Someone contacts you through Hubpages and asks for your real name

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (25 posts)
  1. NateB11 profile image87
    NateB11posted 11 years ago

So, I get an email, person says he/she wants to use one of my hubs for a school project, but needs my full name. Person's language sounds like he/she is an adult. On the email it says email address is unverified. Do notice I've gotten more traffic lately to that particular hub. What would you do? I know this: If I email them back and give them my full name, they'll then have my full name, plus they'll have my email address.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 11 years agoin reply to this

i think it is odd they need your full name...i wouldn't give them my full name.  you could respond with another email address since you should have their address.

2. Aficionada profile image80
      Aficionadaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have been asked by several people either for information or to use something from one of my hubs, and I have never been asked by them for my real name (except in the case of one Hubber who paid me to do some work - a totally different situation!).

If I were you, I would open a second e-mail account that does not identify you and respond from that account.  You can copy and paste the information from the first e-mail into the new account.  I would give them permission to use the material, if that is what you choose to do, but ask them for more information from them before you give your actual name - name of school, location, grade, teacher's name, that sort of thing. 

It's not an unreasonable request, but if you are not comfortable doing it then you shouldn't.  Also, that sort of request could always be made by someone you don't trust.

3. MelissaBarrett profile image59
      MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your real name is Nathan S**** B******o.  Count the stars you'll know I've got it right.

I can also tell you your email address, your physical address, your phone number and where you graduated college from.

You are in your early 40's...  I know your exact age but it would be both rude and giving too much info to tell it.

I found this out in about 10 minutes.

Just to put things in perspective.  Anonymous ends the second you develop an online presence.

1. recommend1 profile image61
        recommend1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

This may be so - but it still stands that he should not give his name and email.   Those in the business of collecting this kind of information will not spend 10 minutes, they are sending generic emails as fast as they can bring up the name and click on the send button - fishing with a big net, not a hook and line.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59

True that...  but I had his name in 30 seconds...  Still it's not a good idea to give the information out willingly and easily.  I just don't want him lulled into a false sense of security.

True that   -   On the up side, I looked online for myself recently and found more conflicting and erroneous information than true,  there appear to be huge advantages in having a slightly uncommon name  big_smile

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59

*Grins*  I gave up any hopes of anonymous years ago when I realized that not even a restraining order and court protection was going to keep a certain special person in my life from knowing where I lived as long as the internet existed.  I just go ahead and use my real name and you could easily find my real address (although you will NEVER find my phone number... I draw the line at midnight phone calls).  Still there is much fun to be had by having a slightly common name too smile...  I've had that special someone throw stuff up at me that he found on the internet that was so not me that it was laughable.

4. courtyB3 profile image60
      courtyB3posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Legally, if they are going to refer to your article they need to go by your "by line" which is essentially your hub ID. No need for them to ask for that. Some might not be aware. i know when i was in college it is a huge deal for plagiarism issues and people want to cover their butts as much as possible.

NateB11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is very good to know and makes sense. I was thinking they just need to use the name on the hub.

5. jeolmoz2 profile image56
      jeolmoz2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with the PANDA "NEVER respond with you true email or name", but do reply to see if legit and keep rest of Hub Community informed as to results, in the event it's not legit advise us, so we don't fall same trap...the link to your Hub and fictitious name should be more than enough for you get the proper credit

2. NateB11 profile image87

I am thinking the same thing. I see no reason they need my full name. It's strange. They can give a link to the hub, use info from the hub, use the pseudonym, etc. They don't need my real name to reference the hub for a school project.

3. recommend1 profile image61
    recommend1posted 11 years ago

It is possible it is genuine but far more likely they are email spammers.  I unwisely responded to an innocent sounding request in regards to one of my hubs and my spam email increased dramatically - I responded to a forum 'friend' who sent private message - and my email spam increased dramtically again.

NEVER respond with you true email or name.

okay...i'll remember that you cuddly panda!.........yikes lol...i promise my message did not create spam!

Your messages are different SOH, hitting on Pandas is always permissable big_smile

lol  ...xo

4. NateB11 profile image87

Thank you. This is exactly what I thought was happening, and now knowing of your experience it confirms my suspicions.

5. SmartAndFun profile image93
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

How about humoring the person requesting your name by sending them a completely false name from a throwaway email account? Might be a fun experiment to see whether or not you start getting a bunch of spam in that account.

I like that idea.

6. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

Do what you feel is right for you.  The name on my HubPages account is my real name.  I want it that way because in my former work as a reporter.  I stand behind what I write, and I am proud of what I do.  At the same time, I am approachable.  I used to work at three California prisons.  Most people in that line of business shy away from giving out their addresses and phone numbers.  Yet, for $14.99 someone can easily find me.  Here, I have been approached for use of my Hubs.  Some Hubber had a friend who was starting an online magazine.  I never followed up on it.  The Hubs I write are for HubPages and Hubpages alone.  Unless I decided to use one or two as a way to pitch an editor of my choice.

I'm going to be honest: My first inclination was to email them my real name right away. I'm not an "on the look out for scams,etc." kind of guy. My roomie came in the room, I read her the message enthusiastically, she said, "Wait a minute. Why do they want your name?" etc. I was even thinking of using my real name on my Hubpage too (soon that will be a new feature here); now I'm re-thinking the whole thing. I definitely don't mind someone using my hub for a school project. But that they need my last name seems unnecessary and, so, fishy.

7. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

Could it possibly be that this person is unsure how to cite your article without having a real author name? Perhaps the instructions they received about citation do not deal with the issue of someone writing under a Web ID?

1. SmartAndFun profile image93
      SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's what I was thinking it might be. It seems like giving them any old first and last name would work. I doubt this person's teacher is going to do any detective work to find out whether or not the name of the author matches up to the hubber's profile name. But if what CourtyB is saying is true, the student needs to use the profile name and doesn't need NateB11's real name, anyway.

2. NateB11 profile image87

That is possible. Only thing is I'm pretty sure this is an adult who contacted me, the teacher if the whole thing is legit. The language of the email message was pretty sophisticated, like an adult wrote it.

8. AlanRimmer profile image67
    AlanRimmerposted 11 years ago

I go along with the idea of setting up an email address with a pen name that is close enough to your Hub ID to avoid giving too much away and replying via that to put out the feelers. Email addresses are regularly used in this way when interacting on the internet to avoid overburdening private inboxes with spam. Worth a try to see if the whole thing is genuine or not before going ahead. You can always decide if it is necessary to give your real name at a later date if it progresses into a regular thing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)