Do you agree that we "invited" everything that happens into our life?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (66 posts)
  1. Jynzly profile image63
    Jynzlyposted 12 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6044238_f248.jpg
    Philosophically, we cause everything that happens into our lives either consciously or subconsciously. What about those things that block us from progress, do we invite them too? If so how and why?

1. profile image0
      Muldaniaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is a question I have been asking myself a lot lately, and I think I would have to answer yes in part.  Of course things happen to us which we have no control over.  However, some negative things which seem to block us are I believe created by ourselves, even though it might be the last thing we might consciously want.

1. mischeviousme profile image59
        mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's part of our individual experience and is in the workings of the universe. We experience the sufferings of life and so we seek release, I understand completely, since I was hanged as a child. I don't cling to it though and that's where the real happiness is, putting it behind me.

2. Jynzly profile image63
        Jynzlyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Muldania,
        I agree with you, that's why I said to mischevious me that we have to continuously search ourselves in order to discern what we keep inside us and to understand the workings of the universe as an aide or response to our unique self.
        Thanks for the response.

2. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Realistically, there are external influences that cause things to happen in our lives, too.

Not really, those who are brainwashed into religion did not invite the indoctrination, but it still blocks the progress of thinking, honesty and respect in those who are.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
        couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, they did invite it. Why are they there? They sought that and invited it in.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
          A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They were born into the family so how could they seek or invite indoctrination?

3. perfectperception profile image60
      perfectperceptionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good one!  Not sure I believe we cause the things that happen as much as we allow the outcomes to affect us either positively or negatively and that is where hindrance to or effect on our success is determine.

Hi perfectperception,
        What about if the hindrance comes from the bureaucratic government such as you are not issued a visa because of sheer personal dislike by an interviewer in the embassy. Do you think we cause it? and how can we "not allow" it to affect us when it is the major block of our dream?

4. edhan profile image36
      edhanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There are certain factors that will not be within our controls. What we can do is based on our six sense at times while most of the time, we will follow our hearts.

One thing for sure, we can change certain parts of our lives as long as we are strong and determined.

Hi edhan,
        Yes, if only I have control on everything that I do then life would have been much easier as I can follow through all my dreams and goals without any distractions or interventions from people and circumstances. When I create a goal, those distractions were not included but as I follow through, the distractions take most of the time, worse they are the ones that block me.

5. GoodLady profile image91
      GoodLadyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Things happen in life that are certainly not invited.
      Murder for example.
      Tragic family pasts.
      Accidents. (like a rock falling on you or a car crash).
      Acts of God or Nature. (Tsunami's, earthquake).
      Famine (there are many third world countries filled with people who never had a meal or a chance to live without illness and famine!).
      Being born with a deformity or having a child with a deformity. (natural handicaps).
      And more.
      Yes, the man at the embassy with power to block a person's path.
      A rotten professor at university.
      A lot of illnesses...from bacteria etc.

6. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is a belief system that has no grounds in fact. If you're sitting in Indonesia and a tsunami hits, all 100,000 people on that beach did not subconsciously bring that event about anymore than the people in Japan did when a tsunami hit them. Or, for that matter, the students at Columbia when a lone gunman went wild.

What is true is that our actions and our attitude (not our thoughts) have a response from other people.

That is called cause and effect.

Hi Sophia,
        I appreciate your comment. That's good enough analogy, but not everybody thins the way you do; there are always other ways of thinking; professional philosophers have other way of looking at things.

7. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We like balance.

yes, balance have to be worked out.

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

Yes, I caused my mum to slit my throat when I was 2.5 years old.

We might cause some things, but some things we have no influence over. Even a complete pessimist might win the lottery.

Hi WryLit,
      You made me smile.hehe. I like the way you answer.
      Thanks.

1. wordscribe43 profile image89
        wordscribe43posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can't say that answer made me smile...  I don't think she was kidding, I could be wrong.  But, if you're not WryLilt, I'm so very sorry.  I'm glad you're okay.

