Believers: Will Science Answering The Questions Change Your Mind?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (48 posts)
  1. Praetor profile image60
    Praetorposted 11 years ago

Everyday we get closer to answering the big questions: where did the Universe come from, how did life form on Earth, and what is the origin of humanity? Now, it appears that we're one step closer to answering at least one of the "Big Three": How Did Life Form On Earth.

Biochemists have been able to (and I'm summarizing here for the sake of brevity) use simple chemicals, that were present on Earth millions of years ago, to create the building blocks of RNA.

Physicists have discovered the Higgs boson (the "God particle") and are currently in the process of working to reproduce more in the LHC

My question is: once the answers have been found, once we've proven where life and the Universe came from, will you still believe in "God"?

Simple reaction makes the building blocks of a nucleic acid
    Higgs Boson Discovery Has Been Confirmed

1. kess profile image60
      kessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your question has a presupposed  answer. Why?

2. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Most believers can't even think let alone are interested in facts or evidence and will continue to believe in God no matter what facts or evidence are placed directly in front of them. We see that here daily.

1. Maestro9 profile image58
        Maestro9posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Cite a few example for us to evaluate, buddy. Otherwise quit making immature pun like that.

1. A Troubled Man profile image57

Evolution
          Biology
          Physics

smile

I said cite examples. Gives us a few phrases and links where you encountered those people and their arguments that you claim immune to evidence. Be precise, buddy.

3. tammybarnette profile image61
      tammybarnetteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Of course I would stiil believe, that goes without saying, but I just find it interesting about what you were saying about the newest scientific study, in my view, this supports the fact that God made us from the earth. I believe, science will eventually prove there is a God:)

1. getitrite profile image71
        getitriteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If a person insist on denying the truth, even when there is no other answer...well.....

So I assume you used the same scientific method that the top scientists used to draw this conclusion.  Can we see your findings?

Great.  Then maybe science can eventually prove who created God, and who created the creator of God, and who created...

1. tammybarnette profile image61
          tammybarnetteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My findings are in a book called the Bible. It has been around longer than your scientist, and he was the creator of your scientist. And one day all shall see, Hope I answered your question:)

Praetorposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes... I think your statement gives us all the answer we need about your point of view.

2. getitrite profile image71

Really???  That's your answer?  Most believers haven't even read the bible.  But I'm sure you have, since you answer with such confidence.

Can I please see your findings that conclude that God created these scientists?  Lest your assertions  be dismissed as lacking any credibility.  Since you assert that the scientific method is in agreement with your deity, you should have no problem demonstrating your conclusions.

No.  You have not answered anything.  But I think I have probably had enough.

4. Maestro9 profile image58

Science haven't provided the ultimate answers. So, you have no ground telling them to change their minds.

getitriteposted 11 years ago

Since religion is an addiction, and mental illness, there will always be a way for people, suffering from this affliction, to get the drugs they so desperately need.  Facts do not concern a fearful, deluded, sick mind.  This is a mental illness that has been imposed upon society, by a wretchedly deceptive authority.

Lemuel K. Washburn:
    "Most men would kill the truth if truth would kill their religion."

3. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 11 years ago

Has science's inability to answer some questions changed the minds of any nonbelievers?

Everyone wants answers. Believers and nonbelievers are simply people too impatient to wait for them.

It shouldn't change anyone's mind until it does provide answers. And, when you say 'inability to answer some questions' I can only assume that science one day will answer those questions, however some sort of obstacle or technology required to achieve the necessary experimental results is currently not available.

Sure, I would very much like to know how gravity works and am impatient to know those answers because there's a chance that may not happen in my lifetime.

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have full faith that, given enough time, we will find the answers to all of our questions. But, I do believe that insisting we know what we don't blinds us unnecessarily.

1. Jerami profile image59
          Jeramiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Both of these statements are more true than will ever know.                                                     Thinking that we know without a doubt, what we "know' we know, can also be misleading.
          For nothing is as it apears to be.
          I think that when/if we ever find (prove)   "the"   answers, we will find that there is but one answer which will put to rest all of our questions.   

If this answer were to be universaly accepted, It would be very detrimental for society as we know it. But not to worry, as long as science continues to search for answers to the established criteria, using the accepted methods, this secret is safe. And society will continue along the same path that it has been on for so long.  Sience will continue to find answers to the questions they are asking based upon what they think they already know.

Yes, as it causes many to believe in fairy tales and invoke invisible super beings as explanations.

1. profile image0

You classify one as of yet unproven belief as superior to another? Interesting.

I keep wondering and hoping that one day you'll actually not use your own words in an argument.

1. profile image0

And I keep hoping you'll be honest about the implications of your statements.

Stop using your own words instead of mine if dishonesty is a problem for you.

3. Maestro9 profile image58

There you have a belief.

1. profile image0

Honestly? Think about it. Everything is a belief. We can classify something as truth; but that only applies if it is universally agreed upon by what we believe to be trusted authorities. Which is still a belief.

You think humanity will get the ultimate answers one day. That's your belief, sister Emile.

1. profile image0

Actually, I can hang there. Being open to answers trumps beliefs any day of the week. In my mind, little fella.

You seem to have your own definition of belief, in your mind lol

1. profile image0

I believe we will find answers doesn't fit into the same category as you believe in magical super beings. Sorry if you don't understand the difference.

2. Jerami profile image59
              Jeramiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree totally ...  with what you said.
              "I think therefore I am (I think)" and if someone else also thinks that I am, it is more likely to be so, unless I don't think the other person is.
              And if they aren't (?) then I probably, am not either.

