I hope this isn't true...

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (35 posts)
  1. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 11 years ago

about a claim made against a group called "Catholics for Obama." Supposedly, they're calling Catholic voters in Ohio and telling them that Romney doesn't believe in Jesus Christ and that Obama is against a woman's right to choose.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/pet … holic-vote

I just found a warning about these calls on a Catholic website. They're expecting the push polls to be all over the country, evidently:

http://www.catholic.org/politics/story.php?id=47764

1. Dennis AuBuchon profile image62
      Dennis AuBuchonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I too hope this is not true for it brings a new low to the campaign.  I however think it will not be successful for the way Romney has conducted his campaign and professed his faith.  The actions of the administration with trying to force religious organizations to provide birth control pills is in the minds of Catholics.  While there may be some who will vote for Obama I do not believe there will be many.

Thanks for the question.

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for posting this, Habee - I'm  stunned at the blatant manipulation and lack of truth in the group's statements.

3. lone77star profile image71
      lone77starposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But Barry Soetoro (Obama) is Muslim and repeatedly has ridiculed Christ and Christianity.

4. dove777 profile image61
      dove777posted 11 years agoin reply to this

only stupid people would pick up the phone and beleive what a stranger tells them about their own church.

1. Whidbeywriter profile image80
        Whidbeywriterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with you, if this is true it is a new low for this campaign. But most people who have researched and seen Romney and how important his faith is will not buy this one bit.  Shame on them if it really is happening!

5. ptosis profile image68
      ptosisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

(1) It is most not likely true that a Catholic priest has parishioners calling because by becoming politically involved would lose tax exempt status as a church.

(2) Politics is war and the fog of war includes psych ops techniques whereas posing as the opposite and doing criminal or immoral acts. Think colonists dressed as natives during the tea tax protest in Boston.

Here's a historical on it here @ http://www.gonzalescannon.com/dave-mund … %99-things

In 1758, for example, one of the candidates for the Virginia Assembly helped create a rather “spirited” campaign. The candidate in question ordered his election agent -- campaign manager, in today’s parlance -- to get his hands on as much liquor as possible and to pour it into vats at the polls, and to encourage those showing up to vote to drink their fill.
      The happy voters were then reminded who had furnished the libations -- a young man with political aspirations named George Washington"

Art of Dirty Tricks, "the public’s misunderstanding / confusion of the role or title played at a “legitimate” publication or independent web site and their function / purpose in producing what you read!" http://www.lvtsg.com/imho/2012/06/the-a … ournalist/

6. Ralph Deeds profile image64
      Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If that's true it's too bad. However, the big money is being poured into ads and robo calls attacking Obama, Democratic House and Senate candidates and even state judicial candidates. I've received several scurrilous phone calls pushing lies about judicial and state Senate and House candidates (Michigan).

2. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 11 years ago

Although I don't often agree with his politics, I believe Obama is a decent person. I'm sure he wouldn't condone this, if it's really happening. In fact, the POTUS has said that Romney's religion is "off limits."
    I'm hoping a Catholic hubber who perhaps knows something about this will pop in with more info.

1. dove777 profile image61

I dont know what you mean by decent. He manipulates his voters over and over again, talking down to them, telling them what they want to hear, making promises he never keeps. Hes fake, hes condescending, hes a liar.

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Most politicians are.

2. pisean282311 profile image64
        pisean282311posted 11 years agoin reply to this

@dove sounds religion to me...anyways habee is right ...most politicians are like obama

3. Wayne Brown profile image81
    Wayne Brownposted 11 years ago

I would not count on those who surround the President to play by the rules.  Obama cannot afford a discussion of religion.  I believe his desire to opt out on Romney's religion is more a concern of protecting his own...whatever it is.  Afterall, when one has Rev. Wright and a proximity to the Muslim faith in their background, speaking badly of the Mormons is not a wise subject.  I equate the perspective some will take on Romney as a "Mormon" to be much like the fears rooted in JFK being "Catholic" back in the 60's....it was a slippery slope.  As we see here on the Hub, there are plenty folks out there willing to spread bad information if it shores if the vote for Obama.  In their mind, their intentions of wanting to re-elect Obama are "good" so they methods employed are justified.  What a sad correlation because all it does is create distraction from the real issues this country faces today in terms of economy, unemployment, private sector stagnation, and muddled foreign affairs.  Ohio, along with Florida, will be the final battlegrounds and it will get dirty whether Obama or Romeny desires to see it or not.  ~WB

4. ITcoach profile image57
    ITcoachposted 11 years ago

Off course I don't believe that Obama will think like this. It is just a rumour to drop his moral down. He is the president and can never think like this. May be in some people's point of view, it is just like they consider

5. Xenonlit profile image61
    Xenonlitposted 11 years ago

If people are stupid enough to believe the garbage that is floating around, then they have worse problems than wasting their votes on candidates who really despise them.

They are stupid in other areas of their lives, too. At some point, we just have to write them off.

6. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

I vaguely remembered seeing a poll that had Obama leading among Catholics already.

And there was the Nuns on the Bus speaker (she was awesome) at the DNC.

