FIXED: Intermittent issues posting comments (webkit: Safari, Chrome)

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (71 posts)
  1. breakfastpop profile image63
    breakfastpopposted 11 years ago

I have been experiencing problems trying to post comments. When I finish writing the comment it doesn't post and the screen returns to the top of the hub. Anyone in my boat?

1. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'll throw my experience in, just for the heck of it.  Have no idea if your issue may or may not be what mine was, but I had numerous serious & frustrating issues at one time, a few months back.  What you describe, was one of them.  It boiled down to some "glitches" per HP, some of my own computer problems and most of all...someone suggested I switch servers......from IE to Firefox.  A little work on my computer and switching to Firefox fixed it all.  Since I've used Firefox, I've had Zero difficulties.
      Hope you get this solved!......Happy New Year Pop.

breakfastpopposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the info. Now I have to ask my son-in-law what you mean! Happy New Year!

2. Matthew Meyer profile image72
      Matthew Meyerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@breakfastpop  Sorry to hear about the problems you are having posting comments. 
      Is the issue related to comments on Hubs from other users?
      Is it all Hubs or a subset of Hubs?

I just tested posting a comment using Safari 5.1.7 (the version you have) in Windows and was able to post a comment successfully.

It looks like you are using OS X 10.6.8.  Apple no longer provides updates to Safari for your version of OS X (you have Safari 5.1.7 and the newest version is 6.0.2) , so I would suggest trying a different browser.
      I just did a bit of research and it looks like the latest stable version of Firefox, (17) is supported by your version of OS X.

You can download Firefox for free here:
      http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/fx/#desktop

I am also going to do some further testing in OS X/Safari, but the machine I will be using is OS X 10.7.5, so I can't test the exact same browser/OS combo you are using.

It looks like @tillsontitan is reporting the issue in Chrome as well, so I am going to test that combo too see if I can reproduce the issue and get this to our engineering team.

Matthew, the problem is intermittent which makes it even more frustrating. Sometimes I can post and a minute later I can't. It occurs on my hubs and everyone else's hubs. As you can see lots of people are experiencing the same problem and we don't all have the same operating systems. As I  mentioned the buttons for FB and Twitter are missing.  Anything you can do will be appreciated. Happy New Year!
        I

3. A Driveby Quipper profile image56
      A Driveby Quipperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Have you ever heard of "screening your calls"?

4. Matthew Meyer profile image72

We just deployed a fix that should address this issue.
      I tested in Firefox, and multiple versions of Safari in OS X and Windows.

Since this was such an intermittent issue, I am leaving this thread open and monitoring it, so please let us know if you encounter the issue again.

I would suggest clearing your cache first.
      Thanks for everyone's patience!

Thank you Matthew! Everything worked fine today.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image72

Glad to hear it!

2. WillStarr profile image81
    WillStarrposted 11 years ago

Same here. I just copy my response, refresh the link, and then paste it back in and post. That seems to work.

It's just a temporary glitch.

Thanks Will,

Now all I have to do is figure out what you said!!

1. profile image55
        whoisitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have read some of your hubs recently and they are very good.

I am not sure if you mean my hubs, breakfastpop, or WillStarr's. Frankly I think they are both very good. Thanks so much!

1. profile image55
            whoisitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I meant yours.

Thank you and a very Happy and Health New Year to you and yours!

3. tillsontitan profile image82
    tillsontitanposted 11 years ago

Up until a few minutes ago I had not encountered the problem.  Now I have.  I was able to vote "interesting" but not "up", then when I went to post my comment couldn't do that either!  Thinking it was a glitch, I left that hubpage and went to another.  When I returned to the original page, I encountered the same problem.  Yet, other hubs work fine....hmmmm

It is very frustrating and frankly, I don't know why hubpages hasn't solved it yet.Happy New Year to you and yours.

I just did testing in Safari, Firefox, and Chrome in Windows 7 and OS X 10.7.5 and was unable to reproduce the issue.
      Can you provide an example Hub on which you are having issues posting comments?

4. LucidDreams profile image65
    LucidDreamsposted 11 years ago

I hate to say it but, as good of a website to write on that Hubpages once was, presently, there is nothing but problems here. I have used 3 profiles over the years and been here for almost 5. I have never seen so many techincal complaints and problems happening like the last couple of months. Almost seems like nothing is working correctly. Maybe one day it will all get sorted out.

