Health Topics Website mostly copied from HubPages

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (45 posts)
  1. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 12 years ago

I found two of my hubs copied on the website New Health Tips.  I also found 2 by habee, and one by Money Glitch. I checked maybe 10 posts and all from HubPages except one from ezine. 

Per Sir Dent's help, the site is hosted by Website Welcome, with contact for DMCA: abuse@websitewelcome.com. 

EDIT:  See Susanna S's post below.  Seems my info for host and DMCA filing address is wrong.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So I hope u filed a DCMA report

2. Susana S profile image93
    Susana Sposted 12 years ago

Thanks for this Rose smile I found one of mine on there and also one of MoonDaisy's (I've let her know).

According to the whois data the website is hosted by hostgator.

Domain Name: NEWHEALTHTIPS.COM
       Registrar: GODADDY.COM, LLC
       Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
       Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
       Name Server: NS3415.HOSTGATOR.COM
       Name Server: NS3416.HOSTGATOR.COM
       Updated Date: 05-oct-2011
       Creation Date: 15-mar-2005
       Expiration Date: 15-jun-2012

Here's the link to their DMCA form: http://www.hostgator.com/dmca.php

And here's google's search copyright removal form: https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools … pli=1&

rmcrayneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well either Sir Dent got it wrong, or they changed hosting since 4 weeks ago (I procrastinated dealing with this).  Thanks Susana.  Guess I'll send off another DMCA letter tomorrow, hopefully to the correct place this time.

1. Susana S profile image93
        Susana Sposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome.

The thieves could well have changed their hosting provider but from what I can glean websitewelcome was, or is, a hostgator reseller account.

I looked up website welcome and they seem to be a complete scam themselves! If you go to hxxp://www.websitewelcome.com there is simply a page which says "For abuse issues related to the websitewelcome.com domain, please email your complaint with any relevant logs to abuse@websitewelcome.com"

I reckon there's hundreds of hubs there. I found another by MoneyGlitch (sent email).

I had already sent an email to website welcome, and got a response from hostgator!

While they discouraged multiple emails on "each issue", they did welcome new information, so I wrote back that 100% of the articles that I checked were copied from other sites, mostly HubPages.

Lol I'm sure they do discourage multiple emails - it's a complete pain in the arse for them! Still every writer who has been stolen from has a right to file DMCA's and I think it's in their interest to do so - it will get the site taken down and de-indexed a lot quicker.

3. Moon Daisy profile image80
    Moon Daisyposted 12 years ago

Thank you so much for letting me know about this Susana.  I have been trying to find an address to write to them, but the only contact address on their site (support@newhealthtips.com), doesn't seem to work and gets returned.

I will try going down the DCMA route with the information you've provided.

You're welcome smile I always appreciate it when someone let's me know something of mine has been stolen.

Personally I rarely bother with polite emails to the website owner, especially when they are clearly just a thief! I go straight to the host and to google - it gets resolved a lot faster.

1. Moon Daisy profile image80
        Moon Daisyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I did the DMCA and they are processing it, so hopefully that will do the trick. 

This is a bit OT, but how come my "copied hub" section didn't spot that this hub had been copied?  Is this not what it's for?  (Or perhaps it's supposed to detect when I've copied some content, I'm not sure..)

Or maybe it takes time for any copied content to be detected there.  Does anyone know?

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jason explained recently that it's expensive for them to run the program that checks for copied Hubs.  So they only run it for sub-domains with high traffic, and even then it's only run occasionally.

Personally, I recently signed up for Copyscape (the Premium service).  It's not as expensive as I thought and it's really, really thorough. If you export your Statistics page as a csv and then copy/paste the list of URL's into the Batch Search, it's quick and easy too.

The annoying thing is, it's so thorough it picks up every little duplicated thing, so you get a lot of false positives from short quotes etc.  But I just ignore all the pale yellow results.

Thank you, that's interesting to know.  I have never heard of copyscape, will check it out.

As Marisa says the copy checker is not run that often, if at all, so it can't be relied on.

I'm off to check out copyscape....

Thanks for this information Susana.

4. rmcrayne profile image90

No word from my DMCA except automated response of acknowledgement.  Now I'm up to 4 hubs (that I know of) on the New Health Tips website.  They copied all of my breast cancer hubs. I also recognized one by Lily Rose, even tho they are tweaking the titles.  Looks like every single hub is copied, and maybe 90% from HP.

Hmm, they haven't removed mine either, nor contacted me since the automated responses.  Although the last automated response stated:

"Your DMCA has been accepted and processed. Please allow the standard 48 hours for a resolution. If no resolution has been reached in that time the material in question will be disabled"

And it hasn't been 48 hours yet since I did my DCMA.  Has it been for you?  I'm hoping they stick to their word..

