Would you consider a total ban on possessing a gun in America?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (88 posts)
  1. safiq ali patel profile image67
    safiq ali patelposted 11 years ago

If the United States Federal Government outlawed the possession of Guns what would your response be?

1. profile image0
      JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If I wanted to live somewhere where I'm not allowed to defend myself, I can think of some great places with better beaches, food, and cost of living smile

ETA I'm completely serious... the right to life, and to defend my life and the life of my family, is one of the most important things to me.

2. profile image0
      Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They would have to take my weapons from me out of my cold dead hands.  Gun control won't work and banning assult weapons won't work as anyone would still be able to get them.  Being a responsible weapon owner is where it begins.  Trigger locks and gun safes!

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
        Castlepalomaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think China will spend US to Death rather than war. Yes cars and doctors kill more people than guns. It's just we really need them, we do not needs guns at all. Most importantly we do not need nuclear weapons and offensive war budgets' A higher war budget will be the last thing China will over take tak away from the USA.

3. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't support an outright ban, just severe restrictions.

Yes, slow is better,

4. safiq ali patel profile image67
      safiq ali patelposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Keep your passionate comments coming and flowing. This debate here has turned hot. Obama says he will announce new Gun Control legislation in January 2013....

5. My Esoteric profile image85
      My Esotericposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I would oppose it.

6. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's kind of like a law that bans running red lights. Oh yeah they already have that one. How is that working?

2. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 11 years ago

The only way I could even consider a ban on guns to be a good thing would be IF AND ONLY IF there were absolutely positively No More violence in the world.

Killing will never stop killing and violence will never stop violence

Give peace a chance

1. profile image0
        JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Peace stops violence?

2. Rafini profile image82
        Rafiniposted 11 years agoin reply to this

so...your stance is: to give peace a chance?  makes sense.....

3. tlmcgaa70 profile image62
    tlmcgaa70posted 11 years ago

the only thing a ban on guns will do is take protection away from law abiding citizens...it certainly wont stop law breakers from having them. it would make them bolder as well, knowing they wont face any direct threat to themselves. since there will always be law breakers, a ban on guns is the stupidest thing the government could do.

For all the places in world visited, I would been shot and killed many times overm if I had a gun in my hands. Many countries ban guns and they are safer for it

1. tlmcgaa70 profile image62
        tlmcgaa70posted 11 years agoin reply to this

A LITTLE GUN HISTORY
        In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. >From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated
        In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
        Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.
        China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated
        Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
        Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
        Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
        Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.
        You won't see this data on the US evening news, or hear politicians disseminating this information.
        Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens.
        Take note my fellow Americans, before it's too late!
        The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them of this history lesson.
        With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.
        During WWII the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew most Americans were ARMED!
        If you value your freedom, please spread this antigun-control message to all of your friends.
        SWITZERLAND ISSUES EVERY HOUSEHOLD A GUN!
        SWITZERLAND'S GOVERNMENT TRAINS EVERY ADULT THEY ISSUE A RIFLE.
        SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!
        IT'S A NO BRAINER!
        DON'T LET OUR GOVERNMENT WASTE MILLIONS OF OUR TAX DOLLARS IN AN EFFORT TO MAKE ALL LAW ABIDING CITIZENS AN EASY TARGET.
        Spread the word everywhere you can that you are a firm believer in the 2nd Amendment!

It's time to speak loud before they try to silence and disarm us.
        You're not imagining it, history shows that governments always manipulate tragedies to attempt to disarm the people~

1. wilderness profile image96
          wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry, but it is not politically correct to ever mention that citizens need protection from their own government, and providing actual examples just goes far over the line.  It tends to limit the power government has over the people and is generally frowned on even though our forefathers, writing our constitution, were smart enough to recognize and provide for that possibility.

You are to be spanked and sent to bed without your gun!

1. habee profile image92
            habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oooohhhhhhhh...can I have a spanking, too? I've been vewwy, vewwy bad.

Guns should not be banned in the US. I am, however, open to the idea of banning certain weapons, but the rules need to be very specific.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image81
          Mark Ewbieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maybe.  When Dunblane happened in the UK we were sickened by it.  It was good that the gun ban was introduced and I am not aware of any bad side effects.

