Drug Use and Persons With a High IQ

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

No, I don't write for CNN.  But I'm sure we all realize here how the American Corporations and mainstream media make it blatantly obvious that mediocrity in America is their goal.

So, figure in an never ending war against.....inanimate substances - and THIS:

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/11/1 … torysearch

And you get ...idiotland. 

Thoughts?

1. Quilligrapher profile image73
      Quilligrapherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Wes,
      I’m not sure I understand the point you are trying to make.

Do you think corporations and mainstream media are part of a conspiracy to dumb-down society by opposing or by promoting drug use?

One theory proposed by evolutionary psychologist Satoshi Kanazawa, suggests intelligence evolved to help humans respond to things in their environment about which they were, as a species, unaccustomed. Thus, he claims, smart people are more likely to deal with and try new things including drugs.

Since psychoactive drugs are, in evolutionary terms, new to humans, smart people, according to the theory, will be more likely to take psychoactive drugs even if the drugs are bad for them. "[The Hypothesis] does not predict that individuals that are more intelligent are more likely to engage in healthy and beneficial behavior, only that they are more likely to engage in evolutionarily novel behavior." (1)

I have observed the destructive aspects of drugs on people and society and I, seeing no benefits, choose to avoid those ramifications. I guess that reveals I am not as intelligent as many users who think drugs are cool.

Thanks for the link, Wes, and for asking for our thoughts.

(1) http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertai … ion/18539/

Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hello Sir,

I posted that first thing in the morning before gulping down the proper amount of coffee for it to have made much sense.

I re read my post - It doesn't even make sense to me now.  In any case, I wanted to share the link because I thought it was interesting.

I think corporations are what keeps prohibition in action - especially corporations like GEO Corp, and their business of warehousing humans and making them perform slave labor.

Also, fear mongering is always to the benefit of governments that seek only to grow in size.

1. Quilligrapher profile image73
          Quilligrapherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi again, Wes.

I appreciate your prompt reply. I gather you think corporations are opposed to drug use in order to satisfy their need for “slave” labor. You have an interesting point of view.

Thanks for sharing,

This exceedingly evil entity - for sure.

http://www.geogroup.com/

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

Coming from a completely different angle here, my experience with substance users is as a former probation officer. In my experience, and I'm not suggesting this is a scientific explanation in any way, highly dependent users were of low to average intelligence. However, a staggering amount (I'll try to dig out some evidence re this)had been identified as having a learning difference, typically dyslexia, ADD or ADHD. I'm not suggesting the learning difference had led to drug use, but generally speaking, low self esteem, poor coping and problem solving skills and inability to develop and maintain lasting, positive relationships was a common theme. Is it possible that those with a high IQ have similar relationships/esteem/emotional issues? Personally, I wouldn't know, I'm an average 100 type of gal smile

1. emrldphx profile image61
      emrldphxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My brother is one of the ultra-intelligent... he has broken the rating scales on several tests he has taken. He is unbelievably brilliant, but it has its drawbacks.

If you've ever seen the movie Phenomenon, it's kind of like that. He can't ever turn off the influx of thinking and ideas. It's overwhelming.

But, he's never used drugs.

For an example of how intelligent he is, he downloaded a trial of C++(30 day) when Civilization III came out. Within a week he had re-written the scoring algorithm of the game(without having access to the source code) and it was implemented as the standard scoring algorithm. He was offered a job with the Civ team and highly regarded as the most brilliant player the game ever saw.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
        Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but a common theme among substance users is also emotional pain and an inability to deal with it. Great news re your brother, but maybe he has not experienced the isolation/loneliness that others with a high IQ/low IQ/Average IQ have had to deal with. Some people may have very IQs, however, emotionally they may not be intelligent.

With my brother, it's a long complicated story. Suffice it to say he had severe emotional problems. One day, he said he discovered a switch inside himself, and he turned them off. Since then, I've never seen emotion in him, it's more like talking to a computer.

That's not very healthy either.

It's the best thing for him, and in a way, it's the best emotion for him too.

It's not an emotion though, is it?

Nope, but the lack of emotion, as I said, is in a way the best emotion for him.

Perhaps he should be the judge of that? A lack of emotion is not an emotion, it's a state.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60

He should be the one to decide that. A lack of emotion is not an emotion, it's a state of being.

2. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hollie I pretty much think what you've just said is most likely at the root of it.  Lots of kids with particularly high IQ's are overlooked.  If/when they're not overlooked they're often misunderstood.

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80

You could probably count me in with the "have problems forming lasting and meaningful relationships" crowd.

Smart or not - I'd say not on my end.

3. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

My reaction to the article just turned itself into a Hub because it got it way too long (which doesn't always stop me from posting a long reply, but this subject is one that I thought deserves its own Hub  smile ).

4. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

Lisa, you should. This is an interesting topic. smile

1. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hollie, I agree that it's interesting.  The Hub should be up and running in about ten minutes.   smile  (probably no pictures on it, though   smile ).

Will be one the first to read it. smile

5. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

I thought marijuana made people smarter, and that was why it is illegal.

I thought it was because it was highly profitable for certain "elements". But your explanation kind of makes sense, too. Perhaps it's two fold.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)