Original (poetry, short stories, etc) content allowed/encouraged?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Knightsend profile image59
    Knightsendposted 15 years ago

Hello. Less that a day I've been here now, and I did, admittedly a rudimentary search, but found nothing about hubbing my own poetry and short stories. Is this allowed, or encouraged? Or is it more information sharing based? Thank you.

1. peace_maker profile image60
      peace_makerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

poetry is the best medicine for heart

if ur good then ur able to make money o have other to read it

1. agaglia profile image79
        agagliaposted 14 years agoin reply to this
        1. agaglia profile image79
          agagliaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it all has to do with what you know about the system, the server or vender. How does it work and how well you can work it.
          Unfortunately, the daily work  sometimes leaves little time for the work on the new server or system.

2. agaglia profile image79
      agagliaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi Knightsend. I just got started here, too and am posting only poetry for now. I may branch out later, after I get my 'hub legs' under me. For now, I am just trying to get all the navigation down. good luck to you.

3. SeSharer profile image62
      SeSharerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think poetry is the best, for we can show more with less words, and people like poets.

2. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

Hi Knightend smile welcome to HubPages. Awesome people and fantastic team here. You will love it. As for your Hubbing, it is up to you. There are poets here too wink

3. Research Analyst profile image74
    Research Analystposted 15 years ago

I have seen some really great poetry here on hubpages, welcome and please do share your poetry with us.

4. peace_maker profile image60
    peace_makerposted 15 years ago

you can find some talented writers that can write well

1. trooper22 profile image61
      trooper22posted 14 years agoin reply to this

And then there is me )

5. profile image0
    jacobt2posted 15 years ago

it is definitely ok to write poetry and/or short stories. if they are good, they will get some traffic. i have read a few short stories on HP that i have really enjoyed. Also, i write a lot of literary criticisms over various works of literature in my hubs that get some views.

jacob<><

6. Knightsend profile image59
    Knightsendposted 15 years ago

Thank you all for your advice and encouragement:) I shall make some poetry hubs, please, by all means, check them out and let me know what you think.

7. JamaGenee profile image78
    JamaGeneeposted 15 years ago

Welcome, Knightsend! Yes, poetry and short stories are encouraged here.

8. Everyday Miracles profile image86
    Everyday Miraclesposted 15 years ago

Welcome!

Like you, initially I thought this might be discouraged. I figure it's not likely to make me much money unless I include commentary (which I did on one of my poems), but I wanted to share a couple of pieces that I posted a couple of days ago. GeneriqueMedia has novels being placed on Hubpages even!

9. profile image0
    Janettaposted 15 years ago

Hey there, welcome to HP!
    You can basically put anything you want on your hub, not everything may get traffic, however. But as long as you are enjoying writing it, then it doesn't really matter, right?? smile
    But, if you are looking for an outlet for specific genres/types of writing such as poetry and short stories, you can always try Triond.com  sort of like HP, but they publish your work for you on various relevant sites. I know one of their sites is a poetry one, so you might want to check it out. And I wouldn't see any reason you couldn't post your poems in both places. smile

1. Kelsey Tallis profile image65
      Kelsey Tallisposted 15 years agoin reply to this

But I thought they discourage content that is posted anywhere else online? Or does that not apply to creative writing?

10. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
    GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years ago

Yep, welcome to HP. Glad to have another writer on board. smile

We welcome anything as long as it's in good effort. wink

I'm happy to say that I had fears that people would not like my works because of some of the content, but apparently a few do appreciate.

Hope to see some of your stuff soon!

Sincerely,

G|M

1. Share And Care profile image61
      Share And Careposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I like your work you are talented   smile   
      G  check my hub and tell me what you think  smile

11. Share And Care profile image61
    Share And Careposted 15 years ago

Poetry comes from heaven, its like music ;;;;;  I am a poet too I love poetry

12. Paper Moon profile image79
    Paper Moonposted 15 years ago

I find that some hubbers post poems, stories and info.  Sometimes at the same time.  =0

1. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
      GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yep, I try to when I have a piece that is quite fitting. smile

And great first hub, Share And Care smile

Sincerely,
      G|M

13. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

Kelsey-

You can publish 'duplicate' content here, but your author score takes a penalty.  I have a couple poems and articles that were published elsewhere on the net, and although that is OK by the Hubpage rules, I know it has influenced the hubscore (and higher hubscores mean they direct more traffic your way).