My 48 hours will be up tomorrow morning, about 9 hours from now.

2. rmcrayne profile image90

THE NERVE!!! This was the response from the website/webmaster:

We've got your copyright complaint by the hosting service. We are not based on U.S.A. and not obligated by United State's laws. But we've got respect for other website and intellectual properties. The content which was related to your complaint was added to our website by our volunteer editors. For us a public content that's opened to world wide web is not copyright protected unless it has a literatural value or including a specific sciencetific reasearch. Any text content is not copyrighted material if it's redistribution of public knowledge without highly literature value. But we are willing to add your name to the document if you permit, or if you will not give permition we will edit the content page properly if you can prove us that you are the copyright owner more than DMCA records. We want to know this is legally your intellectual property in a non-digital legal registered document.

I hope you send them a thorough and pointed reply as to why they are talking utter nonsense! Keep us updated.

2. IzzyM profile image87
          IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They might not be based in the USA, but their hosting company is, so falls under US law.
          They are wrong. I would be sorely tempted to send them a bill as Susana suggests. It's probably a teenager working away in his bedroom anyway.

3. wordscribe43 profile image90
          wordscribe43posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh my gosh!  This is just... is just... I'm speechless.  I like their "literatural" and "sciencetific" words, personally.  I'm seething for everyone involved.  I need to go take a more thorough look myself, gave it a brief peek the other day and to be honest, didn't feel like dealing with the irritation.  But, that correspondence is enough to make me WANT to find something so I can give them a piece of my mind.  THE NERVE is right!  Off to check copyscape... God help me with whatever I find.

5. Cheeky Girl profile image67
    Cheeky Girlposted 12 years ago

Wow, there is a lot of copied content on this website!

Here's its details as of Tues 24th Jan

Reverse Google Adsense ID: no Google AdSense ID found on newhealthtips.com
    Reverse Google Analytics ID: no Google Analytics ID found on newhealthtips.com
    Reverse IP:    10,002 domains for ip 68.178.232.100
    Reverse NS records: ns33.domaincontrol.com NS.
    The record has over 100,000 domains
    ns34.domaincontrol.com NS record has over 100,000 domains
    Reverse MX records: mailstore1.secureserver.net MX record has over 100,000 domains

I recommend Copyscape, as it is great for keeping tabs on any nicked content that belongs to you.
    That Health Website has a "0" Page rank right now.

6. K9keystrokes profile image82
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

If anyone wants to know just a few of the HP authors I just found among the stolen content here is a list I noted in the last 10 minutes of searching the thieving sites content;

HubPages authors who have been scraped or copied on the new health tips site;

freelanceauthor
    liambean
    hyunchang
    reasonablyspeaking
    hubmob-rmc
    sisyphus1
    rm crayne wink
    kelleyeidem
    allhealthsecret
    spiffyd
    rgarnett
    joannaverdan
    susana-s
    Money Glitch smile
    hassam
    lindaadams37
    runnerjane33
    (sorry if I spelled any of the names wrong I am in a hurry)

And this only took about 10 minutes to find. Imagine if someone spent an hour? This is pure BS! You guys work far to hard to share your glory! Thanks for pointing out this site Rose, HubHugs~
    K9

Wow, thanks K9.  Add

habee
      Lily Rose

1. K9keystrokes profile image82
        K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Totally saw tons of habee and  also lily rose but I thought you had already listed them both, my mistake. cool

7. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Thanks for the heads up!!

8. Susana S profile image93

How about if we send them bills for using our content? tongue

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

thats what I say! send a bill.

9. Susana S profile image93

I have a copyright infringement letter that I wrote for soemthing else and could be edited? If anyone wants it just drop me a line.

10. Susana S profile image93

Has anyone heard back from hostgator? I sent out a ton of DMCA's over a couple of days, many to hostgator, and though I keep getting these emails from them saying pages have been removed I can't tell which pages they are talking about!

11. Susana S profile image93

Oh, I've just been to the site and my article on insomnia has been removed. That's a good start!

My first two still are clickable.  The text is no longer there, but says "coming soon" under the title.

This was what I got from Hostgator, before I got the crazy response above from the site owner. 

This message is to acknowledge receipt of your DMCA complaint.

We may respond to your notice by removing or disabling access to material claimed to infringe, and/or terminating users of our services. If we remove or disable access in response to such a notice, we will make a good-faith attempt to contact the owner or administrator of the affected site or content so that the owner or administrator may make a counter notification. We may also document notices of alleged infringement on which we act. As with all legal notices, a copy of the notice may be made available to the public and sent to one or more third parties who may make it available to the public.

