Crazy Insane Neighbor swings lead pipe at 15 pound dog - HELP!

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (25 posts)
  1. ptosis profile image68
    ptosisposted 11 years ago

I have a little Chug. I bought a harness for the dog because one of my friends commented on how cruel the 'slave collar" was. Well. The dog wiggled out of the harness yesterday and went over to these awful people next door.

This is not the first time my dog escaped. But each time I was trying to catch the canine who was dogging after a stray cat that lives underneath the neighbor's shed. Each time the violence from this young man in his twenties has increased in threat and now physical intimidation.

I used to enter the back yard to get the dog ( who is NOT listening to me) but no more. Now I have to whisper "Chugs" to try to lure my dog to me from outside the fence because I don't want this crazy idiot to confront me again.

That was what I was doing yesterday. Then my apartment neighbor tried to help. I tried to shush her because I didn't want the guy know that the dog was in his yard. Well - he noticed!

Betty was in the back with the gate open to let the dog escape. I was in the front sidewalk and saw this guy come out with a lead pipe all pissed off and his buddy trailing him. I didn't see anything - but I swear - if I heard the dog yelp in pain - I would have gone completely MEDIEVAL on this young guy even though I would have been probably hurt myself, (I'm 51). So the guy comes back to the front and yells and says "Next time - the dog is gone bitch!" I foolishly ( because I was so angry - I lost reason by now) and I went Boot Camp on him - yelling into his face 1/4 inch aways from his nose. He touched lightly his weapon to my elbow.

I yelled "Don't hit me with that stick!" and  touched his elbow with my hand lightly. His buddy told me to just "go" because this thing was getting out of control.

I went around the fence to the back and now this young guy is yelling at Betty (68) - still holding the lead pipe in his hand!

I yelled at him, "Why are you yelling at her?!? It's not even her dog! Are you insane?!? PSYCHOTIC?!?"

Saw the dog run home to the apartment complex. Got the dog and put him inside. Then I cut and resewed the too big of a dog harness until much tighter but not to tight so he can breathe. I thought I fixed the problem but when testing it with the dog  - I could still pull off if the dog.

So now I am back to the collar again. I was crying last night and this morning because of what Betty told me what happened while I was coming around the back.

Betty said she was so scared. She was trying to lure the dog and both her and the dog were near the corner of the fence. The nasty crazy young man took a full swing at the little dog and missed - or decided not to at the last moment. When he swung, Betty was between the crazy asshole and the dog saying, "No.No!"

From what Betty described how he was swinging that lead pipe at the dog, if he would of connected to the dog, Chugs would have had a cracked skull or broken his back.

If that would have happened, I would have been arrested and locked up from completely losing my mind with rage. Or I would have been in the hospital trying to kill this guy.

I am still upset. I am so nervous about the dog escaping again. The dog comes to me when I'm in the woods hiking (not quick enough - so I have him on a long leash) or in  the dog park that has a fence around it.

This dog knew that I had no control over him when he wiggled out yesterday. He first was about to stay and let me pick him up - but he probably smelt my fear and took off like a bat out of hell towards the crazy neighbor's house.

So now I have my long leash that is tied outside my door and the clip end inside so that I clip the dog on the leash before even opening the door to any visitor just to make sure he never ever escapes again.

Should I get one of those electric collars  - it seems so cruel. But I'm so afraid that this guy is going to get a baseball bat next.

I tell you what - this guy is a punk. Yells at old ladies and tries to beat to death little dogs. I bet he wouldn't be acting that way if it was a 150 pound Rotwieler  - the Rotwieler would tear the punk-ass-he-bitch apart.

Yes, I'm swearing. I think I have righteous anger about how this man-boy acted. But maybe I'm wrong. I want to hear from non-dog-owners, or dog-haters about this situation and what should I do?

Picture of Chugs:

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6502388_f248.jpg

1. moonlake profile image82
      moonlakeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

All dogs get away from people no one is perfect. You do need to call the police and let them know what this man is doing. You are right to pick your dog up if you know he is going to take off. This guy is looking for an excuse to kill an animal and if he will kill a dog who knows what else he would do.