PS: No I don't think we invite EVERYTHING into our lives.  I know my upcoming 6th knee surgery isn't something I threw out a welcome mat for.  hmm

Hi wordscrbe43,
          Thanks for that comment...I should not have said "made me smile" but it really did, not because of the answer but I found some humour in the way she said it...it can be a sarcasm in her part or whatever is the motive behind...maybe I am naive but I welcome anyone and I allow anyone to be "him" or "her"; I have no hurt feelings...

2. Pearldiver profile image69
          Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh Wordscribe.. I'm so sorry that you have to go through another knee surgery.. but be brave and if you really think positively about it....
          Then this time, maybe you will 'invite' the surgeon to put your leg back on the right way round this time! smile

wordscribe won't 'invite' the surgeon...she needs to go to the hospital for surgery.

1. Pearldiver profile image69

Are you Sure about that? 
              I'm sure I was told she has been really busy 'kicking around' marketing ideas for her 'back-the-front' shoe brand.. smile

Ow I don't really gossip, I just reacted to the 'invite' the surgeon...nobody in his right mind, and in the normal condition, would invite a surgeon to his home for the surgery. the operating room is allowed only in the hospital or clinic, depending on the condition.

Oh don't get me wrong... I wasn't gossiping either smile

I'm from NZ.. so you probably don't understand my accent smile

However, if you stand up straight, like against the wall and have someone measure the length of your right leg...
                  I know that it will be longer than your left leg! 

Wordscribe had the same problem... that is where I was coming from!
                  I'm sure she will confirm my intuitive powers! smile

Really, my late husband was from New Zealand, he was a gentleman and would never open his mouth unless necessary. I don't really care where anyone comes from. We all die when struck by lightning...Ow! God forbid.

2. wordscribe43 profile image89
            wordscribe43posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm pretty sure amputation is the only hope for the leg at this point, PD.  They have some kick a$$ prosthetics I'm looking into.  This will be just the advertising gig my back to front shoe campaign is looking for!  Prosthetic shoes and all...  an untapped market, really.

3. WryLilt profile image88
          WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, I wasn't kidding (I've got a hub about it somewhere, about her bipolar disorder.)

But glad someone likes my answers smile

Don't worry, I'm fine now and looking back it was a life changing experience which made me the awesome person I am today (but I think the ego is all my own!)

Good On You mate... I love people who take responsibility for their Ego like that Wry! smile

1. WryLilt profile image88

Damn straight. Hate false modesty. Why not flaunt it?

Damn Straight.. I have to chain mine sometimes! big_smile

4. Jynzly profile image63

Wordscribe43
          I understand; but I am not just talking about "conscious knowing" as such you consciously or knowingly "invited" the situation or condition. There is a so-called "subconscious knowing", in this, you yourself is not aware that perhaps deep within you, your psyche is inviting such condition so that you will give yourself a rest or a break...ordinary left-brain thinking can never see this within himself.

1. WryLilt profile image88

Sorry but I think that's just ridiculous - in both my situation and WordScribes.

2. Repairguy47 profile image60
      Repairguy47posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your mother slit your throat?

3. janesix profile image61
    janesixposted 12 years ago

No.

4. Jynzly profile image63

Hi mischeviousme,
    I do believe in the workings of the universe but sometimes the blocks are too high a mountain to climb and we are not given wings to fly; I know that it's a lifetime and progressive self-learning to know what we keep within us in order to understand the lessons that the universe is trying to convey for our own good and for everyone concerned around us.
    Thanks for the response.
    Jynzly

5. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

No. That idea annoys ma as much as the idea that people who are happy and buy organic carrots will never get cancer.  It is sanctimonious and comes mainly from smug lucky people are are convinced they are fully responsible for their own good fortune.