In order to ensure that copyright owners do not wrongly insist on the removal of materials that actually do not infringe their copyrights, the safe harbor provisions require service providers to notify the subscribers if their materials have been removed and to provide them with an opportunity to send a written notice to the service provider stating that the material has been wrongly removed. [512(g)]. If a subscriber provides a proper "counter-notice" claiming that the material does not infringe copyrights, the service provider must then promptly notify the claiming party of the individual's objection. [512(g)(2)] If the copyright owner does not bring a lawsuit in district court within 14 days, the service provider is then required to restore the material to its location on its network. [512(g)(2)(C)]

If it is determined that the copyright holder misrepresented its claim regarding the infringing material, the copyright holder then becomes liable to the OSP for any damages that resulted from the improper removal of the material. [512(f)]

Regards,

Michael Karr
      Senior Security Administrator
      HostGator.com LLC
      http://support.hostgator.com

Sounds like the articles were temporarily removed, but could be reposted.

12. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

One of my stolen hubs even has my photo of my deceased mom!!

That's just wrong. sad

I also think that that'd feel like a violation. sad

They seem to have taken mine down now.  (Hope it stays that way!)
        I hope they take everybody else's down too.

I think they'll only take down pages when the owner sends a DMCA to hostgator - which is why everyone needs to make sure they send them.

They are obviously net savvy as they have their Whois data hidden behind "domains by proxy" (godaddy private registration).

+++

2. K9keystrokes profile image82

hmm There is something really wrong with that habee... almost a personal violation in my mind.

13. rmcrayne profile image90

Host sent email today that their "client informs us" the articles have been removed.  The title pages are still there, and say "coming soon" or "updated soon".  Sounds like they may just search for another article from some other unsuspecting writer.  Or maybe they'll just post mine again when they think I'm no longer looking. 

I'm really disappointed hostgator did not shut down the site since everything is stollen.  They don't look to be monetized. Would it do any good to email Google?  Maybe get all their articles de-indexed.

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would have done that first.

File a DMCA with Google, whether they have ads or not, and Google will de-index them.

I guess it's the military chain of command mentality.  Old habits die hard.  big_smile

I wonder how many of the hubbers that keystrokes listed have filed complaints? The more the better as the hosting company and google will get fed up with so many DMCA's and take stronger action.

Once the article is removed it will be difficult to file a dmca with google as they won't be able to see the content, unless you can give them a cached link maybe?

1. K9keystrokes profile image82

+1

I wondered about this too.  Site seems to be removing articles for which they received complaints.  So I guess no one has yet had the "eureka" that all the articles are copied (though I specifically said this to the host).

I'm thinking about going down K9's list and contacting the hubbers that I have not already contacted, and those that have not popped into this thread.

14. rmcrayne profile image90

Just found this in my junk email folder.  Seems like a threat of sorts.

I found out the topic which you are discussing here.
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/91614
    And the content material which you informed us was removed from our website.
    Also i sent an e-mail to hostgator and all our editors not to copy any content from hubpages or other websites in anyway.
    And you are still complaining and you wrote you will go to also google DMCA.
    You can't make anything with that because you informed us and we removed the content.
    But against our good willing about removing the content if you will insist on this subject and blackmail us by sending complaint to google, you must know google only complaint pages, not whole website.
    And if you will do that also we will loose our good willing, move the hosting and domain out of the US. as you can see we are not running ads or gathering profit from that website.
    Also we have special network tools to post content to hundred thousands of websites as forums, blogs, comments, portals, arcitle databases even guest books.
    if we will see that google remove any of our pages because of dmca complaint, that content can be seen in more than hundred thousands of domains with different owners different hosting companies in one week.
    it will be bigger job to post dmca reports to all of them.
    Send links of the content which you want us to be removed with email.
    Also you named crazy response of one of our kind editor's mail.
    But i'm the owner of the website and i am different. I'm only a mirror, you can see on me what you have shown to me.
    Also i sent more kind and formal e-mail to Ms/Mrs Holle Abee because she sent an e-mail to us directly and asked politely.
    After all i apologize for the situation which we didn't want to be part of. We have this situation because of one single editor from india who work on newhealthtips.com. And he's banned from all our websites and newhealthtips.com and no new content will be copied from any other pages or websites.
    I will not discuss anything about this topic, you can send your copyrighted links to this e-mail and i will personally take care of them, or keep on opening ticket to hostgator or google.
    This website is not very important for us, as you can see it hasn't got any advertisements neither valued traffic and commercial value for us.
    We can even close the website today but if you will are planing to start a war against us also we are ready to move the website and make our counter actions.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)