underground bunker

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Captain Redbeard profile image60
    Captain Redbeardposted 12 years ago

What would be the best way to have energy in an underground bunker that is cut off from the surface? My friend and I have been goofing around about an apocalyptic situation. The only thing we can't figure out is how we would have energy in the bunker. Water storage we can do, food storage but if we were running lights and such with car batteries sooner or later they would die and we would be stuck in the dark. So anyone have anythoughts on a self sustaning generator?

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Being cut off from the surface eliminates most options. You will have to go nuclear. You'll find what you need on the Russian Craigslist.

Captain Redbeardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

agua is right. If you'll are stuck in an underground bunker you'll will need exercise. So the cycle thing will be perfect. Also try hamsters smile Take plenty of hamster food as well.

3. couturepopcafe profile image59
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Isn't there a way to charge a battery or generator with a crank?

Sure, I have three wind up flash lights and two wind up radios. They are pretty neat actually.

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Something connected by wire to above ground. Some kind of water or wind turbine or solar.

The idea was based on say something happening to where we were stuck underground for a long period of time. So if we had solar panels up above ground, they would have to be some heavy duty stuff to withstand the elements. Even more, what happens if it's cloudy or it's nuclear winter up there? No sun, no energy.

Wind turbine is cool too but it something breaks and we can't get up there, no energy.

3. aguasilver profile image70
    aguasilverposted 12 years ago

Maybe a bicycle generator to charge the batteries, that way you would get exercise as well as power?

I was thinking that very thing. Have those cycles hooked up to a battery source, exercise and electric all in one!

2. Reality Bytes profile image75
      Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great idea!

1. aguasilver profile image70
        aguasilverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Also remember, when building your bunker, that it should have an emergency entry from your abode, and an escape hatch that surfaces some distance from it.

The entry tunnel should have at least two mantraps built into it, a water trap is always needed, this both causes delay in pursuit and makes it more airtight.

The water trap, when carefully designed, will daunt the casual invader and electrocute the persistent ones.

All bunkers need to be built with the thought in mind that someone will try to invade it, after all you are looking at apocalyptic environment, and someone will have seen you dig a 20 foot deep hole in your property (none the least the spy sats and Google) and build a bunker.

This will naturally lead to folk wondering why you built a large swimming pool and then roofed it in and covered it with earth?

If you want plans or ideas, read Bob Heinlien books, he had some wonderful ideas!

My door to the bunker is a trap door in the closet under the stairs like to a crawl space, only when the door opens it is a ladder 20 feet down to a square room with a steele bolted door. Once in that room there is another ladder dropping down 100 feet into the bunker.

It was a design for like astroid or nuclear fallout situations. More like, civil war has broken out, money means nothing. Government and sociaty has broken down. Or the ever so fun scenario of a Zombie flu outbreak cool

I am a regular on sites like survivalcache.com and survival-spot.com and many others. I love the idea for some reason of modern day sociaty falling apart and starting over.

Ironically, ever since my earliest thoughts I have seen a time when society would break down, and we would be back to square one, with the opportunity to decide what we did with technology this time round.

Would we re invent banks, or chose a barter system where nobody owned the exchange rate or barter 'currency'?

OK, so no bankers!

Would we reinvent lawyers, or rely upon tribal leaders and their council to decide disputes we could not settle between us?

OK, no lawyers either.

Would we set up a government led social security system to take care of those UNABLE to contribute to the work rotas, or would we take care of folk that we appreciated in our 'tribe' and let those who refused to work go their own way?

OK, no organised social security, either be of some value or get out and fend for yourself.

You get the drift.....

Did you ever read The Stand by Stephen King? It's about that, break down of sociaty due to a flu concocted in a government lab that escapes and kills 99.7% of the population. In the end there are only a handful of people left who were immune to the flu and have to start over and they all vote on whether or not they would carry on the "spirit" of America by whether or not they agree with the constitution. It's a good read, I did a review on it in one of my hubs. Well, maybe not so much of a review as what my opinion was on the story. Anyway, i think you might like it!

4. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 12 years ago

I think making some sort of underground pool with a 'current' for a generator is a great idea smile +1 lol

5. Captain Redbeard profile image60

ok, lol i have become too invested into this idea. Been pricing concrete to see how much it would cost. The formula I found on Ehow.com is (LxWxD)/27 if buying in slabs. Is it weird that I am seriously considering this?

6. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 12 years ago

Well, according to this one video regarding a asteroid hittin us tongue it would shave 10 miles off the surface of the planet, we'd hv nuclear winter, oxygen be near gone from the fire, dirt in the air - think we'd need masks of some sort too hmm

I don't think anyone would survive stuff like that unless you are a government and have billions at your disposal to built fortified bunkers a mile deep under a mall or a airport, if you know what I'm talking about good for you.

This is more like, mad max situation. SHTF, have a fortified place of survival. Your own castle so to speak but a secret castle.....underground......with a green house lol

7. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

Solar Panels up top!

Or, you could ask Trog.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6007633_f248.jpg

That's my cousin

8. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

Build your bunker over a natural gas dome, do a little drilling and put in a generator.  Or find natural hot water, using it to provide electricity.

Just as important, if you are going to use very much energy, will you need a cooling system?  Nearly all energy ends up as heat, and earth is a good insulator - how hot will it get?

Good points!! Never thought about temperature control before.......How hot will it get indeed.....Hmmm

Guess we need to learn about heat exchangers as well, then you could run the fridge and aircon units!

Problem solved big_smile

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6124532_f248.jpg

9. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

Most important is your air supply!! You can't just lock out the outside world making your bunker air tight so no radioactive particles slip in or you will just suffocate and die of monoxide poisoning..
    You need power 100% for you air pumps and damn good air filters to keep the crap out..

and as for the zombies.........

The idea behind the bunker isn't for nuclear fallout protection. More of a SHTF situation.

Zombies? Did you ever see Zombieland? Great flick! The scene where Woody Harrislon is in the booth at the amusment park and the Zombies are trying to get to him thru the fence cage......yeah, trying to work out a reasonable way to have a "screen door" at either enterence/exit so if anyone were to breach the bunker we would be able to just mow them down without them being able to get to us...........hmmmm interesting thought. Motion active turrets? cool

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6009615_f248.jpg

10. Captain Redbeard profile image60

HOLY CRAP!!!!

We could power the bunker using methane gas from the waste disposal of the toliets if their were enough people in the bunker!

Or you could pipe it from your cesspit, that would produce gas for a long enough time!

No that ball is rolling aye? Just remember me when SHTF, I'll have a bunker able to fit up to 25 people.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)