5. Deborah Demander profile image89
    Deborah Demanderposted 11 years ago

Yes, it is frustrating. It deters me from wanting to leave comments. After I leave a long and what I consider to be well thought out comment, it doesn't load. Then I have to try and remember the pithy comments, and witty remarks. Not so easy when you get to be my age.
    But i will press on! Happy New Year to you all,
    Namaste

Despite the annoyance of this mess your comment made me laugh. Now I just write 2 or 3 words and try to post it. If it works I go back in and finish. Happy New Year!

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
      DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I know what you mean about the age thing...LOL
      I've found that if I keep a blank  Word document open, I can easily write or answer comments there, then just copy/paste...so, if it didn't work, I haven't lost what I was going to say...just try again.

3. tillsontitan profile image82
      tillsontitanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You can cut/or copy your comment when you leave the page and have to come back again.  It is annoying but at least by doing it that way you don't have to remember or re-write.

I would like to see the problem resolved.

6. tlpoague profile image79
    tlpoagueposted 11 years ago

Yesterday I tried to post several comments and only about half posted. One of them happened to be in the forum where I started to post a comment, skipped it to make a hub about it, then went back to comment because I realized too late that I didn't have enough information for a hub. Neither of the two comments are there. I am also having problems with uploading a background photo for my profile page. At first I thought it was because the photo wasn't the right size. I tried to re-size it and it still didn't work. When I went to upload my old background photo, it too wouldn't load. I tried IE and Firefox to see if maybe it was browser issues. The help post in the forums is not longer there, so I emailed the team and am waiting for a response. Between uploading photo issues and comments that still aren't working that great today, I am just reading hubs as I can and voting on them. Hopefully these issues will be worked out soon.

Sorry you had so much trouble posting to the forums this weekend.

Did you have trouble posting this forum comment a few minutes ago?

As for the image upload issue, are you still having trouble today?
      Did you receive a specific error message?

If you can provide some details, I can test and try to reproduce the issue.
      Once I can reproduce it, we can then send it to our engineers to be addressed.

In the meantime, I recommend clearing your browser cache, then close and restart your browser.

7. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

Comments not posting have been a problem for me also.

8. tlpoague profile image79

Thanks Matthew,
    My first comment on the forums didn't show up. (I thought it was because I had exited out to write a hub, but later changed my mind.) So I posted a second comment which triggered the message...you have posted a similar answer to this question. I refreshed the page to see if the comment showed up and it too wasn't there. Not sure if it didn't posted either of them because they were to much alike (part of it was a copy and paste message,) or if there was something else wrong. I went to try and answer a few other hubs, then tried to see if my forum answer showed up, but it never did. My hub comments just wouldn't submit even though I had tried to submit them. I don't remember seeing a message pop up with them. (Even clearing my cashe and restarting my browser didn't help at the time I was having issues.)
    My upload issue has been fixed. I'm not sure what the problem was there. I tried two different browsers with that issue in case one of my browsers were corrupted. It didn't upload with either one. So I emailed the team and they seemed to have fixed it for now. (Thanks guys!) I did noticed that it would go through the process up uploading the picture, but would only give back a blank screen when it finished. It didn't give a message if the picture was too big or two small, or any other specifics. I tried re-sizing the photos in different ways to see if that was the problem. It still didn't load. (Firefox had a count down while IE just showed an arrow going in circles.) I did notice that the hub in the Learning Center to help with uploading photos has been removed and is no longer there, so that didn't help to look there or trying to search for information on the issue. Nothing to help upload pictures came up.
    I haven't tried commenting on any more hubs for a while, so I am not sure if I am still having problems with that.
    I hope this helps. Thanks for taking the time to check it out. Happy New Year!

Thanks for the additional info.
      I have sent info related to the image upload issues to our engineers.  The issues seems to be intermittent, and in my observation affects Internet Explorer more than other browsers.

Since the photo uploader uses Flash, you can sometimes bypass issues by using the non-Flash upload version.  The main caveat being you can only upload one file at a time.

I am going to do some more testing to see try and reproduce the comment problems that several users are encountering.

If anyone runs into the issue again, please let us know an example Hub/forum soon and we might be able to track down and see if we are getting the comment and not posting it or is perhaps their is an issue with the browser sending it or another connectivity issue.

Can you provide an example Hub to which you posted a comment, but did not see it? Thanks.  Happy New Year!

1. tlpoague profile image79
        tlpoagueposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The forum was Doesn't all the blame begin...and end at home? I don't remember all the hubs that I had issues with. It was a variety of topics. Thanks for the help and I will keep that in mind.

