A Self-promotion forum for book and e-book authors

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (38 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 12 years ago

With the growing number of Hubbers that have published or self-published a book, an e-book, or other literary works, why not give them a self-promotion forum. Allow them to post relevant links there, for the benefit of authors and readers. Also, let them describe their works and authorship, link to book reviews etc.

With such a forum, it will also be easier to keep promotional links off other discussions about writing and literature.

This thread is for discussion of a suggested new feature. Please DO NOT post your promotional links here.

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would support this idea. Should probably not go under forums, right? It would be a separate feature like an author's promo platform and should be without comment areas. The author could get maybe 400 words to say anything - similar to a profile page maybe with one picture allowed.

Just links to authorsites, author's 'book available at' sites, etc. Picture size should be limited so cover files don't take up a lot of room, keeping it uniform. One cover file per book.

Maybe 400 or so words of description but no lengthy excerpts, just links to excerpts allowed.  Maybe limit links to 4? If an author has more than that they would need to link through one of the 4 allowed links. So an author could link to there hubpage profile, their author site or blog, their publisher's site and one other.

2. profile image0
    The Writers Dogposted 12 years ago

Hi WSE. As a Hubber a few months away from self publishing her first book, I think it would be a great idea! cool

3. Tara Anderton profile image59
    Tara Andertonposted 12 years ago

I think it is an excellent idea!

4. readytoescape profile image61
    readytoescapeposted 12 years ago

Kudos WSE, let see if this goes anywhere..

5. Don Bobbitt profile image85
    Don Bobbittposted 12 years ago

I like it.  Everybody wants my money to promote what I have published.
    I have three simple books on Amazon and I get light sales for one and only occasional sales on the other two
    .I'm in!

6. DonnaCSmith profile image81
    DonnaCSmithposted 12 years ago

I'm in, just look at my profile where you can also find my website link

7. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

Hi WE, I like the idea. I hope HP does too!

8. profile image0

Thanks everyone, for voicing your support for this proposal. Hopefully, others will agree. If it happened, such a new forum would really make things interesting.

9. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

Good luck with the idea, WE!  smile

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

10. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

What a good idea smile

It might help us to reduce the disgusting effects that we directly suffer from as a result of article thieves stealing our work from here and publishing it in E-Books etc. under their own names and payment terms! sad

Why on that basis alone would it not be embraced? yikes

Excellent point, Pd. Especially considering the fact that Congress is about to pass a law that says the owner of a patent is first to file not first to create. Copyright law changes won't be far behind. So actually publishing dates, with real front matter, will go a long way to proving first to create and publish.

11. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 12 years ago

I think this is a really great idea. I am sure there are a lot of Hubbers who have also published books in addition to their online writing.

If HubPages feels inclined to go with this idea, I would suggest creating
    a new feature where we can list our books with an Amazon link, and others can add reviews. This would be a win-win for both the authors and for HubPages, because the earnings would work with 60/40 split we already have. After all, HP is providing the platform.

1. Don Bobbitt profile image85
      Don Bobbittposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Glen, Great idea to provide us with a published book box, and even though I presently use the Amazon link, one that doesn't count as "Self Promotion" or "too many ads", A link that would allow us to have our books available to our fellow Hub writers as you mentioned, would be great.
      The biggest problem with having a book published, is not the writing or even the publishing, but the marketing.
      I would even propose that there be a section in our profile for us to use for our books.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
        Glenn Stokposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don, You can mention your book in your HP profile now. I don't see anything against that in the terms of service. I do it.

2. couturepopcafe profile image59

Glenn - Do you mean if you're published by Amazon, the link would go to Amazon where those who have purchased the author's book have written reviews? Great idea. But let's not limit it to Amazon, of course. I guess that might be one of the links an author could place in their link allowance.

couturepopcafe,

No, I did not mean to limit it to "published by Amazon."  If you have a book published anywhere, Amazon will carry it. I didn't use Amazon for my book but people order it from them.

The interesting thing is that if you use an Amazon capsule to show your book, then you get the HP residuals (for your 60%) in addition to your royalties on the book from your publisher.

1. GmaGoldie profile image81
          GmaGoldieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Glen for us who have never published anything, outside of Amazon what are the top book publishers? I think this forum thread could be richer with a little more information from those who have published a book - such as yourself.

