Did anybody hate the apprenticeship program?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (55 posts)
  1. Sherry Hewins profile image93
    Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years ago

Did anybody hate the apprenticeship program?

One third of the first class dropped out. I understand that it was mostly because of the rigors of the program and personal time constraints. However, I've seen nothing but praise so far. I'd like to hear from someone who didn't like the program. Maybe if we see why someone didn't like it applicants will be better able to self-screen, and thus avoid taking a spot in the program when they will be unable or unwilling to finish.

2. Jlbowden profile image85
    Jlbowdenposted 11 years ago

Hello Sherry:

Trying to publish articles and greet newbies to our community, as part of the Elite Hubpages program and in between  trying to do my regular work schedule; is far too much on my plate at this moment to sign up for this program,as much as I would have liked to. That is mainly one of the reasons why I did not join, just as others had mentioned. Because of the time constraints and basic other rigors of the apprenticeship program.  I did not want to commit to something that I could not live up to with the rest of my peers. And I believe some may have bit off a bit more than they could chew,because of some of these reasons. Just my opinion and what I have heard from feedback of others involved in it.  However if you have the time, or was part of it, it is definitely one great way to hone your overall writing skills as a freelancer. And in addition a great way to make additional income and meet new friends.

Jlbowden

Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It sounds like a great program, it's just that there are not many things that are universally popular. It's good, if you don't think you can make the commitment, that you didn't apply.

3. AlexK2009 profile image85
    AlexK2009posted 11 years ago

I did not apply for it as it would have had to  treat it as a full time job which is not possible at this time.  Even if I had joined and carried out the commitment I would probably have damaged my health.

It seems to me some of these program are aimed at young single obsessives with chronic insomnia.

1. K9keystrokes profile image83
      K9keystrokesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am an old, partnered, love to sleep gal, I managed to make it through!  It has more to do with setting a goal and measuring up regardless of age and such.
      Cheers~

2. Sherry Hewins profile image93

It sounds like you made the right move for you.

3. cardelean profile image86
      cardeleanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well I'm not young (although not old either), married, mom of a 4 and 5 year old, and a full time teacher.  I think that K9 is right, it just depends on what kind of commitment you are able to make.  Although I admit to having insomnia at times!

4. Denise Handlon profile image85
      Denise Handlonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You two gals (K9 and Cardelean) are two great examples for writers who set the goal for themselves and stick to it!  Bravo to both of you.

4. howlermunkey profile image74
    howlermunkeyposted 11 years ago

I've been accepted and am currently on the wait list. Personally I'm excited. It will be alot, but, to me thats just motivation. I too have heard nothing but good things about the program. I need the help anyhow, as I am a total noob in the blogosphere haha. Someday I'll write a hub on what "not" to do lol.

1. GiancarloLorenzo profile image69
      GiancarloLorenzoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Same here.  Still waiting.

2. profile image0
      rmcleveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ditto. I was waitlisted a few months ago. As a freelance writer and blogger, I look forward to the increased income and authoritative learning curve. I'm sure it will be hard, but so was college.

3. Sherry Hewins profile image93

Good luck, I hope it's all you want it to be.

5. cclitgirl profile image91
    cclitgirlposted 11 years ago

I was part of that first class.  I can tell you that the hubs you write need to be high quality and you have until midnight on the last day of the month to get them done.  Though it is only 8 hubs, they can take up a lot of time to do.  You're encouraged to make videos, quizzes, table capsules and more.
    A lot of people dropped out for varying reasons.  The HP apprenticeship makes it very clear that no matter what happens, you have to complete 8 hubs by the end of the month or the system boots you out of the program.
    So, some people had medical issues, others had family issues, others cited the time involved along with other demands, and others just couldn't get to the 8 hubs for whatever reason.
    I know you asked for someone to answer who didn't like the program.  I definitely really liked it, but I just wanted to share why some people didn't make it.  I always thought of it like taking a college course - you have certain requirements and not everyone always makes it.  Plus, there's a lot of self-motivation involved.  You don't have anyone telling you to do the work (other than getting feedback from a mentor) - just a deadline at the end of the month.  People definitely managed their time differently, too.  Some published all through the month, others had hubs started and would wait until the last day to finish and publish them all. 
    I hope that helps. smile

