A question about international relations and the Muslim world.

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (27 posts)
  1. mio cid profile image60
    mio cidposted 11 years ago

So as i look at the recent events taking place in the Muslim world , with all the protests and attacks on US embassies , businesses,and institutions , and the alleged rape and murder of a US ambassador I wonder, so any book that is published, any article that is written,any tv show, or movie, anything anybody posts on the internet, anything in the field of art, communication ,education , and really any action taking place anywhere in the world has to be made sure not to offend any Muslim because otherwise  people will die.                           Religion of peace?Give me a f---ing break!

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Evidently.

2. Shinkicker profile image54
      Shinkickerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Don't be fooled that this is just about a movie. It's decades of anger at US foreign policy in the Middle East.

mio cidposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think this has more to do with extremist muslims than with the policies of the US in the middle east.

1. Shinkicker profile image54

The USA has funded and supported the repression of Arab people by their corrupt cronies such as Egypt and Saudi Arabia and elsewhere. It has also shielded the criminals in Israel from international law over their war crimes against Palestinians. That's extremism. This weekend we should remember the Sabra and Shatila massacres of 1982.

2. rhamson profile image70
          rhamsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The US planted this seed of discontent when it established Israel and contunues to back it no matter what it does to the region. You have generations and generations of hatred and upsetment that has been brewing that has never been addressed by Israel or the US. With Bebe Netanyahus' recent snub from Obama maybe the rest of the muslim world will catch a glimpse of some objectivity in the treatment of Israel with regards to Muslims.

2. ThompsonPen profile image66
        ThompsonPenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is true, but it's not all Muslims. After all, America and a lot of the Western world has asserted itself where it doesn't belong and basically walked into their living room and said "ok, this is your house, but we're going to tell you how you get to behave in it". We're not the police of the world. They are cultures that have been around for far longer than American culture, and we're just the know-it-all teens that are trying to play parent to an older generation.
        But yes, I agriee with you too mio cid, it does have to do with the extremists. and there are extremists in every country. Look at the KKK, or some very extreme religious lots that believe gay people should die, and in some cases will kill gay people (check out the Laremy Project. Most depressing story ever).

3. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is a religion of peace in that there are countries where it is entirely peaceful.  Ergo being Muslim is not what has made these people violent, or at least it was Islam and some other ingredient.

2. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Arab Spring seems a distant memory, doesn't it?

It does, but the fact that our counterparts are unable to join us into the twenty first century doesn't mean we should have  sided with tyrants and despots. Now I guess president obama will assess the situation and act accordingly.

1. Ericdierker profile image44
        Ericdierkerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What a vwonderful debate, the mere fact that we embrace it is awesome. All people have a right to self determination. Amen. How we make sausage is ugly but most of us like the product.
        My people around the globe thank you for caringl

3. profile image0
    LikaMarieposted 11 years ago

Well, from what I understood, the movie or what ever it was, didn't just paint the extremists or the terrorist group as being evil.  It was all about painting ALL Muslims and the whole faith of Islam as being evil.  That is what was offensive, and then used their language as subtitles to paint them as being hate mongers.

I think it's like saying that ALL Christians are evil because of the Holy Wars in Eastern Europe.  We wouldn't state that, would we?  And then it's an Arabic movie with English subtitles?  Would we be offended?  You bet.  With rightfulness.

I'm not saying that it's not okay to call out the extremes.  But to paint as a whole brush will cause for some backlash.  It's about the discrimination, not because it's a movie that shows some people are bad.

LikaMarie I understand your point,but being offended and outraged is one thing,even protesting against insulting portrayals of a faith or a people can be understood, but taking it to a point where people who had nothing to do with the offending action are raped, murdered, and dragged through the streets is a little too much .Christians engaged in these kind of behaviors centuries ago, these people are still living in that time.

rape, murder, dragged through the streets? It's happened to minorities in the USA not that long ago

1. ThompsonPen profile image66

It still happens.

The other thing to consider is their background. They (in Egypt any way) are in the midst of a complete political upheaval. Everything is changing. They are changing their policing system, their constitution - all sorts. And it wasn't too long ago, not even a year ago that the police were so corrupt that it wasn't uncommon for torture to occur. That is all changing at the moment, but with that as a background, knowing the only way to get heard, and that the probability of you getting arrested and tortured is high, wouldn't you make a very loud statement if you only had the one chance?

4. Xenonlit profile image60
    Xenonlitposted 11 years ago

I have a lot of mixed feelings.

I am angry at Saudi Arabia and other Muslim nations for demanding that we make anti Muslim speech a crime. I want to tell them that they will not get away with that arrogant demand.

We have battles with our own deviant religious monsters who want to change our laws in order to force  adherence to their deviant religious dogma. Oppressive Middle Eastern despots are  not welcome into our business right now.

