What Do You Know About Basil, Delicious Recipe For Homemade Pesto

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)
  1. crazyhorsesghost profile image71
    crazyhorsesghostposted 11 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6950248_f248.jpg

Basil is a member of the mint family, this easy to grow herb has a strong, pungent, peppery flavor that reminds me of licorice and cloves. It can range in color from green to purple, and it's usually available at your local supermarket either dried or fresh.

It's always been a key ingredient Mediterranean cooking and it is widely grown in the southern United States.

Fresh basil is easy to grow, so if you have a bumper crop I suggest you make pesto. I grow the heirloom purple basil and I often make it into a delicious homemade pesto and toss that pasta with some homemade pasta.

My Pesto Recipe

1. Two Cups Fresh Basil Leaves.
    2. One Fourth Cup Chopped Fine Walnuts.
    3. One Fourth Cup Olive Oil.
    4. Two Tablespoons Fresh Minced Garlic.
    5. One Teaspoon Sea Salt.
    6. One Fourth Cup Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese.
    7. Two Tablespoons Freshly Grated Romano Cheese.

Process all your ingredients in your food processor and then toss some of the pesto with fresh cooked pasta for a delicious meal.

Yes I know most people and recipes say use pine nuts. But I think the walnuts are much better.

You can keep fresh made pesto in a covered container in the refrigerator for two weeks.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6950295_f248.jpg

Homemade Pesto on Pasta

2. novascotiamiss profile image71
    novascotiamissposted 11 years ago

I've never made pesto with walnut before but it certainly sounds interesting. I'll have to try it out some time.  I just made some pesto yesterday with blanched almonds. I use them instead of pine nuts as they are a lot cheaper. Also pine nuts from China have been known to be contaminated which caused some people to have a bad metallic taste in their mouth, which they could hardly get rid off. I usually make quite a bit of pesto and I put it into small dishes and freeze it for later use. I don't have a mortar and pestlel. I use a small food processor in which I chop the almonds, basil and garlic together. This works quick and easy and I find that in this way I can make a bigger quantity.

3. crazyhorsesghost profile image71

Yes food processors are perfect. I bought a supply of 4 oz. plastic cups with lids and that is the perfect size for a pan of pasta. I can fill those cups and freeze them and have pasta with pesto in just a few minutes. I also like to use almonds sometimes. Especially toasted almonds.

4. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

This would make a great hub if not already one. I love basil. We planted our first basil this year and chose the purple kind. It smells great! We are just figuring out what all we can with it though. For now it's only being used in marinades and as air freshener in the bathroom.

crazyhorsesghostposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I do have a hub similar to this. And several on basil.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6950768_f248.jpg

In this photo you see purple basil which has a lot more flavor than regular green basil. It is great for pesto or for making basil vinegar.

How To Make Basil Vinegar

Buy a good quality bottle of apple cider vinegar and pour part of your vinegar out into a bowl. Wash several large sprigs of basil off under cold running water and then push them into the bottle of apple cider vinegar. Use a small funnel and refill the bottle with the saved vinegar and seal tightly. Let it set for at least two weeks before you use it. Longer if you can.

Here's a great time saving tip. Make quick work of slicing fresh basil by rolling up a small bunch of leaves and snip into shreds with kitchen shears. To chop simply snip the shreds cross ways.

1. peeples profile image94
        peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, I think I may make some basil vinegar tonight to store for my salads. Didn't know it was that easy!

5. crazyhorsesghost profile image71

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6950847_f248.jpg

Basil, Pesto Perpetuo

One great thing about this lemon flavored basil is that this variety doesn't flower so you don't have to keep snipping the flowers off all summer. And this lemon flavored basil makes a wonderful pesto that goes really great with seafood dishes.

Basil , Tomato , Feta Salad

I like to make this recipe and people love it.

1. Two Cups Fresh Basil Washed Under Cold Water And Cut Up Fine.
    2. Two Cups Diced Heirloom Tomatoes.
    3. One Fourth Cup Feta Cheese Crumbles.
    4. Two Tablespoons Basil Vinegar.
    5. Two Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
    6. One Fourth Cup Large Homemade Garlic Croutons.
    7. Salt and Pepper to taste.

This is truly one of the best salads you'll ever eat.

It's really delicious. I serve it on chilled salad plates and people love it.

6. crazyhorsesghost profile image71

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6950906_f248.jpg

A laundry rack or clothes drying rack makes a perfect rack to dry your fresh herbs like basil on. Use large wooden clothes pins to keep your small bundles of herbs on the rack and you can set the rack of drying herbs out in the sun and bring it in or on a porch in case their is a danger of rain.

When the herbs are dry put each small bundle of dried herbs in a brown paper bag and write the date and whats in the bag on the outside of the bag with a black magic marker. Bags of fresh dried herbs make excellent gifts.

7. Thelma Alberts profile image91
    Thelma Albertsposted 11 years ago

I love this forum as it gives a lot of informations not only about basil but also making pesto for the pasta. Great info Guys. Thanks.

crazyhorsesghostposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your very welcome and thanks for your thanks

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)