photos use

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (31 posts)
  1. cre8ivOne profile image69
    cre8ivOneposted 11 years ago

Can anyone point me to the page about acceptable photo websites?  I have lost track of this page and my options.  Thanks much!

2. Paul Maplesden profile image76
    Paul Maplesdenposted 11 years ago

There's a great hub on using Flickr here: http://marisawright.hubpages.com/_bbpnt … -Your-Hubs

cre8ivOneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much I will check it out. smile

3. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Here's our official guide to proper image use: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/legal-image-use

It includes links to a lot of sites that offer Public Domain and Creative Commons images! big_smile

1. profile image0
      Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

However, if they don't have a photo regarding your subject matter you are actually screwed.

1. profile image0
        Casimiroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You can always take your own photos or make drawings. You may not be able to make a photo or drawing of *exactly* what you want, but with thought and creativity, I think you can get the point across.

Thanks Casimiro
          I have already done my own illustrations for some hubs and taken my own pics, I just needed to be refreshed on the best and safest ways to borrow photos.

2. cre8ivOne profile image69

Thank you Simone, you are so great at helping everyone smile

4. Louise Lately profile image60
    Louise Latelyposted 11 years ago

If you are looking for photos that you can use without paying or worrying about copyright issues - Visit http://www.corbis.com or http://www.gettyimages.com and tick the 'royalty free' option when you search. These are really good photo sites and will have a wide selection to choose from:)

Louise ~ Thanks much I will certainly look these sites over!

5. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years ago

The learning centre link Simone posted is actually very helpful and very clear. The following link is perfect for finding free images because you can choose the site it searches, and it includes, Flickr, Google etc etc etc (I now use it all the time and can usually find what I need very easily, mostly on the Flickr section):

http://search.creativecommons.org/

mistyhorizon, thanks a million!  I will check it out when I write my next hub smile

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
        mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are very welcome smile

2. Millionaire Tips profile image91
      Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is what I use as well, and there are usually plenty of photos from Flickr to choose from.  If not, I use the Wikimedia option.

1. profile image0

I haven't had good luck finding photos on Flickr that aren't protected.

It is hard work to track them down if you just go to Flickr and look because you have to navigate your way through all the 'not free' images to find the free ones. The search link I provided just before this post takes you straight to all the numerous thousands of free images on whichever site you select, including Flickr (which is where I get most of my free images from now).

Casimiro, I have noticed the same thing at times.  I have begun to take several of my own photos to get exactly what I want/need.

6. pradiiphira profile image68
    pradiiphiraposted 11 years ago

hello,
    there are many websites, which provide royalty free images like, istockphotos.com, or gettyimages.com or shutterstock.com and many others. you can find appropriate image for your hub from there. in Google image search they show all type of images either they are free or paid. so it is advisable to find images in this type of sites.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image91
      Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

All three of these sites also have images that are for sale, so you do have to be careful that you are choosing the royalty free ones unless you have a subscription.

1. chasmac profile image89
        chasmacposted 11 years agoin reply to this

'Royalty free' doesn't mean free to download. You still have to pay although some sites do offer some free images.

One of my income streams is from selling 'royalty free' images on a couple of those sites. Royalty free refers to the terms of usage. It's a legal term meaning that once purchased, the buyer can use the image indefinitely (but with certain restrictions) without paying any royalties to the photographer for each usage.

Thanks millionairetips, good to know!

7. Spongy0llama profile image82
    Spongy0llamaposted 11 years ago

go to wikimedia.com and click on the Wikimedia Commons icon towards the bottom of the page. It's a search engine exclusively for public domain images.

1. profile image0

It's one of the best and it gives you all the attribution information you need. The selection is not much better though than the other sites.

If people follow this link (I also posted it before) it includes a load of such sites, but one search box, so all you do is type in your search words, then click on the box with the name of the site you want to search within. Apart from Flickr etc, it also has  Wikimedia Commons, Google images, Pixabay, Fotopedia etc. You can tick the two boxes that say you want to search for pictures you can 'use for commercial purposes', and you want to 'modify, build or adapt upon'. Basically it is a 'one stop shop' for free images and saves you jumping around all over the internet trying to find the individual web sites. Here the main ones are all on one page.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7588011_f248.jpg

8. sleepylog profile image61
    sleepylogposted 11 years ago

Hi, I wrote this hub Free Images You Can Use Legally, Including Pictures of People which lists several websites from which you can download images for use in your hubs. Some might require attribution so be sure to read all their terms of use.

9. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

To second the point, 'royalty free' is not free.  It means you pay one fee up front and do not to pay ongoing royalties.

As far as I know Corbis does *not* offer free pictures, nor does Getty (next to every picture not the "price" tab--you are meant to pay that to use them).  Stock agencies like istock offer maybe a handful of promotional freebies. Please do not use stock thumbnails or display sampled, they are not free to use.

It is best to stick to wikimedia commons, morguefile and sxu that are all free to use, or flikr searches for free to use stuff (see "advanced search".)

10. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

In Flikr I just use the advanced search to narrow options of free work.  No point looking at stuff you can't have.

psycheskinner,
      I do believe you are  making an excellent point as I have been frustrated to find the perfect picture and it is not usable.

If you use the search.creativecommons.org I posted a few posts back it already has Flickr on there and only shows you the free photos, but if Flickr doesn't have what you want you can immediately transfer your search term to one of the other choices of sites it also shows in one click, and all on the same page.

11. cre8ivOne profile image69
    cre8ivOneposted 11 years ago

Thank you Misty for your posts,, I have bookmarked it on my computer so I can easily access it. smile

Excellent, I must confess I can't even begin to imagine searching 'one site at a time' any more, especially now all the 'free images' are in one place (for the most part). That site has saved me many hours of time smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)