50% of Americans think GOP sabotaging the economy

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

A new poll finds that half of all Americans think the Republicans are purposefully sabotaging the economy to keep Obama from getting a second term.

Which means a full 50% of Americans do not believe this.
    Be afraid. Be very afraid.
    Be especially if you find yourself facing a jury anytime soon.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/11/0 … ng-economy

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure the other 50% think that the Ds are doing the same

Democrats: "Hey, let's make it illegal to NOT have health care!"

Everyone else: "Um.. supply and demand?"

1. profile image0
        Texasbetaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Um...we legally have to treat people now to simply go to the emergency room, which is funded by your taxes, results in the most expensive and worst health care possible, leading to further health care costs due to no preventative care, etc. Really dude? Aren't you an economics guy?

Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Affordable Care Act just leaped another legal hurdle, I heard today.
          A conservative judge at the level below SCOTUS (I will find link)upheld it!
          Guess what, Obamacare is NOT illegal!!

Once again, I don't know how anyone could argue against health insurance for ALL Americans.
          Those who complain about refusing to be "forced" to buy it already have it. AND, as you point out, they are also paying for those who don't.
          I just don't get it.
          But then, I have been shocked, completely shocked, at the negative responses to this post.
          So maybe it's me. roll

1. profile image0
            Texasbetaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It isn't you. We are living in times where self delusion is considered an achievement. We are disgracing ourselves. That's not true. I am not playing pc on this anymore. WE aren't disgracing ourselves. Conservatives in the United States disgrace mankind, not just their country.

Even taking the gloves off doesn't faze them, Texas.

11 whole minutes and no outrage?
              No "I know Dems are, but what am I?" caustic rebuttal?
              What, are all the usual HP suspects too busy licking their (fatal?) wounds from tonight's debate?
              roll
              Then again, this forum has engendered nothing but surprises.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Just more distortion and misinformation.

It's impossible for them to make this claim. Sure, it's 50% of those polled, but certainly NOT ALL Americans.

You're right, Cags.
      This is only based on those polled.
      Which means they didn't even talk to the real "average Joe."
      Which leads me to believe the actual number who don't see the obvious is even higher.
      roll

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Mighty Mom,

Let's talk- 15% homeless and 9% unemployment? I'll bet most of these people were never asked even one question. lol

Exactly.
          This poll doesn't even capture those people.
          Who are victims of the economy.
          I wonder who they see as the cause of their ills.
          Hint: It's not like Mr. Cain says, "Blame yourself."

It drives me up a wall whenever I hear junk about polls or surveys, because most polls and surveys are not honestly asking legitimate questions. Most are tainted in some aspect to twist.

1. wilderness profile image95
              wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Polls are only useful to convince a gullible reader of a particular point of view.  If honest, legitimate questions and sample populations are used a poll could very easily end up saying the opposite of what is desired and lose that usefulness.  Worse, when one tries to hide such a poll there may be a whistle blower around that will take the whole thing public, causing actual harm by telling the reader actual truth.

Thus skewed questions and specific samples must be very carefully chosen.

I know Wilderness the whole process is deceptive. lol And, only the gullible believe it as truth. tongue

You know it.  I know it.  Most people don't and don't care, either.  If it matches what they want, it is legit.  If not it is ignored or attacked as obvious fraud.

We have become a nation of liars and spinsters.  The truth is not in us.

Not that I'm disillusioned or anything.  Or even sarcastic.  tongue

3. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

Add it together with the 50% that think the dems are sabotaging the economy and you have the real truth of the matter.  All politicians are.

I have not heard or read of any poll that accuses Democrats of deliberately sabotaging the economy.
      Dems don't control the Congress or have spokes bozos like Mitch McConnell or John Boner or Tea Party freshman in their ranks or Rush Limbaugh as their sh%t-kicker in chief.
      Nor do they, as a party, control the means of production (e.g., jobs).

I guess I am the only one (besides my hubby who sent me the link) who thinks this is *duh* news. sad

You haven't heard of the republican poll (accusing the democrats) yet because they haven't managed to steal enough tax money yet to pay for it.  That is the prerogative of the dems.

