What..., if ladies don't use any kind of beauty products for a month?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (38 posts)
  1. mrnasir profile image56
    mrnasirposted 11 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6974129_f248.jpg
    What outcome you expect?Will it be good or bad...(especially outside the house)
    Is beauty possible without beauty products?
    (Sorry ladies for this question)

1. WriteAngled profile image73
      WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What a stupid question!

What do you mean by "beauty products"?

If makeup and various creams and lotions, then I do not use those for months at a time.

I couldn't give a f__k about the "outcome".

Beauty has nothing to do with commercial products.

mrnasirposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for giving your opinion.
        "Beauty has nothing to do with commercial products."
        So what do you think, if ladies don't use beauty products for a month, nothing will happen? Everything will remain the same.
        Whether they use beauty products or not,their beauty will remain intact...

2. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There would only be one sane option...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7Ap4Db15USA/Th73nmnsQDI/AAAAAAAAAGs/ecewT4kTCys/s1600/__Gay+flag+flying.jpg

OK...

3. AnnaCia profile image77
      AnnaCiaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am so happy to say that I decide to use or not to use make-up depending on my time and the way a feel.

+1
        intelligent decision.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Of course it is.  Men will naturally go without shaving during the same period,

3. travel_man1971 profile image62
    travel_man1971posted 11 years ago

It's possible. Soap is enough to make a woman clean and attractive to her man.smile

Ohk, Nice

4. psycheskinner profile image84

The only beauty product i use regularly is an acne concealer.

5. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

I have done without makeup, hair color, and pantyhose for years, and I am still a cutie pie.  A cutie pie who has saved a wad of cash by not feeling the need to buy these beauty products!  What I save goes to my traveling.

6. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 11 years ago

I don't use beuty products; my hair gets washed daily with shampoo and my body with soap.

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Daily hair washing???

No way is that good for your hair!

Wetting, maybe, you can away with, but daily washing deprives the subcutaneous glands of a job.

I remember years ago reading an article in The Reader's Digest (of all places) that we don't actually need to wash our hair at all.

The compared humans to dogs. Possibly not the best comparison in the world, but the idea behind their hypothesis was that dogs' coats stay shiny bright on a good diet, regardless of doggie baths.

They said they had humans who trialled an extended period of not washing hair - brushing and grooming, wetting when they showered but not actually washing hair.

They said hair goes greasy at first, then dry, then greasy, then bounces with perfect health!

I tried it. I was in my 20s and I never washed my hair for about 6 months.

It did go greasy,lanky, yucky....then it perked up. All I had to do was brush it and it looked great! I have no idea if it smelt great but my husband did not complain!

Sorry, sidetracked the OP for a moment.

No I do not use beauty products. I did when I was young, and everyone said I was spoiling my youthful looks!

I got half price on the buses until I was 25 (cut-off age was 14) so I guess they were right.

Now? I couldn't care less at my age LOL

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've abused my hair for years, and it gets washed then plaited and that's it. I'm hoping if it gets long enough my husband will give up his "Don't cut your hair rule" and let me. If I don't wash it daily in winter I get bad dandruff anyway, I think due to how thick and heavy it is.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Funny you should mention dandruff. The general advice in all the mags in the 70s was that if you stick to the same hair shampoo product all the time, you won't get dandruff.

Head 'n Shoulders was a fairly new product on the market at the time, and it worked. Possibly because the users stuck to it!

Hair is there for abusing - yours is thick and long, and can take the punishment you throw at it!

Bet it still looks great, but when you feel like it, you get it cut, girl. It'll grow again smile

1. WryLilt profile image88

I've been using head & shoulders but it doesn't seem to do much. I think in winter that's just how my hair is. And before that I used the same product for years.

If I could cut it and never grow it again, I would!

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
              Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Try T-gel shampoo. I have a very dry scalp just as I have very dry skin and T-gel shampoo works for me. it doesn't smell very nice though.

2. WryLilt profile image88

Very seriously considering giving this a trial run. It would mean less work (I hate shampooing). And I do so love experimenting. My current trial involves trying every type of contraceptive over the next few years to see which is best.

How long did it take to "perk up"?

1. IzzyM profile image86

Guess you are talking about the non-washing thing?

I am struggling to remember as it was about 25 years ago, but I think it was in the 2-3 week range. Could have been a bit longer. You can always tie it back in a pony tail until it starts looking good on its own.

I wish I had kept the article as there is no trace of it online, and it was really interesting.

2. weekend profile image60
        weekendposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There's nothing wrong at all with washing hair everyday -- your opinion is in the dark ages. But only shampoo once if you get a good lather, and don't use too much shampoo.

I thought everyone knew that in this day and age!

1. sunforged profile image71
          sunforgedposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No - You are the one who is mistaken.

With about 30 seconds of research at any authoritative Dermatology or respected "Beauty" resource you would find that 2-3 times a week is the most common professional recommendation.

As previously mentioned - hair likes its natural oils, washing it away every day causes an increase in oil production.

