A Weight Loss A-Ha Moment and Motivator

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)
  1. talfonso profile image84
    talfonsoposted 11 years ago

In the past few weeks, my relative harped me about my weight. I mean, I love her and she takes care of me, but having her harangue me for that (and not eating right and exercising) really hurts. I understand that she's concerned that my obesity is killing me but those comments?

Each time she would harp me about my weight, I'd hate myself even more. I'd look at myself - my belly, hips, thighs, and butt - and I'd dread each one of it. I'd feel so worthless that I'd want to run away.

I don't hate my body as much, mainly because at that time I found out why I tried so hard in not losing weight. I was not just uncommitted to exercising almost everyday and eating healthy. I was hating myself. I was blaming myself for getting to big because I agreed with my relative that I let myself get that way. I was beating up myself for not exercising enough.

I do Oxycise and do the breathing with gusto and good form, but my relative says that it's not enough. Apologies for trying to pleasing her, but I do it with the conventional workouts. You know, the cardio machines, core training, and weights. And didn't I mention that I hate real exercise?

I did some Emotional Freedom Technique tapping (EFT) and plenty of affirmations and I started loving myself again. I promised to start each day affirming that I love myself even if I'm at my "fat" weight. I found that loving myself is just as important as exercise and sensible eating to make me lose weight.

If you are losing weight, start your day loving and appreciating yourself no matter how you weigh. You'll be motivated to exercise and eat right.

2. AnniesHealthTalk profile image74
    AnniesHealthTalkposted 11 years ago

Oh dear, you are so right about loving yourself :-)
    Sometimes that's the hardest part. But once you start exercising and eating right because you love yourself rather than because you hate yourself, that's when you'll see permanent changes in lifestyle. And exercise and healthy eating go hand-in-hand. The more you exercise, the more you'll easily make the right food decisions, and the more you eat healthy food, the more you'll feel like exercising.

3. ftclick profile image57
    ftclickposted 11 years ago

There always seems to be sensitive button in today's society not that I am 70 yrs old but you gotta more thick skinned or walk away from fanatics or acknowledge them & move on. They may be going through a work-out 2hrs a day phase.
    Your friend may be a person who tries to be their best in everything, job, career, relationships, fitness, food choices etc.  You can't fault her for that especially if you are chomping down 800 calorie meal in a few minutes ( I am not saying you are or did) but that is when a reality check comes in.

She wants you to be better or how you were and not lose sight of the benefits of weight loss. It is a proven fact, people who are at a normal weight are happier than those overweight. Although, the exercise freaks do have stress so as I am writing this there are some benefits. There is some great food out there junk food included I gotta have at least once a month.

For what its worth, nobody will have a perfect body, maybe 1% do, and I do not strive for that. I just want to stay healthy in mind and body. Lots of people hate real exercise. I found that a nice 1 mile walk will do wonders each day. (look at the French people for advice). Eat small portions, do "some" yoga" it does take off weight in areas where it's really hard to lose.
    Good luck

4. profile image0
    ksinllposted 11 years ago

Yes sometimes negativity can hold you back and prevent you from wanting to do something. For any goal it is better to focus on the positive, the end results. I like to change my workout routines up and find things I enjoy doing like dancing workouts or yoga is kind of fun. Sometimes a nice brisk walk around the neighborhood is enjoyable and gets your body energized. I like to focus on how eating right and exercising makes me feel. After working out, you feel better and ready to take on the day. After a nutricious meal I feel better. When I eat too much of one thing like carbs or sugar, I don't feel as well. When I eat balanced, my body responds better.

5. jclaffee profile image68
    jclaffeeposted 11 years ago

I'm glad you came to realize that the right perspective starts from within. Exercise and health is about the mental as much as the physical. I think that in time you will learn to appreciate and possibly even enjoy exercise. If you keep up the proper perspective on self I'd say it's likely that one day you could become a tremendous encouragement to others who identify with your struggles. I'm sorry you've so poorly about yourself in the past. There's no reason to return to that mentality, you have a lot to love yourself for. Never give up, you have a big fan here. Good luck.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)