2. Lucky Cats profile image81
      Lucky Catsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

First, you need to turn that man in for wielding a weapon and making threats.  you must tell the local authorities that he is dangerous and, perhaps., a psychopath.  He has threatened you...you have rights.  He held what is recognized as a "weapon" while he threatened you...if there are witnesses, you can ask them to attest to the fact that you were trying to help; to solve a situation and he was unreasonable and out of control.

Second, try to keep your dog near you or inside...you lose some of your 'standing' should he enter the neighbor's yard.  Control your dog in a loving way because he must be kept safe, too.

If the man is a renter, contact the landlord and lodge a complaint.  If this is too risky,  or you think you could be endangered by doing so; then don't. 

I, too, would run to the aid of any animal that I witnessed being abused, mistreated, etc.  and I have noqualms about removing an abused animal from the tormentor....there is the "letter' of the law and the "spirit" of the law; and both are held as legitimate in instances similar to this. 

If you can, document (safely) whatever you see that the man is doing which could be used to prove his instability and threatening nature.

Good luck

ptosisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'' give the non emergency call to a police just to let them know but no other action.

Betty has lived here for 17 years and knew him when he was a little boy, "Always cops."

I have tried before to keep dog close - but now - I just have to act like a jail warden and  make sure he is on the leash even if crack the door open.  He is good about staying when I'm in and out of the house back and forth.  But it still happens.

Check out my picture called "tactical dog". Picture taken inside a cave.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6688482_f248.jpg

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Misty told me you needed help. I don't venture onto the forums much, but let me try and help you. You can also call me on the phone if it would help. You can find a link to my business website with contact information on my hub profile.

Please do not get an electric fence with shock collar for your dog! These are not a perfect solution and they are not without hazards.

Secondly, you need to file a police report if you haven't already. This man is threatening you and your dog with a weapon.

Thirdly, call Animal Control to come get the stray cat to eliminate the motivation for your dog's escape.

And, enroll your dog in dog training classes or private lessons. At the very least, get a good dog training book (on clicker training or at least positive reinforcement training) and train the dog yourself if you think you can do it without classes.

And I strongly recommend you keep the harness. I'm a proponent of harnesses vs. neck collars to prevent neck trauma and eye damage. In fact, I just made a short video yesterday and uploaded to YouTube on the very topic of using harnesses rather than neck collars, esp with short- muzzled dogs: I'd post the link but I think that might be considered "promotional."

OK, after reading I did call the non-emergency ## for the police and told him. I was instructed to call 911 if ever a next time and not to enter somebody's private property which is trespassing.

Ofr. Allen is going to talk to the young man and instruct him to call 911 if ever a stray dog is on his property.

Today I am going to put a $25 deposit for the cat trap from the city pound to catch that Tom Cat that lives underneath the guy's shed to get rid of the lure. I am going to have to find a chain lock so the trap isn't stolen, (lotta thieves around here)

I've already alter the halter and sewed it up tight fitting so that It can loosen again. Also have old halter that he chewed the plastic snap off and resew that to the type that the stronger the dog pulls the tighter it gets around his chest area.

I am making sure this will never happen again. I hope I never ever have to confront this young man ever in my life.

1. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61

Good!

I just did a quick internet search for a client looking for a very small harness. Here's what I found:

http://www.wag.com/dog/p/four-paws-refl … ess-113057

http://www.baxterboo.com/dog/supplies.c … rness-blue

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? … McBEPMCMAM

http://www.gollygear.com/mesh.htm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANY-SIZE-COLOR- … 519eed73aa

http://www.amazon.com/Puppia-Soft-Harne … B0013N1822 (X-Small - 10.25" x 15" Chest Girth / 8.6" Neck Girth)<---smallest I found for chest circumference less than 11 inches.

Oops - just saw that 15" chest girth - perhaps I read it wrong.

2. Nell Rose profile image91
    Nell Roseposted 11 years ago

Well from a dog lover, I would have kicked his ass! but seriously if he keeps threatening everybody just call the police. He has no right to do that, and he's not just threatening the dog but you too, and your other neighbor? get the law in I say, but until then just keep the dog in or on a good strong leash, I feel for you, I have lived near thugs and its not nice.

