Why is Adsense so limited these days.

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 12 years ago

There is something I don't understand about Adsense. Yes, Panda limited the traffic but why is it the number of clicks has dropped in terms of percentage. The page ctr used to be between 2% and 4%. These days, if it is .01%, it's a lot. I don't understand how the percentage of people clicking ads can have been affected by Panda.

For example, if 200 people visited your hub before Panda, then 4 of them might have clicked on an ad. These days you seem to need 400 people to get just one person to click - if you're lucky.

Has Google Adsense ads been removed from HubPages? Have they been put in a different place so that people don't see them so much anymore/

I can understand less traffic, but the ratio of people who click on the ads should have remained the same. It didn't. Why is that?

Many thanks.

2. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 12 years ago

Do you have HubAds enabled? If so, it's most likely because of HubAds. I found that when I enabled it, my AdSense dropped way low. That said, I earn more with the HubAds program than I did with just AdSense.

3. LeanMan profile image78
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

If you have the HubAds enabled then Adsense is relagated to a tiny little cupboard on your hub where almost no one will see it and people are more likely to be clicking on the hubads which should have replaced or bettered your previous adsense earnings..

You have the option to turn of hubads and return to just adsense if you feel you will earn more.

1. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Okay, thank you. Yes,  my earnings are much better with HubAds than with Adsense. I did ask about this before and I was told that there were just as many Adsense ads as there used to be (this was by someone from hubpages) so I was very confused. Thank you for clarifying that. wink

4. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 12 years ago

There are just as many AdSense ads as before.  What many people fail to understand is just how the HubPages ad program works.

The in-house program looks at both the AdSense ad that is about to be served to your hub, and the ad about to come from the HubPage ad program, and then actually serves the ad which has the higher pay rate.  In many cases, the in-house ad has the higher pay potential and wins.

Also, some AdSense blocks are now included in the HubPages ad program, and so that money is included in the ad program payouts, and thus is not credited to your individual account.

5. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

It's not just here.  I have seen a marked decrease in CPC, CTR and RPM.  I run Google reports comparing these to previous years - the decrease is real.

See this thread too:  http://www.webmasterworld.com/google_ad … 367241.htm

1. skyfire profile image81
      skyfireposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Is it because of keyword hijacking on adwords ? I mean what these ads are doing on tech niche site ?

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/5791/38ad1.jpg

and
      http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/9955/24babyad.jpg

1. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I suspect it's just a bad economy.  Advertisers will naturally reduce the amount they are willing to pay.  A newspaper might try to hold prices, but Google has always worked on a bid basis.

1. JimmieWriter profile image86
          JimmieWriterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Doesn't Google also show ads based on a reader's past browsing and searching history? We can even +1 ads now. So that may bring up fashion or baby ads in a tech lens.

The problem is that I don't use google by logging in or without loginin. I use it through scroogle. My google searches are in tech, history, science and music niche. I don't search for 'fashion' or 'celeb' stuff and being a single guy, there's no chance for searching 'baby' queries.

1. I am DB Cooper profile image63
              I am DB Cooperposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Google can connect the dots. It figures out you're a single guy, then it assumes it's only a matter of time before you knock up a Kardashian sister. Better start serving this guy some celeb and baby ads.

lol

2. Pcunix profile image90

Sure, but we are talking about overall CTR and CPM, not what the ad is.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
              psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What the ad is is one of the main things that effects whether the visitor clicks it, strangely enough. The implied suggestion is that less appealing ads are being served.

1. Pcunix profile image90

Possibly, though I think Google and Bing are getting very smart about that.

People like us may be seeing strange things as we research stuff and edit our older posts, but we can't go by that to judge what a more normal person would see.

6. whoisbid profile image60
    whoisbidposted 12 years ago

There are a lot more irrelevant ads appearing these days. I guess that Google is lowering it's standards

7. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

bec of the new ad layout that affects the earnings

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/84621

they pay higher for ads that are clicked from US AUS, Canada, UK

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)