Weekly Topic Inspiration: Fascinating Business Histories

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (64 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 12 years ago

Hey there, Hubbers! Since we’re on the cusp of Black History Month (unless you’re in the UK wink), AEvans suggested we go for a historical theme this week. I chose business as a theme, since it’s likely to earn you a bit more money on the side, and nearly every fascinating historical event, figure, and movement is tied to the business world in some way or another.

I did some keyword research on historical business Hub titles (both related to Black History Month and not) and shared them below, so if you’d like to give your Hub a good shot at getting traffic, consider taking one of these for a spin- AND creating a Hub that meets the criteria we’ve outlined in our latest Learning Center guide.

Search-Friendly Titles (Already Keyword Researched!)
    How the Civil Rights Movement Changed Racism in the Workplace
    Famous Black People who Made it Big in Business
    Impressive Entrepreneurs: Famous Women in History Who Made it Big
    Black History People: Famous Black Entrepreneurs
    Famous Black Women Entrepreneurs
    Famous Black Americans Who Changed the Business World
    How Civil Rights People Influenced Equality and Diversity in the Workplace
    Important Women in History Who Changed Business Forever
    Black Heroes of the Busines World
    Famous Black People in History Whose Work Changed the World
    The History of Business from a Black Perspective
    Three Major Turning Points in the History of Business
    Big Moments in Business History from a Female Perspective
    Major Milestones in Business History
    The Historical Rise of the Woman Entrepreneur
    Famous Black Female Entrepreneurs
    A History of Racial Discrimination in the Business World
    The Historical Battles Behind Equal Opportunity in the Business World
    A History of Racism in the Workplace
    What is Equality and Diversity? A History of Changing Work Environments

If you'd like to join in on this week's topic by writing a Hub, follow these steps:

1)    Click here to visit this week's topic.
    2)    Click the green button "answer this question".
    3)    Click the gray button below the box (leave that empty) that says "make a Hub about it."
    4)    Give your Hub a very specific title, like Easy Summer Gardening Projects for Kids or Challenging Summer Activities for Teens
    5)    Create good quality original content that hasn't been covered before.
    6)    After you publish your Weekly Topic Inspiration Hub, come back to this forum thread and post a link to your Hub with a brief description of what you wrote about and why.

For more information on the Weekly Topic Inspiration program, check out the Learning Center guide.

I’m looking forward to reading your various historical Hubs!

1. VeronicaFarkas profile image68
      VeronicaFarkasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is one is definitely going to be a challenge. I cannot wait to give it a try, and see what other people come up with! =] Great idea, AEvans!

2. sholland10 profile image85
      sholland10posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Everyone!  I finally finished my hub on Lucille Ball.  She was a trail blazer for women. smile    http://sholland10.hubpages.com/hub/Impo … cille-Ball

2. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 12 years ago

Can't wait to read some fascinating Hubs this week!  Great topic choice, AEvans!

3. K9keystrokes profile image84
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

Awesome topic, AEvans! I may just have to hop on board this one! Looking forward to reading all the great stuff to come. Thanks for the keyword search Simone, as always, you rock! cool
    Cheers~

1. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have to cooking on my account. Lololo! I will have one of them up tonight. smile

4. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

I am writing two so far. They are now saved and unpublished. Will have them complete in the next two days. smile

Simone Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Awesome! Can't wait to read 'em big_smile

1. Cardisa profile image86
        Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Simone, does the hub have to be business related? Could I write on a famous person who contributed to the freedom of slavery in my country?

Good question. I don't see why you could not. smile

2. Simone Smith profile image87

Hey Cardisa! If you don't include information on how that person influenced business (e.g. the business of slavery, trade) or how that person affected employment, it would not be properly categorized under the business history topic. You're welcome to do that, but be sure to re-categorize the Hub so it isn't moderated as deceptively categorized big_smile

5. Cardisa profile image86
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

Hey guys, how about something specific to my own country? I have no idea what to write. I hate have having to write some I no nothing about and for me that's history!