Thanks - - I hate losing my temper like that. I felt guilty about Betty. I'm thinking that I may have escalated the situation by yelling into his face. But he was nasty since the beginning with me being quiet. I thought that by nutting up instead this time would make  him quit being such a big jerk.

BTW nobody like these people. on either side of this place - the houses are empty. Across the street from the front of their house, one time my dog went and the lady was very sweet told me that she thinks this guy is grabbing her cats and sending them to the city pound.

I think she was being circumspect and that she really thinks this guys kills her cats - but she has  no proof. I don't see this jack-off taking the time and effort of placing a deposit of $25 for a cat trap, trapping the animal and then returning it to the pound.

It seems that when I'm stressed out - I write a lot (I used to draw). I've been writing all day without notes, a plan or an outline on a "what if".

It ends with a photo caption of a diabolical plot from Dr. Psychosis that involves a puppy bomb.

3. profile image0
    paxwillposted 11 years ago

Your neighbor's reaction is way out of line, but you are responsible for keeping your dog in your yard plain and simple.  If your pet keeps escaping from its harness, get a collar.  Try to look at the situation from your neighbor's point of view. To him, you are an irresponsible dog owner whose animal keeps getting loose in his yard. Electric shock collars aren't cruel, they are quite effective.  After a few little buzzes your dog will get the message and behave. 

I'm truly sorry you have to deal with a neighbor with a such a bad temper, but you need to be proactive and stop feeling sorry for yourself and your dog. It will all blow over after a while.  Good luck.

1. Reality Bytes profile image75
      Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

His opinion doe not give him the right to engage in illegal activities.  He can notify Law enforcement himself, but vigilante justice never ends well!

4. Reality Bytes profile image75
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

What he did was assault with a deadly weapon.  In my opinion you should consult with Law Enforcement, for your safety and that of your dog.

ps:  your doggy is adorable  smile

5. ptosis profile image68

I'm going to get a different harness that automatically tightens up and is made for dogs that pull.

I also looked into a collar that emits a painful sound. I tried dog whistles, even downloaded a bunch of tones at supersonic Hertz - but the dog doesn't react to them.

Plan to talk to a dog-trainer or two - Any hubbers who train dogs who can give me advice?

I have had this dog a a few months, it's 4 1/2 years old and I can't use harsh punishment on him - because he'll go into the shaking dog syndrome. The way I punished him yesterday after I took him in was put him in the closet with water for about 10 minutes, while I had to calm down.

I took the dog out out of the closet, held him in my arms and then used the leash to whip against the door jamb, saying sharply; "Bad!" Well that was a bad idea. Poor dog thought I was going to hit him. I think somewhere in his previous life he might have been abused.

So today, Chugs thinks everything is honky-Dory when I took him for a short walk because I've been babying him all day. He did his business and start pulling on the leash to check out for kitty -cats in the bushes. Knowing he is not going to listen to me with a soft voice and I did want him shaking with fear again with a sharp voice - I just picked him up to go back inside.

It's going to be awhile before I put him back on the long leash again. Planning to retrain  because he can walk beside with with a loose leash when he wants to. It's this damn lion-hunting instinct of Chugs that's going to hurt him.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
      mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Golly, whilst you sincerely do have my sympathies as to your horrid neghbour, I have to say you do have a load to learn about dog training. Firstly 'negative reinforcement' and 'punishing' a dog for bad behaviour is a really terrible way to try and achieve what you want to achieve in terms of training, and this is generally not recommended by modern dog trainers. Bad behaviour is best ignored or gently corrected, and good behaviour praised if you want results. Electric collars, another no no (illegal here in the UK from what I last heard), but you might do better with a 'citronella spray collar' that will emit a surprise squirt of citrus fragranced mist under the dogs nose when you hit the button on the remote control.

By shutting him in the closet you effectively punished him at a point where he had zero clue what he had done to upset you (it was way too late by then). You went on to confuse him further by letting him out and cuddling him , i.e. telling him he had done something right. You then hit the leash against the door and yelled 'bad' telling him he had done something wrong. How on earth can you expect a dog to understand all the mixed signals you are sending his way?