Sometime shit just happens.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1

Hi psycheskinner,
      It's easy to claim that we cause ourselves the "good fortune" but it's as confusing to accept bad luck. If philosophical reasoning is always right and if we can see through the minds of thinkers perhaps we will agree; I myself am confused how I invited those blocks done by people deliberate to me, if it is true that I caused everything that happened to me.

6. ytsenoh profile image60
    ytsenohposted 12 years ago

I believe everything operates under cause and effect.  I also believe the circumstances we are presented with of which we did not promote or cause, can also affect or influence us in some manner.  The way we respond to everything is an influence to someone, even if that someone is ourselves.  I think as wisdom grows, so does our levels of awareness. That being said, I believe we can plan a goal, a day, a trip, which would be all caused by our own conscious act of doing.  I believe a person can subconsciously avoid painful memories, but outside of that, I pretty much believe we are aware of our surroundings inasmuch as we choose to be or learn to me.  Hope that's not a muddy response!

Hi ytsenoh,
      Thanks for the response. You are a thinker in your answer; yes, I know that there are lots of things we habitually do in our interactions with others that caused them to react in the way they also habitually do given a certain situation. These interactions are sometimes, if not often, could result to misunderstandings, disagreement, and even anger because we differ in our perceptions; we are sometimes confused how things went wrong especially when we had no intention to be rude or to cause the conflict; that's why it is important that we have to be assertive in order to know our motives in dealing with others.

7. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

What do you mean my birth certificate expired?

Where have you been, PDS?

2. Hollie Thomas profile image61

Deleted

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
        paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Forum burnout.

Yes, think I've been there, too. Glad you're back though. wink

Topics just don't seem to entice me any more.

As an example, I have no interest in eating my placenta.

lol it depends what mood you might be in, and how bored you may be. I wouldn't want to eat my placenta either. But Greekone did, at least, make me laugh in there.

As to this thread, I do indeed believe in karma.

To some extent, so do I.

Believing in karma is good enough...at least there is something left to believe in...for you

ow sorry paradigmsearch; anything else that can entice you? just curious.

8. Jynzly profile image63

Yes GoodLady, if only I have control over those things that block me from progress such as the embassy incident and the death of my beloved Colin, life by now would have been according to how I desire it to be. But why do some philosophy insists that these things happen for a purpose is really very annoying.

9. Xenonlit profile image59
    Xenonlitposted 12 years ago

I do not agree with this distressing need for simple answer to life experiences. Life simply does not work that way, and some of the examples in this forum are proof.

Hi Xenonlit,
      It may be simple to you but for me it's big time frustrations, imagine I had been almost a year struggling with legal matters and the embassy to join my husband in the U.S., paid thousands of dollars to an agency and a lawyer and I am still here; worse, I cannot see anything wrong with me...so the question was born...there is always a story behind the simplest question. Actually I thank those who answered me seriously such as ytsenoh; I consider her answer valuable...perhaps I can start thinking from there.

10. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

At this stage in my life, I control more of what happens to me than not, and I have most certainly "invited" many things into my life for which I accept full responsibility.  However, there are things that happen in our lives that are just beyond our control and all we can do about them is handle them the best way possible.

Good thinking Disturbia, thanks

11. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Unconscious knowing is certainly an aspect of consciousness often called a hunch.

yes it is but the difference is that conscious knowing is that you are aware of what is going on in your mind, whereas subconscious knowing is you just act according to your hunches if you are trained to "feel" or listen , or "sense" yourself...it is more passive in nature.

12. knolyourself profile image59

Guy tried to sell me heroin on the street a long time ago. I said how do you know I am not an undercover cop? With the jail time this is pretty serious stuff.
    All he said was your not with a big smile. Seems to me this was a guy that would have to have pretty serious unconscious knowing.

Actually, it's not unconscious knowing...it's subconscious...there's a big difference...

13. knolyourself profile image59

What's the difference?

unconscious... is without consciousness which means completely not knowing, whereas subconscious... is there is a "sense" knowing although it needs some sort of "training" in order to experience that kind of knowing...e.g. feeling, hunch...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)