What should I do about this problem? Am asking hubbers, admins, or...

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (27 posts)
  1. profile image0
    blake4dposted 11 years ago

Hi, thanx for even taking the time to see what this forum post is about...It is one of the few I have ever made. Just not much of a forum type guy. Love to read the debates from afar, anyway...

I am trying to comply to everything with hub pages of late. But now I am unsure what to do.Apparently it is a violation of policy not to put your user name in tags or titles...but if you look through my content. This is something I have done with every single poem I have written since joining two years ago. ( for example : New Poem by Blake4d ) in over two hundred hubs. It only has ever been addressed to me in the last week, and never officially explained until three days ago.

Also I am suddenly having hubs that are bringing up violations of more than two links to a single domain. Does this mean hyperlinks, youtube videos, or what exactly.I have read through the materials and am not sure. Two of the pages I have take unpublished for they probably did have more than two links, but one was over a year plus old, and the other two are more than a month old. I check for violations frequently throughout each month on my own, I do not wait for broken links or violations to appear. It never showed up before now.

It seems that if the current problems are as I understand them, every single hub I have ever created will probably now be in violation of some sort. Or am I incorrect. I love writing on hub pages, this all seems to have begun about the hub I published on robotics and artificial intelligence, that I did not realize was going to violate TOS as fetishism, when I was writing about the future of robotics in human society as a subspecies, such as many science fiction writers have proposed.

I get that I am under administrative auditing or review, and I have to wait before publishing anything for 48 to 72 hours now. That is not something I am complaining about, and as I say I have been trying to comply. Anyway that is not really important, anybody that knows my work, knows that I was not going for shock value...it was part of my 2012 series that has covered a number of controversial topics. Until now I thought I had been doing good work here on Hub Pages, but well that is the meat of my problem...I am trying to solve and be in the solution.

How am I expected to deal with this....I want to continue writing here. Unless the point is that I am being pushed out, or phased out, directly or indirectly. I am not sure what to do, as I am very fond of hub pages, have some following here, and thought I brought an original streak to the website. I also have tried to be a good member, encourage other hubbers, and until recently was unaware that I was violating TOS or other agreements. I have read the rules numerous times over the last two years. I don't mean to sound ignorant, but I am at a serious loss.

Thanx so much for your considerations.

Keep on Hubbing. Blake4d

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't put my username in tags or titles either, Blake.  I did know you couldn't put more than 2 links to the same site, though.  Perhaps someone who understands your problem will chime in here.  It ain't me, though!  Sorry! smile

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

2. rmcrayne profile image91
      rmcrayneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Don't take things too personally.  Most of these things are auto-generated, and not identified by human review.  Overnight I went from zero red skulls, to 29 hubs with red skulls. 

To see what the violations are, go to "my account" in the dropdown menu under your username.  Then click on "hub violations".  This will display all of your red skull hubs with violations.  Click on any one of the hubs in violation.  Then click on the yellow sentence, “Warning:  This Hub contains more than two links to a single domain.”  Click on that sentence, and it will say: 

This Hub has more than two links to a single domain.  HubPages allows no more than two promotional links to a single domain per Hub.  Links in the image source field of images count toward this limit.  RSS feeds with links in excess of two are permitted, but only when links in the body of the text do not point to the same site. 

Please note that promotional links are links that you may have any interest in promoting (your blog, your Website, affiliate offers, etc.).  Links to well-known Web resources which you don’t have any personal interest in (like Wikipedia, news sites, encyclopedias, open directories, etc.) are exempt from this limitation. 

The following domains are linked to more than twice:   

Then it will show you what links are linked more than twice. 

None of my 29 have promotional links that are linked more than twice.  The links are informational, and to sites that I have no financial interests in.  I only have a tiny Blogger blog, a few Wizzley pages, and a few Zujava leaves, and I have not linked to any of them. 

In these instances, you can ask for Hub staff to manually review and clear the violations.

1. Dale Hyde profile image80
        Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well some of those may be exempt, but in my Hurricane Season Hub, I had three links to NOAA, which is the main "Federal" site for hurricane updates and information. The links went to a hurricane tracking map download, the update page, and a news page. I got the red skeleton.  To me, links that may be considered life saving from a government agency should be exempt, but I guess not.  This is from a hub getting just a few hits a day, only like 500, and is my top hub.  I tweaked it and did away with the links. Now, this is an information hub with less information in it and informative links, so I expect a drop in Google traffic. Today, I had two red skeletons and a broken link that I like to never got rid of from a "former" hubber's hub that I had linked to. I guess with the screw up of HP not publishing for a few hours, and things not updating here, the autobot had a field day.

1. profile image0
          blake4dposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That doesnt sound too promising.

2. rmcrayne profile image91
          rmcrayneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Dale you probably could have left the hub "as is" and nothing would have ever happened.  The red skull is a warning of potential violation. Ive ignored them for months at a time.  Read the warning that I copied to my post again. 

