Are you still undecided about the presidential election?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)
  1. LauraGT profile image85
    LauraGTposted 11 years ago

I'm very curious about the undecided voters out there.  What issues are important to you?  What are you looking for in the president?  What do base your election decisions on?  What do you like/dislike about Romney and Obama?

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

I'm not undecided and know who I'm voting for, but I thought this post on a FB page of mostly males under the age of 30 is worth inserting here.  This specific post was addressed to someone who had stated that he was not voting this year because he was disappointed in the choices.  I know the author would not mind it being posted here. 

(A) For those who say Obama has not accomplished enough, let's look at some basic statistical facts:

--(1) He has kept 192 (38%) of his campaign promises. I doubt anyone on this thread can name a dozen of them, because you're ignorant, just like me. If you think he hasn't done enough, don't you owe it to yourself to at least be able to identify what he has done?

--(2) He has compromised on 76 (15%) of his promises. Compromising is when an agreement is reached and both sides had to sacrifice something in order to reach that agreement.

--(3) He's broken 86 (17%) of his promises. If you don't think a 17% promise fail rate is acceptable when it comes to campaign promises, you're ignorant. Sure, he made a shit-load of promises, but any reasonable person understands he cannot keep them all, nor could anyone. But, this is not a salient representation. If the issue you care about is in this list, you run the risk of being disenfranchised.

--(4) 107 (21%) of his promises are still in the works. Shit is happening. The morons who think the Government officials sit around doing nothing all day don't know what they're talking about. Shit happens with or without your involvement. Your choice.

(B) We live in a country that is globally recognized as a superpower; militarily, economically, and diplomatically. If you're pissed off because a couple things here and there don't line up with your narrow ideology of how the world should work, and are going to hold your vote hostage because of that, then that's fine. But we're not the only country in the world, and you're not the only voter in the US. You think Congress should work together? You think the country should work together with others? Yet you're unwilling to work together with your own government? Doesn't make sense.

Everyone has a red line: cross this line and there is no coming back. For Edgar that line appears to be the NDAA. That's fair enough. Many people are disappointed that he did not veto that bill. If that's the last straw, and you'll turn your back because of that, just know that the opportunity cost of turning your back is implicitly supporting Mitt Romney. Do his ideals not cross your red line?

The initial post was asking who people were voting for and why.  I was pretty impressed with the number of comments it generated, and the way in which the posters made their case.  No pettiness was allowed in the responses, unlike what we see in so many of the political threads involving older participants.

1. LetitiaFT profile image73
      LetitiaFTposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well put.

3. Shadesbreath profile image76
    Shadesbreathposted 11 years ago

It's hard to decide because everyone is lying and spinning everything (the candidates and the fanboys on both sides who worship the ridiculous "choice" they think they get to make and regurgitate lies with religious fervor), and the real issues are huge and complex and relate to the dance the common man does with the plutocracy, which keeps us trapped in a system that is only a mangy shadow of what the founding fathers built. The efforts of both candidates are about preventing revolts and rioting: just enough "good" to keep it from all falling down.

1. Dr Billy Kidd profile image90
      Dr Billy Kiddposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Shadesbreath, it must be frustrating being so smart that you can figue this stuff out ..."the dance the common man does with the plutocracy" .. Wow! What an expression.

4. Mighty Mom profile image76
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

I actually met a self-proclaimed undecided voter on the plane home from Denver last night. He is 18 years old, just graduated high school.
    He had some knowledge of both candidates, but planned to do more research.
    He had not watched any of the debates, but had heard some "spin" comments on both candidates' performances.
    I asked him what issues are important to him. If he could even pick one issue he cares deeply about, to go and research each candidate's policies (and record) on that one issue.
    He volunteered that he is interested in energy issues. Likes the idea of wind and alternative energy put out by Obama. But also wonders what's wrong with the idea of drilling for oil in Alaska.

The conversation pivoted into health and availability/affordability of fresh vegetables vs. fast food. He was very knowledgeable about GMOs, America's sugar addiction, etc.

From there, he started talking about the conspiracy of our government, the Bilderberg Group, Bohemian Grove, and a whole lot about the Illuminati and hollow earth where dinosaurs live and aliens. Not to mention Freemason imagery in cartoons like Tom and Jerry and the Flintstones.
    DId you know Walt Disney was a Freemason?

He volunteered that his generation is obsessed with conspiracy theories. He was giving me the exact same lines my son (now 20) has been feeding me for 2 years.

My point is, this generation does not see any difference between Obama and Romney (my son uses term Obamney).
    They do not believe in the government system -- they feel it is trying to turn us all into zombies.
    They want to chuck the system and start over.

So how can you choose one candidate over the other if you don't believe in the institution behind the presidency?

1. Shadesbreath profile image76
      Shadesbreathposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes! Exactly!!!

And, after all those exclamation points are done, I would ask you this: What, precisely and carefully explained, "institution" do you believe is "behind the presidency?" Each of those ideas carries multiple meanings, all of which apply with tremendous relevancy. What is it that you expect that young man, or any of us, to believe in, and how does it relate to the reality of the world we actually live in (which includes our ability to even know what the world we actually live in is)?

5. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

I voted for Stein (mail ballot) in protest, especially since they arrested her for trying to attend the last debate. Got to love democracy in America.

6. Greek One profile image62
    Greek Oneposted 11 years ago

I don't get to vote because of your damn citizenship laws tongue

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I made up my mind several years ago.

1. maxoxam41 profile image65
        maxoxam41posted 11 years agoin reply to this

So did I.

1. Petra Vlah profile image61
          Petra Vlahposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I did too and my answer to the question is I will never vote again and participate in a charade that legitimizes the "democracy"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)