European Hubbers - How are you coping with the big freeze?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (19 posts)
  1. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 12 years ago

-4 in Majorca, first snow for 26 years in Rome, and as typical Heathrow cancel flights 9 hours before a single flake falls, even though they are having no problem at Munich airport where it is currently -27.  Wrong type of snow on the runways?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … falls.html

1. CyclingFitness profile image88
      CyclingFitnessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well Nottingham seems to have escaped the brunt of most of the snow but it's cancelled my trip into the Peak District tomorrow unfortunately

We Brits seem incapable of dealing with a small amount of cool weather which would  hardly touch many a european ski resort!

Spare a thought for thos eout in Eastern European who are sub 20 degree temperatures

2. Polly C profile image90
    Polly Cposted 12 years ago

Well, we just can't deal with snow even for just a couple of days a year, can we?! I expect half the schools will be shut on Monday...

I'm looking forward to tomorrow though, will be able to dust off the sledge and take the kids to the park. It will always be a novelty for them since snow is so infrequent and there is rarely enough to actually play in!

3. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

Last year schools were shut for a week and the two mountain roads out of the valley were also closed for a week because Rhondda Cynaf Taf council had run out of salt.

Wonder what this year will bring, although the snow seems to be melting a bit at the moment.

4. Polly C profile image90
    Polly Cposted 12 years ago

It's been snowing here for the last few hours, we are supposed to get the brunt of it tonight, over on the east. It's the first we've had so far, don't think it will melt, it's too cold!

5. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I went out to the village the other day and it was actually snowing, but not lying, although it was on the nearby mountains.
    I am freezing right now inside my house. Winter came late, but it came with a bang.
    Last winter was really bad, and I treated myself to thick pyjamas and dressing gown, and fur boots. Got them all on right now (its 2am), but I'm still freezing. It's probably warmer out in the street than it is here!
    Trouble with my house is that it is built for summer heat of 30 degrees C and above. It is not designed for living in, in winter. Its draughty and poorly insulated. I spent the evening in the kitchen, cooking tomorrow's dinner, just for a heat! But no its not in the minus temperatures like they have in Eastern Europe, but in a house without heating, its pretty unbearable.

6. elle64 profile image84
    elle64posted 12 years ago

Minus 14 here in Denmark at the moment. Ice and snow everywhere.The kids love it-and it is very pretty here, where i live.

7. thooghun profile image95
    thooghunposted 12 years ago

I've been snowboarding in Rome! It's been so fun.

8. CMHypno profile image83

Well there's a couple of inches of the white stuff here in Hertfordshire this morning - probably means no buses or trains LOL!  But it is very pretty and will go to the park to take photos.

Compared to Eastern Europe we have gotten off very lightly - the pictures of the frozen sea are amazing, but hundreds of people have died of cold.

9. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 12 years ago

We've got several inches of snow here in our corner of East Kent, which is quite unusual. Not going anywhere today LOL.

Last week we spent two days without central heating because our old boiler died - looks as though we got it replaced just in time.

10. Rain Defence profile image78
    Rain Defenceposted 12 years ago

By sliding in the snow and having snowballs fights of course. I can't work monday now, but as I'm self employed it's not the end of the world, the only boss I have to make the excuse about not being able to work to is myself and I've already accepted my reasons!

11. JKenny profile image89
    JKennyposted 12 years ago

It snowed for several hours last night in Birmingham, we ended up with about five inches. But today it's already starting to melt, its turned all slushy. Yuk.

12. CMHypno profile image83

Looks like there are no signs that the big freeze is letting up in Europe

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … S-40C.html

13. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

Snow disappearing fast in the Rhondda.

14. CASE1WORKER profile image61
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

It's nearly all gone here and we were digging in for the winter- thank goodness we have not sufferred like other parts

1. Druid Dude profile image61
      Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You'll all be pleased as punch to know that, over nearly the entire U.S. the weather has been nearly a non-issue. Winter on the Oregon coast is almost over. Best one I've ever seen. Other places across the country are having the same experience. I think we're in deep doo-doo!

1. CMHypno profile image83
        CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I thought that they had just had a huge snowstorm in Colorado?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … homes.html

It's currently -3 here in Herts, which isn't a shocker because it is winter and the next snow is forecast for Saturday apparently.  Heathrow shutting down for half-term holidays probably.

1. Druid Dude profile image61
          Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

For them...that's a perfect weather pattern. Problem is total snowfall. I'm sure you would find that they are below normal. The rivers and streams are running at spring levels here...two months early. Saw a bumble bee today...robins never left. Crabbing boats have had their nicest winter ever, but the take in crab is dismal.

15. AfricaResource profile image59
    AfricaResourceposted 12 years ago

The weather has improved in the UK however there are still road issues due to the freezing conditions and Heathrow airport has only begun to operate at full capacity again! The rest of Europe appears to be much worse off!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)