I think that anything that lessens the chance of children being murdered by madmen is a good thing.  That would seem to be the no-brainer.

What is laughable, as an outsider looking in, is that gun people seem to think they are safer because anyone in the country can easily get a gun.

It's a no-brainer ONLY if you assume that guns are the only way to murder large amounts of people. 

Personally, I think that if someone is crazy enough to want to kill a roomful of people they will do so, gun or not.  There are lots of tools for the task, and many are far more effective than a gun.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81

There is something about a gun, the remoteness of it, that makes it easier for a detached lunatic to commit the crime.  Anything else that might easily come to hand - a baseball bat, machete perhaps - is a more connected experience.

This is why the people who operate drones can deal out death so easily.  If they had to enter hand-to-hand combat with the 'terrorists' and their children it might take on a different perspective.

If Obama, and Cameron, and the rest of the political leaders who play with their soldiers lives were at the front with swords in their hands we would likely have no wars at all.

But I am digressing.  When I walk into Heathrow airport and see armed police patrolling due to the ludicrous and exaggerated terrorist threat designed to instil fear into the population and allow the military machine to get more budget - I feel less safe.

The idea that my neighbour could possess such weapons would make me frightened. I believe that Americans are frightened - of each other and the world - and that guns are one of the reasons.

Good point in that "remoteness" and I think it is very true when speaking of the average person or even soldier. 

The average madman slaughtering a room full of small children isn't normal, though.  I would think that either they would prefer not to have that remoteness or not care one way or the other. 

Another good point that Americans are frightened, and one I've considered.  I think that, in a sense, Americans are more self sufficient, more willing to take care of themselves.  At the same time that self sufficiency is deteriorating as we expand government control over our lives and specifically require more and more protection from government.  This creates a paradox that we don't know how to handle, giving rise to the fear.  We can't protect ourselves any more while at the same time telling ourselves that we can and don't want government to do it.  In addition, some people think they can protect themselves while others think they can't and thus fear those that will try.  A psychological mess, we are.

I'm happy to agree to disagree - we all have different points of view, and of course, I have no idea what living in America is really like.

Nice to see that Facebook has no qualms at all over gun related profits, you'd think they might pull adverts for a few days...

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7486810_f248.jpg

2. jponiato profile image88
            jponiatoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The worst school mass-murder in U.S. history (perhaps the world) was not carried out using guns at all.  In Bath, Michigan, in 1927, 38 children and 6 adults were killed, and 58 others injured.  The attacker used dynamite. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

Take away the guns, the deranged people who plot this sort of thing will find something else.

Having said that, I take a more moderate stance than some gun owners:  I would support a ban on assault weapons, since they are needed neither for hunting nor for defense of one's self, home and family.  Studies have shown (and most law-enforcement agencies agree) that a shot-gun is the most effective weapon against home invaders.

3. Don W profile image83
          Don Wposted 11 years agoin reply to this

First, with all the caps it feels like you're shouting at us. Of course you're free to use whatever style you like, but can I ask you to consider using Italics or bold for emphasis instead of caps. Check out the formatting panel if you're not sure how that's done. 

Second, your information is wrong I'm afraid.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/files/2012/12/firearm-OECD-UN-data3.jpg

As you can see, Switzerland actually has a higher gun homicide rate per 100,000 population than any other developed country in the world, second only to the U.S. (Chile and Turkey are actually developing countries).

The U.S. and Switzerland are the only developed countries in the top 45 of all countries by gun homicide rate per 100,000 population.

The U.S. and Switzerland have the 1st and 3rd highest levels of gun ownership in the world (Yemen is 2nd).

By contrast:

Japan has the lowest level of gun ownership than any country in the world. Japan also has the lowest rate of gun homicides per 100,000 population in the world.

Poland has the 2nd lowest level of gun ownership in the world relative to other developed countries. Poland is in the bottom 10 countries for gun homicide rate per 100,000 population.

Also, a U.S. study by the Harvard School of Public Health found that "states with higher rates of household firearm ownership had significantly higher homicide victimization rates for children, and for women and men."

So there is a clear relationship between levels of gun ownership and rates of gun homicide.

Sources:
          United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime.
          Harvard School of Public Health

Gun homicides aren't relevant here, homicides in general are.  Can you compare gun ownership to homicide using any means?

