Penn State Scandal

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Alecia Murphy profile image70
    Alecia Murphyposted 12 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5738679_f248.jpg
    What do you think about the Penn State allegations? Is this further proof that college sports has become more of a business than an activity to promote leadership and unity? And whose heads should roll the most (Paterno, Sandusky, anyone else)?

1. Stacie L profile image89
      Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

after joe paterno reported it to administration and nothing was done, he should have called the police...

Alecia Murphyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree. He should have thought about that rather than the rep of Penn State.

2. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

sick thats all I can say!!!!!!!!!1

3. thelyricwriter profile image82
    thelyricwriterposted 12 years ago

This was just a rare case of sick things going on. McClearly, I believe the assistant coach, was the one that saw it going on. He should of manned up and went over there and took care of this. Whether he told or not, he should of been the one sent to trial. Yet, somehow, he is still a coach there and they fire Joe. It makes me wonder what Joe was told and who he did. Even so, the heart goes out to those kids. A sick, sick setting.

4. profile image0
    icountthetimesposted 12 years ago

I'm always amazed at how it takes years for things like this to come out. I agree with the OP that things are hushed up for business reasons but maybe it goes beyond that. Wherever and whenever this type of abuse occurs it often takes years for it to become known. People need to speak up, because so much misery can come about through people staying silent.

5. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

it is called social responsibility and accountability. Surely a lesson to be learned for everybody, if you see wrongdoings will you report them and make some effort to reach the proper authority.

6. DJProfessorK profile image59
    DJProfessorKposted 12 years ago

Sandusky and McQueary should be the ones held most accountable, since one committed the crimes while the other watched it happen.

It's been a business for a long time now...makes great money for the school but I don't think that this case proves that particular ill. Something like the Cam Newton 'pay-for-play' allegations fits better into that scheme.

7. Alecia Murphy profile image70

Yeah, I don't see this helping everything going wrong in college sports but I sure hope this is a start.

8. Manny2437 profile image67
    Manny2437posted 12 years ago

The amount of controversy surrounding colege sports has gotten ridiculous. USC isn't bowl eligible for a few years, I'm pretty sure Ohio State isn't either. Than you had the Miami thing, but this takes the cake. Have to say I feel for Paterno the Dude Bled Nittany Lions. I know he could have done more, but why does he get fired when the higher authorities are the ones who failed to report to the poliice. Paterno witnessed nothing, he just spoke on allegations he heard. He shouldn't be inclined to go to the police himself simply on allegations. I think the dude did his job, the school is the one slipping. Maybe poor judgement, but I think being fired was a bit overboard. If the dude deserved it, he wouldn't have so many students, alumni, and just people in general backing him.

9. Alecia Murphy profile image70

I don't think so. I think the students, alumni, and fans are in denial. He should have told the police and not just the AD. There's no excuse for not protecting a child.

10. Manny2437 profile image67

It's easy for us all to sit back and criticize and say we would do this or that, but the truth is none of us know the full story yet we all want to act like experts on it, as always. I'm gunna cut the guy some slack because I know what it's like to be an imperfect human being. I still like Paterno, he is a decent dude I think that had a choice to make and simply made the wrong one. But he shouldn't be so scrutinized I feel. But trust me when I say I understand both yours and the universities stand on the matter. Good hub btw voted up.

1. profile image0
      icountthetimesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You make a valid point. We probably shouldn't rush to judgement. We need to remember that Paterno didn't abuse anyone, and to an extent did the right thing (at least he did report this - he took action). Once reported the decisions to be made were in the hands of the administration. It was their responsibility to take action and they failed. More blame should be levelled at them.

11. Manny2437 profile image67

Thanks. There are valid arguments on both sides, it's just a bad situation for everyone involved, great discussion topic for everyone not.

12. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 12 years ago

Aside from the scandal at Penn State, in my opinion, college football is out of control. The big time programs are nothing more than a farm system for the NFL. The coaches and athletic directors make more and have more power than the university presidents. Academic standards are non-existent at many of the schools.

13. pstraubie48 profile image81
    pstraubie48posted 12 years ago

It is really scary to me that something of this magnitude could be swept under the rug and kept there for so long. These were children, children whose innoence was stolen. No matter what happens now that can never be restored.
    Every one who knew about this in any way should be held accountable.

Alecia Murphyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you pstraubie48,  whoever knew about this needs to be punished. Kids can't regain their innocence.

14. MichaelF27 profile image58
    MichaelF27posted 12 years ago

This is most likely not an isolated incodent. Many people are outraged how something so horrible could have gone on for so long, but abuse has been going on forever, and has long been shamed on when reported by kids.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)