Trolling a hub...seemly innocent but strange...need help

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Cara.R profile image65
    Cara.Rposted 11 years ago

I have been receiving messages on an article that are slowly seeming like I am being trolled. The last one made me think it was true; when the person wrote that they haven't heard from me in awhile. But why would they hear from me? I wrote the "how to" article and responded kindly each time. Now this person has commented 7 times. I am not sure how to handle this matter. This person is not insulting at all. However it is starting to seem like "she" is looking for attention. I noticed also, in all the comments and thanks she has sent, she is seemly traveling all over the world. Some things are not adding up and this last comment about not hearing from me is strange. I have not approved the last comment that was sent to me, despite the comment being seemly innocent. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.

1. mperrottet profile image81
      mperrottetposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think the interaction is a little obsessive, and that you would probably be better off not responding to this person anymore.   The remark about not having heard from you is a signal that something isn't right.

Cara.Rposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Mperrottet,
        I felt it was a bit strange, thanks for confirming that for me. I'm glad I didn't respond this time. I knew it was a popular topic so I didn't think much of it at first. When I received two new messages I first though, this is great. But then I thought it would be strange if it was from this particular guest commenter. When I checked the comments and it was this person, it took me that long to think something wasn't right.

2. janesix profile image61
      janesixposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah. I would ignore this person from now on.

That is a little creepy

Creepy...I thought so too ( laughing) the part that was tough to figure out was I thought most trolls were mean. It's like I forgot about people who try to befriend them to make them open up and get information out of them. This is my first time being trolled, possibly, and it reminds me of how the internet can be. Like the ugly side.

2. Christa Michelle profile image57
    Christa Michelleposted 11 years ago

You also don't know if it is really coming from the person you think it is. You never know who is on the other end of the computer. Be safe. God bless!

I was just posting to Janesix something similar, I never thought trolling could happen here too. A bit naive on my part, and not noticing sooner. I guess I was assuming that people who come to read articles wouldn't do that. Then it dawned on me of people who may stalk someone who as written something. Really anything where the person can contact you easily. Which is a huge sign.
      Thanks for the all the help!

3. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

It could even be a bot. I've got hundreds of variants of these messages caught in the spam filter in my blog, all of them only slightly reworded by a spinning algorithm:
    -- haven't heard from you in a while
    -- I notice a lot of typos on this site (not bally likely when I see three in the comment)
    -- what software do you use to make your blog? (It's at the bottom!)

All these messages sound like they were written by a human, but they are nearly word-for-word the same with synonym substitutions. After a while I wised up that it was just a way to get a comment approved so as to get the website's link attached to or part of the commenter's username.

You might have that bot targeting you. Bots can be programmed to respond and react to questions in a human-sounding way. Or maybe it really is a human troll.

1. janshares profile image94
      jansharesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow. I learned alot from these posts. I'm a newbie and didn't know anything about "trolls" and "bots." Sheeesh!

4. EGAD Call profile image60
    EGAD Callposted 11 years ago

Welcome to the masquerade fleamarket.

5. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

Here's one of many interesting examples:

Psychologist Robert Epstein discovers his online friend is a bot.

And here's a more benevolent bot. I had fun chatting A.L.I.C.E. in the late 90s, just because it was interesting to see how artificial intelligence was coming along. And I programmed her granddaddy Eliza on my very first computer in the early 80s.

Bots are fine as long as we know they're bots, but unfortunately, spammers and scammers use them now to try to fool us. And there's a LOT of them out there. A recent study suggests 10% of all web traffic is bots, although I'm having trouble digging out from news articles whether some of that traffic includes searchbots.

6. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 11 years ago

I browsed your Hubs, Cara.R, and I think I found the one you mean. From what I see, this is probably just a very lonely person who has become a bit overly attached, based on what she perceives to be common ground and your kind responses in the past. Maybe someone with poorly developed social skills? That is, unless "she" is a bot.

I have had a couple of similar experiences - not on a Hub, but through other channels. The people were actually quite nice, but they just seemed more needy than I could handle at the time. Maybe I didn't set clear boundaries early on. Or maybe they were people who were unaware of boundaries. Or maybe I just simply got tired and needed to move on.

In both instances, I basically (eventually) said something like this: "I won't be able to respond much for the next ___ days/weeks/months, because of some other responsibilities I am facing." Then, I made sure that I didn't respond to every one of their communications after that, but I did occasionally. That worked for me. But I wasn't dealing with bots, either.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)