Did Obama play the republicans like a fiddle ?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (29 posts)
  1. mio cid profile image59
    mio cidposted 12 years ago

Did Obama play the republicans like a fiddle on the catholic church contraceptive controversy?

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

He plays anyone he can.  Fiddling while America burns.  Such are his actions and such is his legacy.   I would've thought Republicans would've called his bluff long before now.

2. Repairguy47 profile image59
      Repairguy47posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lets see, he tried to mandate something he shouldn't have and reversed himself when it became clear. Yep, played the republicans just like a fiddle...roll

1. Nouveau Skeptic profile image62
        Nouveau Skepticposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Half-reversed, it's called a compromise.

2. profile image0

I can't figure out how and why his "mandates" are even taken seriously anyway.  He's not a king, he's not a Congressman or Senator, therefore not even a Legislator at all.  Yet the "healthcare bill" is considered his baby?  He's making laws and breaking laws all over, and no one calls him on it?!  This I don't get.  So it's not just Republicans he's playing, it's everyone, including citizens.  While we sit idly by as he wrests all power from our hands.

3. mio cid profile image59
        mio cidposted 12 years agoin reply to this

the right wing nut talking heads were so mad they couldn't even speak today it was cruel of him to have them believe they had him on the ropes on this issue and then he did the rope-a-dope and knocked them out.pulled the rug from under them.pretty enjoyable moment.

1. profile image0

did he dance like a butterfly and sting like a bee, too?
          And if so, then, you think the Democrats are actually proud of him for his "rope-a-dope" carp?  Are they happy being pawns of his?  Are they happy seeing their homeland burn while he pulls their strings too?  Or is it just that they're already blinded by his one-two punches in the first place?

2. Jean Bakula profile image92
          Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I thought so too, mio cid. I knew he would revise the health care bill when it became apparent it was interfering in people's religious beliefs. I think he is trying to do what's best for as many as he can. The R's are determined to block anything he does, it doesn't matter if he had solutions to every American problem tomorrow, they would block it. And Rick Santorum doesn't even want birth control to be available to anyone. He would set the country back 50 years. The R's are making such fools of themselves, the party is a laughing stock.

it was a relief to see this issue off the table ,as the republicans are grasping at straws, without any relevant issues available to them , we sure don't need to be giving them any to rescue them from their mediocrity.

2. profile image0

Eh, from what I've read, Santorum simply doesn't want the government to pay for contraceptives.
            Really, who would you want to make pay for your personal contraceptives?  (I'm not asking for a direct personal answer, just sayin' that the issue really is that simple!)

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
              Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Brenda,
              I don't disagree about the contraceptives, organizations such as Catholic hospitals or places who don't believe in practicing birth control have the right to their belief, and Obama had to correct this error in thinking. I just find Santorum scary. I read about how his wife and he lost their last child at birth, and it was a choice between his wife and the child. It came down to the poor baby dying anyway. But later on, his wife said, "I must have been out of my mind to tell them to save the child, I had three children at home. Who would have taken care of them?" I'm sure in such an emotional and scary time all kinds of stuff goes thru your mind. But he seemed fine just handing out a death sentence to his wife, who had other children. I think it's cold. I am sorry for the loss, but don't want such extreme views to become law either.

1. profile image0

Not having read the book, I can't rightly comment specifically on that.
                Because it does seem to have been an unusual incident.

I believe Santorum is an honest  and decent man, but politically he is the most extremist of the four men standing specially in social issues not so much in economic issues. he would for sure scare all moderates and independents.

1. lovemychris profile image74
                    lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think he's honest or decent at all. He's another creep with a capital c, IMO. Do you know, he was one of Delays Boys on K street?

Do you know, Delay gave tax money to a friend of his to start a factory on Marianis Island where they FORCED females to have abortions if they got pregnant?..couldn't slow down the out-put you know.

Total hypocrit and creep--was voted one of the most corrupt in Congress by a group..can't think of their name.

He is the LAST person I want making my decisions for me....which is what he's all about. "Do as I say, not as I do".

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59
                MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I dislike the man intensely, but I gave him a pass on this one.  You don't know what conversations go on between a married couple. I have SPECIFICALLY told my husband during my pregnancies that if it comes down to between me and one of the children he is to choose the child.

I agree with your comment, there are extreme situations to which no one can know how he'll react until it happens and everybody's reaction can be different not only of others but even of how one usually is.

2. recommend1 profile image59
                  recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Interesting choice.  If you have kids at home and a husband and family that need you then how is an unborn baby more important in any respect in this kind of choice?

And I am asking simply because I cannot understand how it is logical or responsible to make that choice.

because if you are a parent you are willing to give your life for you child, i'm not saying I agree with that choice but it is plausible any parent would do that. you will say, but what about the other three children you have at home? aren't you thinking about them?well, let's suppose you are at the bank and there's a robbery going on  you have two children at home and one with you if they were going to shoot your son wouldnt you jump in front and take the bullet?

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59
                    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

On a personal front, I've lost a child and I couldn't live through losing another one.  I would be worthless mentally anyway.  I would happily give my life to protect any of my older children, so why not the baby?

Otherwise, my children have their father, four grandmothers, siblings, aunts and uncles, godparents and a very very rich family support group.  I'm important but not strictly necessary.  The baby has one life.

4. lovemychris profile image74
        lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hmmmm,it was mandated under Bush, and I don't remember anyone complaining then...

In fact, 2 of Bushs's girlfriends had abortions.  Far as I know--none of Obama's did.

3. Evan G Rogers profile image61
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

... no? Threatening the 1st amendment made me hate him more.

4. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes.

He has been beating them like a drum for months.

Republicans continue to find themselves on the wrong side of every major issue.  Count on them to blame the upcoming shellacking at the polls on the "mainstream media".

2. jaadynstar profile image58
    jaadynstarposted 12 years ago

i love a rich hansome guy will it be u

3. Xenonlit profile image60
    Xenonlitposted 12 years ago

It is amazing how the Republicans keep taking swings at their enemies, miss and end up knocking themselves out.

Now they are whining about the bruise that they gave themselves. The vast majority of Americans are sick of the lies, more lies and lying lies that Republicans have been telling.

They started that birth control scheme last year and it has backfired on them. What do they do? They throw out more lies and behave in an even more silly fashion.

They got what they deserved and that is that.

4. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

A good review of the so-called Romneycare in Mass,

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/02 … n-progress

5. mio cid profile image59
    mio cidposted 12 years ago

great link,and now that cpac granted him forgiveness for it he won't back down from it as much as he needs to and that will enrage the teapartiers.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)