Of course gun homicides are more frequent with higher gun ownership, but that says nothing about the general homicide rate using other tools.

widerness
              USA Guns are the cause of most murders and suicides in America,
              Why do people protect such harmful weapons?

Good find Don W

You know better than that - guns cause vanishingly few deaths.  The mind pulling the trigger is the cause.

You give people mostly fast food they will kill themselves faster too

Luckily, grow most of my own food, Food super markets are our largest killers

2. Don W profile image83

Glad to see a gun owner finally acknowledge the relationship between higher levels of gun ownership and higher gun homicide rates.

Can I compare gun ownership to general homicide? No, but the New England Journal of Medicine can, and has. One of the conclusions of their study, entitled Gun Ownership as a Risk Factor for Homicide in the Home, was:

"We found no evidence of a protective benefit from gun ownership in any subgroup, including one restricted to cases of homicide that followed forced entry into the home and another restricted to cases in which resistance was attempted. Not surprisingly, the link between gun ownership and homicide was due entirely to a strong association between gun ownership and homicide by firearms. Homicide by other means was not significantly linked to the presence or absence of a gun in the home."

In plain English: Owning a gun made no difference to the likelihood of people getting murdered in their homes. The only difference they found was that if you own a gun, you are more likely to get shot.

It's not difficult.  From wikipedia (forgive the formatting, I don't know how to make it look good here)
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co … icide_rate
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_ … by_country

Country, guns per capita, homicide per capita
                US, 88, 4.2
                Sweden, 31.6, 1.0
                Finland, 32, 2.2
                New Zealand, 22.6, .9
                Australia, 15, 1.0
                Israel, 7.3, 2.1
                Poland 1.3, 1.1

Note that I cherry picked countries, looking for ones that are at least somewhat similar to the US.  Inclusion of African nations or the cultures of the far east will change the graph considerably.  Culture plays a very large part - including the near east makes the US look like a piker in homicides if all the bombing deaths are included.  I also picked a range of homicide rates based on how the wiki charts were arranged.

There does seem to be a correlation, but it is a very rough one.  Look at Australia vs New Zealand or Sweden VS Finland.  Nor is the correlation at all linear; if the US limited gun ownership to that of Israel it should have the lowest of all by a large margin which I would not believe.  You held up Poland as a good example, but look at the homicide rate vs the gun ownership rate.

In short, the correlation is there, but probably not a strong enough one to justify assigning cause to.  Culture probably plays a larger part in homicide rates than does gun ownership.

*edit*  Find the four countries with homicide ranging from .9 to 1.1.  Now look at the gun ownership figures for those countries.  I didn't catch that until just now, but it gives a lie to the idea that the two are actually correlated.  Of course, a much larger list might show those to be unimportant.

1. Don W profile image83

That's pretty much what I said. There appears to be no link between gun ownership and reduced general homicide rates, which gives the lie to the idea that gun ownership makes people safer in their homes. In the case of general homicide, it clearly doesn't. As your own research indicates.

On the other hand, as we've already agreed, there is a strong correlation between  gun ownership and gun homicide rates per 100,000 population. I made no claims about Poland and general homicide rates, but Poland is as an example of the link between gun deaths and levels of gun ownership.

So according to the data, high levels of gun ownership does not reduce the likelihood of people getting killed in their homes, but does increase the likelihood of people being shot.

I think I'm missing something here.

If there is no link between gun ownership and murder, why are we discussing limiting gun ownership?  It won't change the murder rate and isn't that the reason for a limit?

What the data seems to indicate is that without a gun, the murder will be carried out with a different tool, that's all.  Sure, you won't be killed with a gun, but you're still dead!

2. wilderness profile image96

One could, given those very limited stats, conclude that gun ownership decreases homicide rates. 

Compare ownership vs homicide for all those listed except the US.  In general the more guns, the lower the homicide rate.  It isn't statistically significant, but might be worthy of further investigation.  Should we, rather than limiting guns, encourage the proliferation?