9. WillStarr profile image81

I'm using Chrome, and have the same, intermittent problem posting comments. I can post more often than I can't, so it's something like once out of six or seven attempts.

10. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years ago

I have a question semi-related to the advice given in this thread, regarding Firefox.

Supposedly, HP is "optimized for Firefox,"  (whatever that means...)  but...I have nothing but problems of one sort or another on FF, and everything goes smoothly when using Chrome.

(IE has its own set of issues, and I rarely use it for anything anymore...even the stupid games on Face Book fail to run properly on IE.)

My main gripe about FF, is that, when editing a Hub, I am blocked from copy/paste when I want to move things around.  I can copy/cut, but it won't let me paste back into another capsule.  I get a dialog box telling me I have to go through some complex set of steps on my computer in order to get this function.
    Sorry, but I'm a very long way from a tech/IT person, and I know only this about messing with settings in one's computer:  "If you don't know what it is, or what it does, don't f*** with it!!

So, for writing here, I much prefer Chrome to FF, because it does not have that annoying "paste block."

Most of us at HubPages use Firefox.
      I use Firefox and Chrome in both Windows and OS X.
      If you have no issues with Chrome, then I would suggest using it.

There is nothing inherent in Firefox that doesn't allow copying or pasting.
      In fact, I just copied formatted text (HTML) successfully from one text capsule to another (including hyperlinks).

It sounds like your browser might have permissions or configuration issues.

You might remedy the issue, by uninstalling Firefox.
      Then restart your computer, and install the latest stable version of Firefox (17.0.1 when I wrote this).

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86

???  Aren't Firefox, Chrome, IE, etc. all "the browsers?"  How would "my browser" have problems, if those ARE browsers?  I'm confused, now.

@DzyMsLizzy
          The issue you are experiencing appears to be related to your computer and not to the HubPages site.  Your computer has an operating system, user privileges, that could potentially be the issue.  The issue you described having problems copying and pasting in Firefox is NOT how Firefox normally functions, so I suggested removing it and reinstalling as I don't think more detailed troubleshooting steps would be helpful for you. 

Again, if you are NOT having any problems with Chrome as you stated, then I would still advise you use Chrome.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86

Ok--thank you.

11. moonlake profile image81
    moonlakeposted 11 years ago

No problems here posting comments or on the forums. I use IE.
    I did have problems getting on my account yesterday but that has cleared up today.

12. midget38 profile image87
    midget38posted 11 years ago

I have been experiencing the same problem. I need to refresh before posting a comment, not just in a forum, but in hubs as well. And it's the same for iPhones and Ipads too.

For iOS devices, have you tried using the HubPages app?
      I just tested posting comments via the app and was successful in doing so.
      You can find the app here:
      https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hubpage … 44783?mt=8

13. midget38 profile image87
    midget38posted 11 years ago

For IPhones, comments cannot even be posted.

14. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

I have a lot of trouble commenting with iPhone. Sometimes I am not finished when it suddenly posts. So many times I comment on hubs, and it disappears and won't post on computer. I thought it was my fault. Copy paste here I come.

15. WillStarr profile image81

I have had numerous problems posting comments to Hubs (other than my own). I use Chrome, while others use IE and FF.

It's a problem with HubPages.

Will, can you provide specific examples of Hubs to which you have tried to post comments? If so, we can look into them.

16. WillStarr profile image81

Thanks Will.  I will test it a bit and see if I can reproduce the issue.
      If you experience another one and have time to report it as it happens, I will be monitoring this thread.  My hope is that if I am closer in time to when you are seeing the issue, then I might be able to reproduce it.

Matthew,

I am having the problem on my hubs and others as well. I know I may be repeating myself, but yesterday i had the buttons allowing me to send my hub to Twitter and FB. Today, after i published I had nothing. This whole thing is driving me crazy.

I just tested using Safari in OS X 10.7.5 and saw all of the social media buttons on one of your Hubs.
          From all the different issues you are seeing, my guess would be that you might have ISP or other network/internet connectivity issues.

The first thing I would advise is to use Firefox (or Chrome), as Apple no longer provides Safari updates for your operating system (OS X 10.6.8).

Matthew, I appreciate your advice, but I have to say that many people are having issues and they don't have Safari. This morning the "buttons" were there and I can post a comment every other time.  Are you still trying to solve the mystery?

