Can't insert a link - something's broken

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (58 posts)
  1. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 12 years ago

I'm trying to insert a link on my profile page to my Google+ page.  The link insertion feature in the "edit" mode now has a list of HubPages to link to, that wasn't there a few days ago.  When I insert the link I want, save, and view, the link goes to a weird message that says "no Amazon, did you mean Amazon.com."  Can anyone explain this and tell me what to do about it?  Google+ doesn't have anything to do with Amazon.

1. Robin profile image87
      Robinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You beat me to it, Cags. wink  I just added a link to my profile and it worked fine.  We provide you with suggested links, but if none of them apply then you have the option of inserting your own link into the box.

2. profile image0
      SirDentposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I just added a RedGage link on my profile using Google Chrome.  It worked with no problem at all.

Came back to edit.  I tried to re-add my Google+ and though it seems to work, once you save it and view the profile it changes to amazon. Not amazon.com, just plain amazon.

3. profile image0

Here is what I ended up doing.  The link I used is https://plus.google.com/?rel=author

You should be able to use that link also.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Hey Writer Fox,

You should be able to insert your Google+ link as an embedded link.

Put the words "Google+" into your profile, then "highlight" them and click on the "chain-link" icon to the left of the "broken-chain link" icon. When the window pops up in front of you, use the top white box to insert the URL.

Then save it.

3. Writer Fox profile image31

I just tried it again and it is still not working.  I do it the same way I have always linked to something – the same way Cagsil explained.

This is what I get when I post and click on the link:

Oops!  Google Chrome could not find amazon.  Did you mean: amazon.com
    So, of course, I go in again, edit, and remove the link.

HELP!

Has anyone actually tried to post in link in the past 24 hours?

1. Robin profile image87
      Robinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I just inserted a link right before I responded.  What browser are you using and I'll try in that browser.

Writer Foxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The browser I am using is Chrome.

1. IzzyM profile image87
          IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Aaaah you were too quick for me, Writer Fox! We cross-posted smile

2. IzzyM profile image87

Pssst..Robin, I think it might be Chrome?

Hint: "Oops!  Google Chrome could not find amazon."

3. profile image0

I put RedGage on my profile and it worked great.  Google+ does not work.  You add it in and save it but then it shows as http://AMAZON  Nothing to do with Google+.  I also tried 4 different browsers and they all did the same.

4. Writer Fox profile image31

Izzy - you really are a night owl.  I just checked the time of day in Spain!

I also tried Firefox, and HubPages wouldn't except my sign in from that brower.  Yes, I signed out first, changed browsers and couldn't get anywhere.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Try re-booting your computer.
      Just power down as normal, wait about 3 minutes for the computer memory to clear itself, and then start again.
      Sometimes computers get a little confused (just like us!)

Oh and its only 20 past midnight, but I have seen me still online at 9am from an all-nighter. I like the quiet of the night - that plus my internet access is always faster at night when everyone else has logged off and gone to sleep!

5. Writer Fox profile image31

Here's the latest:  I can post a link for anything, except my Google+ page.  Does it have something to do with the fact that the URL has too many numbers?  Could someone else try to link to this URL with this anchor text: Google+:
    https://plus.google.com/112916843659539634920

If you could try this, it would really help.  Of course, you can remove the link immediately after the test. 

I sent an e-mail to HubPages contact. . . no reply yet.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Try putting in ?rel=author at the end of that line.

Just tried that, IzzyM, didn't work.  This is what I got when I posted the link and then clicked on it:

Oops! Google Chrome could not find amazon
        Did you mean: amazon.­com

Could you, PLEASE, try posting on one of your pages just to see if it works?  Edit, save, then click and see what you get.  Then, of course, go back in and remove it from your page.

1. IzzyM profile image87

I'm now glad I didn't after seeing what happened to SirDent.

There does seem to be an issue here and hopefully hubstaff will look at it and find a fix if the link SirDent posted doesn't work.