2. Dan Smith profile image60
        Dan Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Let's assume science can someday answer all the questions.  Will you be able to understand the answers?  Like Arthur C Clarke said, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."  Most of quantum physicist is already at that point (probability waves, the EPR problem multiple universes)

At what point does science become just another religion?
        http://www.squidoo.com/faith-definition

I see no reason not to understand the answers.

Sorry, but I don't equate science with magic.

It doesn't.

4. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 11 years ago

tammybarnette wrote:

My findings are in a book called the Bible. It has been around longer than your scientist,

who said that my friend?....without science how would even authors of bible writer bible?....scientist are as old as humans itself...right from stone tools to present day internet , it is science all the way...

5. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

What an unscientific question. Hilarious!

A particle does not make space-time, energy or mass from nothing. And no scientist I've ever read has ever said that it would. The closest I've read of that kind of garbage was Hawking saying that gravity could've created the universe, but that's extremely lame. Gravity exists in space and time. Something has to create those continuities, first.

As far as life from chemicals, that doesn't prove anything. Personally, I agree with life being created this way, but who created the laws of physical reality?

There is only one ultimate Source, and most of us call Him (or It), "God" or "Allah."

The universe exists, therefore God IS.

Science is great at figuring out processes based upon physical continuity, but they suck at discontinuities (except perhaps in calculus).

Gravity, along with the laws of physical reality came into existence just after the Big Bang as a result of the expansion cooling the universe.

False conclusion based on massive ego.

Yes, attack what you don't understand.

Prove there has been a Big Bang, junior.

There is no evidence, junior. Besides, it says-

"This model resolves the "What was before the Big Bang?" question in a similar manner as the infinite regression problem. Our universe was created by an inflation event in some other universe at some arbitrary time in the infinite past. Whether or not this is satisfying is left to the reader to decide."

lol What an explanation! LMAO!

That is your argument from incredulity, dad.

So, what's wrong with it?

1. Chip6 profile image56
                Chip6posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nothing lol

And who created the being who created the laws of physical reality?  Since you are so logical...and you implied that nothing can come from nothing, you should have no problem conveying your findings.

So could you show us this ultimate source?  Could you walk us through this step by step, so as to leave no room for delusion?

That's simply not valid.  I hope you understand that this statement is pure whim, and simply unscientific and illogical...wishful thinking.

3. Praetor profile image60

I'm glad you brought this up; could you please, and this is open to any believer out there, provide one piece of evidence for the veracity of your claims, that doesn't come from the Bible, and that isn't itself just another blind statement of faith?

Let me explain what I'm talking about for those whom I may have confused:

Science operates by generating a hypothesis, conducting experiments/observations to either prove or disprove that hypothesis, and then reporting the results for review; it's called the Scientific Method and we all learned it in 2nd grade.

Since religion is the only one claiming to have all the answers (we still call the "Big Bang" and "Evolution" theories), then the burden of proof is on you. So what I would like, is for just one of you to come up with even the tiniest shred of objective evidence.

Give me one scrap of evidence that doesn't come from the Bible, one piece of something that doesn't rely on the assumption of facts not in evidence. "Because God says so" or "because it's in the Bible", just simply don't qualify.

If you want to claim religion as a belief structure, then that's fine; I totally respect that. However, when you start asserting your beliefs to be "facts" or "truth", then you're playing with the big boys, and you need to be able to back your assertions up.

1. pisean282311 profile image62
        pisean282311posted 11 years agoin reply to this

hey i have 400 holy books to back my claim and u have only tangible proofs...my books have varieties too...i have jesus as god in one , jesus as messenger in another ...

lol, hiya pisean.

How's the trolling going these days?

6. Praetor profile image60
    Praetorposted 11 years ago

I thought this one was funny...

http://i.imgur.com/DzL10.jpg

1. Seth Winter profile image80
      Seth Winterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually I was thinking the same thing and going to post it before I saw your funny pic. These are the same scientists that a few hundred years ago would have you burned at the stake for saying the world wasn't flat.

Or better yet these scientists will claim they know how the world was formed but they still don't know how gravity works....

Remind me of a joke I read in playboy several years ago...A scientist goes up to god and tell him that they don't need him anymore. That science can create babies, matter and the world from a single handful of dirt.

God responds to this by declaring a challenge. See who can create the best world from dirt. The Scientist agrees and reached down to pickup a handful of dirt when god says...

"No get your own dirt"

7. Dan Smith profile image60
    Dan Smithposted 11 years ago

Can you adequately explain quantum physics?  Even if you can, did you verify all the experimental evidence yourself?  If not, why are you willing to readily accept scientific papers or textbooks as fact?

Look at the global warming debate.  Scientists on either side seems to have an agenda, and therefore none of the research seems unbiased.  In simple terms Democrat = global warming, Republican = no global warming.  Both sides present "evidence" of their case.  Which side is "fact"? Which side do you have "faith" in?

1. getitrite profile image71

God, through His son Jesus Christ, is the answer to All of your questions.

Amen.

I can work out eigenvalues from a Hamiltonian, work with Schrodinger's equation, Compton effects and spin operators. Does that count?

Some yes, others not.

I don't just accept them as fact.

I have no "faith" in either side, I have an understanding.

There is compelling evidence the earth has gone through cycles of warming and cooling, such that ares of the ocean that are currently frozen over at this time were once accessible waterways for ships to pass. On the flip side, we've had ice ages, too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)