I have information based on testing that does indicate that Safari is affected more.  We have been working on the issue this entire time and it looks like we are tracking down an issue with browsers that use an older version of WebKit (used by Safari and Chrome, but not Firefox).  The issue appears to occur when someone posts more than once to the same item.

Okay, thanks. I'll just try and hang in there.

17. WillStarr profile image81

The key word is 'intermittent'.

The only clue I can give you is that it does not seem to happen when I'm answering comments on my own Hubs...just on other Hubs.

Good luck

The intermittent issues as much harder to track down for sure!

18. WillStarr profile image81

I'm using Chrome, and when I post a new Hub, the 'post to Facebook' button is no longer there and hasn't been for some time. All I get is a Facebook 'like' button.

The Like button also allows you to post the link along with a comment to Facebook.  Make sure you are logged into Facebook, and have Facebook linked to your profile.

Click the Like button and then you will be prompted to enter a comment and should see the "Post to Facebook" button in the dialog that opens.

I just tested it in Chrome and it is working for me.

19. WillStarr profile image81

The point is, it has changed from an easy click and simply post the link, to what you have described.

Why?

We have made recent changes to decrease Hub load times and the social media buttons, mainly because they rely on external sites (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc.) and/or API calls to the same, were substantially slowing down load times (you could almost see them load in front of your eyes).

20. JyurriOukan profile image60
    JyurriOukanposted 11 years ago

Just copy your comment, reload the page, and try to post it.

21. WillStarr profile image81

"The issue appears to occur when someone posts more than once to the same item."

It happened twice to me this morning, and on first time comments on two new Hubs. I am using Chrome.

This is what happens:

1) I open a comment widow, and type out my comment.

2) I hit 'submit', and the page reopens back to the top, but my comment is still on the comment box, un-posted.  if I submit again, it returns to the top of the page again, and still un-posted

3) I then C&P my comment, refresh the Hub, open the comment box, paste my answer, and resubmit. This  usually works.

Hope that helps.

Will,

The workaround you described should help circumvent the problem until we get a fix posted.  It looks like we are getting close to tracking down the specific issue, so hopefully we will have this remedied soon. 

Thanks to everyone for your continued patience!

1. tillsontitan profile image82
        tillsontitanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have been doing the same as Matthew Meyer.
        DzyMsLizzy, all browsers are different....there is some little peculiarity that makes them more useful, more open, more vulnerable, more a lot of things.  So, what you can't do in one, you can in another.

22. tlpoague profile image79

I was just  commenting on the hub "Tortilla Shell Salad Bowl Recipe Ideas" and couldn't get the Facebook button to work. It acts as if it posted it, but doesn't bring up a comment box or post button. I haven't tried the Twitter button yet. (I was and still am signed into Facebook when I tried to share the hub.) It doesn't show up on my FB profile either.

I just checked that Hub and was able to Like it and post a comment.  The like count was increased on the Hub and the post made it to my Facebook timeline as well.  I am using Windows 7 and Firefox 17.0.1.  I will see if I can try it on an XP machine.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7538297_f248.jpg

23. tlpoague profile image79

I am currently using Firefox not sure which version. I haven't tried any others since I posted this last comment. I am still figuring out Firefox since switching over from IE. I will try a few more again before I log off to see if I have anymore problems.

It seems to have worked itself out. I can post to FB now, but it still isn't bringing up a comment window or post button. It just posted it to my profile. Thanks for looking into it and all your help.

So you are clicking the FB Like button and it doesn't show the comment box?
        If possible, can you provide a screenshot of how it is behaving?

I'm not sure how to do that, but will give it a try if you can give me instructions.

The sticky FAQ for this forum has instructions:
            "Technical Problem Forum FAQ - Please read before posting any issue!"
            http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/99079

I also just tested it in Firefox 17.0.1 in XP and it is still working for me (see screenshot).

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7538991_f248.jpg

24. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 11 years ago

Yes, have had the same problem as the initial comment here. Was beginning to wonder if it was just me.

It is not a consistent problem, but I've had to work at getting comments posted.  I even gave up a couple of times.   Sometimes a comment will be refused and return to the top of the page once and then it will post on the second try, and sometimes it takes several attempts that include opening a new page until the comment posts.  I don't think I've opened a new page more than 4 times.  Most often it has been 2-3 times. 

It's been odd because it only happens in spurts--no rhyme or reason that I can see.

It certainly isn't just you and frankly, I feel relieved thatI still have company when it comes to this maddening problem. This whole mess reminds me of the times I have had a problem with my car and the mechanic just can't replicate the problem!

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)