4. Castlepaloma profile image75

tlmcgaa70

Authorities kill more people than the criminal do. Tell me the USA will reduce their offensive bully war budget down to 4% rather than 50% of the world’s war budget and I might believe you.
          USA is not civilized until their average war defense budget is in accordance with their population. The rest of the world people are equal to you as people, yet greed comes to mind

Gun Control Laws Fail To Keep Mentally Ill Away From Guns

1. tlmcgaa70 profile image62
            tlmcgaa70posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Gun Control Laws Fail To Keep Mentally Ill Away From Guns

i dont get you...are you for or against gun control...this statement u made is exactly WHY we should not have a ban on guns...the mentally ill/deranged and just pure evil will always have guns regardless of any laws...ppl will no longer be able to defend themselves against such monsters.

Killing in general is an mental illness except for food. If the end the world comes, sure I might Kill and eat few zombie. When men in uniform kill more people than the crinminal do,  then there is a great illness across the land.

If everyone has no guns including police, problem will be solved in time.

Funny, more people call me insane for calling on such things as these acts of kindness.

And it has to be said that each time there is a massacre like this there has always been some element of a mental health problem attached to the person or persons carrying out the massacre.

2. wilderness profile image96

That will be a relief to the thousands of victims of IED's and car bombs in the near east.

And the thousands of Kurds Hussein gassed, as well as the holocaust survivors.

Man doesn't need a gun to kill with; there are lots of alternative methods.

4. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 11 years ago

First, yes. In fact, I'd support a total ban on possessing a gun in America.

As for game hunters, here's an idea. Rifles are given out with licenses. At the end of a season, the rifle must be returned. Firing ranges, likewise, provide rifles for practice, but only on their own premises.

Taser sales should skyrocket as a result.

Sally Trove. Superb post and reply here. Thank you very much. You comment here comes like a breath of fresh air. You are among few who want to ban guns but your perspective is loaded with peace and common sense. Thank you very much.

1. Sally's Trove profile image78
        Sally's Troveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your thoughtful response. No gun ever brought peace to anyone.

1. profile image53
          whoisitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes it has.

You mean blow up people into peaces

5. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Indifference.

6. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

Not for nothin' but I'm not so sure that the old saw about an armed citizenry being able to protect itself from an over-reaching government really holds water anymore. Let's be honest, if the US government ever REALLY wanted to start slapping people down, they've got bombers, Apache helicopters, remote controlled drones, and God knows what else. A bunch of homeowners with rifles wouldn't stand a chance against it.

As for the original question ...  I don't own a gun, I've never owned a gun, and I have no plans to ever own one in the future, so a total ban on gun possession wouldn't make much difference to me.

1. readytoescape profile image61
      readytoescapeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That response assumes a military populated by American Sons and Daughters would blindly comply with their orders and attack their own Mothers and Fathers, Brothers and Sisters.

I submit to you as the father of three currently serving in the military and relative of many more, whoever gives that order will be sorely disappointed in the result. The domestic enemy our military is sworn to defend would indeed be the entity issuing such an order.

1. FatFreddysCat profile image93
        FatFreddysCatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, that's a relief to hear. big_smile

...and thank you for your service to this country, sir!

7. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 11 years ago

I'm hearing all this bitching about people saying they are trying to take my right to defend myself away. Seriously, if you own a gun, would you ever really use it to defend yourself. If someone wants to kill you or do harm to your family, I don't think owning a gun is going to change that. Even if you had a machine gun in your arsenal, how much time do you think you have to get to it, before a killer got to you.

The problem is, the media glorifies murderers. Every time someone pulls out a gun and shoots someone, they plaster it all over the news and won't shut up about it. There are also way too many crime shows on TV that exaggerate the minds of criminals, making them look like they are too smart to get caught, and the stories are long and drawn out. Where in real life, a violent crime takes a matter of seconds, and the criminal doesn't say, don't move or I'm going to shoot you, they just do it and walk away. How much time do you think those kids had before they were mowed down.

People also keep saying that criminals will have guns no matter what. But, if you look at all the mass killings that have taken place, the guns were purchased in a store, or the family had a huge collection of guns, which the murderer used to kill innocent people. The average criminal does not own a machine gun, and they are far out numbered by average morons who have a stock pile of every weapon you can think of in the gun cabinet.

So yes. I think we should have gun control. There are not as many criminals in this world as there are gun owners who seem to snap for no apparent reason. As it is now, anyone can go into a store and buy any gun they want. Also, new laws are not going to stop some stores from looking the other way to sell a gun. It happens all the time. Most likely there are probably more gun stores who sell weapons illegally, than there are criminals who sell them on the street. Not to mention the gun and knife shows, where there is nobody checking to see who sells what. They also sell very nasty knives, for the sole purpose of killing.

