What is your take on growing food, not lawns?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (16 posts)
  1. ThompsonPen profile image65
    ThompsonPenposted 11 years ago

There are some places which prohibit growing a vegetable patch instead of growing a front lawn. What do you think about this?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

$$$$ and more $$$$.

What will a corn patch on the front lawn next to your home do to it's value?

1. profile image0
        Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Greed.  Did you know that in some places a child can't have a lemonade stand; it's because they need a peddlars permit.

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, although that is a different issue.  Still about as silly as it can get, though.

2. seanorjohn profile image71
    seanorjohnposted 11 years ago

I grew french beans and potatoes in my front garden for the first time this year. Apparently, in a North England Town the citizens plant veg in public places and anyone can help themselves to free food. Brillliant idea.

ThompsonPenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very! In the book the Fifth Sacred Thing, they take over San Francisco and dig up the roads and redirect rivers to flow down them, and plant fruit bearing trees and veg all along the streets so that every one can do just that. It's a great utopic/disutopic book

3. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 11 years ago

I think we should question a value system that favors using land for over-fertilized, chemically weed-free grass over growing healthy food.

ThompsonPenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I fully concur

4. Gearhead-Dave profile image60
    Gearhead-Daveposted 11 years ago

What could go wrong and how ugly can it get? smile

5. eternals3ptember profile image60
    eternals3ptemberposted 11 years ago

My grandmother's neighbor grew raspberries, and honestly, it was the prettiest yard on the block.

1. Gearhead-Dave profile image60
      Gearhead-Daveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

there you go ,I would definitely grow raspberries and strawberries even capsicums. smile

6. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

The aspect I object to is the concept that someone else would have control over what I do on my property! As long as it does not constitute a major nuisance or hazard to others, I am free to do whatever I want in my house and garden. I would not dream of buying a property that had such strings attached.

I suppose it's different if you are talking about rented property, where the landlord is the one who decides what is permitted.

That is why my first priority was always to get to a position where I own my house and NOBODY can tell me what I can or cannot do in it.

As for public spaces, I think communal beds with fruit and vegetables are a great idea. In Cuba, residents of high-rise block in Havana cultivate the land around their buildings and share out the harvests among themselves.

7. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years ago

I obviously can't post a link to my own hub here, but there are a couple of villages in the UK that have started growing vegetables in all sorts of public places, e.g. flower beds, graveyards, containers by bus stops etc. The vegetable plants are grown and donated by locals, and the fully grown veg are free to anyone to pick and take home.  I hubbed on the villages because I found the concept fascinating, and felt that not only did it bring the community closer together, but it was a fabulous way to provide free food for all. (Todmorden and Huddersfield are the two villages).

8. 2uesday profile image64
    2uesdayposted 11 years ago

I grow my own fruit and vegetables on a plot of land that I rent. In the UK we call these areas for growing fruit and vegetables allotments. I had written hubs about it but unpublished them and moved them elsewhere. If I were going to grow vegetables in my front garden I would probably have a potager-style garden as they can look neat and attractive. You can even combine the fruit and vegetables with growing herbs and flowering plants.

An unkempt vegetable patch in a front garden may not be an ideal situation, so a certain amount of skillful planning and upkeep is needed.

9. Healthy Pursuits profile image80
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 11 years ago

I am currently in the process of banning all grass on my property. I have the front almost completely cleared of grass. I plan to plant spinach, cabbage, onions, green peppers, etc., mixed with various edible flowers next year. In my town, people don't seem to mind.

10. safiq ali patel profile image67
    safiq ali patelposted 11 years ago

If we all grew food in our gardens perhaps world food prices would come down from the extra supply of food that comes from out gardens. Good forum question.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)