1. K9keystrokes profile image83

It was a pleasure going through the program with you, CC! I will miss the intensity, yet treasure the experience!
      HubHugs my friend~

Thanks for the detailed answer. Congratulations on finishing. So far, I still have not found anybody who admits to hating it.

3. cardelean profile image86

Ditto K9's comment CC!

Congratulations to ALL of you who completed the program.  I know from my own perspective that the quality of the hubs was evident.  I am also aware of how rigorous a program it is becaue of the expectations.  Good luck with your decision.

6. K9keystrokes profile image83
    K9keystrokesposted 11 years ago

As part of the first class, I had a blast! There was so much to learn, great writers to meet, and better hubbing to encounter. In my opinion, it is the best opportunity for a HP community member to undergo. The mentors guided us through every aspect of the online writing process, while offering feedback (even when not the most pleasant thing to hear) that created an understanding for what creating online quality content really means.
    About one third of those who initially were accepted did not graduate--because of medical to personal reasons. It is an intense course of training, and something to be very serious about before deciding to take it on.
    The team members I was fortunate enough to work and learn with are now among those who are my dearest and closest friends on HP. I am honored to have gained such savvy brilliant comrades. I know that I can always go to them when I have a question or hesitation regarding hubs, seo, topics, feedback and just about anything else. For me, this is priceless!
    If there was anything I disliked during the training, it had to be finding out that my fingers do not type as fast as my brain thinks. Feedback about grammar and spelling errors were most unpleasant to discover as a weakness, but now something I take more care, when editing, to monitor. But, knowing now that this can be a weakness has made me a better author thanks to The Apprenticeship program mentors. Having their time and teachings was a wonderful gift.
    The experience is tough, but well worth it. If you get accepted, participate at your fullest ability; anything less and you will only be cheating yourself, and your team!

Happy Hubbing!

Thanks for sharing the parts of the program that were less pleasant for you. I know what you mean about having your errors pointed out. Not always fun, but needed sometimes,

2. cardelean profile image86

I agree with you K9.  The experience was invaluable, glad to have experienced it with you!

3. K9keystrokes profile image83

The honor is all mine, cara!

Okay K9-flying fingers can't keep up with blazing brain cells  Haha

7. adjkp25 profile image89
    adjkp25posted 11 years ago

I'm part of the second group and it has been very educational and informative, especially on how what we write here at HP will be found and viewed on the internet.

Our group had a few drop out as well but they were for personal reasons like adopting children or a house fire, certainly understandable why they had to bow out.

If you go into the program with an open mind, and are willing to learn, the program is great.  If you think it is easy you have another thing coming but I'm glad I did it.  I think you are going to have a hard time finding a bunch of people, in the program, who didn't like it.

Thanks for your answer. I'm not looking for a bunch, maybe one. One thing I've heard is that there are restrictions on what you can write about. Some people might chaff at that.

8. skye2day profile image67
    skye2dayposted 11 years ago

Sherry Thank you for the question. I just applied for the program this morning.  I truly hope to get the opportunity. For me it will be similar to a full time job. I have my sleeves pushed up, ready to go. This is a time in my life I do have time to take for my vision. I am glad to hear so many did complete and grew from the class. Where there is no vision the people perish. Hosea 4:6

Many Blessings at the hubs of love girl. skye2day

Good luck. One reason for my question is that I applied and was not chosen. With so many applying for the program now, some will be left out. I just think the more info people have going in, the better they can judge whether it's a good fit for them.