Gun control will at least cut down on the mass numbers.

brim
      Gun control will at least cut down on the mass numbers.

Gun crowd control, I would rather be gay and control over population

1. brimancandy profile image78
        brimancandyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

One things about gays. Very few of us own guns. We are way too busy having fun and caring about humanity, to give a rats ass if someone is so selfish that they need to have a machine gun.  That would be the last thing on my want list. A hot dude holding a fake but realistic machine gun, while wearing a jock. Now, that I might be ok with. smile

If I swing by your gay camp, it's better I wear a stainless steel chastity belt .
          Just hope it dose not come down to Gays, Guns or God in the End

8. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

I would not advocate outlawing all gun ownership in America.

1. brimancandy profile image78
      brimancandyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There is a huge difference between gun control and outlawing guns. Gun control will mainly weed out people who should not legally own a gun. Like having any past criminal record, a stricter age requirement, and a limit to the amount of multiple shot weapons.

New gun control laws will not eliminate guns all together, it will just cut down on the number of those who have them, and maybe make some places a little safer.

9. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

The dead mother whose son killed her was presumably LESS safe with guns in the house. Had she lived she would be suffering terribly having had her guns used to kill children.

I assume gun owners are taking a lot more care with their guns now which must be a good thing.

So they lock them up and store the ammunition in a separate place.

Then there is a knock at the door.

"My God" they exclaim "T'is someone come to kill me and rape my cat".  They ask the caller to hold on by shouting through the door and find the keys and get the guns and the ammo.  Still shouting "Hold on" they load the weapon of maximum peace and adopt the crouch position.

Only then can they open the door and peer up at the visitor.

"Oh it's you Mom" they explain and put the safety back on.  Then they put the gun and the ammo away, lock it up, and hide the keys where junior won't find them.

But wait.

There was a kid from next door armed to the teeth who had walked up behind your Mom and is now taking aim.

Where does it stop I wonder?

Lol

It all sounds like the old"High Noon"

Don't encourage me.  I might end up talking nonsense.

"Hollywoodism: Jews, Movies and the American Dream"  "An Empire of Their Own: How the Jews Invented Hollywood"

But mostly it uses newsreel and film footage to demonstrate the influence of early American film on history and culture, and how the content of that film was determined by a handful of studio executives who happened to be Jewish immigrants.

High noon is one example

Went a world trade show, guess what culture the USA was showing, “Hollywood”

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
      mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is what I think, and in fact said to my Husband the other day. When everyone has a gun, then everyone is back to a 'level playing field' with no advantages over the others around them, what happens then? Does everyone 'raise the stakes' and start getting rocket launchers or hand grenades just to get the upper hand on their fellow humans? Unless something changes to get rid of guns, or create incredibly strict gun controls and severe penalties for those found in breach of those laws, then the only thing that will happen is more deaths.

We are already seeing this kind of 'weapon competitiveness' happening between countries, only these are massive weapons, and as soon as one country starts to look like it might be 'catching up' the other country does its level best to go one better and create even more destructive weapons.

It is a sad world we live in today, and more guns in private hands will exacerbate the problem, not provide the solution.

10. movingout profile image59
    movingoutposted 11 years ago

I'm not for banning all guns, but I feel people shouldn't be able to sell their guns on ebay or classified to others. Selling in those fashions can easily put a gun in the wrong hands! (No background check between private parties needs to be changed in my opinion)! The existing background check is useless if this isn't changed.

11. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 11 years ago

The imaginary world of gun control.
    http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/537487_311917028918515_1081486523_n.jpg

A smart person would learn the art of hiding.

In new Zombies movies they show zombies learned how to fire a guns, where is your Zombies hand guns?

Movies are old hat and behind the times.

Now they push a flame thrower into the rotting flesh and hide it - zombies like their meat cooked, too! smile

Next movie

12. Love4529 profile image61
    Love4529posted 11 years ago

For hunting wildlife, there is always the hunting bow and arrow.

13. Love4529 profile image61
    Love4529posted 11 years ago

For hunting wildlife, there is always the hunting bow and arrow.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)