Ever Called 911?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (18 posts)
  1. isabellivy profile image60
    isabellivyposted 12 years ago

Has anyone ever had to call 911?  Please share yoru story here.  Let us know what your emergency was and about your experience on the phone.

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes.  I live in a ground floor apartment so there are often people walking around at night especially in the summer.  I almost always look out the window if I here people lingering around in the middle of the night (if I happen to wake up).  One night I heard a girl yelling 'help me'.  I got up, grabbed my phone and went out to find the source of the voice. 

There were 2 people in the pool (at 2am).  The guy was trying to drown the girl.  The gate was locked.  He stopped when I walked up and questioned them.  I told her to climb back over the gate.  He followed.  I dialed 911 at the same time I yelled '911' in a deep very loud voice.  I had learned to do this many years ago in a self defense class for women. 

When I did this, the guy took off in another direction.  When the police arrived a few minutes later, she said they had been drinking and he just got a little crazy and started trying to hold her head under the water.  They did get the guy, someone she knew and knew where he lived.  After about 2 hours of statements and such, I went to bed and never heard anything about it again.

isabellivyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow, what a horrible situation!  I am sorry you never heard anything about what happened.  Not hearing the results can be almost as stressful as the original situation!

2. GmaGoldie profile image81
    GmaGoldieposted 12 years ago

When my neighbor's mom (visiting from Florida) fell and broke her wrist. Strangely, I know I made the call but don't remember that part of the experience.

We got to the hospital and since she could not produce her insurance card, her care was delayed.

I learned an important lesson about ALWAYS carrying my insurance card.

isabellivyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My husband had to call 911 for em one time when we were travelling and I passed out from heat exposure.  He had a similar experience in not being able to really remember the call.  He was so concerned about me, the phone call was sort of an autopilot thing for him.

3. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

Whenever I am detained by an officer I immediately call 911.  I see in this situation myself being unarmed in grievous danger.

I tell the 911 operator that there is a maniac with a gun and I fear for my life.  True story, and eliminates plausible deniability on the Police part.  I have done this three times in my life.  I do not encounter peace officers often.

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

I call them once a week just to be sure it works. For some reason they are perturbed by this.

5. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

My friends son was 7 at that time and he came home crying one day, I was talking to his mom when I noticed he was dialing his moms phone. He called 911 to report that one of his friend was mean to him. 911 called back after two minutes and my friend explained and apologized. His mom told me that he told his son about 911 for emergency purposes only.

I never called 911 though.

Happy New Year to all!

6. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Yep. Last year, hubby injured his hand/arm with a table saw. He passed out, and I couldn't wake him up. I called 911.

7. Rosie writes profile image82
    Rosie writesposted 12 years ago

When I was about 7 months pregnant, a car rear ended me on the interstate; I was shoved into the steering wheel even with my seatbelt on.  I called 911 and was taken by ambulance to the hospital.  Everything ended up being fine, but we were very worried for the baby at the time. That was several years ago.

8. SmartAndFun profile image93
    SmartAndFunposted 12 years ago

I have called 911 three times! Twice from the same friend's house. Once, a child had a drowning scare in my friend's pool. 6 adults were watching 2 kids, and even though we were right there next to the pool, we were talking and socializing and didn't notice right away that she was in trouble. While the father of the little girl pulled her out of the pool, I ran in to call 911. Someone had taken the cordless phone out of it's cradle and set it somewhere, and I couldn't find it! It was horrible running through the house looking for the phone. (This was before everyoen had cell phones.) Luckily the little girl was OK, but she did have to spend the night in the hospital.

The second time was at the same friend's house. She was bit on the foot by a copperhead snake! The 911 operator said to bring her in right away, but that we could drive her. It did end up being a quite severe and nasy injury.

The third time I was driving on the highway with my husband and kids and we saw a car veer off the road out of control and flip. I called 911 from my cell phone but I guess because cell phones are not as reliable as landlines, I got a 911 dispatch that was two counties away! While I was calling 911, my husband ran over to help but the impact must have killed the driver instantly, because when he got to her could tell she was already gone. Two nurses had pulled over and were giving CPR but sadly they could not revive her. She was not wearing a seat belt.

So the lessons are: WATCH your kids at the pool! Don't read or socialize. Don't take your eyes off them.

Keep a phone outside by the pool. Hold it in your hand the entire time if you like.

Wear your seat belts every time you are in a car.

9. ddsurfsca profile image72
    ddsurfscaposted 12 years ago

I called 911 once when I was driving into town (we lived in the country about 15 miles away) and noticed a police car pulled into the center divider, just sitting there. 
    We didn't think too much of it, but on our way home about 2 and a half hours later, the same cop car was still sitting there, and the cop looked like he was sort of slumped against the window.  We didn't have a cell phone with us, and we pulled off at the next place to use a coin phone.
    I explained to the operator what the deal was, and she wanted my name.  Now I began to think about this and thought that if I got that cop into trouble by telling on him for taking a nap or something I could be asking for trouble.  She insisted that if I did not give her my name nothing would be done. 
    I finally gave her my name to find out that when you call 911 for an officer, they have a special 911 that is dialed from the first one just for them.????
    So, I explained to the second 911 operator the trouble and posible problem, and she asked me of the exact location and I hung up.
    Found out later through an off duty cop who my mom worked for that he was ok but had fallen asleep doing paperwork in the center divider. 
    I was afraid he had gotten shot or something.  It was crazy.