Clearly your links were informational, not promotional.  If you want to be sure, contact the hubpages team and ask for human review.

1. profile image0

Yeah I can see that, unfortunately because I had the aforementioned administrative watch on a how my hubs are being made, for whatever time period that is...I have been given several emails explaining that multiple violations can get your account closed etc. So I jumped the gun and wanted to be proactive in solving the problem. I was suckered in too quick out of apprehension. Don't be like Blake4d.

Although I guess I still have to contend with my name being in titles, being deceptive. I  also see that this AM several other people have begun posting about the same type of 2 or more link violations, on other forum postings.

3. TeriSilver profile image96
      TeriSilverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I had a "skull" crop up on an article I'd written months ago (that had no problems) because, apparently, I have more than one or two link to a site (but in this case, it's an informative site, not commercial).  I can only assume it's something new (and I can think of other areas that HubPages can improve on). Not sure what to do because I think the links are a valid part of the educational value of the article.

Thing is .... this article was published (as it was) in October of 2011.

4. profile image0

Well I just saw this on the two other forum posts...
      Jason Menayanposted 31 minutes ago

It's a bug. Please ignore the red skulls for now.

but in response to Reality Bytes on another part of the forum
      Jason Menayanposted 30 minutes ago

Simply reduce the number of links to any domain to a maximum of two. As others have said here, it's a method to limit the attractiveness to spammers, who want to litter their Hubs with as many links to the sites they want to promote as possible.

So it seems that if you know you have multiple links, fix it. All should be fine. But there is a bug. Thanx to someone for getting that info to us...

Any chance you guys have answer to the first half of my original question? About my name and my many older hubs...when you guys have time. I know the code work has to come first. Keep on Hubbing. My Hubbers. Blake4d

And remember...

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6554582_f248.jpg

2. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

When you open your hub in 'edit mode' and look to the right, there will be a little wee warning with a '?'. Click on that '?' and a window opens to reveal what's been identified as the violation. Remove it and others, then resubmit for publication. Your hub will go in queue for review. If there is a link to another site, you are using 'regularly' or want more visitors to it, I would suggest placing it on your profile. Not sure I've helped but hopefully given some suggestions that will. You don't need to have your name in every hub. It's already in your sub-domain attached to your profile wink  smile

1. profile image0

That is the thing, I have had that happen before and know exactly what you mean. I have been given no indication of the violations except for the red skull symbol in the hubs within my private profile listings. Nothing at the top of my hub, nothing giving me the cue in edit mode, it was not unpublished....

3. Brooke Lorren profile image61
    Brooke Lorrenposted 11 years ago

I just recently noticed that I was having that problem too.  I got a violation for linking to Wikimedia Commons, which is obviously not promotional.  I was linking to the pages where the public domain pictures were originally taken from, which I normally do as a courtesy.  I don't want to risk it, so some of those links must go!

1. profile image0

My pics were not that issue at all. They were pictures of a school that only students that attended would have the rights to, not a thing that is public domain, something that only a few hundred of us would have had. You are fine with your Wikimedia Commons, I work on Examiner, public domain has not changed. We use them all the time. Something has to be glitched in the HP system, too many people are starting to come out this morning.

1. profile image0

Well I have removed every link that was active in the hub, now it is still redskulled. I guess I will wait to see if things resolve over the coming day and afternoon. Hope this has been helpful to some of you this AM. I gotta get writing for my other websites...Will check back as time allows.

Please HP admins or whomever, please check into this. Keep on Hubbing.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

I got my first ever violation, says my cupcake hub links to malicious or phishing sites. I just deleted the links. They don't add to the article anyway.

1. profile image0

I seems as long as the links aren't active it should be okay. I will just have to wait it out.

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

All you can do it chip away at it and make the changes that are wanted.  Irritating, I know, but you'll get there.

1. profile image0

Yeah mostly because you are also trying not to violate anyone with copyright, by giving them credit when necessary. Online, I write for other websites too, it is usually expected to do that not by a byline note, but by hyperlinking, so that people can navigate to that information if they wish. Strange, but it is all good, I have violated about every way you can at one time or another. I will still be writing no matter how the world changes the rules, It is what I have been doing for 20 years, long before Hub Pages was around. I appreciate the format here, the loyalty of the readers, and the good thing is my hits are higher than ever in the last six months. So I agree PS, thanks for the encouragement.

Would still like to hear from the admins directly...Hello...Keep on Hubbing.

6. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years ago

I believe this is an error. I have just checked one of my so called 'offending hubs' (of which about 8 appeared today), and the only links on the most recent one I checked were either to other relevant hubs of mine (internal links therefore) and three to Morguefile in photo attributions. Last time the latter happened it was quickly corrected and an apology issued to me by a staff member in an email, (it had been the photo attributions that were the cause of the error). I suspect the same problem has happened again either with the photo attribution links or the internal HP links.