How about Women's Rights' in Jamaica? Or Jamaican Entrepreneurs who made it in the United States? smile

2. Loi-Renee profile image70
      Loi-Reneeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There are many Jamaican women who have made it in business all over the world. I'm working on one and should have it completed by tomorrow.

3. Simone Smith profile image87

Yeah, Cardisa! AEvans an Loi-Renee are right on. I'd love to read about those people! Who was really influential in Jamaica's history when it came to building a local economy?

6. kannanwrites profile image92
    kannanwritesposted 12 years ago

I'll pen one for this.

Hurrah!!

7. dipless profile image68
    diplessposted 12 years ago

Well I was going to write about thee points in history which affected business but the slave trade just kind of took over during my research so here is my hub for this weeks WTI: The effect of the Slave trade on business

http://dipless.hubpages.com/hub/Three-M … f-Business

I can see how that might happen- unfortunately the slave trade played a huge role in much of history's business! Bleh. But thanks for the cool exploration of the issue!

1. dipless profile image68
        diplessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

indeed there was just so much information, however as it is 207 words off the magical 1500, I may extend it to include the others. I will decide later big_smile I guess when you take a population out of there country and force them into labour, it is inevitable you are going to change global economies and therefore business,  thanks for the comments.

2. Lord De Cross profile image68
        Lord De Crossposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is our latest entry..and we couldn't wait to share it:
        http://lorddecross.hubpages.com/hub/Fro … The-Legend

2. K9keystrokes profile image84
      K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

WOW,  that is a ton of information. Amazing to what lengths inhumane humans will go too, just to place coin in their pockets...(gagging just a bit).

Thank you, indeed it is, it is very sad the lengths some will go too.

8. dipless profile image68

I've written a second one this topic has kind of inspired me to write big_smile

http://dipless.hubpages.com/hub/Famous- … repreneurs

This is about the difficulties faced by black-owned businesses and the inspirational black women entrepreneurs.

I love all the stats you've included! And yikes- it's terrible to read that discrimination is still somewhat of a barrier. But the successful women you presented are indeed inspirational!

Yeah they can make some sobering reading, I know the discrimination from institutions such as banks was a shock to me too, I am going to do some research and see if it is the same in the UK although the stats are harder to find because we have so many sole traders. They are indeed especially C.J. Walker was a nice find on my research and she tied in with my slave hub too so win win.

Awesome that the largest growth in business has been among black business women. This is a really informative hub dipless. Madam Walker is one amazing woman!

I know this is great especially considering how it was previous to this. she really is.

9. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 12 years ago

Thanks for posting nice topic.

1. Lord De Cross profile image68

Is fictional but tries to cover 3 females that became famous
        LORD

I quite enjoyed it!!

Thanks Simone! this is our second entry and came within the hour!
            http://lorddecross.hubpages.com/hub/Fam … elius?done

2. Lord De Cross profile image68

Here is our third entry Simone, thanks Aevans for the topic!
            http://lorddecross.hubpages.com/hub/Fam … nt-7412065

Daaaang LORD, you're on a roll! These are fab!

Lol! Thanks Simone! You are so funny! Where is sister AE?

Niiiiice! Both pieces are really well done,  lord. Thanks for sharing your moving works with us.

Thanks to you K9!!

