Does God or Gods trully exist?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (29 posts)
  1. montelka profile image74
    montelkaposted 12 years ago

The Idea of a all powerful deities or God, that watch over human beings and have/has total control over the entire universe is loosing ground really fast.

Why would a God so powerful to create the universe in all its complexity by word of mouth only, be interested in human morality?
    Why Is it his/her description closely resembles that of  an ordinary human I.e. merciful, happy when we do good, need to be worshipped, hates "evil", is vengeful,etc?

Are deity based religions dying out and being replaced by Scientific and Logical thinking?

1. manthy profile image59
      manthyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes God exists - why do you question that

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Only an irrational person wouldn't question it. lol

2. montelka profile image74
        montelkaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Because, the more I learn about the complexity behind living things and the universe, it does not make sense why his character is described in such a simplistic and human like manner!! or why he would create all forms of existence just to test our morality...

2. profile image0
      RookerySpoonerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, religion will never die out, because it offers people hope in the face of the difficulties of life and the horror of our mortality.  The fact that scientific discoveries, including the fact of evolution and the age of the universe have not decreased the importance of religion suggests that it never will.  People will always need hope, and whilst science is very interesting, it doesn't offer that hope.

1. montelka profile image74

hmnn...quite right!

2. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As one of many who survived cancer because of new medical science, I don't agree with you when you say science offers no hope. smile

In truth science will soon make longevity common and many illnesses will be beaten completely through what we have learned in the last 10 years.

Belief in myths however do nothing but retard the social sciences, retard medical research and send people on a wild goose chase through word soup looking for an escape from mortality through majic.

No sale here.

1. profile image0

But science can never offer people immortality, and this really is what people want, no matter how many times, they may claim that they don't want to live forever.  Humans seem to be the only animal which is aware of its mortality, and so it has created many religious or spiritual versions of reality in order to try and convince itself that it has eternity to look forward to, instead of  70 or 80 years.  Science may well find better ways of treating illness or of extending our lifespans, but it will never be able to beat nature and provide us with immortality.  It is for this reason, that whilst people will be happy to rely on the advances of science, if it means extending their lives for a few years, they nevertheless realise that it is only by a belief in the supernatural that they might hope to overcome their fear of death.  And the fact that people are so eager to defend their religious beliefs, and can become so angy when they are criticised is because such an attack is upon the hope and comfort that religion provides.

Really? And, how did you reach this conclusion?

1. profile image0

Cagsil, it should be obvious that having a belief in an afterlife offers people comfort.  Ask people who believe in one.

The above statement was a nice way of avoiding my question. Now try answering my question?
                I know, I used to be one. I have no need to ask a believer about an afterlife.

1. profile image0

Avoiding your question Cagsil.  Could you be more specific?  I too was once one of the religious, and know that the reason was as an attempt to overcome my fear of death.  This is the biggest attraction of religion.  If a religion offered no afterlife, then what would be the point of it?  If this was not your reason for being one of the religious, perhaps you could explain why you were once one of them.

Do you now want to tell me how I can be anymore specific in my question to you? Because, as it stands you're not making a lick of sense.

You made the statement that science can never offer immortality? I asked you how you reached that conclusion? I cannot get any more specific than what I said.

2. montelka profile image74

Please answer the question!I understand the necessity of believing in the afterlife or religion in general, as way to cope with our mortality, which is all great.
                I just do not understand the Logic behind the Gods described by many religions,do they really exist or did we construct them?

and by the way, science offers logical "immortality", I actually wrote a hub on this! You need to read more on nanotechnology, and human-machine interface, this is no science fiction any more.

1. profile image0

I believe the faith people are having that science can make them immortal is as illogiical as believing religion can.  Do you not understand that death is part of nature, and is not something which can be overcome.  Illnesses may become better treated and the average lifespan may be extended further, as it has been in the past century from 40 in 1900 to 80 today.  However, if you expect science to enable you to live forever, I'm afraid you will be disappointed.

2. profile image0
              jomineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think he has a point. The people who take dope, do it out of emotion, not reason.

I would disagree with your statement.

2. earnestshub profile image80
            earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is a reasonable point of view I guess. I believe their dillusions get in the way of living live in the now myself, and when it is taught as truth it makes me cringe at how naive and gullible the general religious populace are.

3. DoubleScorpion profile image77
            DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know if I completely agree with this statement.

Why does the Gazelle run when the lion gets close? Animals are quite aware of danger to life. Adult elephants surround the little ones to protect them from danger. This seems to me to be an awareness of mortality.

2. Jerami profile image58
          Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

earnestshub ...As one of many who survived cancer because of new medical science, I don't agree with you when you say science offers no hope.

In truth science will soon make longevity common and many illnesses will be beaten completely through what we have learned in the last 10 years.
          ====================

ME     This is true ....  science does address and "FIX" many of the worlds problems ...  yet each time one problem is solved, This  creates another

3. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
      Mikel G Robertsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes the old/ancient beliefs about the nature of a supreme being are being updated. The do as your told because "I" am smarter than you religious leadership is losing it's power over the minds of us peasants.

The primary dogma of the ancient/modern religions is simply "OBEY". The common people are stepping away from thier fear of "the Boogieman" and are seeing the controling clergy for what they are... Manipulaters.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/67947#top

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Aquarian Age is here. I would like to see a return to Greek mythology style spirituality.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

We have enough religious stuff going on in the religion subforums.  We don't need it here as well.

Correct Psyche. I've just reported this thread to staff, so they will move it to the religious thread.

4. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

Does God or Gods trully exist?

There is only ONE Creator God; there is no associates with Him; He has not wife, sons and no daughters.

5. profile image53
    Avenge Riderposted 12 years ago

belive in what you see

6. proactrdv profile image62
    proactrdvposted 12 years ago

As I have stted many times before. There is, I believe a force behind the creation of mankind that is beyond all human understanding. How we see it is based upon our ability to understand our existance. The why the bible was written was so that it could not be challenged without a rebuke from God and also that God would never have to proove himself in a clear way to be recieved and understood. Happiness depends on anumber of things non of which allows God direct access in ones life except faith whch makes absolutely no real since in the way that you asked to have it.

7. tsmog profile image85
    tsmogposted 12 years ago

Of course god's exist. The great NFL god is one of  my favorites. And the great NHRA god is a favorite too. Not partial to the money god I do pay homage. One personal god is the hummingbird god. I am always amazed at how those suckers crowd the feeder when I walk upon the porch. Yeah, the feeder is empty. Ohhh, wait a second I guess that means I am the hummingbird god - LOL. just kidding about, or

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)