What is your favorite movie of all time, and why?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (36 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Emer420posted 12 years ago

Please give specific details of why the film is your favorite, and explain it's importance in your everyday life.

1. mio cid profile image60
      mio cidposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My favorite movie of all time hasn't been made yet it's The Sopranos ,the movie.

1. profile image0
        Emer420posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I haven't watched much of the show myself, but what I have seen it is a very intense, well written show.  If a movie is made I would love to see it.

2. Shinkicker profile image54
      Shinkickerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Platoon. Just superb story-telling and great acting from the cast, many of whom went on to become real stars. Oliver Stone really wrenched the emotions and built the tension between the characters.

1. profile image0

I have actually never seen it.  I will have to check it out.  You make it sound really really good.

3. Chinadolly profile image61
      Chinadollyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

One of my favourite is, The Talented Mr Ripley with a great cast: Matt Damon, Gwenth Paltrow and Jude Law. I love the bohemian lifestyle, the decadence,                the indulgence, the love story, the tragedy ...everything. The train scene slipping into the jazz scene with the beat on the symbols is still memorable.

2. girlgonestrong profile image60
    girlgonestrongposted 12 years ago

It used to be Disney's Sleeping Beauty but now it's definitively Tangled.

I know that sounds kinda silly, but I like movies with happy endings and make you feel good.

1. profile image0

I actually watched Tangled the other day.  I am very picky when it comes to animated films, however, I absolutely loved that one.  I almost cried when her hair got cut off.

3. Shanna11 profile image74
    Shanna11posted 12 years ago

Mean Girls. It has changed my life. Instead of the usual hum-drum conversation I used to partake of, my life has now been revamped in the most scintillating way possible. I spew forth great nuggets of wisdom, wrapped in the silken cloth of a Mean Girls quote.

Actually, now that I think about it, it really is a stupid movie.

1. profile image0

haha.  It is somewhat of a stupid movie, but it is really enjoyable at the same time.  smile

1. profile image35
        independentmindedposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with that, Emer420.

4. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

Fightclub and Pursuit of Happyness. I'm a sci-fi and horror movie lover but these two movies which I saw randomly, literally kicked my mind.

1. profile image0

Fightclub is actually one of my favorite movies of all time, because it tells one of the most intense stories I have ever come across.  Pursuit of Happiness is one of those movies that I could watch a million times.  It always gives me a sense of hope that things will always work out no matter how bad they get.

5. GDiBiase profile image67
    GDiBiaseposted 12 years ago

My favorite movie My Fair Lady, it depicts that with hard work and determination anyone can be who or what they want to be. For an animated movie I love Enchanted, I love how it mixes animation with real live actors. Once in NY, Giselle's innocence is so humorous.

1. profile image0

My Fair lady was a really good film.  I enjoyed it.  I couldn't help but fall in love with Enchanted.  It was so funny.  Good choices..smile

6. innersmiff profile image67
    innersmiffposted 12 years ago

Today, my favourite film is Vertigo. Heart-wrenching and mysterious, there isn't really another movie that exudes 'cinema' as much as this one.

1. profile image0

Amazing choice.  Hitchcock is at the top of my list of great film makers.  Classic and timeless.  They just don't make movies like they used to.

7. sarcasticool profile image72
    sarcasticoolposted 12 years ago

I love the film "Falling Down"

Michael Douglas is a brilliant actor, especially in this, his expressions and dialogue make the film so good. Okay the story line doesn't try to be overly artistic or complicated, but what I like about it is the way a man can as the title suggests "fall down" and the decline is gradual, but as we learn, it had happened long before we even meet the character Douglas portrays when he gets out of his car in the middle of a busy "road-blocked" motorway and just walks off on his 'break down' .

In this film Douglas goes on a spree of what would you call it, "a retribution against the little annoyances in life", and does what we would probably do if we ignored the law or wished we could do and just did what we wanted. Dealing to the injustices of being denied breakfast for being a few seconds late on the menu at "Wammy Burgers" and comparing the burgers to the size of those displayed on the photo boards etc. being harassed by a gang and fighting back,  putting a neo-nazi in his place and confronting road workers for digging up the roads that were fine the day before to justify their over inflated budgets, challenging the over-priced supply store owner and so on, all on his way to his daughters birthday and even though you can see he is mentally declining in his ability to function normally, you can kind of feel sorry for him.There is a kind of on-going irony to the film that makes me really like it.

