Weekly Topic Inspiration: Share Your Guides/Advice on Cosmetic Surgery

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (65 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 12 years ago

What do you know about cosmetic surgery? Have you or someone you know looked into it, or even had some work done? What do you know about the various procedures available? Share your insights and experiences as part of this week’s Weekly Topic Inspiration challenge!

If you don’t know where to start, consider using one of these search-friendly titles:
    Should I Get a Nose Job? The Pros and Cons of Nose Reshaping
    How to Find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
    Health Insurance Options for Cosmetic Procedures
    Cosmetic Surgery Financing 101: A Beginner’s Guide
    How to Get Plastic Surgery Financing
    Free Plastic Surgery: Is There Really Such a Thing?
    How Much do Breast Implants Cost? An Overview of Expenses
    Breast Augmentation Cost: A Look at Clear and Hidden Expenses
    What it’s Like to Get a Mini Face Lift: Major Pros and Cons
    Common Cosmetic Surgery Prices: A Practical Overview
    How Much Does Nose Surgery Cost?
    The Downsides of Getting a Tummy Tuck: Scars & Recovery

If you'd like to join in on this week's topic by writing a Hub, follow these steps:

1)    Stop by this week's Weekly Topic Inspiration Question.
    2)    Click the green button "answer this question".
    3)    Click the gray button below the box (leave that empty) that says "make a Hub about it."
    4)    Give your Hub a very specific title, like Easy Summer Gardening Projects for Kids or Challenging Summer Activities for Teens
    5)    Create good quality original content that hasn't been covered before.
    6)    After you publish your Weekly Topic Inspiration Hub, come back to this forum thread and post a link to your Hub with a brief description of what you wrote about and why.

For more information on the Weekly Topic Inspiration program, check out the Learning Center guide.

1. melbel profile image93
      melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cool! I'm going to do:
      Should I Get a Nose Job? The Pros and Cons of Nose Reshaping

Simone Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good one! That combines two search-friendly keywords. Plus I'm really interested in knowing what you find the major perks and drawbacks to be.

2. wordscribe43 profile image89
    wordscribe43posted 12 years ago

Great topic, Simone.  I have no experience with this particular topic, so I'm out.  Second week in a row I didn't feel I could contribute anything worthy and original....  Oh well.  Good luck everyone.

Meh, not every topic is going to strike a chord! Maybe next week! wink

3. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

Oh, wow!  I have those frown lines between my eyebrows since I turned 40 or so, but I'm going to keep them because I earned them.  That goes for the graying hair, but I have my parents to blame for that.  This topic could be a challenge since I know only one person who has tried one of the following:

1)  Facial Botox
    2)  Liposuction
    3)  Eyelid Alteration
    4)  "Boob Job" (she offered that I go in with her for a "Two for One")
    5)  Liposuction

Then you have the ones who aren't going to give up any information.  This is when you have to observe if their foreheads can move.  A telltale sign!

Thanks, Simone!  I will try not to die laughing as I work on this WTI!

1. Denise Handlon profile image84
      Denise Handlonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hahahaha  lol   I love the line: "that goes for the graying hair, but I have my parents to blame for that."   I've told my kids: I've earned every gray hair from raising them!

2. Simone Smith profile image87

Tehehee! That friend of yours would be able to write a TON though! Sounds like she got hooked. Hmm... imagine redesigning oneself like that!

4. MarleneB profile image92
    MarleneBposted 12 years ago

I am new to this forum and hoping that the procedure I have followed for accepting the Weekly Topic Challenge is correct.

I chose the topic of tummy tucks because I have a friend who underwent a tummy tuck. I was curious about this type of surgery and wanted to learn more so that I could relate to her experience.

Here is a link to my hub titled "What Type of Scars to Expect When You Get a Tummy Tuck": http://marleneb.hubpages.com/t/2f6ca1

Thank you, in advance for your critical feedback.

Congratulations to staring us off, Marlene!  smile   Read it and commented.