1. profile image0

The link I used only takes me to my google+ page.  If you go to my profile and click the same link it will take you to yours I think.  Someone could try it and find out and let us know.

6. profile image0
    SirDentposted 12 years ago

Tried it in 3 different browsers and none work.  Always end up with the same thing.

7. profile image0

Now I tried it in Firefox.  Same thing.

8. Cagsil profile image70

Got it!

https://plus.google.com/?hl=en-US/rel=a … +Choiniere

Enter it just like this, but with your Google+ name.

1. profile image0

Clicking this link takes me to my own feed page.  Is it possible that it is messed up on Google's end?

9. Cagsil profile image70

Just played around with it and figured out how to hyperlink to my own Google+ account.

The link I provide brings you directly to my stream. I have left it on my profile.

Edit: I am using Google Chrome.

1. Rising Caren profile image77
      Rising Carenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry to disappoint you. I clicked on the link and it didn't take me to your google plus stream. It took me to mine. I think it just defaults to your own login.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Okay

1. Rising Caren profile image77

I think the only way you can link to your own page is by using the ugly link: https://plus.google.com/103818955901651134745/

And, the profile changes that link.

10. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

I don't know why you are having a problem.  I have it on my profile and had no issue.

Has HP changed something?

Hey PC, instead of asking why people are having problems, maybe you could assist. roll

1. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry - I was wondering if something had changed.  I see now that you were doing it wrong and realize that now.

As I have annoyed you yet again by asking a simple question, I will try harder in the future never to do that.  These text bits are so expensive, I can see why you are so touchy.

Hey PC, it has nothing to do with being touchy. It has to do with you asking foolish questions instead of helping out. I went to your profile and clicked on your link and it brought me to you on Google, however, when putting in the same link, but with MY Google+ numbers and putting ?rel=author at the end, it doesn't work.

Which doesn't make sense.  Did you "View Source" on mine to see if you really did do it the right way?

I asked if anything changed because I know you are not clueless and I assume you did just what I did,  it worked when I did it.

I can't look at your source from here with my iPad but you can see mine.

Google Chrome right click is "inspect element"? is it the same as view source? I assume it is because it brings me to the code underlying your link.

I mean, if that entire line needs to be as it appears in your "source", then yes there would be a huge difference compared to what has been tried. But, that's what I thought "chain" link icon did? It inserted the remaining part of the source, as the highlighted "words" being used.

So, it doesn't make any sense why yours is still working, but whenever anyone else puts in their code, as your is only "https://plus.google.com/####################?rel=author" it switches it over to "http://AMAZON" for some odd reason.

No, inspect element is not view source, but if you can see that the link is wrong, you have the problem.

But you are putting it in correctly so again, I wonder .

Do you have any Chrome extensions that could be munging this?

I HATE extensions!

2. Rising Caren profile image77

To be fair, you didn't have your google plus numbers when I clicked on your link in your profile page.

https://plus.google.com/103818955901651 … rel=author

^ works fine

11. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Don't you still have to enable something over at Google+ too? It's been a while since I set it up..

For authorship, yes, but not for the link to work.

12. profile image0

Mine was working until I tried to figure out why it wouldn't work for Writer Fox.  I tried it in Chrome, IE, Safari and Firefox.  I just tried again in Chrome and it didn't work.

13. Rising Caren profile image77
    Rising Carenposted 12 years ago

Worst comes to worst, that's what url shorteners are for.

There's already one just for that, call "gplus.to"

14. ezhang profile image81
    ezhangposted 12 years ago

I'm confirming that this is a bug. We'll look into it.

1. profile image0

Thank you very much.  smile

2. Pcunix profile image90

Ahh. So it is HP.

15. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

Just wondering out loud.. as Cags kept seeing messages about "Amazon", could this have something to do with the program changes supposed to be happening real soon now?

A little coding gone awry?

