If you had an awkward name growing up, how did it affect you?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (13 posts)
  1. NiaG profile image85
    NiaGposted 12 years ago

There are plenty of names, whether they be first names or first and last names together, in life where you just have to stop and think, "Why did their parents name them that?" And you just hope the child didn't suffer for it.

1. Disturbia profile image61
      Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol lol There wasn't anything about me that WASN'T awkward growing up, least of all my name.  My parents named me what they did because of their ethnic background and if I had grown up in my mother's native Hungary, my name would have been quite common.  But growing up in NYC in the 60s, there was nobody else in my school with a name like mine.  Of course, I was teased without mercy and all I ever wanted to do was blend in, but not any more.   Now I embrace my name and I love it because it seperates me from the rest of the herd.  I no longer want to blend in, I am very happy being different, unique, and individual.  My daughters have unusual names too, but that wasn't my choice ironically, their fathers are to blame... LOL.

2. nightwork4 profile image60
      nightwork4posted 12 years agoin reply to this

my last name is a bit stange but it made me into a better fighter. kids are cruel, so they at first tried to make fun of me when i started school. after giving out a bunch of serious beating, my last name didn't seem to be so funny, go figure.

2. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

It wasn't an odd choice by my parents, but being born in the UK and having a Polish name was a pretty awful experience. I was endlessly teased about it, no one knew how to spell it, it would get mispronounced all the time (which led to more people laughing at me). Also, my first name, middle name and surname came to 26 characters in total, which made form-filling a nightmare.

I then had two married names, which I was delighted to shuck off when the time came! 

Finally, I changed my name legally by deed poll. I kept a shortened form (first 4 characters) of my first name, the spelling of which keeps a tiny exotic flavour that helps distinguish me from others with the same sounding name spelled conventionally. I threw out the middle name, and I replaced the surname with one of the most common surnames in Wales.

Now I'm happy, because I only need to spell out the first four characters of my name. Life has become far simpler smile

3. NiaG profile image85
    NiaGposted 12 years ago

That's very interesting WriteAngled. You went through all that. Thanks for sharing that. :-)

Disturbia, I figured that when you are an adult things probably get smoothed out a little better but kids can be so cruel. I'm glad you survived into adulthood. :-)

4. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

My name is Isabel.

When I was at school, the kids shortened it to Bella. Just some of them mind! Then when I was about 13, my Mom bought me the most fabulous ever silvery green platform boots.

God I loved those boots. Mini skirts were IN. I had the mini the body and the boots.

Then I got called Bella Boots.

Didn't like that. To be called a 'boot' at that time in Scotland was akin to being called a prostitute!

When I grew up and moved away, folk started calling me Izzy, which as a child I would have 'died' at, but it is better than Bella Boots.

So I kept it smile

PS In Spain, I prefer the Spanish called me "Eezabel" because in Spanish Izzy sounds like Easy which takes me right back!

5. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

Well, it was embarrassing to me in school....and only on the first day of class was "Wesman" called for.  I was always a Todd after the first day.

I'm the only Wesman Todd Shaw in the world though, literally, nobody else has that name - so now I'm rather proud of it.

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think your name is brilliant!! You couldn't make it up!

One day, I will be proud to have a collection of books by Wesman Todd Shaw in my library. Of course that is the library I am going to have!

At this rate, it'll be the library of the geriatric or maybe psychiatric home I end up in.

But hey I'll tell everyone I was a hubber on Hubpages with Wesman Todd Shaw, and they'll all be jealous!

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm FLATTERED! now, Izzy!!!!

I better get to writin' them books!

6. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

My first name is horrible. Luckily, as a child, I was in smaller school environments where I was never saddled with it. I took some ribbing from the other kids from time to time, but not too bad. I was quick enough to find a way to rib back a little harder, so it never lasted long.

7. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

My real name is very strange. It's a Czech name that has a syllable that sounds like "milk" so I got harrassed a lot during my high school years. You can just imagine!

8. cathylynn99 profile image77
    cathylynn99posted 12 years ago

my name was too popular. in my HS english class there were five cathy's. we never knew who the teacher was calling on.

9. leahlefler profile image94
    leahleflerposted 12 years ago

My parents named me after a relative, and figured the name was fairly insult-proof. Kids are very creative, though, and in second grade I was dubbed Leah-Peah-Diarrhea. I hated that one. Later on they just called me "Leah Pet" (rhymes with Chia Pet) because my hair turned curly and was a bit out of control.

I can thank my parents for refraining from naming me EXACTLY after the relative, though. Her first name was actually Wilhelmina, and I can only imagine the torment I would have received!

I love my first name now, but no one really calls me "Leah Diarrhea" anymore!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)