Blair and Bush to face prosecution at the Hague?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

Recently, Desmond Tutu has refused to appear at conference in South Africa because Tony Blair will be present. Tutu has also made clear his feelings about George Bush and Tony Blair and their involvement in the Iraq war, calling for both to be brought before the ICC to face charges. Do you believe that either Bush or Blair will ever be brought before the courts? Do you believe they should be?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/stor … 57534404/1

1. Jeff Berndt profile image74
      Jeff Berndtposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Will they be? Nope. They're leaders of powerful western nations. The only people who get taken before the Hague are defeated dictators of fallen regimes.

Should they be? Well, I dunno. I don't think they used their power very responsibly or for the greater good, but I also don't think they could really be called "war criminals."

For Bush, you'd have to prove that he was aware of the atrocities committed by US troops at AbuGhraib and either approved of them or did not act to end them (I think omission of action might count as a crime here, but I'm not a lawyer). There's a lot of plausible deniability.

At the same time, I'm not sure what the standard for proving guilt is at the Hague. I'm used to "beyond a reasonable doubt" as the standard, so I imagine that it would be really hard to convict either Bush or Blair.

Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree, but I'm also thinking along the lines of detainees and Gitmo. It would be difficult for the Bush administration to deny that there was a fair bit of manoeuvring on their part, after all they ensured that Gitmo was outside the Geneva Convention prior to transferring detainees there. And Bush openly admits that if faced with the same situation he would authorise water boarding, again.

These two factors alone might be evidence of intent to commit war crimes. I know, there's no real consensus as to whether water boarding is considered torture *sighs* But, from what I understand, there's no legislation that states it isn't.

I will be really interesting to see what comes out of the UK Iraq inquiry.

1. JSChams profile image59
          JSChamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So why does Gitmo still exist?

1. Petra Vlah profile image61
            Petra Vlahposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Obama did not think through his first promise the day he took office and that is a shame

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60

My understanding is that Gitmo still exists because he got not get enough bipartisan support to close it down and that there were also other issues; some prisoners deemed to dangerous to release but not enough (or no) evidence to convict them;prisoners that could be released but no other countries willing to accept them; prisoners who may have not received a fair trial in a civilian court because the way everyone feels (understandably) about 9/11.

It was an admirable stance for BO to take but unfortunately not a workable one.

1. JSChams profile image59

Hey wouldn't it be a hoot if they got into office and found out....you know what there really are some BAD people down there. They aren't just random Arab goat herders rounded up and put there to satisfy the evil Bush. Most....most of them were in possession of weapons and were firing them at our troops.

Lesser beings would have just killed them and left their bodies lying in the sun. Have you ever seen how they live there? I don't have lots of those amenities.

JS calm down. You asked a question, I answered it. The perps of 9/11 should of course be prosecuted, but are you more interested in prosecuting the perps, or are you more interested in torturing Muslims? Where do you get the most....most of them were in possession of weapons and were firing them at our troops? Link? I'm really interested to know, because if that is the case then there is a case for bringing them to trial, not holding them indefinitely without trail. IF this is the case, then the argument that the US govt do not have any evidence is a complete fabrication, under both Bus and Obama.

What amenities, exactly, are you talking about?

JSChams
                  If those people had weapons (and I believe they did) is because a war was going on in THEIR country. Do you really expect them to fight with their bare hands? Who was the invader here?

2. JSChams profile image59

I am calm. I just get tired of the concept we are screwing with innocent people. You know better.

Sometimes we do screw with innocent people. Was the US diplomat guilty? He was screwed, he was trying, but there ARE Muslims and Arabs who try , too .For us to go on a tirade and blame a specific faith or nation is also unjustified, just like killing that man who was clearly trying to make a positive difference just because he was American is completely wrong.

3. JSChams profile image59

You think they were unarmed Hollie?
                  This was combat. They lost the battle. There are consequences.

They were also invaded, JS. If the US were invaded, wouldn't you also pick up arms to defend your family? And remember, Iraq was not even responsible for 9/11. How frightening must that be, when your country is bombed and invaded for an atrocity you didn't even commit?

2. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 11 years ago

It won't happen but it certainly would be just.

3. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 11 years ago

Okay I'll bite on this , No , they should never be brought up on charges , any more than president Obama should be ,  for contributing to and ignoring  the reality of Americas economic downfall  !

You mean Obama did not clean the mess fast enough?

4. JSChams profile image59
    JSChamsposted 11 years ago

You know there are a lot of other nations who have no business complaining about torture or detainment or any of these other arguments as some of them basically invented the concepts.
    It's been almost four years since George Bush was in office.
    What's wrong with Barack Obama and Eric Holder? They are stalwarts of truth and justice are they not?
    Why even the great Keith Olbermann intoned during the broadcast of the Obama inauguration as Bush was seen leaving"Officer.....arrest that man!"

The fact of the matter is they can't and won't do it for sketchy arguments of what is really criminal about the as well as the precedent you would set for the future. You don't want to make a crime out of something a politicina might want to use in the future....and don't think they wouldn't.

We know there are other countries that use torture, but we are supposed to be the ones to respect and enforce human rights.
      The way prisoners have been treated and the use of "enhanced interrogation" is a black eye for democracy

1. Reality Bytes profile image75
        Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If the United States desires the world to view it as a bastion of freedom and respect for the individual, we should lead by example!

That is right, and I wish that was the way US would have conducted itself, but it looks like the principle "Do as I say NOT as I DO" is what happens most often than not. It is precisely this type of hypocrisy that gets to me.

5. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

I'm with Petra on that one, torture can never be acceptable, it's also counterproductive.

6. profile image0

You must live in a cloud if you think clandestine intelligence isn't practiced by every free nation in the world , "torture " included.  And No Obama didn't clean up anything that Bush didnt start , excepting hope and change !  There has to be a place between healthy diplomatic relations and all out war ,between  any to nations -hence "spy's , intelligence and  counter intel  Those who can't understand this live in La La land !

Well then tell me, ahorseback, where does torture and diplomacy fit between healthy diplomatic relations and all out war? You must be living in a cloud if you honestly believe that someone who would never condone the use of torture, and I'm really interested to know why you feel that clandestine intelligence amounts to such, is not aware that it exists?

7. Jewels profile image81
    Jewelsposted 11 years ago

I believe they should face prosecution - something I had felt years ago.  They certainly shouldn't feel proud of their actions but I doubt they have any remorse.  I doubt it will happen unless there is a complete shift in thinking on this war of terror.

8. profile image0

Those of you who cant understand the use of covert operations , and yes even toture are living in a rose colored fish bowl !  Imagine if you will, how many Hitlers , how many Bin Ladins or Noriega's have been eliminated from the earth .  you live your lives and ideals far too  sheltered from reality . Ask yourself ,under what circumstance would waterboarding be okay ? Only if it was to find YOUR  kidnapped child ?  Get real , theres more "Torture " right on the streets of L.A. every day . The difference between Bush  and Obama : you wont hear about it under O's term ! Thats all,

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)