On the other hand - going months without shampooing could cause acne for many people as the oils will turn into a nice place for bacteria to hang out in.

I thought everyone knew enough to do a quick google search before making haughty incorrect statements!

I'm still being overly general - as not all shampoos are equal and not all types of hair/skin types even require 2-3 times a week.

1. weekend profile image60
            weekendposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That, Sunforged, is what comes of taking notice of eHow articles. Never look to Google if you want accurate information.

An 'authoritative Dermatology or respected "Beauty" resource' is always in printed form, and my bookshelves are packed with such resources (not to mention those covering baked beans, guacamole and kitchen cupboards).

2. Hollie Thomas profile image61

When Wrylit said she had long thick hair this striked a cord with me. I'm older now, (clearly) but when I was young I had very thick, curly hair. I tried Head and Shoulders, tried the not washing thing and absolutely nothing worked. I was even told by my GP that I had Psoriasis in my scalp. After a consultation with a dermatologist I was told this was not the case, I just had a very dry scalp which needed to be treated properly and he recommended T-gel. My kids have even used it, it's quite gentle on the scalp, but they hate it because of the smell.

Suppose we all just have to find what works for us.

2. IzzyM profile image86

There is everything wrong with washing your hair every day!

Let's say you wash it because it tends to go greasy and lank, and your job requires you to look your best everyday, so you feel you have to keep washing.

What really happens is that those overactive sebaceous glands produce yet more oil under the stimulation of the washing.

You will very quickly get caught up in a spiral, where you HAVE to wash your hair everyday.

Getting out of that circle is almost impossible if your job requires you to look good at all times.

Better not to get into it. Wash your hair sparingly.

If, on the other hand, you have dry hair, washing everyday seems to dry it out even further. You might think the extra head massages you give yourself would mean the stimulation of the sebaceous glands to produce more oil, but it doesn't seem to work that way.

Obviously there are a lot more hormones at work, regulating those glands.

Don't you ever watch the dog food adverts?

Your dog's coat will be shiny and bright if you feed him X product? There is a truth in that. People who take a good, well-balanced diet have healthier looking hair.

I DO know what I am talking about. But if you choose to believe the advertising moguls that want to sell you hair products, you go ahead and ignore me!

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61

Yep, and years ago when I left school and was training to be a hairdresser, we were taught that most regular shampoos have a very high (can't remember if it was PH or acid level) and that they were basically so strong you could wind a perm on them. Especially Vosene and....Johnson's baby shampoo, of all products.

7. Healthy Pursuits profile image78
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 11 years ago

The concept of beauty was created and then applied to women long before most women wore any products except a few flowers or a cinched belt to enhance their attractiveness. It would probably take a while for men to become used to the genuine article, but I think they'd do it.

Ok,Good point.

8. Hollie Thomas profile image61
    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

My beauty regime is meticulous. I shower every day, wear clean clothes, but cannot live with out moisturizer. Hey, I'm pre-menopausal, my skin could be compared to that of a rhino. lol

9. Athena Clara profile image60
    Athena Claraposted 11 years ago

I actually get really annoyed when people assume beauty is equal to wearing makeup, heels, and fancy clothes... Upkeep is about hygiene, and beauty products include hygienic ones (waxing!  soap! moisturize!).  I really don't care if a woman dresses up, wears heels, and puts on makeup and perfume. 

It's about smelling clean, and looking groomed- if not for yourself, then for the sake of not offending others please maintain your hygiene.

Agree

10. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

So go ahead and get annoyed.  To think that every woman will wax her legs?  You're dreaming!

1. Athena Clara profile image60
      Athena Claraposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol noo the annoying was when people assume beauty means wearing lots of makeup and putting on heels versus hygiene like washing your body with soap and water in the shower... i threw in waxing in there as a hygiene thing, my mistake!!

11. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

I wish we could see each other with or without makeup.  I admire those who don't have to use makeup  My complexion is so light I look like a ghost without makeup. So I use it all.

12. cheaptrick profile image73
    cheaptrickposted 11 years ago

If ladies went without make up the playing field would be level,that's a good thing.Using make up is tantamount to deceit.Men are drawn to natural beauty[a Huge part of which colors her looks from the Inside]and instinctively take her seriously as a life mate.
    I like make up on woman who want to"Party",but a life mate shouldn't need it to keep a guys attention...though it is fun during"Naughty night"with your mate.Simply embracing her femininity is the most powerful attraction a woman can possess...and they all are born with that...Oh,and men will fight wars for it too.

Interesting point.

13. psycheskinner profile image84

I think makeup is just a subculture thing, almost no one I know where's it.

But dandruff is just a symptom, it is caused by many things including medical condition. People who think ever condition has a really simple cure are belittling the experience of those who have struggled with a persistent problem and tried pretty much everything to improve it. Like people who say I wouldn't have avma at 40 if I just washed my face--basically implying I an both dirty and rather dim.

14. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 11 years ago

whatever makes you feel confident about yourself is ok

as long as I am clean, that will do for me. Sometimes I use lip stick when I attend special occassion

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)