2. profile image0
      chrisinhawaiiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@ Sherry

Wait...you've written 60 hubs in 8 months, you were awarded a HubNugget and 3 HOTDs?  And you didn't get accepted?

I don't feel so bad now.

3. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I applied and was emailed  that so many people had applied for the program that they didn't have time to go through all the applicants. It doesn't sound like there is much of a chance for me.

4. Sherry Hewins profile image93

I think they're probably getting a huge flood of applicants now after this first group graduated. It may be a while before some of us get a chance. Guess I'll just have to muddle through on my own.

5. Denise Handlon profile image85

@Skye2day--good luck

@ Sherry--I'm sorry you did not get accepted.  That is disappointing.  I hope you try again ...

9. profile image0
    chrisinhawaiiposted 11 years ago

I didn't get accepted, either.  I guess I'm not a good enough writer boo-hoo sad

I cannot even imagine why anyone would actually hate it, though...

Some people hate school. In some ways it sounds a lot like school. With so many people applying, I don't think we should assume we're no good if we don't get in. I was told I hadn't written enough hubs, though some who got in wrote less.

10. My Esoteric profile image86
    My Esotericposted 11 years ago

Like some of the others, thanks for asking the question for I was wondering how the program was going.  I looked at it and also found that I wouldn't be able to commit the time to it; maybe when I retire for the third time given all of the great comments about it.

11. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

To answer your question about what we can't write, poems are not allowed (I'm not sure about fiction or humor). The site supports those things, but everything in the program is geared toward the type of informative hub that searches will seek, so learning about videos, maps, tables, polls, etc. is very relevant.

I'm in the second group, and I've learned from it and also enjoyed all the things others have mentioned here. It doesn't matter whether you're in the first group, second, eighth or whatever, you will have the same sense of bonding and support.

As with the first group, we've lost a few. Everyone who was enrolled demonstrated a lot of talent, and it was sad to lose 'family members' who had to adjust priorities or had a crisis mid-stream. We all have families, careers, many obligations and other things in life, and Life Happens.

It is well worth the journey, though, for those who want to learn SEO skills and better understand online publishing.

12. ChaplinSpeaks profile image93
    ChaplinSpeaksposted 11 years ago

I did not hate the program, but I am relieved it is over!  I did not do a good job pacing and had several hubs to write at the very end of each month.  I plan to only write 4 a month at this point.  So, if anyone joins, do not follow my example.  Instead, create a schedule to get at least 2 a week done.
    That said, I looked back at my first hubs from last year and can see a dramatic improvement in how I put a hub together.  The program is not about writing styles or skills, but about how to be successful writing online.  I learned a lot and value the friendships I made.

Congratulations on your graduation. I can see how it would be a relief to have the pressure off.

2. K9keystrokes profile image83

You are a great team mate, ChaplinSpeaks! Thanks for everything!

13. Getting Along profile image60
    Getting Alongposted 11 years ago

I don't know anything about this program.  Where can I find more information?

1. CassyLu1981 profile image75
      CassyLu1981posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The link below is all about it smile  It's a great program!!!!!

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Appr … ip-Program

2. Getting Along profile image60
      Getting Alongposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, CassyLu!

14. CassyLu1981 profile image75
    CassyLu1981posted 11 years ago

I am currently part of the apprenticeship program and it is incredible!!!!  We've had a few losses but we are still above 20 people smile  It really does take a lot of work to make incredible hubs and to do it while so many other things are going on in life.  August was a hard month for a lot of us this time around but buckling down and getting the 8 hubs done is all that really matters.  I'm so greatful to be part of the program right now.  There are some incredible people and I've learned a lot!!!  I hope everyone gets a chance to try it out.  It makes a huge difference!

I hope all the people in the program take full advantage of it. They are the lucky ones who made the cut. It sounds like you are making the most of your opportunity.

15. profile image0
    danielabramposted 11 years ago

I would love to be in the apprenticeship program. It is a huge honor and I believe you learn a lot. Must be committed though.

16. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 11 years ago

I just finished the program and I have to admit that I did not enjoy it. I didn't hate it, though.

I'm not usually super busy, so I took on the program with the intent to write more than the eight required hubs each month. This summer didn't really give me any extra time off -- I was out of town a lot.

Because of the lack of time and the immense pressure I put on myself to get them done, I feel like I just threw together hubs to meet the "bare minimum" requirements. It's not because the program was rigorous -- it's really NOT. It just boiled down to time constraints and to where I just didn't want to write at all anymore.

I didn't see a boost in traffic -- from my new hubs, anyway, one of my older hubs went viral in April and I got a huge, temporary traffic boost from that. My traffic is similar to what it was in December... so it's been a flat line, for the most part, since then. I probably don't see a decent boost because, yeah, my latest hubs aren't really ones I'm super proud of.

There is a lot that a Hubber can learn in the Apprenticeship program and I'm not saying it's a bad thing -- just my particular situation made things really hard. I'm the type of person who feels incredibly guilty when giving up in the middle of a project, so giving up wasn't an option. In hindsight, perhaps I should have declined the opportunity.

For those who are excited about the apprenticeship program, I want to let you know that it really is a good opportunity. If you didn't get accepted to the program, don't let your hopes get dashed -- you can seriously create your own makeshift program using the Learning Center. Write new hubs that follow what's outlined there and apply this information to older hubs as well.

Right now I'm just editing hubs, I probably won't write new ones for a while. I just don't feel it anymore. Perhaps after a decent cool-down period, I'll get the urge to really write again.

Congratulations on reaching your goal and completing the program. I'm sorry to hear that you've lost the urge to write. The part of the AP that would be hard to replicate is the feedback. I guess I could submit every hub to extreme hub makeover.

2. Denise Handlon profile image85

Congratulations Melbel.   Thanks for sharing your experience.  smile

17. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

I'm in the 4th month of the Apprenticeship program, and, overall, I love it. I can't imagine anything to hate in it, but, to answer your question, I will share what I find are the challenges, difficulties, and disappointments. I've just read all the other replies, and I'm not adding anything new, so maybe I can consolidate an idea that will help with your question about self-screening.

I think the key in self-screening is personal commitment to the direction of writing on HubPages for money, self-discipline, time management, and the ability to manage or master one's life in the face of personal situations and illness. Since I'm a life coach, I not only face these issues myself, but help my clients through them.

The gifts of the Apprenticeship program are many, and I'm a total fan. But that's not what you asked about.

The time commitment is, for me, the biggest challenge.

I appreciate the call to do excellent writing, but others may find that overwhelming, or a challenge.

Those with limited time may find it quite hard to do 8 hubs a month and make sure that 2 or 3 of them are excellent. I actually did 24 the first month, but, due to personal issues, barely got 8 done in July and August. And I'm a very fast writer.
    Not seeing a jump or clear growth pattern in advertising earnings is disappointing. Logically, I wasn't expecting it, but maybe emotionally I was counting on it. And then to have to keep writing while feeling disappointed. Hard! I handle this by committing to, and planning for, the long haul.
    Learning to use all the different writing tools is great for me, but some might find it difficult or a hassle.
    It is very challenging to find topics to write about, making sure that they are titles that are likely to do well on Google. I'm keeping at that, but it's tough.
    I feel like I haven't found a niche I can really grow in yet, and that's frustrating.
    Embracing several social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest) is essential to my success, and not really interesting to me. I learned that in the Apprenticeship program, but it's not really a part of the program; it's just a fact of the life of an Internet writer.
    Not being able to write freely on spirituality, or publish stories or poetry for the length of the program is hard for me, for sure.
    Having to think about each article, "will this do well as a money-maker" is hard for me. (But I've already learned that being a free spirit and hoping for success as a writer doesn't pay the mortgage.

