Just Getting Started

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Jeani Nugent profile image70
    Jeani Nugentposted 11 years ago

Hello! My name is Jeani and I am brand new to Hubpages. I got started at the suggestion of my uncle and father, both of whom post on here. I have always enjoyed writing and after working with online schools the last 5 years am looking for ways to continue working online. I have had a few leads with online writing jobs, all have commended me on my writing ability and then asked for examples of my "online work". In an attempt to gain experience I have started a blog and posting on hubpages.

As a teacher I truly understand the benefits and value constructive feedback and hope to gain some from the forum. Any suggestions or feedback on my hubs, writing or ways to increase followers/traffic is welcomed and very appreciated.

Here are links to the two hubs I have posted so far. I have set a personal goal of 3-4 hubs a week. I have also applied for the apprenticeship program and am waiting to hear back from that.

Positive Things to do While Unemployed
    http://jeaninugent.hubpages.com/hub/Jea … Unemployed

Inexpensive Ways to get Healthy
    http://jeaninugent.hubpages.com/hub/Jea … et-Healthy

1. Quilligrapher profile image73
      Quilligrapherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Jeani,
      Self-promotion in the forums is a violation of HubPages rules (Terms of Service). It is a common newbie error.  I advise you edit or delete references in your opening statement to your own works here or elsewhere if you can.
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg

Jeani Nugentposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh no! From reading other posts in this forum I thought this as a place you could post some of your initial hubs for critique...I didn't realize it was considered self-promotion, although now that you point it out it makes sense. I have tried looking for a way to edit my post to remove them but can't find an "edit" button like you have for hubs. Any suggestions on how to do this will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much for taking the time to point this out to me!
        Jeani

Ok, feeling a little better. Checked under HubPages FAQ under forums and found this as #5:

Promoting Hubs or other sites: This includes linking to your Hubs or any site that you have a vested interest in promoting. To be on safe side, we recommend that you establish a presence in the HubPages community before you post any links in the Forums. The only Forum you’re allowed to post links to a Hub in are the Weekly Topic Inspiration thread, and the Extreme Hub Makeover Forum, and only a few times for the latter if you’re a new user in order to solicit feedback.

Sounds like I am ok for this one time, but will definitely head your advice from here on forward smile

1. Quilligrapher profile image73
            Quilligrapherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jeani,
            Me bad sad for failing to notice the forum in which you posted.  Please disregard my comments as immaterial.
            http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg

No apology needed...I appreciate your willingness to watch out for a newbie smile

2. KevinTimothy profile image76
    KevinTimothyposted 11 years ago

Jeani,

Hello and welcome. My advice to recieve more traffic to your hubs is to perform some keyword research prior to publishing...not just on Hubpages but on ANY article directory. Hubpages is very respected by Google and other major search engines. Once your articles are optimized here its not long before you'll find one of your works on the first page of Google. Its quite an exhilarating feeling.

After you've published your articles on Hubpages, make sure that you link back to your hubs in some form from OTHER article directories. Focus on writing about what people are looking for (especially if you're writing for compensation).

For example, if you publish topic "A" on Hubpages, re-purpose topic "A" and publish it on another respected directory. Link the two to each other and continue this trend until your "web" expands. Keep them all relevant, though.

I hope that this helps and I wish you success on this AWESOME community. Take care.

Hi Kevin,
      Thank you so much for taking the time to share some advice with me. I love the idea of creating a web and appreciate your thoughts on how to do this.

Jeani

1. KevinTimothy profile image76
        KevinTimothyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome, Jeani.

3. Helena Ricketts profile image91
    Helena Rickettsposted 11 years ago

Hi Jeani!

Welcome to HubPages!

An online portfolio on this site is extremely useful for prospective clients to see you work in addition to any other blogs, etc. that you may already have out there.  I've used a few of my articles on here as examples for prospective clients.  Building an online portfolio takes time but once you do it, it's worth it's cyber weight in gold, so to speak.

This site has a slew of information available in the Learning Center.  It takes a while to read through everything but the information there is extremely valuable for not only HubPages, but any other online writing that you do.  I know sometimes it's hard to find on the site so I keep it bookmarked in my browser to easily find it later when I need it.  The url is: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/contents

You mentioned the Apprenticeship Program and I can tell you, it's excellent!  I'm actually in it right now and I love it.

Thanks Helena, I am going to bookmark the link for the learning center and take some time to look thru it. I am trying to post 30 hubs in 30 days to get started, read and comment on at least 2 hubs a day, and answer/write a few questions. Figure the more "writing" I do the easier things will seem.

Thanks for the info on the apprenticeship program, hoping to hear back from them soon smile

Jeani

4. webrevolve profile image68
    webrevolveposted 11 years ago

Hi Jeanie,

I'm in the same boat as you, so to speak. Apart from that I do not seem to have the same writing experience as you.
    Your farther and uncle were right to recommend you to HP's though, you have an excellent writing style. I really enjoyed reading your 'tips to getting healthy' post, as well as others. Which made a couple of comments on here and there.

Keep up the good work smile

Thank you for the comment. I have really liked this community, so far very encouraging and supportive. I am currently doing the 30 hubs in 30 days challenge and have been so pleased with some of the private emails I have gotten from people offering support and more importantly advice. Can't wait to check out your site smile

1. webrevolve profile image68
        webrevolveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your very welcome Jeani smile

Absolutely! everyone seems so nice and very easy to communicate no matter how experienced they are on here, which is great!
        Best of luck with that, I'll be checking up on you! haha

Cool! I'm working on writing up some new content at the moment actually, bare with me! smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)