...and yeah, it applies to all writing.

1. Kelsey Tallis profile image65
      Kelsey Tallisposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Lita! smile

I was thinking of publishing a poem here, but I was curious about the comment.

1. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
        GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I second that. I have one Hub marked "dupe." But through changing the context, not including the whole content, and trying to spruce it up I've managed to keep it at a decent score.

Sincerely,

G|M

14. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

No...  The don't CARE at all.  But I was told even if it is your original work, if it appears somewhere else on the web, your score will take a penalty...

The software they have, also, is automatic. However, when one of my original content hubs appearing elsewhere was flagged 'duplicate,' I contacted someone form Hubpages, and the above was what I was told.

15. Everyday Miracles profile image86

No, that includes your own original content. I assume the reason is that duplicate content can be penalized by Google. The search engines want to see pages that are entirely unique in every regard and you can take a hit if your page is a duplicate.

1. profile image0
      Janettaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

aha, I see. I wasn't sure what all they meant by that. I haven't published any duplicates so I haven't seen what happens when you do. Maybe they don't want to be paying you twice (Google I mean)for the same content when you have AdSense acct.  ?

16. Everyday Miracles profile image86

No no, Janetta! I didn't mean Adsense. Honestly I can't figure out how Adsense or Adwords works. I can only keep up with the search engines!

Google *search* will penalize you for duplicate content. You could also look at it as being rewarded for original content.

Since your purpose is to get your page *seen* in order to make money with Adsense, original content is crucial. Even if both sites where an item is displayed are paying you (through Adsense that is), the more impressions you get on a single page the more likely you are to get clicks on that page.

I prefer to keep content to one site and one site only, personally.

1. profile image0
      Janettaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I see...
      I am blaming my dopiness on tired eyes and lack of sleep. As in should be sleeping but am on HubPages instead. Oh well...I'll sleep later smile

17. jmc0409 profile image61
    jmc0409posted 15 years ago

I have posted two hubs since yesterday and I am not getting many veiws.. If anyone could read my hubs and let me know how I could improve them.

18. Everyday Miracles profile image86

jmco409, try posting your message in Extreme Hub Makeover smile

It takes some time to build traffic!

1. profile image0
      \Brenda Scullyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

This is my very first time on here, and this is the first comments I have read also,,,,,,  Hi everyone......  I know I should have read all about this, but how do you get money, is it simply by putting something up and people reading it,,,,,

19. Everyday Miracles profile image86

That's the gist of it, Brenda... It's a bit more complicated than that, though.

Digging up the article that compu-smart referenced earlier, this might help you:

http://hubpages.com/_1ujtiwirvvvo9/hub/ … -Earnings/

20. agaglia profile image79
    agagliaposted 14 years ago

we all have good days and bad.
    We all know happy and sad.
    Let's figure out a way to share
    the load and earn some greenbacks on the way.

21. Pete Maida profile image60
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

I am a fiction writer and a poet first.  I started writing articles much later.  I publish fiction and poetry here.  It is well received but it is not likely to be a top scorer.

22. timuhl24 profile image60
    timuhl24posted 14 years ago

I am very glad I came across this page, I wanted to start out by writing short stories and poems because I can do that pretty well and have posted some poems on poetry websites. I wasnt sure whether or not I was allowed to post poems but now that I know I can, maybe I can get myself some more traffic. I already have 7 hubs up and have only been on here for a couple days.

I also use google adsens which I have only been using a couple days and my first day i made $.14 cents. They way you make money with google adsense is like this. when someone views your content, there will be googl ads called ADS BY  GOOGLE, on your page, if someone, LIGIT, clicks one of those ads and views it, thats where the income comes in because those ads are PAID TO CLICK ADS, where they are posted on your behalf I guess. so if someone clicks it, whatever the company has it set at per click, you get 60% and hubpages gets 40%. I got 3 clicks my first day and about 100 impressions. wish i could have gotten more clicks with that many impressions.

I hope this helped/helps anyone interested on/with adsense.
    View my hubs by the way all who read this and thanks. any comments would be greatly apreciated.

1. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually, that's not how ad revenue is shared here. 

Your ad affiliate code is shown 60% of the time (randomized) and HubPages shows 40%.  You get 100% of the revenue earned when your ad code is in play.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)