Record gun sales in December

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (26 posts)
  1. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

1.5 million background checks to buy guns in December - the most ever in a single month. Nov. came in second place. It's not just the far right buying firearms. My northern-liberal-Democrat best friend bought her husband a big, bad gun for Christmas, and no, he's not a hunter. What's up with all the gun sales?

1. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am not shocked by this. Protection, why else.

2. ledefensetech profile image69
      ledefensetechposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I imagine it has to do with the state of our local police forces.  We're almost four years into the Second Great Depression and not only are we not paying our police more, we're cutting back on security.  Well local security anyway.  The Feds get everything they want. 

Plenty of people around here carry concealed and we don't have shootings and mass murder on a daily basis.  Of course the city is about two hours away, but cities have always been magnets for crime.

3. Jill Dockery profile image61
      Jill Dockeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think with the Discovery Series "Sons of Guns" more people have been introduced to guns in a different way.  Will hayden and his co-owner daughter Stephanie show people that guns can be good.

2. dadibobs profile image59
    dadibobsposted 12 years ago

To be honest, as an Englishman it all seems kind of scary anyway lol

1. barryrutherford profile image75
      barryrutherfordposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As an Australian the gun culture prevents me from viewing America as a positive place to visit with shooting happening on a daily basis.

1. profile image0
        Longhunterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As an American, I'm glad we at least have the right of self-protection, something your people gave up long ago.

1. Greek One profile image62
          Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LH, you might be mixing up the 'right of self-protection' with the 'need for self-protection"  smile

1. profile image0

I don't know where you live, Greek, but I feel the 'need' so I exercise the 'right.'

1. Greek One profile image62
              Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I live in a country where handguns are illegal, so don't feel the need smile

1. profile image0

That's certainly not the case here in the U.S.

2. profile image50
          Jesus was a hippoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have the right of self protection in England. Of course I dont need to own a gun if 99.9% of criminals dont own one either.

1. profile image0

I'm glad for you, Hippo. Unfortunately, the criminals here do have guns so I legally carry one as well.

As for the ones that only carry knives, well, that's their mistake and I would shoot them just the same.

1. profile image50

Dont get me wrong I understand the implications of owning a gun, it can disarm many attackers but if making guns legal means that everyone will have one then it clearly a detriment to the society.

Just compare Britains murder rate with that of the US.

1. profile image0

And, please, don't get me wrong. I understand where you're coming from as well. Your society is much older than ours and maybe it works best for you. But here in the U.S., we were given the right the bare arms in our Constitution to protect ourselves from an over reaching government as much as a single attacker. I don't see the American people giving that right up without one hell of a fight.

1. profile image58
                  geordmcposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Amen.LH, AMEN

2. profile image50

As far as an overeaching government goes, I dont think any american will make use of arms for that reason in our lifetime.

All it boils down to, is that so many criminals have guns in america so guns are needed for defence. Of course, if guns weren't legal in the first place, criminals would be less likely to own them and they wouldnt be needed for defence.

All due to an old law that is too late to change. Its a bit of a catch 22 situation. Either keep them legal and always have high gun crime, or make them illegal in a country that already has millions of guns rendering law abding citizens defenceless.

1. profile image0

You are right in that if we outlaw guns, we'd only be disarming law-abiding citizens. Criminals aren't going to willing give up their weapons.

As for a high crime rate being due to guns, that's not right. Here in the U.S., where citizens are allowed to legally carry, the average crime rate actually goes down. Seems the criminal has a problem with possible victims being able to shoot back.

3. Cassie Smith profile image59
    Cassie Smithposted 12 years ago

I think people are afraid that there will be a breakdown in security and more crime because the government has little money to give away to welfare recipients and sustain an effective police force. Crime is on the rise and ordinary people are trying to be prepared.

1. profile image0

Well said, Cassie.

4. Greek One profile image62
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_k07pirzBU34/Sb_UhKNtx5I/AAAAAAAAAuw/H7Rxp2Du5OY/s400/santa%2520gun.jpg

5. Greek One profile image62

".... WELL WHAT THE HELL DID YOU WANT ME TO DO, MARGE???  HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW IT WASN'T A THIEF TRYING TO GET IN THROUGH THE ROOF???"

http://xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/tv/files/2010/12/rudolph.jpg

6. profile image0
    Longhunterposted 12 years ago

Given the state of the economy, there have been more and more stories in the news about robberies in my area. I have a permit to carry and do so everywhere it's legal.

The people I've talked to feel a need to protect their families and themselves from criminals and have gone through the necessary steps to make sure they can do so legally.

Unfortunately, some of these same people feel the same need may arise with our own government. I sincerely hope this isn't the case.

7. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

I lived in a city for many years, on a hill so sound travels, where used to hear gunshots at least twice a week. Still I never felt the need to own a gun. Drug dealers shooting at drug dealers.

8. Greek One profile image62

sigh... all this gun culture because King George wanted to tax tea

9. aware profile image68
    awareposted 12 years ago

i can only speak for my own gun possession. the 4 we have are for hunting game not men. to deny the hungry because of the blood thirsty isnt a viable solution is it?  i hate to say this  because i see the problem with piles of small arms everywhere . but  . guns dont kill people . people kill people.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)