1. MarleneB profile image92
        MarleneBposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for your support.

Yes, welcome to the Weekly Topic Inspiration world, MarleneB! Great entrance. Your Hub is great! Even though I'm not looking to get work done, I got a lot out of it.

I am glad to be part of this forum. It is filled with inviting and inspirational people. I like it here and look forward to visiting on a regular basis.

3. profile image0
      Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Gotcha, Marlene!  I read your piece last night before bedtime, and I am happy that I didn't dream of tummy tucks!  Left a comment, too!  Your facts on tummy tucks were interesting and fascinating.  Don't want one of those!  Never did!

Thank you, Arlene V. Poma, for your feedback. I'm right there with you. I am too afraid of pain to want to go through a tummy tuck just to get rid of my "battle" bulge (after the birth of my two lovely daughters). Still, it was interesting to learn about scars and how they are handled in such a procedure.

5. CASE1WORKER profile image60
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

Despite knowing nothing about the topic and having no one I know who has ever had any of this surgery I went ahead and tackled it.
    After research which was quite startling to me as it was all new I managed to produce a hub. As its in the new format I think it looks quite professional!

The link is
    http://case1worker.hubpages.com/hub/Fre … Thing?done

Well, hurrah for learning experiences! Great Hub- you offered a very fair overview of the subject!

2. MarleneB profile image92

I read and truly enjoyed your style of writing.

1. CASE1WORKER profile image60
        CASE1WORKERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks MarleneB, much appreciated

6. remaniki profile image78
    remanikiposted 12 years ago

I was very happy to see Simone's question as I had the content ready and with a few tweaks,I was able to publish the hub. I am also new to the Weekly Hub Challenge and I do hope I have done things right. You can find my hub at http://remaniki.hubpages.com/hub/Cosmet … posuction.

Did you know that the link is not working?

1. remaniki profile image78
        remanikiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks a lot for letting me know. This is the actual link. http://remaniki.hubpages.com/hub/Cosmet … iposuction
        There was a period at the end of the link which I did not notice. Thanks.
        But I wonder why this hub page looks different from the others in that it doesn't show my profile pic and the other things like notifications.

Wow, this was pretty cool! It's fun to read about the actual mechanics of these procedures. Cool Hub!

Also, just for reference, the first link didn't work because there was a period at the end of the URL. That's all! wink

Thanks Simone.

2. CASE1WORKER profile image60

Ah yes, I can see it now and it was worth the wait!

Thank you case1worker. But for you, I wouldn't have corrected the error in the link.
            Thank you very much.

Nicely done-thanks for sharing. smile  Just read and commented.

Thank you Denise.

7. K9keystrokes profile image85
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

Being prepared for "Body Contour Surgery" can make a world of difference!

http://k9keystrokes.hubpages.com/t/2f7409

Happy Hubbing! big_smile

Awesome Hub on a potentially difficult subject

1. K9keystrokes profile image85
        K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much Case1worker! smile

This is brilliant! Informative, helpful, packed with important points and facts, and well laid-out. Awesome Hub, K9keystrokes!

Smiling from ear to ear...but I hear they can fix that with cosmetic surgery!? wink
        Thanks Simone!

lol  lol  lol   That's a good one!  Read the hub-excellent!

big_smile Thanks Denise! lol

Awww, shucks, t'were nuthin'   (blush, blush)  lol   I'm in a light hearted mood:  three days off in a row, whoo hoo!

8. profile image0

As a child, I always loved to read about the Spanish explorers and conquistadors in the New World.  Ponce de Leon was my favorite since his search was totally different.  He spent his life looking for the Fountain of Youth in what is now Florida.

Does Botox even come close to The Fountain of Youth?  Only its users know!

http://arlenevpoma.hubpages.com/hub/Ten-Years-of-Botox

Very interesting hub, Arlene.  Enjoyed learning about the history.  smile

1. profile image0

Thank you, Denise!  I guess I did learn something when it came to those history classes in grade school.

lol

2. MarleneB profile image92

Such a wonderful hub to read. And, your injection of history made it even more enjoyable.

