Deleting Outdated Hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

I've tried to update a few dated hubs but still getting no traffic. I'm concerned that deleting them completely will hurt my score.
    Maybe rewriting them with a new twist and publish  after a while"
    I don't want to summon the duplicate police...roll
    any other ideas or suggestions?

2. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 12 years ago

Over the last couple of months, I've deleted a few weak performers and it hasn't hurt anything.  Why do you think getting rid of something that's getting no traffic will be harmful?  I mean, who's going to notice if those Hubs are gone if no one is visiting them?

1. Stacie L profile image89
      Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

ok, wink

1. Cardisa profile image89
        Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I ahve deleted my short stories because after my HP fans read them then they go dead and my score went up because they were dragging down my hub average. If your hubscore is too low your average sags. Getting rids of hubs that have dropped because of no traffic will increase the average again.

1. mary615 profile image83
          mary615posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm thinking the same thing, Cardisa.  My short stories are "dead in the water".  I was thinking of "unpubishing them and rewriting them as a poem in some way.  Hubbers love poems, I think.  What do you think of that idea??

I am not sure because the URL will remain the same. The title and the URL must be similar even it you change the title it still must have the same subject as the URL. But rewriting the story and adding poetry to it and tweaking the title just a little might do the trick.

I also have another trick I use. I delete the hub, then it starts to gain points again (don't ask me why, only HP knows) and before the 24 is up I  undelete and republish.

1. WryLilt profile image89
              WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why do the title and the URL have to be similar?

2. mary615 profile image83

Cardisa, I'm a little slow today!  What do you mean "before the 24 is up, you undelete and republish?"  When I have the time, I'm going to persue this little project.

Sorry Mary, I meant 24 hour period before HP permanently deletes it.

Gee, I wasn't aware of that at all.  Thanks a bunch!

1. profile image0
                    MP50posted 12 years agoin reply to this

hello Mary, how are you today?

3. profile image0
              MP50posted 12 years agoin reply to this

One smart lady.

4. Maddie Ruud profile image72
              Maddie Ruudposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This actually does nothing for your score or traffic long-term.  There isn't any point to it, and it could do harm if Google happens to try to crawl the page when it's unpublished and finds it isn't there.

Really? Wow! I usually delete then republish but I won't do that then.

@Mary,I suggest you don't either. I think what Maddie is saying if you are deleting the hub then go ahead but don't delete and republish cause that's bad for us.

I think I've got it now!

2. WryLilt profile image89
                WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+++ As for the title and url being the same, often I make them completely different.

It means you can go for more LSI keywords. For instance:

Title: Red Striped Hats
                Url: maroon-christmas-headgear

I did say the title and URL must be similar in subject, not exactly the same. What I mean is that if your title is about dogs it doesn't make sense that your URL is about trees. Just saying....

2. SmartAndFun profile image93
                  SmartAndFunposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have been wondering if more keywords are better, like the example you gave with the red hats. Is instead of zeroing in on one phrase and repeating it throughout the hub, I'm wondering if it would be more effective to cover more bases by using a vaiery of search terms. For example using "recipe for salmon patties" in the title, "how to make salmon croquettes" in one of the subheads and then "salmon cakes recipe" in the body of the hub.

It's similar to what I do when titling an item for sale on ebay. Instead of just "Dallas Cowboys Coffee Mug" I title my ebay listing with all the search terms I can think of, say "Dallas Cowboys NFL Team Football Coffee Mug Cup." (Not that I would use such a crazy title for a hub.)

What is the general consensus on that strategy?

P.S. What does LSI stand for?

2. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think the whole point of writing and publishing online is to find a voice and be read. Maybe it's an ego thing, maybe not but just publishing to publish will get you nothing in return and if you are really trying to become a professional writer then leaving 'crap' up under your name is going to do some damage, especially if you choose to use your writing here at HP as your source portfolio.

@Stacie  You originally wrote the hub because for some reason the topic peaked your interest.  Don't trash it, revise it.  Find what is missing and which elements are needed to bring in the traffic.  Determine if it is a topic people are searching for, even a low searched topic is better than a no searched topic.  If your topic gets no searches then it probably is a good idea to ditch it and start fresh.  By ditching it, I mean taking it off of HP and placing it on your own blog, not deleting it.  Sometimes an article just needs a new home to let it shine.  I've done that with nearly 80 of my hubs so far and they are shining where I placed them where they were getting little or no views here.

Well said!

2. wordscribe43 profile image90
        wordscribe43posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes I wonder if a hub that doesn't do well here may not do well anywhere, though.  Meaning, Google just won't take a shine to it no matter where its home.  It depends upon the hub, though.  Now that my subdomain is doing well, I regret moving some of my better producers to my websites.  Ugh!  Might have to move them back...

1. livewithrichard profile image72
          livewithrichardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The thing is, here on HP a hub has to stand or fall on its own.  When you take an article and publish it on your own blog, it becomes 'filler' for the most part and if you have your ping plugins set then the locations you have set will be notified that you have new material.  It's not so much that they will do better there, its just that on a blog, more is better.

3. Dorsi profile image87
      Dorsiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But ohhhhh...it's just so HARD to press that delete button!! Seriously though, I am going through all my poorer performing hubs and either going to revise them , delete them or put them on my blog if I just can't quite let them go yet....

Time to clean house!!

3. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

thanks to everyone who made their suggestions.I have revised them Richard and they are not working...I may put them elsewhere.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)