Non-Performing Hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (11 posts)
  1. David 470 profile image82
    David 470posted 11 years ago

Could non-performing hubs that are not getting views (and have never got many) be affecting how well my other hubs perform? Should I delete them and unpublish them? My traffic is not in a good position right now at all and I am trying to figure out what needs to be done. Last year around this time I was doing much better.

If deleting/unpublishing hubs helps others hubs or future hubs I write, then I will do it.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

According to HP, and apparently Google, the answer to your question is yes. You could, however, just unpublish and de-index. Then you can take your time as to what you wish to do with those particular hubs. As an example or two: I've transferred some hubs elsewhere; I've combined smaller hubs into one larger hub, etc.

2. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Theoretically this is the exact scenario that the new "idle" feature should address.

1. Dale Hyde profile image80
        Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That was my thoughts as well. I think I am done "tweaking" to please, lol.  I will see how my material is going say ten years from now with no more changes.  Maybe by then all of the tweaking requirements will have become null. smile

2. David 470 profile image82
        David 470posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I do not have many idle hubs, but honestly, I still think there are some hubs of  mine that need deleted/unpublished. These are hubs that basically gathered some views, but the number is not even close to significant. Some of them are from 2010 I believe.

1. aa lite profile image86
          aa liteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If Google identifies enough of your material as "low quality" it can decide that your whole subdomain is "bad", so a hub that would be on the first page of SERPs for a keyword, will be on page 2, or 3. 

This is what the idle hub policy is supposed to help with, but you say you don't have idled hubs.  The optimistic conclusion is that your hubs are not 'low quality' and your traffic drop is not caused by them.  The pessimistic conclusion is that the HP algo is not good at predicting what the Panda algo thinks is low quality.  From what I've seen with my sites, HP 'idle hub algo' is not just about traffic, and it definitely isn't about the hubscore, but nobody knows whether it can replicate the way Google identifies 'low quality".

My personal feeling is that successful hubbers' traffic drops are not caused by 'low quality' hubs on their accounts.  The declining traffic, which seems to affect the whole site is probably down to all the really bad stuff, in other subdomains.  When using hub hopper, there is a lot of obviously really bad stuff published, yet good hubbers are tweaking and scrutinising their hubs, trying to guess what detai could have offended Panda.  I reckon the falling traffic is down to the subdomains not working anymore in terms of isolating the good stuff from the bad. 

Personally I would just give the idle hub feature a chance to work.  It takes some time for Google to notice the no-index tags, and there has been no announcement about a Panda refresh, so I don't think it is surprising that we haven't seen any changes yet.  I would do nothing at least until Panda is next run, perhaps even longer if you can bear to wait.  If there is no improvement, then you could try deleting under performing hubs, that hadn't been idled,  I guess there is no harm in trying.

1. David 470 profile image82
            David 470posted 11 years agoin reply to this

A few of my hubs are idle, but not many -- only the ones that have never really seen views and generally have a low hubscore.

I don't understand, though, why are the subdomains not working? Hubs should be looked at individually by Google. If Google penalizes one hub, it should not affect several other hubs. This does not seem right....

When the subdomains first came out they seemed to be great (at least for me and some others) but now things seem different.

1. aa lite profile image86
              aa liteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But Panda is not about individual hubs, it is precisely about judging the site as a whole.  If a site is thought to provide a "poor user experience", it gets a penalty.  As I understand it, if say a hub would be normally be result 3 for a particular keyword, if the site has a Panda penalty, it will be demoted to position 13 (I'm just making these numbers up). 

Even if an individual hub is excellent, if a lot of the other hubs on that subdomain are bad, the excellent hub will not do as well as it should. 

I wasn't on HubPages when subdomains were first rolled out, but I understand a lot of people saw a big traffic gain, but that didn't last.  Nobody knows, perhaps Google changed the way it considered subdomain.  The problem (but also the advantage) with HubPages is that all the hubs are interlinked, through the directories and also through the links at the bottom of the page to other hubs.  If this produces a lot of links between good hubs and spam, that might make the subdomains work less well than they should.  I don't know why subdomains seemed to work well once and now they don't, but Google changes its algorithms all the time, so change is expected.  The permanent solution is to remove all the 'bad stuff'.  The problem is figuring out what the "bad stuff" is, some of it is immediately obvious, of course, but  some of it might be hard to understand.

1. Dame Scribe profile image57
                Dame Scribeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm also curious if anybody from HP who gets flagged as a 'spammer' and we all being associated with HP, get spanked too hmm  just a thought.

3. galleryofgrace profile image70
      galleryofgraceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's my understanding from other forums that Z'd hubs are already de-indexed so I don't see how they could affect  any other hubs.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

According to Paul E., it can take awhile before G discovers the noindex tag and follows its instructions. So, if you are in agreement with the Z, I'd recommend going to WMT and doining the URL removal yourself.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)