Repubs don't control the white house or have spokes bozos like (insert your choice here - there are plenty of options).

Nor do the repubs control the income of the masses.  Over half the people now live off of govt collected monies - again it is the prerogative of the dems to demand ever more from the people.  Given that the typical govt paycheck is far greater than the equivalent one in the private sector the actual percentage of income controlled by the dems rises even further.

MM, it isn't one party or the other.  It is the entire rotten system of thieves and scoundrels that is driving this country to ruin.  On the rare occasion that we find an honest politician to send to Washington s/he doesn't stay honest.  That entire city is a cancer that infects everything it touches and needs excised from the country.

This poll was conducted by Suffolk University. 10/26-30. Registered voters. MoE ±3.8% (no trendlines):
          The question is pretty simple:

Q: Do you think the Republicans are intentionally stalling efforts to jumpstart the economy to insure that Barack Obama is not reelected?

Yes: 49
              No: 39
              Undecided: 12

The same question is going to be put into a larger, broader national poll.

Weren't "JOBS" a big campaign cry of Republicans back in the day?
          Funny, we don't hear that four-letter word coming out of their mouths these days.
          Even though Americans sure could use some.
          On a personal level, most people's hierarchy of needs starts with a job to support themselves and their families.
          People want to be self-sufficient and pay their own way in life.
          That is the American Dream, although it has become a national nightmare.
          Debt ceilings and spending cuts are a distraction just like gays in the military and illegal immigrants getting free _____ whatever.

The emperor has no clothes, people.

If repubs really wanted to provide jobs they would get rid of 20 million illegal aliens.  And if dems wanted to help control the deficit they would get rid of 20 million illegal aliens and quit funneling tax $$ to them.

I repeat; it isn't just one party - it is everyone on capital hill.

As far as a legit poll, what was the percentage of democrats being polled?  They may be all registered voters, but did it just happen that 49% were democrats?  Who paid for it is certainly a legitimate question - the liberal college?  The liberal students there?  Was it only circulated through the college students?  There are a lot ways to skew a poll while making it sound so very respectable.

wilderness, why are you so concerned about who conducted the poll? It is a legitimate polling center and it polled residents of Florida, not students.roll
              I don't think most hubbers are that interested in polling methodology, but to satisfy your curiosity, here is an excerpt from a recent poll by the same university:

Methodology
              The statewide survey of 800 Florida registered voters was conducted October 26-30, 2011, through live telephone interviews. The margin of error is +/- 3.5 percent at a 95 percent level of confidence. Embargoed marginals and cross-tabulation data will be posted Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2011, on the Suffolk University Political Research Center Web site. For more information, contact David Paleologos at 781-290-9310, dpaleologos@suffolk.edu.

And here's another tidbit about this particular polling center. Pretty good street cred: 
              In January 2008 Suffolk University forecast that John McCain would win Florida’s Republican presidential primary by 3 points; McCain won by 5 points. In late October 2008, Suffolk University polling predicted a 5-point Barack Obama general election win. He won by 3 points on Election Day.

Now I am done beating this dead horse.
              Anyone who doubts that the Republicans IN CONGRESS are stalling the economy on purpose can go back under their rock and wait for the meteor to hit and the world to end. 16 hours and counting.

Here's the point.  If you read the conversation with Cagsil you know (and should already know) that statistics and polls can be and are twisted to indicate anything desired.

Your typical posts on this forum are always of the nature that all Republicans are evil and out to destroy the country.  All Democrats are wonderful and will save us all if only they can work by those evil Republicans.  The OP is more of the same; everyone now thinks republicans are evil and will destroy us.

Will you may be a sheep, finding and reporting only those things that support your political agenda, it behooves the rest of the population to take a very hard look at anything in the political arena.  99% of what we see and hear there is either slanted unbelievably or downright lie - it is how politics works. 

When is the last time you took a Republican report of how they will save the country at face value?  Same thing here - the honesty and integrity of the pollsters needs questioned.  It always does, regardless of who it is or what the results are.

1. recommend1 profile image60
                  recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Republican ?  even Conservative British politicians speak out against the poisonous interference in America and around the world of what it calls their 'toxic politics'.

