U.S. for all the world's problems) but Italy as a whole seems pretty fair-minded.

1. Petra Vlah profile image60
        Petra Vlahposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Amanda is only a victim of her own stupidity and should be convicted of promiscuity and lack of judgement - her 4 years in prison have nothing to do with the fact that she is American

1. Hugh Williamson profile image76
          Hugh Williamsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't see how your post relates to mine. I said I thought if anything, being American worked in Knox's favor. I don't know if she committed murder, and I'm sure no one posting here does either.

Ques: Should someone be convicted of murder because... "she has a stiff upper lip with a thinly veiled arrogance that would fool only the naive."

Taking issue with policies of the American Gov't is not the same as being Anti-American. If it was, myself and many other Americans would be considered anti-americans. Right now there are thousands of protesters in our streets fighting Wall St. greed and many legal professionals volunteering their time to fight capital punishment, civil wrongs and financial fraud. That's walking the walk.

Foreigners are also able to protest against these same issues. Write to the U.S. Embassy, E-mail American news media, organize a rally, post a sign or boycott American products.
          Merely posting angry foolishness in the forums never changed anyone's mind about anything.

Also, why would stereotyping Americans be OK but stereotyping other groups be wrong? This is justified -- how?

2. BillWest165 profile image58

Ms. Vlah. So we are giving people 4 years in prison for promiscuity and lack of judgement now.

3. Will Apse profile image87
      Will Apseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Poor old America, so cruelly picked on by the rest of the world. It needs more guns.

4. Joe Badtoe profile image59
      Joe Badtoeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

'Everybody hates US' - way to go with that diplomatic fervour Billy boy you sure know how to engage folk in a balanced debate. The road to peace won't be built with your hands Billy boy.

5. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do you really think Europeans are anti-America? Honestly?

I love Americans! They talk just they do on the movies, except US tourists always seem to have really fat arses and colorful trousers to match.

It's almost like they are saying - "hey look at me, I'm an American tourist!"

That is the only thing we laugh at, honestly.

I have a very strong suspicion that Amanda Knox is guilty. It is possible she doesn't remember doing it. That happens when you are spaced out, apparently.

But I do believe what goes round, comes round, so she will get hers at some point in her life.

It is sickening that she is flying home to millions in books deals etc, while her poor victim's family could barely afford to go to the hearings.

But hey who cares about her, she was British..a nothing, according to you.

6. IzzyM profile image86

Which is what exactly?

Oh you won the war! You didn't even join in until after Pearl harbour was bombed.

7. KFlippin profile image61
      KFlippinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Seems to me I've heard that the actual judge who let her go said she was convicted in part based on her being percieved as an American, a rich American?  Which of course she is not. If she is innocent, which I actually believe she is, then she has lost 4 years of her life in part due to anti-American perceptions.......darn, is that thus an event that supports Obama's international apologetic efforts to make America more globally acceptable, to some degree?  Hmmm...one would think his early speechifying and his election and more speechifying would have seen Italian opinions soften against Americans and against Amanda before she was convicted, but don't recall which year she was sentenced.......but perhaps it did just that, as she has come home, or there are Italians with integrity and minds of their own.

1. IzzyM profile image86

OMG is the US full of anti-world sentiments?

You heard...where did you hear? Please quote the sources. I have never heard that, and what's more I don't believe it.

Your Press is running wild.

This wasn't some wee Italian lassie that was murdered. She was British. When you are busy deciding that every other race on Earth is inferior in your defence of Amanda Knox, try remembering that it could be your daughter next.

Now, if Amanda Knox is innocent, as in 'actually didn't do it', she deserves her time spent in jail for the the torment she put others through by naming people that had nothing to do with it.

She is a liar, a druggie, and a self-righteous little madam, but that's OK because she is American! (according to you).

1. KFlippin profile image61
          KFlippinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ha Ha, talk to the Judge who made the decision, read his comments.  Fiction is not my forte in regard to fact, although I do understand it is very much so that of some factions.

Addendum:  Would you say she deserves time spent in jail if this case had been in America?  Is 4 years a set term for succumbing to overwhelming interrogation and fear and naming someone else as the perpetrator?  Didn't think so.....we worry about trying and convicting known terrorists, protecting their rights....but throw Amanda under the bus?  smile  Amazing.....

1. IzzyM profile image86

Money talks. Even to judges.vHave you heard about the power the Bilderbergers have? New world Order? One World Order? Illuminati?

Not saying they were involved in this case, of course.

But they have little to do with justice and truth.

2. BillWest165 profile image58

Kflippin. thanks for being the voice of reason ijn this post. The rest are just proving my point.

Yeah !  way to go Billy boy !!   one agrees with you and is the voice of reason and everyone else thinks you are wrong and so they all become anti-americans - way to go Bubba !  big_smile

8. Gordon Hamilton profile image93
      Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What a strange post and question! The first and most obvious question is what are your credentials to speak for British and Italian people? How many years have you lived in Britain or Italy and how intimate are you with British and Italian cultures? Are you even in fact an American - you seem to hide your nationality and everything with regard to your personality. Why? Are you ashamed of who and what you are; whatever, or whomever that may be?

The second and deeper question is, "What anti-Americanism?" Having lived in many parts of the UK and worked for many companies in the US, I have a huge numbers of friends in my country and (possibly?) yours. By "possibly" yours, I mean the USA. In my eyes and the eyes of tens of millions of others, the relationship is still as strong as ever between us Brits and our American friends - despite political interference... smile

2. silver lining 5 profile image60
    silver lining 5posted 12 years ago

For whatever it's worth, I have seen quite a few photos of this girl Amanda and I don't mean to be narrow here but if I were to produce a movie about "mean" girls, I would want her look, she has a stiff upper lip with a thinly veiled arrogance that would fool only the naive.  I am not saying she is guilty of murder but she certainly looks like a tough cookie.  The problem with cookies is that when it comes to facing the consequences they tend to crumble.  We have all done something we are ashamed of in our lives so we can't really place ourselves as judge and jury in front of the world.  IF she was an accessory (or more) in this crime, she will be in a prison for the rest of her life, a prison of her own private hell.  She didn't really get away with anything.  No hell can compare to the one we manufacture for ourselves through our own misdeeds.

3. Evan G Rogers profile image61
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

We go around killing people in the name of some undefinable ideal...

... and people HATE us?!

NOWAI!

4. BillWest165 profile image58

Your the Dude that lives in China the home of "Human Rights"  and your critical of the U.S.
    And enough with the name calling. It's cowardly to do on the internet when your not face to face.

1. IzzyM profile image86

YOU missed the point. Your Amanda Knox is a lying thieving little bitch who served her time for defaming an innocent man. What part of the story haven't you understood?
      She got off with murder on a technicality. But she was found guilty first.

2. recommend1 profile image61

So - I don't call you names, I happen to live in China - and you don't have one shred of anything to back your rabble rousing anti american nonsense - way to go Bubba !!

5. BillWest165 profile image58

Anger and emotion like yours is what got her charged in the first place. There is not evidence.

1. IzzyM profile image86

No, there is no evidence because she wasn't there. She said so, didn't she?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)