Watch some episodes of The Dog Whisperer with Cesar Millan as he knows exactly what to do in cases like this, as he says 'stay calm and assertive', so yelling and making loud noises like hitting doors with leashes is the last thing he would do. His website is: http://www.cesarsway.com/

Also I strongly recommend you enroll your dog and yourself in dog training classes and follow what they teach you. If necessary pay for a dog behaviorist to visit you privately and help you teach your dog to come when he is called and listen to you without the need for any aggression on your part.

You might also consider getting in touch with fellow Hubber Dubuquedogtrainer who does dog training professionally: http://dubuquedogtrainer.hubpages.com/

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61

Oh dear.......please do not use this kind of action against your dog again. Dogs do not learn from this kind of treatment except to fear you and to be confused.

Please, please, please treat your poor little dog with kindness. He is not a bad dog. He has no idea what he did to enrage you and now your relationship with your dog has been damaged. He will not want to come to you and may even want to escape.

We know that dogs do not learn well from punishment. Please read this position statement from the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior: http://www.avsabonline.org/avsabonline/ … 5.07-1.pdf

Please also read these two articles. The first is a summary in Science Daily about the research that was done on confrontational methods used with dogs and the second link is the actual research study:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 … 141540.htm
      http://vet.osu.edu/assets/pdf/hospital/ … rticle.pdf

You may have a crazy, violent neighbor, but please treat your dog with kindness. He didn't do anything wrong. He just runs off your property - against the law but not because he is a bad dog.

Please read this article about clicker training:
      http://www.animalinfo.com.au/fact_sheet … r_Training and this 2-part article on the same site about how to get started and teach your dog a simple behavior: http://www.animalinfo.com.au/fact_sheet … r_Training

You need to repair the relationship with your dog. I recommend starting clicker training and also hand feeding him his kibble daily for a couple of weeks. 

Also you need to take him for a walk off the property a minimum of once a day for his mental health, not just physical exercise.

I don't know off hand where you can find a small harness, but I have seen much smaller dogs with harnesses and I know those owners either found them in pet stores or ordered them online.

Teach your dog to walk nicely on a loose leash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFgtqgiAKoQ

Leave it (for example, cats): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNAOe1djDyc

Come when called - I don't know of a good video on this but could talk you through it if you call me on the phone

Wait at the door

Stay

And a few other things.

But mostly right now you just need to focus on keeping your dog safe and restoring your relationship.

One more thing I would recommend is the Anxiety Wrap since you mentioned your dog has shakiness from nervousness. I won't post the link to the company website because that might be considered "promotional," but I wrote a hub about pressure wraps and you can find the link there.

Hope this helps!

6. Maria Cecilia profile image81
    Maria Ceciliaposted 11 years ago

you have my sympathy and just like you I could possibly lost my mind and kill if that guy do that to my peso or pm.... I know you will be more careful now.

7. libby1970 profile image68
    libby1970posted 11 years ago

This young punk needs someone to put him in his place. I'd call the cops and let them deal with him! I'd make sure to keep my dog on my own property from now on...next time he may kill your dog!

I would never use a shock collar! As another person stated above...this doesn't help! If you use positive reinforcement you will get better results! When a dog does something good...give him a treat and a pet/praise... if he does something horrible--ignore him or just say NO NO!

I've trained all my dogs and they would stop on a dime for me! I always used postive training! I never spanked my dogs!

I can tell my dog to sit, lay down, stop, roll over, beg, fetch...whatever! He does it! I used treats and praise..and simple NO NOs when I started training him.

Is your yard fenced? I'm guessing not! I think I'd invest in a fence if I were you! Or I would be sure my dog's collar is full-proof that he can't escape! I have a large Boxer dog and he has only gotten off my leash once and all I had to do was say "Buster Stop".. he immediately stopped and layed down and waited on me! It was by a road and it could have been bad! I had always trained him if a car is coming to sit down away from the road... luckily he loves treats and did more and more of the things I needed for his treats!

