Google traffic drop to zero within past 48 hrs?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Howard S. profile image90
    Howard S.posted 12 years ago

Has anyone else experienced this? If not, how can I troubleshoot it?

Within the past 24-48 hrs, traffic from all Google sources (all countries) dropped to zero (0). I got one from Bing and some from HubPages. I had been getting at least 30/day from Google sources--not a lot, but enough for me to see that something suddenly went terribly wrong.

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

some of my hubs are o but my traffic has been wildly fluctuating the past week!

2. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I hope you have better luck regaining your G traffic than I have.  I dropped from making payout in the first days of the month to pennies a day after making payout each month for almost 2 years.  Of course, this killed my Amazon sales also with the traffic loss.  I still have no idea why this happened Aug. 10 and probably never will.  smile

3. Cogerson profile image79
      Cogersonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Of my 270 hits in the last 24 hours...107 have come from Google....hope that helps a little.

4. lobobrandon profile image89
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have just a few hubs, daily I used to get about 2 visits from google, the rest from hubs. But today i got a massive 10!! Thats great for the number of hubs I got. All the traffic is drawn by just one of my hubs

2. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 12 years ago

I read that G is making changes to their site with discontinuing some of their products hmm this may be the reason for the fluctuations. It may only be temporary smile

3. psycheskinner profile image85
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Search the forum for "plungers" for piles of discussion about this.

4. Howard S. profile image90

Thanks @Dame for a possible explanation, and @Psyche for the keyword reminder.

Of course, I've been reading about plungers in recent weeks and months, but my unfiltered search of the past 24 hrs wasn't turning up any concerns--not like everyone with "Hey it's noon on the 20th--where's my payout?"

1. tamron profile image67
      tamronposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I checked a couple of your hubs and I think they are great.  My traffic and earnings dropped about a week ago to almost nothing even my consistant earners and today I looked I had at least 20 red arrows.  I checked my Google account I acculaully earned today and I had a little more traffic today than normal on all my hubs.  So who knows hang in there keep writing don't waist your time trying to figure out Google.  Just do your best!  It will pay off!

5. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

Hubpages is saying my traffic is up but Adsense has been a bit slow catching up today..plus one of my hubs has moved from 2nd to 1st in Google so traffic should go up in the next 12 hours surely..it usually gets 700-1200 views that hub

6. Cagsil profile image72
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Sorry to hear. But, I'm not experiencing such a problem.

7. Jason Menayan profile image60
    Jason Menayanposted 12 years ago

Robin created a Learning Center entry that might be helpful when this happens:
    http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Subd … of-Traffic

Hope your traffic comes back soon!

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A good read. Thank you, Robin and Jason. smile

8. arizonataylor profile image79
    arizonataylorposted 12 years ago

Yep.  My best hub, prior to last Friday, earned over 100 views from Google per day.  Today, it had 3.  My numbers are DOWN.

9. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

I know how you feel..it can be very depressing..I was there and lately Mr.g is smiling on me...don't know how long..roll

10. Angelique Newman profile image61
    Angelique Newmanposted 12 years ago

I hope things picked up; fingers crossed :-)

11. Writen4u profile image88
    Writen4uposted 12 years ago

In the last week one of my hubs that averages around 150 views a day is now only getting 30 a day. When I search it in google with exact keywords my other hubs come up but never the actual hub. Before it was always first page about third link down.
    I also wonder why this is going on.

12. toygurus profile image56
    toygurusposted 12 years ago

Thank you. I am noticing a trend. Every time someone reports that they are dipping another hubber reports they are surging. I have two accounts and  one account is the exact opposite of the other.

In other words, when one rises, the other is sand boxed and vice versa. Is there any explanation for this?

1. Randy Godwin profile image60

"For every action, there is an equal and........."

1. sofs profile image76
        sofsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol  I hope your account is seeing better days.

Nope Sofs, it's like the first several months I began here.  Traffic wise, that is.  My earnings have disappeared almost overnight after a long and steady rise since I first started writing here on HP.  Que sera.  smile

1. sofs profile image76

Sorry about that, you deserve better. I truly hope things change for the better,  and fast. That feeling in the pit of your stomach when you see the stas is horrid.. I was sand boxed for six months.. I just got out of it a couple of months ago... Who can understand the ways of big G ??.

1. CMHypno profile image83
              CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to hear that you had a bad time for six months sofs, but for us current plungers it is great hear that you were eventually liberated from the sand box - gives us hope!

1. sofs profile image76

I am glad that this bring some hope.. smile What confuses me is that Google keeps trying one new thing or the other every week and we don't know what to do or where we stand,

1. CMHypno profile image83
                  CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think that we all wish that Google would give it a rest for a while - let things calm down and allow people to pick themselves up and dust themselves down a bit. I've never been fond of roller coasters!

1. sofs profile image76

LOL .. I guess you just whispered the prayers in the hearts of many... I don't like roller coasters either lol

2. Randy Godwin profile image60

I understand the big "G" perfectly well.  They are cold, unfeeling, money grubbing bas*ards.  As simple as that.  smile

1. sofs profile image76

You hit the nail on the head.. I honestly hope things do turn out doubly well for you. Maybe you don't believe in prayer..but I will still pray for you smile Cheers!!

Not really concerned about this place anymore, Sofs.  I'd rather write somewhere with a staff I can have faith in.  If there is such a place.  Thanks for your good thoughts, though! smile

1. sofs profile image76

Oh that is sad...I hope you will change your mind Randy.

13. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 12 years ago

Some of recent fluctuations may be due to the big G change that's been causing a firestorm in the Search Engine Optimization blogosphere the last few days:

-- Search referral traffic and search queries are no longer being reported for any user logged into Google at the time they do their searches. If they've logged into YouTube, Gmail, Google Docs, Google Plus, or other Google services and haven't logged out, you don't get to see that data.

Google claims it's for privacy purposes, but they are still giving all that data to their advertising partners, just not Google Analytics or tools that use it (like Hubpages' keyword tool).

1. GmaGoldie profile image81
      GmaGoldieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Greekgeek,

Did I understand this correctly - does this mean that YouTube traffic is no longer in the SEO algorithm?

14. Howard S. profile image90

I have followed-up all relevant suggestions here (except Greekgeek's, which is over my head). I don't see any infractions. I do have several hubs in the 60's, but most everyone does--they're not my best work, but certainly not shoddy. I am reluctant to start unpublishing hubs or making arbitrary changes without good reason. But I don't want to apply for a reconsideration without being quite confident.

There is one thing that I have been systematically changing lately whenever I'm editing a hub to tweak something. I wonder if Google sees this as a doorway page:

I have been optimizing photos for image search. Whenever I hit one of my own photos, I list my username as the "name of source" and my profile page as the "source url." If a hub has 10-15 photos by me, there will be that many links to my profile page. Someone questioned that practice and I reasoned that Google is smart enough to realize that each one is tied to a separate photo.

Do you think that could be my problem? If so, can anyone suggest a better way to keep metadata with its respective photo? If anyone chooses to look at one of my hubs, do you see any other potential problems?

I've had 4 pageviews from Google since starting this thread, and only one of those from the USA!

15. Howard S. profile image90

big_smile Google traffic has recovered! big_smile
    Two days ago my HP website suddenly regained Google traffic. For the previous 5 weeks (Oct.19 - Nov.22), it had averaged less than two organic pageviews per day for all hubs total. During that time I did nothing to fix it (if it ain't broke, don't...). My traffic had previously floated up and down with the rest of the panda census. But I never found anyone else whose traffic had become extinct on Oct. 19.
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5810848.jpg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)