3. dipless profile image68

Really enjoyed it smile

10. Loi-Renee profile image70
    Loi-Reneeposted 12 years ago

Hi Simone, I don't usually participate in the WTI but this topic caught my eye. My hub is about a Jamaican poet, writer, and storyteller who used her country's unique and colorful language to entertain and teach people all over the world. I hope you enjoy it. smile  http://hubpages.com/t/2d3543

I'm really glad you've joined in this week, Loi-Renee! Louise Bennett-Coverley is so awesome! I enjoyed your Hub very much indeed- it's very well put-together! Great use of the Table Capsule, and I'm glad you included that cool video, too big_smile

1. Loi-Renee profile image70
        Loi-Reneeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Simone. I'll definitely be looking out for more topic inspirations.
        I'm glad you enjoyed it. smile

11. angela p profile image69
    angela pposted 12 years ago

I decided to write on one of my inspirations.  Gloria Mayfield Banks.  She is a Famous Black Female Entrepreneur in the World of Mary Kay and beyond.  I would like to introduce you to Gloria.
    http://angelap.hubpages.com/hub/Famous- … ield-Banks

Way cool! Gloria Mayfield Banks rocks!

12. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

I am right here. Here is my first hub and the second will be here later.

http://aevans.hubpages.com/hub/FamousBl … repreneurs

There are some really inspirational people in there, funny that we picked two of the same smile Never heard of Maggie Lena Walker so was nice to find out a bit more, thank you for this.

I really enjoyed reading this hub.

3. Simone Smith profile image87

I quite enjoyed it, too! It's cool to see how the achievements started out relatively small... and how more of your modern examples have seen HUGE, international success!

13. dfuntanar profile image60
    dfuntanarposted 12 years ago

Thanks for the inspiring topic. ^^  After giving it a day, all I could think of was this guy, so I wrote a hub about him. Hope I could stay inspired to write on upcoming topics ^^

http://dfuntanar.hubpages.com/hub/Famou … is-Gardner

This was great! I hadn't really known much of anything about Christopher Gardner aside from the fact that he worked hard and found success. Thanks for the detail!

14. Melovy profile image95
    Melovyposted 12 years ago

Simone, I just want to check, since this topic is tied with Black history month - does the hub have to be specifically about black people in business? I have been working on an idea that is not directly about specific black business people but it covers the fair trade movement. Will this be okay?

1. cardelean profile image87
      cardeleanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think you're good Melvoy.  It says related to Black History month and some not.

1. Melovy profile image95
        Melovyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Cardelean, I have eventually done a hub!

15. donnaisabella profile image72
    donnaisabellaposted 12 years ago

I had so much fun and found great joy in writing about one my favorite women, Madame C J Walker, whom I discovered by accident almost a decade ago when I was looking for someone to inspire me. Thanks for the opportunity!

http://donnaisabella.hubpages.com/hub/F … -Breedlove

This is a great history of her! What a lady. I has been so much fun learning about her this week!

16. thebookmom profile image67
    thebookmomposted 12 years ago

Here is my contribution, Madame C.J. Walker.  How to introduce and teach her story so that kids (and grown-ups) can be inspired by both her remarkable business story and her amazing character.  http://thebookmom.hubpages.com/hub/madamecjwalker

Yay!! I love the lesson you've made.

17. dipless profile image68

Wow madame CJ Walker is popular, I only found out about herin my recent research for my articles and she really is an inspirational women. Thank you both for sharing your detailed information about her smile Well written and informative.

1. donnaisabella profile image72
      donnaisabellaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you!

18. kannanwrites profile image92
    kannanwritesposted 12 years ago

My last minute submission.

Indian Entrepreneurs : 10 Greatest Businessman From History

http://kannanwrites.hubpages.com/hub/In … om-History

It is related to businessman from India.

A neat overview, kannanwrites! It was nice to read about some influential businessmen I'd not yet heard of big_smile

19. Melovy profile image95
    Melovyposted 12 years ago

I’m running pretty late, but this was not a natural topic for me to write about! Not sure it’s my best hub ever, but I am determined to do the WTI every week - for now at least!
    http://melovy.hubpages.com/hub/Anita-Ro … ess-Ethics

Oh, this is fabulous! I learned so much from your Hub- I didn't realize that  such an amazing woman was behind The Body Shop!

20. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 12 years ago

Hey everyone! The new topic is up! I'm challenging you to share your best vacation ideas big_smile
    Stop by the thread and say hello!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)