1. profile image0

Thank you, Marlene!  I am inspired to do more reading on The Fountain of Youth.  According to family lore, Magellan wasn't too popular with my ancestors (Philippines).  He never made it out of there.

3. Simone Smith profile image87

This was an enjoyable one indeed, Arlene big_smile

1. profile image0

Thanks, Simone.  The use of Botox opened my eyes.  And so did the costs!  But it's like coloring your hair.  Do it once, and you're back to the hairdresser again and again.  I'm keeping my 11's between my eyes because I did EARN them.

9. K9keystrokes profile image85
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

Liposuction may not be right for everyone, and here's why...
    http://hubpages.com/t/2f7e72
    HubHugs to the room~ big_smile

Geez, you're quick!  I'm still painfully plugging away with my c.s. hub and it's taking me all freaking day!!!!!  sad     lol

It's all the fresh brewed coffee! --hugs--

Quick indeed! This is a great one- I was especially surprised by some of the stats you included!

Thanks Simone, I was a little surprised as well!
        --hugs--

10. Denise Handlon profile image84
    Denise Handlonposted 12 years ago

Yay!  lol  I'm finally finished with the 'Chin' implant hub for this week.  (whew, it has taken me all darned day!)  smile 

http://denisehandlon.hubpages.com/hub/C … -Chin?done

Excellent job! I enjoyed learning about chin implants. The quiz stumped me, though. Still, I learned a lot, even though my score doesn't show it. I was never the best quiz-taker.

Aww, thanks for reading and never mind that quiz.  It was the first time I've ever added that into a hub so it was kind of an experiment for me.  smile

I Loved the quiz but didnt do too well- .. we all seem to be having fun writing on something we don't know too much about!

2. Docmo profile image92
      Docmoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nice one Denise. Really useful hub. Not that I need a chin implant yet...

lol    Thanks.

3. Simone Smith profile image87

I had just read about an increase in chin implants over the weekend! Fascinating Hub- and I love the way it's laid out!

11. mikadamianuts profile image60
    mikadamianutsposted 12 years ago

Wow! Follow me please

12. profile image0

Are you required to see a therapist/psychologist/psychiatrist before getting cosmetic surgery done?  I mean, shouldn't you get an okay from a professional so that you are getting the surgery for all the right reasons other than vanity?  I've known about three people that went in for surgery, and they are either hooked on getting more surgery or are angry that the surgery did not do wonders for them in terms of happiness.

Actually, I did not include this in my hub on chins, but part of the initial consultation with the surgeon and before any cutting is done, there will be a medical AND mental health check.  There will be a screening to determine if you have or have in the past a mental health diagnosis and what it was; also, if there are any psychiatric meds and what they are; and third, what your current mental health is.  If you are depressed they won't move ahead until that has stabilized.  Further, there is a very common side effect FOLLOWING the surgery of dropping into a depression-partly because it is life changing and a huge decision, partly because it may have been botched (I'm sure RAGE would follow depression on that one! lol) but also because it may not have 'done' what it intended to do-to make one feel better about oneself.  So, yes they do screen that emotional / mental health component.   Good question.

1. profile image0

Excellent answer, Denise!  That one woman who had one of the first liposuctions was such an angry character.  I guess the surgery was fairly new at the time, but she didn't follow up on it because over the years, she became grossly overweight.  As far as celebrities go, I remember when Carnie Wilson had hers done years back, and when I spotted her on TV, she looked like her "before" self.  And was still seeking more surgery because she was determined to make it work.  Something about walking her daughters down the aisle.  Anyway, it does make sense to get some therapy.  That woman I know has always been angry, and I think the surgery is part of the problem.  It didn't work for her.

smile  Words of wisdom:  'Seek head doctor for body work'   lol

1. profile image0

ABsolutely!  Who would want to pay for something that you don't like?  It's like that saying:  "Wherever you go, there YOU are!"  It's not that you can go through the rest of your life wearing a brown paper sack!

lol

13. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 12 years ago

Hey everyone! The new Weekly Topic theme is up! I encourage you to share your first aid tips this week! You never know when this kind of knowledge will come in handy...

14. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 12 years ago

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)