7. stclairjack profile image78
    stclairjackposted 11 years ago

i'm not a prolific writer here,... and i have no usable advice for you as i am also not very savy to the tech involved,...

but i know what you mean in at least a small sense.

i wrote what i thought was an informative hub about how to change your last name, sprinkled it with a bit of humor and a lost of helpful advice

it was not merely red skulled, it was un-published. i worked for two weeks trying to figure out what had offended the hub gods,... repeated copy/paste messages that told me nothing but vauge slap-downs,... i finaly got frustrated and deleted the whole thing.

i feel your pain brother

1. profile image0

Thanx...not really in pain, but thanx. In your case, I wonder if you bordered on one of the taboo subjects. Just like I did with the robot fetishism issue, changing your last name info could have been construed as tutorial information about how to conduct identity theft etc. I certainly could not know that for sure, but it definitely sounds like a grey area issue. Which I am the king of walking the line on high profile subjects. Anyway...this is really the first time I have posted anything serious in the forums, I truly appreciate all the responses and attempts at assistance in any form. Keep on Hubbing everybody. Let us hope it is not a 2012 May Day glitch.

1. stclairjack profile image78
        stclairjackposted 11 years agoin reply to this

now thats food for thought,... i never looked at it as a toutorial on identity theft,... in fact, i humrously warned that some portions of the proscess were disturbingly easy.

all part of the 2012 conundrum,.... or so the myans would have us believe,... your a hoot!

1. profile image0

Ah if the Maya had had paper they would have made wall calendars back then, if Tezcalipoca and Quetzecoatl do return from the Star Nations to the land of Macchu Picchu on the winter solstice, it will probably just be to wind the clocks. And get a good giggle at how little we have done during the last 13 heavens and 9 hells.

In Lak' Ech Ech...You Are Another Myself

8. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

I didn't get a violation message as such on my latest hub. However, given that I was writing about a person for whom I have much respect, I felt it was a bit naff to have ads all over the hub, therefore, I tried to reduce the ad level to medium or low. I do not have any Amazon or eBay capsules on it.

I was not allowed to do so. A message came up telling me my hub was commercial. Well, the links it contains lead to the person's Twitter profile, the web site of a mainstream political party in Wales, and a web site which provides a free course and a forum for people wanting to learn Welsh. While there is an option on that last site for people to subscribe financially at a few pounds per month if they wish to access further courses, this is not mandatory, nor is it run as an affiliate scheme, i.e. if someone does subscribe as a result of reading my hub, my only reward will be to know that this has helped the ensure the site and its wonderful community will be able to keep going.

We seem to have a situation on HP that goes counter to the basic principles of justice, namely the HP default is to assume someone is guilty unless they can prove they are innocent.

1. profile image0

In your case individually, it is probably because of the Twitter profile, Twitter is considered a social network link, in essence Twitter is not a website, it is a link within a link, kinda. You would be better to use the actual URL address on the real world website. Twitter is not on planet Earth, so it probably is screwing with your WriteAngled sensibilities, but more importantly your hub. Keep on Hubbing.

2. Greekgeek profile image77
      Greekgeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Of all my hubs currently sporting red skulls, the only one that's not being flagged linking to suspicious images posted on NASA or the USGS or an archive of 1800s articles on solar flares (very dodgy) is an article I wrote on a charity that's providing free lighting to people in third world countries.

A charity with which I have no associations whatsoever, but I saw it on the news and thought, "What a great idea! I shall spread the word about it, because this is an excellent and useful thing!"

That's getting flagged. And I've checked and rechecked, and there are only TWO links on it to the charity's website.

Other than that, all my hubs getting flagged are educational hubs on geology and astronomy, linking to the aforementioned sites in the image credits.

On the other hand, the tongue-in-cheek review I wrote of an exercise bike from the POV of my cat is passing all the spam filters with flying colors.

Hubpages filters, you are so schizophrenic...

1. profile image0

I will repeat this down here for anyone who might miss it...
        Well I just saw this on the two other forum posts...
        Jason Menayanposted 31 minutes ago

It's a bug. Please ignore the red skulls for now.

but in response to Reality Bytes on another part of the forum
        Jason Menayanposted 30 minutes ago

Simply reduce the number of links to any domain to a maximum of two. As others have said here, it's a method to limit the attractiveness to spammers, who want to litter their Hubs with as many links to the sites they want to promote as possible.

So it seems that if you know you have multiple links, fix it. All should be fine. But there is a bug. Thanx to someone for getting that info to us...

Any chance you guys have answer to the first half of my original question? About my name and my many older hubs...when you guys have time. I know the code work has to come first. Keep on Hubbing. My Hubbers. Blake4d

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)