Tell me your HubPages success stories and make me smile

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Spacey Gracey profile image39
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

I am having a bad day - I've been ill for a week, son #2 has now been ill for a month, husband came home yesterday full of despair at not getting promotion and much needed pay rise.

So this morning I gave myself my usual half-baked pep talk about my new 'career' online. Then came on HP for a general trawl through hubs and forums for tips and experiences, and all I found this morning was a ton of bad news stories about people spending 100s of hours to earn $60 a month.

Help me out people - I don't want to know your secrets because I'm trying to find my own way. I just want to know what successes you are all celebrating right now. Maybe if I join in your celebrations I'll cheer up.

1. waynet profile image68
      waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have no Hubpage success stories, except that I work part time online and Hubpages is a small part of that!

Except that traffic is increasing with my hubpages and my adsense earnings aswell as Amazon and Ebay, just need to test a bit more with some product type hubpages, but I still like it here, so that's a success on Hubpages part.

Spacey Graceyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like it here too - I am thinking of HubPages as my 'learning phase', and so far I have learnt a lot thanks to people like you. I'm just having a doubting day - have read far too many scams, and sad stories of people falling for them. So need to spend more time hanging out in the HP forum to restore my belief that hard work + willingness to learn + time = income.

2. pinkboxer profile image59
      pinkboxerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Spacey Gracey, The only success story I have at this point is how Hubpages, the Hubpage Team, and other experienced Hubbers have helped me to continue to grow as a writer. I am also new to Hubpages. I decided early that I would just occupy my mind with the writing. If I could focus on writing quality hubs that encouraged and informed others, I was a success! I am also being patient through my steep learning curve on Hubpages. Faith. Patience. As other Hubbers have confirmed, the money will come over time for us, too.

Please read my hubs on adversity. This challenging time has only opened up a new door for you!

God bless...

Pinkboxer

3. Ultimate Hubber profile image70
      Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years agoin reply to this

HubPages is like getting paid for your work more than once.
      As you already know that it is not a get rich quick thing and once the number and search engine rankings of your hubs increase and you develop some more blogs of your own, you can earn a living by working online but it can take years.

2. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

I work full time... don't spend as much time as I should do on what I do here on line... This is not a get rich scheme, or my route to future financial independence....

But I am happy, I have managed to publish 19 hubs which I am fairly proud of.. if they earn money in the future as people search them I will be very happy, if not I am sure that they will help someone out there...

3. englightenedsoul profile image58
    englightenedsoulposted 13 years ago

Spacey gracey cheer up and I wish you and your family a speedy recovery.  I do have a personal success story to share, I hope it will cheer you up and give you hope.

I was born and brought up by my grandparents in a remote Indian village, studied there till 12th grade and as the village didn't had any further education facilities shifted to Bombay to complete my graduation.  It was then that I was introduced to the world of internet.  I mean I had used a computer before and even heard of internet(Mostly how it is eating up jobs of people in India), but it was my brother who introduced me to the countless possibilities internet provides to express yourself and earn.  Luckily enough hubpages was the first site I signed up for.  It has been six months now and I am on track to achieve my goals.  I have reached $100 in adsense in less than six months and I don't think i have invested that amount of time.  I mean hubpages never affected my college or my job.  So definitely my ROI is as per my expectation.  I am certain that my next payout will be within the next 35 days.  I just want amazon to work for me.

Anyways have a nice day and cheer up.  Life is too short to be sad.

4. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

Well my latest success type story is that I have made my largest sales with amazon recently. It was even bigger then the hair loss make up (that was my prior biggest sale). I managed to flog a bunch of climbing hand holds and a bunch of other climbing stuff . I must have inspired someone to build their own climbing wall . It actually bumped me up to the next % tier level. Not long ago I had my first sales with my online shop as well so I feel like I am finally getting a good web presence established with earning potential across the board.. It has only taken most of a year smile

Thanks Kirsten - I needed that - and I bet its done loads for your self-belief too.

1. kirstenblog profile image78
        kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's pretty sweet, I have had confidence the whole time but I am impatient to see results (it spurs me to keep going really) and I love those cha ching days big_smile

5. Spacey Gracey profile image39

Thanks people - I've had some chocolate and more painkillers so my mood has improved. I liked your story EnlightenedSoul - and if I ever got Amazon to bring in proper money for me, I wil be in touch to tell you how I did it.

Pink Boxer - I've just become a fan - I have a pink boxing glove keyring that is very special to me, and a mum who is a Pink Boxing middle weight smile I will read the hubs you recommended. I'm pretty good at staying cheerful through adversity, and coping with lifes dramas. Its my self-doubt that lets me down, that nagging feeling of 'what if I am not on the right path'. I'd better stop rambling on or I am in danger of recruiting you as my own personal spiritual guide smile

1. pinkboxer profile image59
      pinkboxerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol. Just read my hubs. They will encourage you. Believe in you.

FYI, I have just purchased my first pair of pink boxing gloves. Tell your Mum hello for me. Keep your joy...

6. maruthirp profile image59
    maruthirpposted 13 years ago

I am very new taht is just 7 days on hubpages but surely can say that i am a lot successful in making good hubs. I had enough good response too from other hubbers and i shall be very thankful to them who gave me a huge courage.

7. Jule Romans profile image96
    Jule Romansposted 13 years ago

I noticed something on my adsense account that might help. I had set my address as my profile page. When I changed it to hubpages.com, my earnings went up. Don't know if it was a fluke, but check that.

Also, Amazon is finicky. Hang in there. Perhaps branch out into some other avenues while you are waiting?

8. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

Hang in there, SpaceyGracey.  Most of us have been through (or are still going through - like me) the same thing as you.  It takes time and patience and WORK for this to build. 

I started a forum topic a couple of days ago on tips for newbies, and there are some good ideas there.  One of my tips was on the value of self-promotion and linking, which I'm really not very good at.  Still, every time I use the Suggest Links tool for Hubs or post an article link to my Facebook account, I see the traffic rise.  After a slow first couple of months, the rise in traffic has been accelerating noticeably.

Also, as admirable as it is for you to want to find your own way here, there's no need to reinvent the wheel with each new Hubber (big_smile unintended pun big_smile).  Take advantage of what others have learned when you can.  A lot of the tips will be things that are  simply not for you at all, or perhaps just not for you right now, but maybe later. 

I hope you and your son get healthy very soon, and I hope things will work out better (also soon) for your husband's work!  In the meantime, treat yourselves well and keep reminding yourself that healing and growth don't happen overnight.

When I said I was trying to find my own way - I didn't mean I wasn't learning from others - just that I wasn't one of those hubbers that writes one hub, goes to the makeover page and says 'hey I wrote this two days ago and I'm still not rich, what's up?' smile

In the last 2 months I've on spent 100 hours+ HP and I reckon at least 30 of those hours have been reading forums and hubs and advice. It is amazing how contradictory all that stuff is because what works for some doesn't work for everyone. So I read it, think about it, then let it influence me, but still go my own way, if you see what I mean.

Its so helpful that people on HP are so open with their experiences.

9. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

One more thing....

I just went to another forum and read Cagsil's "Payout Time Again????????"  If you want a success story, go check it out!  Very encouraging.

10. wyanjen profile image71
    wyanjenposted 13 years ago

HubPages is not the only site I'm focusing on.

That sentence alone is a success story.
    I started here less than a year ago knowing nothing.

I'm only able to do this part time, so it looks like I'm going slow.
    I'm a skeptic, I need to see proof (lol) and I definitely see it.
    I've been doing what the pros say. My traffic and earnings are growing weekly, just as the pros say.

Keyword research is critical
    Hubs take time to season/marinate/age
    Spend more time working on the hub after it is written than you spend actually writing it (backlink it)
    Treat this like a business
    Quantity can pay, but quality will really pay

You joined two months ago. I have a hub, written five months ago, that is just now getting steady traffic and lots of clicks.
    Unfortunately it has a bad keyword, so my clicks are only ranging from 33¢ to 1¢.
    {everybody snickers}

Hang in there and keep working. 100+ hours won't pay off... for a few months. But it will.

11. wyanjen profile image71
    wyanjenposted 13 years ago

~ another success:
    I wrote a hub for the Hubbalicious contest last week, and I today I see that somebody bought some vanilla beans from it.

big_smile

12. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

I made several good friends here - does it count as a success? wink

1. wyanjen profile image71
      wyanjenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

big_smile
      absolutely yes.

2. Spacey Gracey profile image39

Yes Misha - especially if you count me among them smile

I have met some lovely people here - and they are a lot more fun to chat to than the mums at the school-gate.

13. NaomiR profile image74
    NaomiRposted 13 years ago

I'm sorry to hear that your family is going through a rough time now and hope that things turn around soon.

I can't say that I'm the greatest Hub success story as I'm not one of those who are making a thousand per month, but as a "Hub hobbyist," I enjoy writing about topics I like and then making money. I don't get as much traffic or Adsense $$ as I'd like, probably because I don't always write about commercial topics. I tend to write a lot of travel hubs and while I get good money off of individual clicks from them, I just don't get a lot of clicks on them period. I mean, not everyone is visiting Tromso, Norway, go figure, LOL! Still, I managed to reach my payout for Adsense in about 7 months and am well on my way to getting my next $100.

Meantime, I've had some success with Amazon, especially around Christmas and Valentine's Day. But I've also sold some big-ticket items throughout the rest of the year.

The trick is to do what the Hub experts keeps advising -- writing good quality hubs, adding a lot of links and backlinking. I'm not a great business person, but if even *I* can make some extra cash, there's hope for you!

Good luck.

14. Spacey Gracey profile image39

Thanks NaomiR - I like your hubs - hopefully Tromso will host a massive international sports event and your hub will be Google #1 when people start researching the place.

15. Spacey Gracey profile image39

wyanjen I love your answers thanks. People like you who have been here a bit longer than me and share their experiences with the newbies, help me see into my crystal ball.

I love watching the random stuff people buy on Amazon. This week I sold the most hideous piece of garden furniture but someone loved it enough to buy it so thats good enough for me.

16. Mutiny92 profile image66
    Mutiny92posted 13 years ago

I have made a few bucks in my 3 months here. I put the money as extra principal on my mortgage each month. It seemed appropriate putting this residual income on a compounded interest expense. I think it will knock some time off of my mortgage years down the road. For me, that is a great success story.

1. LauraVerderber profile image89
      LauraVerderberposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's inspiring and very disciplined of you. I would have taken that extra money and spent it! Have you figured out how many years you would save if you kept up that extra payment?

17. profile image0
    Tilecleaninghubposted 13 years ago

I have made consistently over 1k per month with only a few hours work a week on hubpages.  It is really easy just write a few hubs and start making money.  Only thing I have a problem with is what to do with all the extra cash.

JK my motivation is that I make more each month then the previous month.

1. Ricky Covit profile image57
      Ricky Covitposted 13 years agoin reply to this

same here I have had good success with hubs and I do make about 400 dollars a month from the hubs. Not a lot of money but yes the motivation is to make some more the next month.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)