I will remind American Christians about this: When have the Muslim nations insulted or blasphemed against Jesus? They are said to respect him as a great prophet. We could do the same out of respect for their prophet, even if we think that they have some despicable and sick civil societies.

The problem for Egypt is that they are paying for their mistreatment of their own Coptic Christians. It was their own native son who came to America and became a career criminal who aligned with extremists. They can have him back to deal with him there, leaving us out of it.

Most of us are as sick of him as we are of the Koran burning nutcase and other intolerant religious fanatics who support him.

As for Al Qaeda, they serve no good purpose and need to be wiped off the face of the Earth. Bring on the drones.

Agree with many of your points , and I'm sure the drones will be getting busy sooner rather than later.

However having said that, many of the protesters that are rallying in the streets and being a part of the "clash" that is happening in Egypt, hold signs which say that this will only strengthen the relationship of Christian and Muslims in Egypt.
      But I do agree that they don't get to demand what we make legal or illegal. Our country was founded on freedom of religion and freedom of speech. However, I don't think that this was an innocent film by any means, and I think it was made with malicious intent. That being my opinion, not fact mind you.

3. Shinkicker profile image54

Quote: "As for Al Qaeda, they serve no good purpose and need to be wiped off the face of the Earth. Bring on the drones."

Yeah? Dead easy that one. You've been watching too many movies. Those drones have slaughtered many innocent people. You should learn something properly combating terrorism. It starts with ending injustice and oppression which breeds the terrorism not firing lethal missiles

1. profile image0
        HowardBThinameposted 11 years agoin reply to this

SKicker - that's been proven wrong numerous times. What "injustice" are you talking about? What is in our power to end? Appeasement is viewed as weakness and it foster more extremism. Combating terrorism requires quick and decisive actions. Not pandering.

What injustice???

*US support for the illegal occupation of the Occupied Palestinian Territories
          * The overthrow of Mossadeq by the CIA and MI6 in Iran, 1953
          * US support for the repressive dictatorship of the Shah of Iran
          * CIA support of Suharto's slaughter of 200,000 in Moslem Indonesia in the 60's
          * The constant US veto in the UN supporting Israel's crimes
          * The American weapons that Israel uses to slaughter Palestinians and commit war crimes
          * The huge military arms support for Egyptian tyranny
          * The US backing for the elite Saudi Arabians, one of the most repressive regimes in the Middle East
          * The genocide of Iraqis initiated by Clinton with sanctions and continued by George W. Bush by illegal war
          * The lack of US support for the Bahrain Arab Spring
          * Constant threats against Iran by USA and Israel
          * Atrocities committed by G.I.'s in Afghanistan and Iraq
          * The killing of civilians by unmanned drones

5. Shil1978 profile image87
    Shil1978posted 11 years ago

I don't buy the "anger at US foreign policy in the Middle East" argument. That surely doesn't explain the reaction the Danish cartoons got. There were protests across the Islamic world to that as well resulting in hundreds of deaths (much of it were the protesters themselves I should add, who died in firing by the police in those countries).

Point being, if the "anger at US foreign policy in the Middle East" argument were to be believed, then one wonders what "injustices" or "crimes" the Danish Government perpetrated on Islamic countries or Muslims across the world?

I mean why should the United States or its policies be held responsible for the actions of ONE filmmaker? These generalizations are convenient and so are put forth without rhyme or reason. I don't want to speculate on why you have the sort of reactions you see in the Islamic world to this film, but it certainly isn't because of US policies. Religious figures and ideas are ridiculed across religions, but for some reason, it is only when it relates to Islam, does one see such reactions, unfortunately. It is sad and a cause for introspection in the Islamic community.

I mean if the folks who are protesting this (and some very violently) had just chosen to ignore this, this video wouldn't have gotten the amount of views or the attention that it has. It isn't a masterpiece of a film that was made, but it is getting more attention than it deserves because of the headlines it has been grabbing as a result of the totally disproportionate response it has gotten in the streets and among the protesters.

1. rhamson profile image70

It's like boiling a pot of water, it starts out as tolerable in the beginning when soon it becomes too hot to survive the heat. The same thing applies to the Middle East. At first the occupation of Palestine was tolerable and then the Israelis turned up the heat by taking more and more of it from the local people.Then you add an outside source such as the US supplying the arms and political arm and it is becomming a powderkeg.

The occupation of Palestine has never been tolerable. It has always been a brutal and illegal military occupation that breaches UN Resolutions, the Geneva Convention and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

1. rhamson profile image70

I meant tolerable by us the theives that gave away something we had no right to give away.

2. Shinkicker profile image54

Have you asked the Arabs about US foreign policy? They'll tell you it's precisely why there is anger over there. The Danish example is different, there hasn't been a long-term issue with that country unlike the USA

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)