2. profile image59
        logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Dems do control the Senate and they have been sent several 'jobs' bills by the House and have not considered any of them.  Shouldn't they then be considered obstructionists as well?  Shouldn't they be thought as trying to sabotage the economy as well?
        Do you think the Republicans control, as a party, the means of production?
        The Dems control the White House and the Senate, why is it that they are perceived as so powerless against the mean ol nasty, cruel, wicked, Republicans? Help Cecil Help!
        Now the gutless wonders have abandoned the surtax on millionaires, cause they don't have the backbone to stand up the 'horrible, wretched, vicious' Tea partiers. Let's all wring our hands and bemoan our terrible fate.

4. GoGreenTips profile image59
    GoGreenTipsposted 12 years ago

It doesn't seem possible, but when you follow all the other devious, low-down, under-handed crap they pull, it becomes very possible. If not probable.

5. Mighty Mom profile image77

Yet another incredibly biased, anti-Republican poll. Where do you think this one was conducted????

U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio could provide the juice needed for a Republican presidential candidate to win Florida, according to a new poll.

Rubio has repeatedly said he is not interested in the vice presidency in 2012.

The poll of 800 registered voters in Florida, conducted from Oct. 26-30, found that with Rubio on the ticket the Republican presidential nominee would secure 46 percent to Obama’s 41 percent in Florida. Voters seemed to be unfazed by Rubio’s bad press over his muddled story of his family’s arrival to the United States from Cuba, which emerged just before the poll was conducted last week.

But the poll shows that without Rubio in the mix, Obama tied Mitt Romney at 42 percent and led all other contenders: Herman Cain — 42 percent to 39 percent, Rick Perry — 46 percent to 39 percent, Ron Paul — 44 percent to 32 percent and Newt Gingrich 45 percent to 38 percent.

"Marco Rubio secures Florida which, along with Ohio, is one of the two most important swing states to win,’’ Paleologos said.

Because Rubio, a former House speaker and state legislator from Miami, polled well among Hispanic voters and younger voters, Paleologos said he believes that Rubio could also lend the Republican candidate strength in the westerners states of New Mexico, Texas, California, Arizona and Nevada, all with sizable Hispanic voters.

To read the complete article, visit www.miamiherald.com.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/11/02/2 … z1d8Fl005J

6. Mighty Mom profile image77

Obviously you have not read many of my posts or you would know that
    I am not a black & white, all or nothing thinker. I've even voted Republican for governor! *gasp.*
    But right now Congress is full of "evil" Republicans with a misguided sense of what is important and unwilling to bend.
    They have abused the filibuster and their tactics since 2010 have been both shocking and juvenile.

I believe there are many level-headed and effective Republicans in Congress as well. They just don't get any press. roll
    Probably because they're trying to stay below the radar and are embarrassed by the sandbox conduct of their peers.
    The only Dems getting int he news these days have ethics problems. And they deserve to be called on their behavior, too.

7. MikeNV profile image67
    MikeNVposted 12 years ago

If you take any group of people and divide them in half you will have 50%.

In this case you have the lower 50% who are IGNORANT of the real problem which is Fractional Reserve Banking.

Both sides are bought and sold.

Congressmen/Women do not Write their own bills nor do they read what they write.  They are owned by the Banking Elite through lobbyists.

The whole system is a pathetic joke ripe will corruption.

Idiots Blame either party... they are both the same with a different message to read on the teleprompter to continue to divide and confuse the Ignorant masses while they go about their business of spending YOUR future.

Thank you, Mike, NV, for explaining the problem.
      So are you saying that the 50% of pollees who don't believe the Republicans are sabotaging the economy understand that the real problem is fractional reserve banking?

lol lol

8. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

Polls are often biased.  I agree, however at least look at why they are biased before making statements about how incorrect they are.

It's no seret that republicans have spent a lot of time blocking democrats attempts to do things, even to the point where republican politicians have completely changed their stance on important topics.

I don't know if the deomcrats did the same thing when the republicans were in power or not, but what I do know is that politicians should be trying to benefit the country, not just backstab each other.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)