Thanks for you answer, it's interesting that you mentioned not seeing a jump in earnings. I'd be curious to know how you're supposed to tell what's going to make money. For me it's always been a total surprise which hubs do well.

2. SidKemp profile image85
      SidKempposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sherry: There's no short or simple answer to that one. Any business is a machine with many parts. I'm still learning to tune all the gears!

18. profile image0
    mjkearnposted 11 years ago

Hi Sherry,

I've read your question and see that you have asked to hear from someone who didn't like the AP for the reason of self-screening.

The programme requires at least 8 quality hubs per month as well as active interaction with your team, along with a yearning to learn.

You raise an admirable point about not taking a place for the sake of it and I wouldn't think a genuine hubber would do this or even think of it. As has been said a lot already, many started with the best intentions and life constraints and mishaps have taken their toll.

I am new to online writing and HP is, like many, my first attempt. I'm in the group that has just started this September and it would appear that we are minus 1 already.

I have read every entry in the Learning Centre at least once and still feel that I know precious little about the whole online writing industry. The introduction of the AP, I think, is fabulous and HP deserve much credit for it. I like to think of it like an employer investing in their staff by way of training.

I would encourage anyone who is genuine about becoming an online writer, wants to improve, to learn and thinks they can meet the minimum 8 hub requirement, to apply to the AP.

What other site would say, if you are serious about becoming better, we the experts are here to help you. This sort of instruction would cost you an arm and a leg anywhere else.

I for one say, cheers HP and thank you so much for the opportunity.

Am I aware of what is in store for me on the AP, absolutely not. Can I guess, absolutely yes. I expect to be critiqued, called to order, kicked up the ass, recieve feedback that makes me question me and above all learn a lot.

To this end I have challenged myself to write a hub a day for the duration of the AP and one for luck. If my sums are correct this should equate to 182 hubs in 181 days.

Will I make this goal? I honestly don't know. Am I determined? Probably the most stubborn little man on the planet.

I'd love to answer this question in 6 months if it is still open but suffice to say that at the moment I'm excited to be part of the AP and I will definitely give it my best.

Is my 182 hub goal insanity? Very possibly but I know I will give it every chance having publicly announced my intention. So here goes and bring it on and "what the heck have I done",

MJ.

Good luck to you and your class.

19. ithabise profile image74
    ithabiseposted 11 years ago

I was part of the first class and did not continue. I enjoyed the program, the people and the education, but it was slightly much to handle with other things on the plate. Eight hubs may not seem like much (and it isn't when I look at the seven I've composed over the last two weeks), but the expectations can be. I don't necessarily attribute that to the program leaders, but rather self-imposed expectations of what might be expected of you. You want to do well. I love to write but I was sitting at the desk at all times. Phone callers simply began to ask, "What are you doing, writing?" Well yeah. And I hate to say this but the chore of it sapped my enjoyment. I could've continued but I didn't. Yet I've taken so much away from it. If only one thing--good SEO--it has kick-started my own learning process. I advise people not to enter it, a wonderful opportunity, until you're sure you can handle it.

1. SidKemp profile image85
      SidKempposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, ithabise! I love writing, yet, in months 2 thru 4 of the Apprenticeship Program, the "chore" issue up for me, too. Your words give me some language around this & make it easier.

Thanks, I was hoping someone who dropped out of the program would answer. I was wondering if the pressure to write, and the rules, might make it less fun.

20. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

I have not and probably never will sign up for the program, because learning how to insert videos, charts, etc, are way at the bottom of my list. As a news reporter for 16 years, I saw the quality of my still pictures go down because of a slight shake in my hands. That would show up in video. I on HB to write. I use art to break up the type. I was considered to be an expert at newspaper design at one time. Writing Hubs is different than writing news and that might be of interest, but the other class material, as I understand it, would not interest me. If you do not read my hubs because my writing is bad, I can accept that. If you skip over me because I do not have a video or a pie chart, then that bothers me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)