Your Parents' Perception of You and its Correlation to Future Success

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

or Future Failure

How your parents perceived you in your formative years have a major impact regarding if you have high or low self-esteem or self-worth, be a success or failure in life, and/or will fearless risk taker or a timid risk aversive person.    Many parents do not realize the irrevocable emotional, mental, and psychological harm their words and sayings have on their children.    Many parents believe that they mean well when in fact they do not!   Do you agree with this premise?

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I somewhat agree. My parents were always very supportive. As a parent, I was supportive, but I was also honest when the kids asked for my opinion. For example, my youngest daughter was a gymnast, and I'd often watch her practice. When she'd ask me how she did, I told her the truth - good or bad. She sometimes got upset with me, but when she got older, she told me how much she appreciated my honest feedback. I think it's possible to be both supportive and honest. If I'd always told my daughter her routines were perfect, even when they weren't, she would have gained a false sense of security and wouldn't have worked as hard to improve.

gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Habee, you are a good and loving mother.    Yes, I believe in telling children the truth; however, there are some parents who only see faults in their children, they do not believe in telling their children how good they are for fear of the latter becoming "conceited".        There are some parents who constantly belittle their children no matter how stellar and/or well they do.    Is it the parents' subconscious jealous or fear that if they give credit to their children, their children will outdo them.     While there are many good parents out there, there are parents who have well..........quite unresolved issues either psychologically, emotionally, and/or from their childhood.

2. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

There are parents although they constructively criticize their children, they still praise their children when the occasion arises.  However, there are parents who DON'T see the good that their children do but ONLY THE BAD.  These are the parents who endlessly find fault with their children for even the most minute thing.  There are parents who criticize their children for making 99 instead of a 100.  There are parents who believe that their child/children must be perfect at all times and if the latter make a mistake, it is considered a mortal transgression or an egregious offense.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
      Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years agoin reply to this

And how about the parents who overly praise AND overly criticize … Both!
      Or when one parent does the praising and the other the criticizing!

Some parents should just not have children!

Common sense, common courtesy and true kindness… Is that too much to ask?

Parents need to know when to BE QUIET! Just let the kid be!
      My advice: Watch him in your rear view mirror and set the boundaries as needed. Observe his interests and facilitate them and any activity that requires concentration such as care of the environment and personal belongings. Help him in reading books, writing and figuring out math problems that arise in daily life.
           Too much praise can actually be distracting as well. Encouragement is not the same as false ego building praise.  So, encourage your child and keep focused on reality and everything will be fine.

...if you ask me, which no one did.

gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, there are parents who want their children to be as perfect as possible.  They view mistakes as a poor reflection of the child so they endlessly critique the children, hoping that the child will be perfect in every way.  They feel that by not doing that will seriously impair the child.   There are parents who want their children to be little adults who do not make the usual mistakes of childhood.

There are perfectionist parents who believe that their child must be number 1 and THE BEST.  To such parents, their child not winning is considered to be an affront to their parenting abilities and means that their child is somewhat lesser.  These are the parents who endlessly push their child to make that 100, to win that beauty contest, etc.  Be woe if the child makes a 98, all hell breaks lose and the child is considered to be incompetent, stupid, or slow.

This is very ignorant thinking. It is also arrogant. it is shameful and it is ultimately cruel.
          The child is here to express himself from within. He loves and follows the adult in charge in willful obedience…not for any reason but to learn how to survive. He absorbs his environment on his terms… not yours or anyone else's. He needs respect and he needs to develop his own inner life. We must facilitate his connection to his true self. How?
          repeating:
          "My advice: Watch him in your rear view mirror and set the boundaries as needed. Observe his interests and facilitate them and any activity that requires concentration such as care of the environment and personal belongings. Help him in reading books, writing and figuring out math problems that arise in daily life.
               Too much praise can actually be distracting as well. Encouragement is not the same as false ego building praise.  So, encourage your child and keep focused on reality and everything will be fine."

Observe your child to learn how you can help him become the person he, himself, is trying to become and has the potential to become. Ultimately it is through through his own guidance and direction that he reaches his potential.

So let the kid be!

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

The problem of too much praise:
    The child needs to be in touch with himself. This seems easy enough, but not when you realize how fragile this connection can be… It needs to be consciously kept intact, since common sense is gone in modern society.
    It is common sense to just do your work and let the child do his. He has much to do to grow into a man. In the beginning, nature is guiding the development of the psyche… which is a lot to grasp… but it is true…The psyche takes six years to develop. 
    During this period, it is best for the parents to allow the child to work from within according to the dictates of his own being. It is a subconscious mysterious process. We can see it unfold day by day. We are to facilitate this unfoldment… not stand in its way with our own blind ambitions. Praise can make the child do things to get more praise and in so doing, he becomes severed from his connection to his own will and reason for doing things.
    I know these truths are hard to understand. I have been contemplating them since being exposed to the teachings of Montessori (in 1984) in a first-hand way. She holds the key to understanding life.
    She really does.
    Sorry to sound like a broken record.

No, you are indeed correct, please continue.

My mentor used to say: we do not tell the toes and fingers when and how to grow when the child is in the womb. It is the same during the first six years of life. Let the psyche develop of its own forces. These forces are there if one would just observe. Every little small person will grow into a big powerful person. This growth taking place from WITHIN must be acknowledged and respected.
        Thanks So Much, Gm.
          Now I'm done
        - for today!  smile

4. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

Yes, parents are a huge influence on us, but at the point you are capable of blaming them for doing it wrong you are capable of stepping outside of that context and charting your own course.

What you have elucidated is true.  Parents can only do what they know how to do and they were doing the best that they know how, be it positive or negative.  So many people blame their parents and use this blame as a rationalization for their particular life circumstances.   It is the mature person who refuses to blame his/her parents and to use that blame as a displacement mechanism, instead assessing the situation at hand and take responsibility to make his/her life a success. 

One cannot change how his/her parents perceive him/her but he/she can make his/her life a success if so desired.  Also, after a certain age, it is futile, even toxic, for an adult to seek parental approval regarding his/her self-esteem and success. In fact, it is an utter waste of time. If one's parents perceive him/her to be stupid and he/she knows that he/she isn't,  $%#% the parents and succeed.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)