10. ChristinaCali profile image60
    ChristinaCaliposted 12 years ago

I did call 911 for myself on Jan 2, 2009 @ 2:30am.  I had been hit by a SUV 2 days prior and laid dying in my house.  Day 1 - I don't recall anything.  Day 2 I woke up and there was light out, I managed to stumble to my bathroom to see the side of my head swollen HUGE and my right eye shut.  I was thinking to myself "What the hell happened?".  I then laid back in my bed and passed out again.  Later on that night I woke up and realized I was having a hard time breathing, and my left thigh was in the worst pain ever and swollen really bad.  I couldn't walk on it at all.  I crawled from my bed to the couch and was trying to drink water.  I figured if I could keep water down, I was okay.  Not the case.  I threw it all up within minutes and knew my head injury was bad.  I had some medical training and figured out that I was in bad shape.  The goal for the next hours was to crawl for my home phone so that the paramedics could get my house address.  By then, I could not talk, it was a gasp for HELP.  I crawled to my door and just opened it and laid on my front porch.  Within minutes an ambulance was there.  All I really remember is the EMT's doing a bunch of yelling and telling the driver to DRIVE AS FAST AS POSSIBLE, SHE WON'T MAKE IT.  I can recall trying to throw up once, and a doctor telling me he was going to put a tube down my throat to help me breathe.  I woke up 3 weeks later.  I had been put in a coma, because I had a skull fracture, respiratory failure, kidney failure, developed sepsis, and had pneumonia.  I also had a severed quad to the bone on my left thigh.  Talk about a WOW.  The skull fracture had slowed my motor skills to the point of holding a pencil was a challenge.  My speech had become slurred, and walking was hard because of my thigh.  In my entire life of some very hard paths (ex hubby was VERY physically abusive), I thought I was over everything.  I guess not.  I spent over a month in the hospital enduring dialysis and therapy to get myself back.  The doctors were going to send me to a rehab for my motor skills, but I was determined to fix myself.  My determination of staying up each night working on reading/writing proved them wrong.  I got it all back by the time I was discharged.  The cops never caught the driver.  I spend a few very hard years getting myself back on track.  Talk about a crazy 911 experience.  I went through lots of bumps and bruises the past few years, but got myself back from all the trauma.  The worst was knowing someone could hit me, and leave me for dead or carry me into my house?  I don't even know what happened.

11. JBBlack profile image60
    JBBlackposted 12 years ago

Many times. 

The most recent time was this past Christmas Eve.  I was driving to my mother's house, when I saw a 4-year-old kid walking down the street.  We turned around and my wife got out of the car.  I called 911.  The kid told my wife that he was walking to his Papi's house.  He hadn't been walking for long.  My wife and another woman walked the kid into a local store and they were in there for a bit.  My wife came out in tears a few minutes later, trying to take a Christmas present my son had just received out of his hands to give to the boy, but I deflected her.  They bought him a pack of gum. After about 10 mins, the police still didn't come.  But the boy's father did.  He was drunk, wearing a white cowboy hat, they walked off fast. 

She said at first the boy seemed excited, but began to get freaked out as events unfolded.  When she got back to the car she was crying and she did for a while after.  We weren't surprised that the biy would want to sneak off from that.  Struck a cord with both of us.

12. smzclark profile image60
    smzclarkposted 12 years ago

I had to call the police the day the father of my baby girl arrived at the door drunk with a sledgehammer in hand...and the second time he was with a knife!!!

I also work in a young people's hostel...

13. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

Yup!...and don't want to do it ever again.....

14. Cara.R profile image65
    Cara.Rposted 12 years ago

I did call 911 a few times. The one that stands out the most was when I was a painter. My co-workers and I were painting a retirement home in a very small town in New York. There were other tradesmen on the job. Plumbers, roofers and electricians. That week there were a crew of men installing siding on a four story building across the driveway that divided the two buildings.
    That particular day I found out one of the young guys on the crew were afraid of highs but; was encouraged to climb out the window onto the scaffolding. This scaffolding, in my opinion, was not meant to hold four men. It was put together with two by fours and things called picks and planks to stand on.
    I went to my car to get my respirator for palm sanding old pillars. On my way past them I noticed all four of them,on the scaffold. 
    Then I heard the crew leader yell something up to them from his truck. One guy yelled something back. With a driveway length apart from us I looked up at them and I noticed the scaffold move.
    In and instant the center of the planks broke. There was nothing I could do. I watched these men claw at the air and all fall onto the pavement. I called 911, told them how many people were injured and how high up in the air they were. They told me to make sure none of them move and for me or no one else to move them. I knelt down next to the young guy,the one afraid of highs, and  told him to remain calm and not move. The rest of the men were moaning, in this twisted pile, with other people from the crew trying to calm them down.
    It was so shocking to see it all. One man was airlifted to the nearest hospital, the others suffered from a broken back, the other their jaw, and a broken ankle. They were pretty lucky.

15. fosginger profile image60
    fosgingerposted 12 years ago

last time i called 911 i was calling to let them know i hit a hooker, when they realized who it was they say thank you, she's not dead is she? I said nope, but she wont be wearing them hooker heels for a while.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)