You are talking about a printed published book not just an ebook, a PDF book - right?

GmaGoldie, Yes I am talking about an actual printed paperback book. The point I was trying to make is that Amazon lists all books on the market. So you can have your book published by any publisher and Amazon will list it.

That's why I said you can use an Amazon capsule to place it in your Hubs no matter who is your publisher.

I can't answer your other question about top book publishers since I never researched any others besides Lulu. Although I just recently read a Hub by Leslie A. Panfil about her Self Publishing Success Story using "Author House."

12. profile image0

Thank you all, for such excellent feedback and support. Seems the idea may be even better than I originally imagined. There's much more to this concept than expected.

13. rmcrayne profile image92
    rmcrayneposted 12 years ago

I like the idea because I have not yet written an eBook or print book, but am interested in doing so.  I'd love it if we had a forum for this that allowed links to the works, but also allowed hubbers who have written "how to" hubs on writing and publishing eBooks and print books to post links to their helpful hubs.

14. GmaGoldie profile image81
    GmaGoldieposted 12 years ago

I LOVE this idea. What a wonderful way to celebrate the achievements of our fellow hubbers and set us apart from the blog world.

15. kittyjj profile image68
    kittyjjposted 12 years ago

Great idea!  I am preparing a picture book now.  Hopefully HP will allow us to do that.

16. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Good idea. I'd expand it to also include letting us mention our other websites.

Absolutely.

17. Rebecca E. profile image78
    Rebecca E.posted 12 years ago

This is an excellent idea, and I am sure WE you know what you're doing smile

18. profile image0

I am very appreciative to anyone who has contributed to the discussion. This seems to be a win-win situation for everyone. Readers will certainly gain from it. And people who have something else to promote will be able to publish an e-book about their business and promote that on this new platform.

19. Rik Ravado profile image87
    Rik Ravadoposted 11 years ago

I agree totally and think HubPages would benefit - pity nothing has happened in 12 months!
    I would love to network with fellow Hubbers about ebook authoring - because there is little activity here with regard to ebooks, I've been forced to join forums dedicated to the subject on other sites.

20. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Hubpages doesn't allow promotion of website or other products.  So even though I have a score of ebooks for sale, I see no reason why an exception should be made for ebooks.

Glenn Stokposted 11 years agoin reply to this

psycheskinner, You can promote your own e-book via an Amazon capsule in a hub. Just make sure it relates to the subject of the hub. I published a book that is available as a paperback and as a Kindle  e-book. I have both listed in Amazon capsules and HubPages never complained about promoting it that way. I never found anything in the terms of service stating that method is not allowed.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am talking about the forums (the subject of the discussion in this thread).  Promoting off site material in the forums is considered spamming in most cases.  Which is just as well, because otherwise the forums would be drowning in self-promotion posts.

Glenn Stokposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The reason why it will never be allowed directly in the forums is because HP would not be able to share in the revenue, as they can with Amazon capsules. That's why I suggested that alternative.

Since this is a free platform, it's only fair that revenue is split between authors and host.

Keep an eye on the Weekly Topic Inspiration forum. If you ever see a topic that relates to the e-book you wrote, then you can write hub on that topic and include your e-book in an Amazon capsule. Then you can post a link to your hub in that forum. That IS allowed.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
            psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think the reason it is not permitted in the forums is to prevent us from being burying under self-promotional posts for all the various products hubbers make.  So I agree with that rule.

21. LuisEGonzalez profile image79
    LuisEGonzalezposted 11 years ago

This sounds great. Why not let published authors share their success stories. It may even help HP in the long run as others outside of HP will notice the quality that some hubbers can turn out. I have several E books and would love the opportunity .......................big_smile

22. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

Great idea - there are so many intricacies to promoting a book in the e-publishing era.  It would be wonderful to get support from each other.

23. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

Since he first two posters no longer exist, I'm wondering if they were self exiled or banned for presenting this idea. I also wonder how many HP members have turned deleted and idled hubs into e-books. This may be a viable solution for some of us. smile

24. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Given that the thread was started a year ago, I see no reason to think they were banned for anything other than the usual reasons.

IMHO you would need to seriously rework most hubs to get them to work as a book.

1. Stacie L profile image87
      Stacie Lposted 11 years agoin reply to this

agreed....I know they would be to be expanded but would make a good foundation to start. Anyone have experience doing this?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)