Other favourites include:  "Meet Joe Black",  "Kick-Ass", "Donnie Darko" and of course "Pulp Fiction".

8. innersmiff profile image67
    innersmiffposted 12 years ago

I propose that we create an official 'HubPages Top 50 Films', compiling users Top 10 lists. Whichever film gets the most consistently high score wins!

There are some interesting choices on here already.

1. profile image0

I can agree to that.  Sounds like an awesome idea.  smile

1. innersmiff profile image67
        innersmiffposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You think you can edit this thread?

i.e. have the title 'HubPages Favourite 50 Movies'
        and then 'Post your 10 favourite movies and why you believe they are the best, and we will compile them into a big list, and a series of Hubs'

Or I could do it. lol

1. profile image0

Should it be a thread in the forums or should I post it as a hub?

1. innersmiff profile image67
            innersmiffposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Make the thread, or edit this one.

Each user posts their top 10.
            Number 1 gets 10 points, Number 2 gets 9 points etc.

I will compile the scores on Excel, since I've done this kind of thing before. Obviously, the films with the most points go higher on the list.

A hub will be created for 50 - 41, and another for 40 - 31 etc., with comments from the users about each film. One user can create one Hub, so as to share the Hub scores and revenues.

(Alternative idea: in order to make the list ongoing, make it as an ongoing thread, in which the list is constantly updated the more users post. Keep bumping the thread to get more users to post their favourite films, so as to get a proper collection of films)

I'm open to suggestions.

1. profile image0

Sounds good.  Why don't you go ahead and start the thread and somehow let me know when you do.  It's going to take me a day or two to compile my top 10 movies of all time. smile

9. profile image0
    timmathisenposted 12 years ago

David Lynch's Lost Highway is one of my favorites.

This movie has a plot that resembles a Rubik's cube. Also, Lynch's dramatic use of sound is cool.

10. savanahl profile image67
    savanahlposted 12 years ago

Memoirs of a Geisha. Such a tragic and beautiful love story.

1. profile image0

I agree.  It was a beautiful movie.

11. Billy Hicks profile image81
    Billy Hicksposted 12 years ago

As if it wasn't obvious, St. Elmo's Fire is hands down my favorite movie. The biggest reason I love this film so much is that I can relate to it so well. It's like watching my friends and I when we were all fresh out of college and getting ready to take over the world.

(For those of you who didn't get the "As if it wasn't obvious", Billy Hicks is the name of Rob Lowe's character in the movie)

1. profile image0

I am a huge fan of 80's films.  St. Elmo's Fire is obviously one of the best though.  I am also a big fan of The Breakfast Club and Weird Science.  They make me smile every time.  smile

12. Spawntaneous profile image61
    Spawntaneousposted 12 years ago

I think Vampire's Kiss is one hell of a strangest movie. I personally think that Nicolas Cage acting brought me on a very weird feeling of being human, he delivered the impossible and the unimaginable role i could witness on a certain method of acting. He's just so fearless and amusing that after i watched the movie i can't help getting into his head, figuring out what was he thinking at that moment?

And by the way he ate cockroach on this movie:-) very intriguing.

1. profile image0

Nicolas Cage is one of those actors that seems to never disappoint.  Everything I have seen him in has been worth watching, and his acting talents seem endless.  Vampire's Kiss is one of best though.

13. DonnaCosmato profile image87
    DonnaCosmatoposted 12 years ago

Casablanca is my all-time favorite movie. Bogart is my favorite actor and this was his best work in my opinion. The supporting staff was excellent as well: Ingrid Bergman, Claude Rains, Sydney Greenstreet, Peter Lorre and Dooley Wilson just to mention a few. The storyline of intrigue, romance and political drama is unforgettable. No wonder it is a cinematic classic:)

14. mio cid profile image60
    mio cidposted 12 years ago

I  would have to say the godfather.Almost any situation you can  encounter through life is represented in some way in that masterpiece,and the cast in that movie is the actors hall of fame.