16. Writer Fox profile image31

Problem Solved
    Yes, the problem is with HubPages, but I found a way to circumvent that might help other uses until HubPages solves the problem.

What I did was go into TinyUrl.com, create a new Url for my Google+ page, insert that link on my HubPages profile with 'Google+' as the anchor test, and it's working!

Thank you to everyone who contributed their help for this problem.  I have yet to hear from HubPages support.  I'm new here:  Is that normal for HubPages!

Maybe.  Like most organizations today, they seem to be lean on staff.  Somebody is looking at the problem might be all you ever get.  I think something as important as that will get escalated, but lesser things might end up on the bottom of a long, long list.

Clever circumvention, btw!

2. profile image0

Awesome!!!   Thanks and good job figuring it out.  cool

17. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I love people that think laterally and find solutions.

Emm...that's it.

I was going to ask you how to fix a problem with my grass box cutter (lawn-mower grass box to those of us from the UK) but decided not to ask.

Stupid questions deserve stupid answers, so I'm going back to my corner now smile

Well done on thinking a solution all the same. Better than I could have done smile

1. profile image0

What is your grass box cutter not doing?

1. IzzyM profile image87

Ha! You took the bait!

Actually it's only the box, which is detachable from the machine.

By some stupid design, it attaches to the machine through plastic moulds cut out to leave small strips of plastic that hook onto the mower.

Three of them now have broken, all this year. Rats, wear and tear, dogs, cats, who knows, but I am looking, and thinking, when the 4th one goes, I can't use this machine.

Have checked on the company's website and no they don't sell the grass boxes on their own.

You have to buy a new mower.

Which s stupid but then again, what can I do about it?

I'm thinking there must be some way I can weld a metal strip or some kind of reinforcement.

I've never been one to think this hard, but I'm trying...

Anyway you don't have to answer, it's just another of the daft things that have driven me mental in life.

1. profile image0

Is the box you speak of for catching grass clippings?

1. IzzyM profile image87

The exact same one. Just a square plastic box that probably doesn't cost any more than a couple of dollars, if you could buy it separately.

1. profile image0

Can't you mow grass without it?  If not, could you possibly go to a machine shop and have them fabricate you some new brackets?

1. IzzyM profile image87

Yes I can mow lawn without it, but it kinda defeats the whole purpose, as I only grew a lawn for the grass clippings (compost).

I'm sure there must be some bright spark around can fix it, so yes there probably is a shop I can take it to, who will relieve me of a month's HP earning for the privilege.

I did say I was on a plunged account, didn't I?

No, I reckon I can fix this.

I had a similar problem recently with another garden 'part' and a brainwave hit me one night on how to solve that particular problem.

I was out there with my tape measure and about to take measurements when I realised it was fixed already.

My lodger had just stolen the needed part from one of the many houses round here that have repossessed by the bank and which are destined now to lie empty forever anyway.

Unfortunately, none of them have a lawn area to help me this time.

1. profile image0

Yes, I know you are in the plunge still.  I feel bad about that for you too and wish there was something I could do to help with that. 

Well, I tried to help with your mower.  I could probably fix it if you ship it to me.  tongue  lol

1. IzzyM profile image87

What a lovely thing to say!

Of course I'm not going to ship it your way, but I deeply appreciate the offer smile

18. Writer Fox profile image31

Here's an update.  I received this e-mail from HubPages support:

Hello,

Thanks for letting us know about this bug. Our engineers spent the weekend trying to resolve this issue, and believe they have figured it out. The fix should go out by the end of the day. I apologize for the confusion this error may have caused. Please let us know if you have any questions.

1. profile image0

I got a similar email yesterday.  I just tried to add my Gooogle+ profile link and it still doesn't work.

Wow!  I guess the weekend just wasn't long enough to fix the problem.  Thanks for letting everyone know.  I'm sticking with the 'tinyurl.com' solution because that link is working.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)