How many Hubs to start making money and how long?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (16 posts)
  1. mathair profile image60
    mathairposted 12 years ago

I am a member of Hubpages for 6 months an I have 20 Hubs. (Due to illness I stopped writing for a little while) However i have made a total of 94cent on Google an absolutely nothing through Amazon. Should I give up now or keep trying?  Honestly?

1. sofs profile image77
      sofsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You make money with the traffic that you get to your hubs,..doesn't matter how many hubs..Do your keywords research and seo your hubs so you can get decent traffic.. backlink them to get a better ranking and your earnings will go up..
      Hubs earn with age.. so you will see an improvement in your earnings slowly  as you go about doing all the things mentioned above.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Keep trying!   There is a learning curve to making money on HubPages and there's a lot you can do to improve your existing Hubs as well as writing new ones.

I suspect you're wondering what Sofs means by things like "keyword research", "seo your Hubs", "backlink" etc - it's all jargon you'll need to know if you're really serious about making money online. 

However, I suspect you're not quite ready for that yet!   I suggest you read my Hub on How to Optimize your HubPages first, then my Hub on Flickr so you can liven up your Hubs with some photos.   Then I recommend you spend some time in the Learning Centre.  You'll be doing more reading than writing for a while, but patience is a virtue!

3. kschang profile image87
      kschangposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Let's just say it took me almost a year to cash my first $100 check from Google. smile

4. noenhulk profile image59
      noenhulkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The traffic and how useful your hubs can make the difference in earning money. Some hubs are not very useful but they are entertaining. So, it's also how your readers like your hubs.

5. Jlbowden profile image86
      Jlbowdenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hello Mathair:

Since your feeling better, get back to the keyboard and keep writing new articles. You will without a doubt see your earnings increase much faster, by accumulating additional articles. The reason being is for one, it will increase more traffic to these articles which, hopefully in turn will equate to more clicks and capital return. Also as most of the other hubbers on this post mentioned, it does take some time-even up to the year mark before you reach your first payout. Be patient and keep writing. In addition I also find that my earnings are growing more from the HP AD program than from google adsense.

Jlbowden

mathairposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. I've been working on some new pieces.  I was afraid to join the Hubpages ad programme as I was doing so badly on the other on but perhaps I will give it a shot - if you are not in you can't win!

6. rembrandz profile image79
      rembrandzposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the useful question..I am learning a lot from the answers

2. Hunbbel Meer profile image74
    Hunbbel Meerposted 12 years ago

Hubpages is not a get-rich-over-night program. It is just like an asset building for yourself and for your future. It is best for people who love to write even without much rewards. People keep writing and keep building an asset which will bear fruits later - just like a tree.

1. PaulaHenry1 profile image65
      PaulaHenry1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was fortunate enough to get my first payout w/in 4 months from Google and Amazon, however, things have changed and I assume it'll take alot longer now as I havent had nearly the traffic or purchases since the Google disaster! Keep writing great articles and searching keywords and your time will come----good luck!

Thank you for all your replies. I'd love to know what the google disaster is as i keep seeing it mentioned! I have tried to tag correctly and spent hours researching correct keywords for my titles! Also I live in Ireland and some of my Hubs are based on subjects that would attract an Irish audience but it seems that i can only use the USA Amazon on this site. Am I correct in assuming this?  It would make more sense to use the UK version.

3. Urt og Dyr profile image60
    Urt og Dyrposted 12 years ago

To answer your question in the title, I would say it takes at least 100 hubs to start earning some money. To have some idea of how much you can earn, consider that on average every 1000 impressions/views results in $2-$5 of earnings (if you don't have Hpads).

Thank you - this is a useful target to go by.

4. maggi81 profile image61
    maggi81posted 12 years ago

The amount of money you make isn't directly proportionate to the number of hubs you have. As someone already mentioned you need to do good keyword research and make your content more optimized.

However don't let that take you over as Google likes to see content written for Humans and not Search engines (its contradictory, I know). Once you publish a hub, look for ways to keep it fresh and social bookmark it.

Remember, if you can get your readers to reach your complete article, chances of an ad getting clicked is much higher. Good luck!

5. natalia23 profile image58
    natalia23posted 12 years ago

i have a question, i joined hub 2 days back n i have posted my first hub! i am really confused about "my earnings settings". i know its rakes a long time till you actually start making money, but i just want to make sure that i have gotten into the process. how can i ensure that my adprogram is active?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If it is showing views, whether there is income or not, it is active.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)