New Theory on Traffic - The Dirty Snowball to Hell

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (36 posts)
  1. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 11 years ago

Gee wiz...what happened to janderson's posts?

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
      Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wondered myself, Sally.  Sorta spooky!  yikes

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

1. janderson99 profile image52
        janderson99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry I got told to leave HP by a prominent hubber, and did want to engage in a personal debate so I pulled the post.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
          paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hang in there. This too shall pass. smile

2. Randy Godwin profile image59

How dare you state your opinion you rookie!  lol  Don't let them get you down, Janderson!  Several years worth of work isn't easy to give up on, despite those suggesting one merely leave and go somewhere else.  I know,  I've been exposed to the same attitude by staff before.  Of course they don't like hard questions here.  It's a business!  smile

I have a large stake in this business
            575 hubs in 24 months
            175 hubs since Jan 2012
            So making it work better matters to me!

Exactly!  So, big deal!  You've worked hard to get ahead and tried earnestly to adhere to the guidelines for years and someone says "Why are you still here if you don't like the way things are? Just accept you've wasted your time and ease on down the road.  No harm done!"  lol  Cold, brother!  smile

No, you have a right to complain if things aren't handled well here.  There are always those who will criticize you for it though.  More of my experience learned on other sites.  smile

3. Sally's Trove profile image78
          Sally's Troveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Prominent hubber? There are none of those. Unless you let them be that. Just speak your stuff. The worst/best thing that can happen to you is that you get banned from forums. I haven't yet, but maybe one day, and that will suit me fine.

Well said, Sally!  No one should be afraid to state their views when something is their business too.  And I have been banned on several occasions for daring to speak out about things I found less than pleasing here.  The last time was for 4 weeks.  Worth every second of it!  smile

Why is a snake so smart?

Because you can't pull its leg.

As you might have guessed, that is not the first time I've been referred to as a "smart asp", Para!  yikes

2. Sally's Trove profile image78
              Sally's Troveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well said. smile

2. Nouveau Skeptic profile image63
    Nouveau Skepticposted 11 years ago

You got asked why you stay when you seem very disatisfied--which is rather a different thing from demanding that you leave,

1. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's pretty much what I was about to write.  Thanks for saying it for me, Nouveau.

2. janderson99 profile image52

Pass!

3. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

An old snake goes to see his Doctor. "Doc, I need something for my eyes...can't see well these days". The Doc fixes him up with a pair of glasses and tells him to return in 2 weeks. The snake comes back in 2 weeks and tells the doctor he's very depressed. Doc says, "What's the problem...didn't the glasses help you?" "The glasses are fine doc, I just discovered I've been living with a water hose the past 2 years!"

Hisssssss!  lol

4. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

"Sorry I got told to leave HP by a prominent hubber"

There are a few types of "prominent" hubbers.

1. "Success" stories whose graphs show a clear and huge decline in traffic.

2. Those who spend a large time in the forums trying to get pointless followers.

3. The usual variety of forum pondlife.

For what it's worth - I wanted to read the OP.  It might have had an interesting angle on things - make a change from 99% of the garbage posted on here.

The point I made was this:

The traffic for older hubs has declined - you only have to view the success stories ( www.hubpages.com/success and click 'read more') to confirm this. There are a number of reasons for this - with copied and competing articles eventually swamping the original high ranking articles. Even Paul E has confirmed that the Google 'freshness factor' has been ramped up so older hubs get lower ranks. This means that the notion of spending hours and hours writing huge well-researched 'evergreen hubs' may not be effective anymore (here today, gone tomorrow).

I have only been able to sustain my traffic and earnings by writing more and more hubs. I slowed down over the last month and my traffic has fallen 20%. The same is true of Hubpages itself - the total traffic has been trending down despite the hundreds or thousands of hub that are added each day. HP traffic should be going up.

Lets call the poor quality hubs dirt. As the snow ball rolls along the good white stuff (evergreen quality hubs) inside degrades and the snowball picks up more and more dirt as it rolls along. HP does not have a quality standard or a 'spun detector' and so a lot of dirt is picked up all the time.

Copied stuff on other sites is also dirt. Because of the 'related hubs' listed with every hub, there is a risk that every hub will get tainted by being linked to a 'dirty neighbour'. This dirties everything.

What does this mean?
      => If HP does not introduce a 'dirt filter' and stop the universal links to 'related dirty hubs', most of the hubs you write will have a limited shelf life (perhaps 6-12 months). Google wants fresh stuff as well.
      => If you want to sustain an income from HP you will have to keep writing more and more hubs all the time. If you stop - income will fall. Rewriting may work, refreshing may work, but probably not.
      => Given this, the new focus could be to set up several specific accounts and to write quick hubs of moderate quality rather than huge 'evergreen ones'. There is a trade off here because Google definitely likes large numbers of hubs within a sub. Small subs take a while to work.
      => There are other choices - perhaps the 'leaves' may stay greener on other sites or your own websites. But there is definitely a choice to make. The writing is on the wall. The GAME has changed.

The END

PS Writing 4 hubs in 6 months is not a badge of commitment.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!  It was worth a read, and it's a fine analogy.

Sorry you missed the OP, Mark.  But others felt the need to criticize the criticism.  There are always those types on any writing site.  smile

I learn far more from people moaning than from people saying everything is all fine and dandy.

If someone can remember even just one partial sentence from the op, we can probably find a copy...

5. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 11 years ago

I would say the OP has 575 reasons to stay and the time invested in producing them.

6. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

The motives and reasoning behind what is, or even just appears to be, criticism are often misinterpreted.  Some people who "present concerns" (or "challenges" or "observations") are often trying to share (and maybe contribute to analysis of a problem or help figure out a solution) or else get feedback or just have a discussion that covers all angles.  Over the last few years I've become so aware of "certain people" (in offline life) seeming to misinterpet/misunderstand things I've said that "aren't all puppy-dogs-and-daisies" but that really aren't "tearing down" at all either), I'm now in the habit of making my neutral observation or else less than "all is OK-dokey" remark and making sure to follow it with, "...not complaining - just observing".  These days, I've just learned, too, not to keep it to the few who tend to misinterpret.  I just add to that to most things I say that get anywhere near "the far edge of neutral-or-nicer".   lol

+1

Yep, there are some folks who never learn how to agree to disagree. big_smile

1. Lisa HW profile image61
        Lisa HWposted 11 years agoin reply to this

By the way, the above was just an observation - not a complaint or a criticism of anyone or anything.      big_smile   As I said, I've learned to throw in that remark as often as possible now.   smile

Well, I have never been so upset or horrified by a post.  For you to say something like that just beggars belief. I have only now stopped shaking enough to be able to type.

I agree. And I not only flagged the post, I sent HP an emergency email.

Well, er, I have called the police.

Wished I'd thought of that. lol

Reported!!!  lol

7. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

lol  Unfortunately, I've seen from personal experience that there's a good chance they'll show up - and in two or three police cars.  (Long story for anyone not familiar with it - and God knows I try to make as many people as familiar with it as I can  lol, but - boy - there can be a real down side to having too much faith in the idea that communication actually leads to understanding.   lol  )

I don't understand?  sad 

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)