Here's some background.
    http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com … dolan.html

the nuns on the bus were going against the church authority in participating in that bus tour and the convention. Obama does not hold any values in common with true Catholics.

1. Josak profile image61
        Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Which is weird because he received the strong majority of Catholic votes last time and leads by about the same amount in this election amongst Catholic voters. Maybe it's what you have decided Catholics are or should be but evidently they disagree with you.

Im talking about the  real Catholics. Many call themselves Catholics but they disagree with the authority of the church and are not really catholics.

1. pisean282311 profile image64

@dove so there is hope...disagreeing with authority of church is real great news...m glad...wonderful...

7. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

As soon as someone claims to speak for the "REAL" anything, their credibility goes out the window.
    It is patently untrue that Obama does not hold any values in common with Catholics.
    Just as it is patently untrue that Paul Ryan, by virtue of his religious preference, automatically represents the "Catholic" vote. He does not.
    Biden is also Catholic, let's remember.

Catholics, like pretty much all voting blocs, are not single issue voters.
    Many Catholics are Democrats
    Many Catholics are women.
    Many Catholics do use birth control.
    Many Catholics are Hispanic
    Many Catholics are veterans or parents of military
    Many Catholics work with the poor
    Many Catholics are poor
    Some Catholics are also gay.

As such, many Catholics may see this election from different lenses.

The Vatican does not dictate who American citizens vote for. Neither the office of the POTUS, nor Congress, nor the SCOTUS, report to the Vatican.
    I thought we got all that clear with JFK.

Pope John Paul called america the culture of death, and he knew many so called catholics used contraception and got abortions and supported divorce and yet considered themselves catholic but I assure you, a real catholic walks the talk.

1. Josak profile image61

No apparently most Catholics can actually use their brains and think for themselves . Imagine that!

a person is free to do what they want, that is the plan designed by God but if someone raised catholic wants to venture out on their own and do their own thing and it contradicts what the church teaches, they are lying to themselves to call themselves  Roman Catholic because they have estranged themselves and are not following the rules and dogma of the Mother Church.

1. Josak profile image61

Actually that is not how ideology works, one does not have to toe the line of every supposed authority and be a mindless vassal to be considered of a certain ideology, for example one can be called a conservative even if say they believe in stimulus spending but hold other other opinions which make them conservative and the same goes for Catholics, one can be a Catholic and still think for oneself and come to one's own decisions.

It is a terrible thing to advocate dogmatic belief in anything.

1. psycheskinner profile image85
              psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Apart, i think, from some key ones which if openly stated will get you in trouble.

2. dove777 profile image61

Josack, a faithful Roman Catholic may or may not understand intellectually, the reasoning for all the teachings of what the church considers right or wrong living but obeys the church completely with faith. If they decide they dont agree with teachings and yet call themselves Roman Catholic they are mistaken, they should be honest and make up a new name for whatever religion they create for themselves. The catholic church is not a cafeteria where you pick what you want and ignore the rest.

1. Josak profile image61

This is a bizarre attitude to ideological alignment. We have a name for people who rigorously obey and believe every tenet of a faith, we call them fanatics or extremists, most Christians do not believe in stoning people to death for being gay, most liberals and conservatives object to some policies related to their ideology and accept some polices from the other side. Ideological belonging does not depend on automatons incapable of an original thought, that is the stuff of nightmares and it would mean that essentially no change can ever occur unless dictated from the very top. It's ridiculous.

This is the sort of belief that has led to all the most horrible periods of human existence, the acceptance without questioning no matter how evil or objectionable they might find the rule. No catholic should be like that, no one should be like that towards any ideology.

2. Mighty Mom profile image78
            Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Do you even go to church?
            Or does the pope come minister to you in your ivory tower of judgment, where your superior understanding of God's message and Christ's teachings locks you in and the real world out?

today there are less hypocrite catholics at mass, the social stigma toward missing mass is pretty obsolete so only the most dedicated people bother going. Priests in many parishs will not baptize a baby or continue to give the sacraments unless the parents prove to be consistant in church attendance, theyve had enough of the fake catholics using the church to throw big parties for their familys then never stepping into church again until the next party, the wedding, the christening, etc.... they should go away and stay away until they are ready to make a true commitment of faith, they can start their own church in the basements like many non denominational christians do...

2. psycheskinner profile image85
              psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It seems logical to me.  If a person does not agree with or follow most Catholic doctrine, how are they Catholic? That is like saying you are vegetarian but eating meat at most meals.

thats right psychskinner, I agree with your analogy!

2. profile image0
                Justsilvieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well lots of people say they are Christians, but don't seem to follow the teachings of Christ.

As a recovering Catholic I can only say the Mother church has become a wicked stepmother and anyone that can honestly let Rome dictate anything to them needs to learn how to think for themselves.

3. Ralph Deeds profile image64
                Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, your theory would decimate the Catholic Church in the U.S. and even more so in Europe. For example, don't most Catholic women practice contraception? Most of South America is nominally Catholic, but marital infidelity is rampant among men.

2. pisean282311 profile image64

@josak u r right...stats show that catholics for first time in their history are doing what u said smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)