Why do people live near active volcanos?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (39 posts)
  1. MissJamieD profile image56
    MissJamieDposted 12 years ago

If I was in the market for a home for myself and/or my family, the last place I'd want that home to be located would be the side of a volcano that's actually erupted in the past....what's with people who put homes on volcanos and earthquake fault lines? Or on the coast where tsunamis and hurricanes or simply floods could wipe you out? Help me understand....

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Half the NW US lives within the range of the supervolcano called Yellowstone Park.  When it goes, so will the NW, and it won't be the first time.  So be it.

2. sarovai profile image73
      sarovaiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Many the soil is good for health?!

3. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Because most of the earth is on a fault or near a volcano including entire countries, and most of them only go off every 500,000 years or so.  The rest of the earth is in a tornado zone, desert, frozen, avalanche area, has danger animals or smells bad.  Life is risk.

4. 2besure profile image79
      2besureposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It may be a false sense of security.  If there has not been an eruption or earthquake for decades, they feel they may be safe. It think it is insanity!

1. Nouveau Skeptic profile image63
        Nouveau Skepticposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think living in New Zealand or Japan or any other active zone is well worth the risk.

2. MissJamieD profile image56
    MissJamieDposted 12 years ago

Good to know

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

"Why do people live near active volcanos?"

Boredom?

4. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

I think there are very few places one can live that aren't subject to some kind of natural disaster.  Even if one doesn't live near an active volcano, fault line, or coast line.  If one lives lives near a river, there can be flooding, on the plains one can get hit by a tornado, the northeast has blizzards.  Although the earth may appear stable and static, the ground below is not nearly as solid at we would like to belive it is, and the winds of change are always blowing.

5. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 12 years ago

I live on a hill so the only thing I have to worry about is tornadoes.  Since I have a basement and can see for miles in nearly all directions, I'm good!
    As Alfred E. Neuman would say, "What, me worry!"

1. TLMinut profile image60
      TLMinutposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know about that, my friend told me my old town in the mountains of Utah FLOODED. They had to sandbag and everything, last thing I would have ever thought to worry about living up on a mountain.

6. hush4444 profile image59
    hush4444posted 12 years ago

I live on a dormant volcano (Mount Hualalai in Hawaii) about 90 miles from an active one (Mount Kilauea).  Since Volcanoes National Park is also on this island, we have access to some of the most sophisticated seismic equipment available that will tell us if an eruption is imminent.  Volcanologists come from all over the world to study our volcanoes, so we have a lot of experts to warn us, and the chance of a huge eruption (like Mount St. Helens) is very slim.  Every mountain in Hawaii is a volcano, either dormant, extinct, or active.
         We have a view of the ocean and can watch the cruise ships arrive and depart.  We're also high up the mountain, far away from any tsunamis.  I'd much rather have a slow moving volcanic eruption than a tornado or hurricane!

1. brittanytodd profile image89
      brittanytoddposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1

7. calpol25 profile image60
    calpol25posted 12 years ago

Why do people live near volcanoes?

Maybe its some kind of new fetish with death? smile

8. chuckbl profile image69
    chuckblposted 12 years ago

In Britain we more or less have nothing dangerous which is great so I can't tell you about thrill seeking or anything.

All I know is that the land around volcanoes is very fertile and excellent farming land which is why it attracts people.

9. calpol25 profile image60

Mind you I live 100 miles south of Edinburgh the capital of Scotland which is built on the top of an extinct Vocanoe. I live in Carlisle on the scottish border for those who are interested smile

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

100 miles south of Edinburgh!! Tsk Tsk... 50 miles west of Edinburgh and you might have been born a Buckie fan.

Gawd I used to stock that sickly sweet alcoholic monster in my bar just to entice Scots in! It worked by the way.

Hmmmm...

Made by monks, people of God? Oh right.

Getting back to the topic, I think people live in fault zones because they were born there.

Others move there because they are exceptionally stupid, I suppose.

1. calpol25 profile image60
        calpol25posted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol good one Izzy wish I had been born in Scotland sometimes, Carlisle cant agree on whether its scottish or english. We both know its scottish all the way smile   xxx

1. IzzyM profile image86
          IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

((((hugs))) all the way!

I don't care if you are Scottish or English, you have great attitude!

Thank you Izzy I love you too xxx smile

1. chuckbl profile image69
              chuckblposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I live half an hour south of Edinburgh, this appears to be a Scottish only subject!

Not at all chuckbl all are welcome smile

10. Healthy Pursuits profile image80
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 12 years ago

If the view is good and the thing only explodes once every three or four or five hundred years, that's a lot of lifetimes. (oh, and I live in the Northwest. ahem)

Of course, you could pick the safest place on earth to have a house, then get squashed by a meteor or have a huge cube of nasty ice dropped from and airline's restroom reservoir.

11. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Why do people live near active volcanos? Probably because they have a life view that agrees with them and it's they only live once. lol

If the volcano goes, their life is pretty much over with before any lava ever hardens. lol

12. AshtonFirefly profile image70
    AshtonFireflyposted 12 years ago

Probably the daredevil type people... hmm
    I'm scared to die. Period. You won't find me living near any freaking volcano.
    I don't care how long it's been hibernating.

13. calpol25 profile image60

Maybe they live there because they have a sick sense of humour?

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Or just maybe it was the only place to have peace and quiet? lol

1. AshtonFirefly profile image70
        AshtonFireflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

until the volcano erupts. Then it'd get pretty loud. And not so peaceful...until the lava killed you. Then you'd be in peace and quiet.... hmm

They would probably be dead shortly after hearing the sound...again peace and quiet....as my post said at the beginning of this page. They wouldn't live long enough for the lava to harden. lol

hahahhahah lol lol you seriously are bad Cagsil smile

lol lol

Awww.....don't take it too hard Ashton, I frighten plenty of people so you're in good company. lol

1. AshtonFirefly profile image70

......wonderful.....
                :I

tongue lol

2. AshtonFirefly profile image70

Yes he is. hmm you frighten me further, Mr. Cagsil....

Dont be scared Ashton I think he is just having a moment smile

Yeah, and that moment is called living life. lol

2. AshtonFirefly profile image70

yikes

big_smile

14. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

Just moved my office to the opposite side of my house; now I have a beautiful view of lush tropical trees and beautiful scenery and a huge volcano in the background - one of the many active ones throughout the Philippines..

Since I have been here I have felt several small tremors but have resisted the urge to go and drive up to the crater of the volcano to take a look! It is far enough away to not be an immediate danger.. I hope!!

The land is super fertile and you can grow anything here!!!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)