Don't let this idiot ruin your life! He is probably enjoying the attention! It's probably the height of his existence! I would call the cops and give a formal complaint! What if they would have missed and hit the elderly lady? Seriously! I would call the cops in and forget about it! Keep your dog safe and get a much better collar! And start training your dog with treats and praises! You won't believe what all you can gain from doing some simple training methods! One you really need to do is teach him to stop when you say stop! Good Luck! And your dog is beautiful!

8. ptosis profile image68

I was told last night be a person who frequents this area ( not a friend - can you tell?)  who told me that he heard that I was stabbed.  Either this guy is telling people that he stabbed me for street cred - or the guy boasted that he would stab me.

Reminds me of "Blaine the Insane Train" in the Gunfighter series.

hhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaine_the_Mono

I would mention that to the police - get them to add it to your report.

9. ptosis profile image68

1Q509y7'klhttp://s3.hubimg.com/u/6710918_f248.jpg

I woke up @ 5:30am this morning, got dressed, walked the dog and the dog saw a cat in the front parking lot and wiggled out of this ultra tight harness that I sewed so that it wouldn't loosen.

Didn't even try to catch him, because Chugs treats it like a game. Went inside, warmed up some brisket B-B-Q as a lure, also warmed up in the micro a small bone from a pork chop and rubbed the grease on my ankles. I didn't look for the dog and started crying.

I needed to get an emergency roll of toilet paper out of my car and there was Chugs chasing after an imaginary cat in the bushes. I called Chugs over softly and opened the car like as if we were going to go for a hike. Picked up the dog and didn't scold it.

Brought Chuggers inside and let him have food and play as if nothing wrong happened. I just want the dog to come to me when loose. That's the most important thing.

I don't have money right now. But the next $50 I get from HP I'm going to pay $65 for dog training lessons.

I just glad there was no knifing, yelling, thumping and confrontation with the crazy young man next door. I think he taught the dog a lesson never to come back to his yard again. (hopefully).

Please don't say that - that he "taught the dog a lesson." Dogs don't learn that way and you r dog is not to blame for being a dog. I can see, if that's the harness you bought how your dog could have slipped out of it. Try to find one that has wider bands - look for one of those mesh ones. I think it's great you have your dog on a harness, but try to find a better one. It's hard to find good ones for small dogs, but from the list I posted here for you previously my client found one for her very small dog and ordered it online.

Dog training will cost you more than $65. When you do get the money, please go to a reward-based, positive reinforcement, force-free trainer, preferably a clicker trainer! This little dog doesn't need any more stress and neither do you!

10. Sphinxs Sanctum profile image59
    Sphinxs Sanctumposted 11 years ago

Do Not order a harness or buy one without your dog present!  Take your dog with you to a Petmart, Petco, Petsupermarket, etc...  Ask a manager to come help you PROPERLY FIT your dog for a new harness.  Don't accept the help from a young cashier or stocker, make sure it is a manager that KNOWS their products.  Every dog can be properly fitted.  Good Luck!

11. peeples profile image95
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Ok so I'm not taking the crazy nuts side but I have been on the side of a dog coming into my yard and I want to point out my opinion. In short control your dog and make sure the cat is a stray that they want gone. I have two strays that have been outside for 2 years that are like family. I have tried keeping them inside but they always escape. I have used my money to catch them and take them in for shots and spaying. I would be angry if someone hauled them off without at least talking to me. It is not the cat's fault it is a stray it is the owner who released them and didn't keep up with them. If the cat lives under their house you they could very well argue that it belongs to them and sue you or even press charges if you get rid of it without their permission. Secondly you said this isn't the first time your dog has gotten in their yard chasing the cat. I have a neighbor who's dog gets off a chain and chases my strays. It's annoying. Not that I would hurt a dog but I may if I thought it was a direct threat to the cats in my yard. I have thrown rocks at one who almost pinned a stray. I don't want to do it but I also don't want it hurting the cat. Have you talked to him about this cat? Maybe he is doing what he feels is best by protecting an animal on his property. Not saying your a bad person, just looking at it from the other side.

12. ptosis profile image68

I'm going to have to get a better harness  - that's all there is to it. Then no more escapes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)