15. rahul0324 profile image78
    rahul0324posted 12 years ago
  16. profile image35
    independentmindedposted 12 years ago

My all time favorite movie is West Side Story. Here's why:

Hey, folks:

Although I'm new on this forum, and am still testing the waters, I finally decided to answer this question after checking it out afew times. Although this is kind of long, I decided that posting about why I love this great movie-musical classic so much was in order. Here goes:

West Side Story not only has a wonderful story behind it, but the cinematic technology, the dancing, the brilliant Bernstein musical score, and the talent that was brought to the film(except Richard Beymer, of course), all helped make West Side Story the wonderfully dynamic and great package that it really is.

The story of the love between a guy and a gal from two very different backgrounds, which grows amid the conflict between two warring street gangs i. e. the Jets and Sharks, while the adults in authority watch as they rebel, is a wonderful story in itself, which has always appealed to me.

The beautiful musical score by Bernstein is so bright and exuberant, and wonderful to listen to, even when one's not watching the movie or seeing a stage play of WSS.

The dancing is so magnificent. The fighting scenes are especially alive, as are the Cool, Dance at the Gym, and the America scenes. The Quintet and the Rumble are also great scenes. The idea that emotions can be expressed so vividly through dance and music is another reason for WSS's appeal to me.

The photography, which is so rich, and t he costumes are terrific also, with rich color and glory, and the sets on which most of WSS was filmed look uncannily like the real thing!(meaning the urban background and city streets and alleys, etc)

Another reason that I love the film WSS as much as I do is because of the fact that WSS is also proof that, at least back then, that there didn't have to be such graphic scenes and scenes of excessive gore and violence that seem to pervade many, if not most of TODAY'S movies. It's also reminiscent of the time when movies had much more of a plot, a story, and, much more style and substance. This is not to say that there are no good movies beings put out today, but, unfortunately, good films these days are fewer and far between, in my opinion.

West Side Story is also in a class by itself, because, with relatively rare exceptions, it's the only musical that was successful on both stage and screen. There are several reasons for this, I think:

A) The fact that when West Side Story was transferred from stage to screen, most of it was filmed on a gigantic soundstage with fantastically-designed sets that looked uncannily like real urban backgrounds, and therefore kept as a piece of theatre in itself.

B) The fact that many, if not most of the actors/actresses who had played in the ORIGINAL Broadway stage productions of WSS had been brought into the film,with some exceptions, of course) therefore the resource of talent was already there. However, I believe that Russ Tamblyn and Rita Moreno, and Simon Oakland were excellent, and Natalie Wood was OK as Maria. The only weak performer, in my opinion, as I've stated above, was Richard Beymer as Tony.

C) The story behind this great movie/musical was also a great resource which contributed greatly to this great movie classic's success.

D) Unlike most musicals when they get transferred from the stage to the screen, West Side Story, perhaps because of all of the above-mentioned factors, especially the stage sets--didn't get washed away in the outdoor scenery in the background the way most musicals, such as Oklahoma, Godspell, South Pacific, and most other movie musicals did.

West Side Story always makes me feel all different emotions whenever I watch the movie: smiling, laughing out loud, misting up, tension, which puts me at the edge of my seat.

Another thing about West Side Story is that there's definitely a strong element of truth to the MGM adage "Unlike other classics, West Side Story grows younger." I believe that's partly because, unlike other older classics, likeable as they are, West Side Story isn't dated--in fact it's as relevant today as it was back when it was made. Although West Side Story is fiction, in many ways it's closer to realilty. Things such as urban gang warfare, racial/ethnic tensions, and people crossing the racial/ethnic/religious barriers to fall in love, date, and even marry are things that get played out in real life, even now. To paraphrase a certain adage: The more things change, the more they stay the same.

As a devout fan of the film West Side Story who has also seen a half dozen really good stage plays of this great musical, I savor this great musical from beginning to end.  With one rare exception back in mid-March 2001, when an afternoon screenng of West Side Story in our area conflicted directly with my (late) dad’s memorial, I have attended every single screening of the film West Side Story in our area, and I've even made road trips to neighboring states for screenings of this great classic. 

pardon my rambling)

17. vinodkunwar profile image61
    vinodkunwarposted 12 years ago

My all time favorite movie is '3 iditos' because it directed upon college life which I do miss.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)