Soft_________ is still stealing our stuff with a dead link to hub

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (17 posts)
  1. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

I checked today on this website and found one of Cardisa's recent salad recipes stolen with a dead link to the hub. It is a summary of the hub. I don't know if anything else can be done. It may take traffic away from our site. I have done what I can. I reported it as spam to Google. and someone else contacted Google, and they will do nothing as I understand..

1. ElSeductor profile image58
      ElSeductorposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Is there a forum here somewhere?  You can send private e-mails to people by going to their profile.

R

1. brakel2 profile image73
        brakel2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

They steal them every day. There are hundreds on the site. It is not one person. The entire site is filled with summaries of hubs with dead links to HP.

2. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 11 years ago

What's the site?

3. brakel2 profile image73

Softmania4U.com.  I guess it's ok to put it as long as it's not a link.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
      Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I filed a DMCA against them Brakel2, but Google decided not to take it further, I think because of the link to article, but that's the problem, when they scraped mine the deadlink didn't even take you to the article, just HP's feed. So, in the end I changed the picture on the hub, rewrote the summary and changed the title slightly.

1. IzzyM profile image85
        IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Am I not right in thinking that this site takes its info from a Twitter feed?

Does that not mean they will take your summary again if someone tweets it after you have made changes?

The only way they can rank above the original hubs is if they have a higher PR or platform strength.

Unfortunately, when Google slaps an individual subdomain here, their algorithm seems to promote all the scraper sites above our hubs.

I had to contend with this situation for over a year.

It's a Google problem. They need to get it sorted.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
          Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It may well do Izzy, I don't know to be honest. But it was ranking above mine for the keywords, anyway as my account was slapped I made a few changes and then published it on Wizzley.

The thing is, just a summary, title and picture is absolutely no use whatsoever for users, so why Google don't slap that site I have no idea.

2. Garrett Mickley profile image78
      Garrett Mickleyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Looks like this site's down now.

4. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 11 years ago

90% of the reasons why nothing gets done to remedy this sort of BS.. is because hubbers are easy targets as the site (HP) does not adopt an appropriate defense against thieves and refuses to acknowledge that they have any duty of care in regard to site writers.... and because everyone pussyfoots around and are not prepared to attack the thieves collectively and proactively!

Who would read your stuff if there are references to it being Stolen all over the Net??? 
    If you can't drop their hosting service... drop their reputation with published Disclaimers if need be... but attack them... Publish their name for what it is.... then watch their host start acting on them!
    Go after the SE Nos 1 - 10 listings on page one of search!  But stop being Nice!! These guys are Thieves...  sad

It IS NOT merely a Google problem.... it is every writer's problem!  (Including the Apathetic ones!) sad

1. janderson99 profile image54
      janderson99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The only way to win is to outrank them - focus on that.
      Google indexes the copies - You can't stop it.
      The end

1. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What an interesting Do Nothing Approach to defending one's net reputation... In the time I have been on this site I have personally individually and with another hubber forced the take down of 1000s of stolen articles over 5 different sites!  That did not occur by taking a Weak 'Ho-Hum' approach... it came from standing up for our personal and commercial rights and kicking butt!  End of Story!

2. 2besure profile image82
      2besureposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is not HupPages fault when someone comes here an wholesale steal articles.  This also happened when I wrote for Ehow.  They have to go through the complain process to Google,  just like everyone else.  When we lose money HubPages looses money.  It is also to their advantage to remedy these types of things.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have no idea why you feel a need to challenge what I posted... I completely understand (in depth) HP's role in regard to works published on the site. 

Perhaps if you consider that every scraper actually leaves their footprints all over the site (as well as the articles stolen), then you will understand what I mean about proactive options that are available... should the issue be considered to be one serious enough to act proactively on! 

I don't believe I intimated that HP are responsible for the actions of any of the thieves - and I don't believe that as a whole, writers should have to lie down and think of HP or England, as they are unceremoniously raped by the guests of the host.... do you? sad

Thieves are thieves... I struggle to understand why so many offer such weak excuses for not doing whatever it takes to stop thieves from republishing our works... seems it's far easier to criticize the efforts of those who give up their time to act proactively for everyone's benefit!  - I guess that's just another obvious reason why some thieves consider it a breeze to steal from here! smile  Did you even consider that point before you decided HP were in need of an emotive defense to sidelining a practical post that highlights a practical problem and offers a practical solution? smile

5. brakel2 profile image73

Bravo. This one site is a real bummer. I will try again to do something very soon. I tried once.

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can't access the site - seems to be down.

6. brakel2 profile image73

They have begun to make the links to hubs live. Check it out and see what you think.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)